USA Rewind

*Central back Oguchi Onyewu tore the patella tendon in his left knee and will be sidelined at least three or four months. If all goes well, he would return in February, but with the AC Milan lineup difficult to crack even under the best circumstances, perhaps a rehab loan will be in order? "He's young, he's healthy, our doctors are good, and he's someone, for sure, is going to get back," Coach Bob Bradley said. "Nonetheless, it is another setback for us."

*This match marked the fifth time in 10 final-round qualifiers -- and the fourth in the past six games -- that the USA came from behind to earn points. Like against Costa Rica at RFK, they answered a two-goal deficit to steal a tie at El Salvador. They also shook off one-goal deficits to beat Honduras at home and on the road, and to defeat El Salvador at home. (They surrendered the lead in a defeat once -- at Mexico.)

*Looking ahead to the draw in Cape Town on Dec. 4, where the eight top seeds will be based on the previous three World Cups and FIFA rankings, "I think it will be very hard for us to get seeded -- not impossible," USSF President Sunil Gulati said. "With Argentina qualifying, I think it makes it a little bit harder. If France were to qualify, then depending on the criteria used, we've been pushing hard that it should be based on the last official FIFA tournament, which would be the Confederations Cup." [laughter]

*After the respectful reception the Americans received in Honduras last weekend, "our guys aren't disappointed with who is going to Montevideo," Gulati said, referring to the Catrachos finishing third and Costa Rica having to play Uruguay in a two-leg playoff next month. When is Jonathan Bornstein Day in Tegucigalpa?

*Besides the friendly at Denmark on Nov. 18, the USSF is looking at a possible match four days earlier in Europe. A deal could be finalized next week.

*Bradley visited Charlie Davies in the hospital Wednesday morning and observed a doctor testing Davies' responses. The doctor "is a real personality. I could hear him say, 'Charles, can you open your eyes?' And sure enough, he did. When [the doctor] was done and he talked to the family, he said the responses continued to be good and that, in some cases, the ones that aren't there yet have more to do with the fact that there is still a lot of medication to keep him comfortable."

Read my match report.

Watch the USA-CR video and the Honduras-El Salvador highlights, which includes player reaction after they learn they've qualified:

By Steve Goff  |  October 15, 2009; 2:20 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , CONCACAF , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: USA-Costa Rica
Next: Thursday Kickaround

Comments

Thanks for the highlights Goff

On Onyewu, for knee injuries don't they normally have to wait to ensure there is no ligament damage until after the MRI?

Clearly he did something - patela tendon is the injury fat-Ronaldo did twice I think.

Hopefully he'll be back in time to get game fit for SA 2010. I know he has the desire, will his body respond well to treatment is the question.

Posted by: BBFunnyMan | October 15, 2009 2:48 AM | Report abuse

Well -- in this case, Gooch will be under the knife and scope. They won't need an MRI since they'll have an inside look -- but if it's a complete rupture of the patella tendon, you can see that just by looking at the knee from the outside.

If anyone's interested, I took some snaps. Cell phone photos, but not so bad. I wish the shot of the second goal came out -- alas, it was too blurry to post, but my timing would have been perfect.

Posted by: fischy | October 15, 2009 3:29 AM | Report abuse

Hi Goff :) Greetings from Cape Town Remember you mentioned Joanne's blog ?
Check the construction progress of our magnificent new Green Point Stadium now, it should be ready by Dec 4th

Posted by: Fromjoanne | October 15, 2009 5:26 AM | Report abuse

Surprised to hear the 26,000 attendance number. Lower bowl looked completely full, uper bowl look almost half full. Thought that would put the attendance figure in the mid-30's.

Posted by: Ron16 | October 15, 2009 7:11 AM | Report abuse

It's good that we can rely on some of our players to be heroes for a day.

It's bad that we need some of our players to become heroes.

You can build neither tactics nor strategy on that.

We had very good opportunities to score before the first goal and many times since. Unfortunately, what I said above is truth: we don't have enough class. On this level heart helps, on higher level - it won't be enough.

All that said, I am happy for our guys: Congratulations to all !

Posted by: Tolik | October 15, 2009 7:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm a big fan of Jose Torres and thought he did well overall last night ... but isn't he to blame for the Oneyuwu injury? His dreadful corner kick forced Gooch to backpedal awkwardly and slip on the wet turn, causing the injury. If the corner was on target, Gooch would have been stationary or running towards the ball ...

Posted by: jofij | October 15, 2009 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Any details on what caused the CR coach to get thrown out? From TV I thought I saw that a sub was coming in for #6 and that was already on the 4th official's board and then #5 got hurt and maybe the coach wanted to switch who was coming out. Ultimately, it appeared the sub did come in for #5. But do we have any comments from the officials or anyone else on what happened there?

Oh, and congrats to the USMNT! I understand how the seeds work, but if a country finishes last in their automatic qualifying round (e.g., ARG), it seems like they shouldn't get a seed.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | October 15, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

I knew finishing first wouldn't really matter with regards to the seedings.

jofif, that's ridiculous.

Not sure who I prefer in the playoff. On one hand, Costa Rica would be another representative; on the other, I would get to see guys like the underappreciated Diego Forlan in the World Cup.

Learned something new, while looking at the Uruguay squad; there is a River Plate in Uruguay, as well. And a Liverpool.

Posted by: Reignking | October 15, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | October 15, 2009 7:49 AM |
____________________________________
If you understand how the seeds work, then you know everything FIFA does is based on how much money it will bring in, not the fairness of a decision or its real benefit to competition. FIFA needs Argentina in the tournament, and they need it to stay in as long as possible to maximize revenue. The US? Feh, not so much. So, guess who gets the seed?

Posted by: schmuckatelli | October 15, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

So, who is the best team left out so far? Sweden?

Posted by: Reignking | October 15, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Will the real Conor Casey please stand up? That shank at 8:59 ruined what would have been a magical moment, and that wasn't even his worst moment. It also set the tone for an evening of atrocious finishing—Donovan, Altidore, Rogers.

Even though he was beaten badly on the second goal, Bornstein looked pretty good even before his goal. But Cherundolo was better. I'd still like to see Dolo starting with Spector on the left. Maybe Castillo settles that conversation.

And with Torres, Feilhaber and Holden showing well, it'll be a crowded midfield
when Jermaine Jones shows up.

Anyway, I knew all along they'd come back somehow. They didn't want to spoil their undefeated record when I'm at a game. A home tie never felt so much like a win.

Posted by: benonthehill | October 15, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

So, who is the best team left out so far? Sweden?

Posted by: Reignking | October 15, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Croatia. Ranked #9 in the world.

Sweden is #41.

Posted by: kyureosity | October 15, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Moving forward, we need to get some games in place and start acclimating some of the replacements. For Gooch, it seems like we have a bit of depthM Whether Demerit comes back or Goodson or Marshall are ready, we have somebody to fill in. That definitely moves Boca back into the middle and we have to decide on Bornstein on left or Spector on left.
Up front, we have a bigger problem because nobody possess what Davies was starting to bring to the matches. I haven't seen Cooper do anything for the National Team yet so I'm not sold on him. I'll throw out a couple of names: Cunningham and Wolf. Do we give Cunningham a couple of games to see what he can do with Altidore? It may be worth it. Wolf is playing okay and may be able to be the pest that Davies has been for other team's defenses.

Posted by: jsm3 | October 15, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Excerpted from here:

Simoes, who coached Jamaica at the 1998 World Cup finals, missed the decisive final minutes after he was sent off for arguing with the referee and the fourth official and had to be escorted from the bench by stadium security.

The Brazilian said he had argued with the referee about a mix-up when the wrong number was produced for a substitution but the official initially refused to accept the change of number.

"I had to tell him 'please change that' it was a mistake but he didn't accept that. It was unfortunate."

Posted by: jamest1 | October 15, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Cunningham has been given chances in the past and has not impressed. Same (more recently) with Wolff.

Replacing Davies' pace and finishing will be a top concern for Bob and Co. Of course, as we saw last night, the whole gang should practice composure and finishing for the next 9 months.

Posted by: 22206no1 | October 15, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Michael Bradley is on the team only because he's the coach's son.

[Is that joke still funny?]

Well done to those of you at the game last night. I strongly suspect you helped push our boys in the closing minutes to get the tie and help out Honduras. Great stuff.

For those of you up front -- did Casey's shining noggin hurt your eyes?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | October 15, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

@Reignking: I would prefer CR in the WC. The half slot is a precious thing that can be taken away. With 4 CONCACAF teams in the WC, we can argue to keep the half slot.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 15, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

With Brazil hosting in 2014, I assume that they will adjust it, anyway.

Posted by: Reignking | October 15, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Am I crazy, or does it look like the Honduran keeper pulled his hand back away from the shot? Look at the 2:00 mark at the replay from behind. Very strange...

Posted by: mcn107 | October 15, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Looked like he didn't want to commit and risk putting his head on the post in a game that meant nothing to ES.

So Pavon finishes on the tough ones, eh?

Posted by: benonthehill | October 15, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Honduras? You're welcome. Trinidad? Thank you.

Posted by: troy6 | October 15, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

The USA-Costa Rica game yesterday was one of the most emotional and exciting games I have seen in a long time. I wonder how many other teams who are already qualified would have put as much effort as the US did last night.

Posted by: JPHT | October 15, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

my head hurts and my voice is gone, but man was that fun.

on the other hand, what a godawful week for American players in the washington area. get well soon, Gooch.

Posted by: troy6 | October 15, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

D'oh. None of these videos show up for me. Stupid work and blocking everything.

I must say that after the tying goal, I just kept laughing.

Posted by: WarrenWallace | October 15, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Re the Simoes early exit...

Sitting in the stadium it looked like the real dispute was the referee directing the "injured" CR player off the field for a period and Simoes then trying to change the substitution (that had been standing there for awhile) to that player (I think it was #5). The referees properly caught Simoes in a total BS move. Between their wasting time and the Simoes ejection, they essentially gave us the extra time we needed.

Posted by: jnel | October 15, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

good pix, fischy. dadryan and I were sitting just off to your right.

Posted by: troy6 | October 15, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

When Bradley and others said that they wanted to lock up WC qualifying in Honduras, because anything can happen if it goes down to the last game, they were SOOOOO right.

If we can schedule several friendlies in the months before Gooch is back, that will tell us who else might be able to play at this level, and will tell us whether Cooper should take Davies place instead of Casey.

Casey was easily defended most of last night by the smaller but quicker Tico defenders, it seemed to me, and that doesn't give me much confidence about him for the WC.

Didn't get to see much of Cooper, but the little I saw made me think he's quicker and faster and just as much of a target man than Casey.

With all our injuries, we really need to see how some others do. Missing Davies and Gooch and DeMerit, we really need to explore options in some depth.

Posted by: tgrahame1 | October 15, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Croatia. Ranked #9 in the world.

Sweden is #41.

Posted by: kyureosity | October 15, 2009 8:40 AM

Yeah - Croatia are a very talented squad (who were hot sh*t going into Euro 2008) - and now they don't even get a crack at the playoffs.

Tough luck for Sweden though as well. They lost two matches (both to fierce rivals Denmark) and they're done. I'll just go ahead and sound like a total Eurosnob, but I'd argue that UEFA Group 1 (Portugal, Denmark, Sweden, Hungary, Albania, Malta) was a tougher qualifying group than CONCACAF's hex. And we got 3 + playoff and they got 1 + playoff.

Whatever the comparisons - I'm just happy the US booked their ticket on Saturday and won the group last night! Fun match to watch in person.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 15, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

You gotta love the Hondurans. At The Herald (http://www.elheraldo.hn/)they have a headline in English: "I love you so much Jonathan Bornstein"

Posted by: Lucius2 | October 15, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure Olimpia is working on buying Bornstein at this moment...

Posted by: Reignking | October 15, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Honduras? You're welcome. Trinidad? Thank you.

Posted by: troy6 | October 15, 2009 9:32 AM

Reminds me (again) of the nice post-match chat that Bob Bradley had with Russell Latapy that ESPN caught with their mics last month. Bradley and Latapy exchanged compliments about the teams then Bradley said something to the effect of "hey, take out one of those big boys for us" (Mexico, CR, etc). Latapy gave him a nod. Thanks Russell - very pleased to finish above Mexico!

Posted by: Kev29 | October 15, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Just noticed Julius James didn't play last night because he had received a red card against Costa Rica over the weekend.

Posted by: Reignking | October 15, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

* Simoes clown act may cost his squad a berth.

* CLINT DEMPSEY. Can anyone else on this team finish chances?

Posted by: OWNTF | October 15, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the pics, Fischy.

Man, I wanted to be there so bad!!

Excellent representation to all that were at the stadium. I was standing in my basement holding up my number 9 sign.

I was looking for you on the tube dadryan....didn't see you, but I should have known you were there. See ya' Saturday.

Get well soon, Charlie and Gooch!!

Vamos USA! Vamos United!

Posted by: Smitty8 | October 15, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Honduras:

1) Are the 3rd best team in CONCACAF right now, in my opinion,

2) Haven't qualified since 1982, and

3) Were respectful to us when we played down there, which is an extremely rare thing in CONCACAF.

I'm very glad that they're going to the World Cup. Nothing against Costa Rica (maybe they'll still go), but I was pulling for Honduras this time around.

Posted by: jsm91 | October 15, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Did you enjoy the smoke, fisch?:)

Posted by: Reignking | October 15, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Right now, I'd expect Cunningham to get a look in next month's Europe friendlies (unless Dallas is still playing). If not him, then maybe Jemal Johnson gets a call, or Eddie Johnson? There's got to be some concern about who will play in defense. Maybe Orozco gets a call, or even Omar Gonzalez? Castillo, of course, if he's healthy. Any Europe-based candidates? I wouldn't want to see Parkhurst get another chance. Perhaps Jay Needham gets a look, or Hunter Freeman?

Posted by: fischy | October 15, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

@Reignking -- Smoke? Was there smoke? Were there any smoke bombs? I must not have noticed...;)

Posted by: fischy | October 15, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Cool doc on '98 French team showing tonight in DC:

Posted by: edgeonyou | October 15, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

1. i was definitely rooting for honduras. i just enjoy watching them play + they seem a lot more respectful. pavon = redemption!

2. thank you bornstein, but i prefer spector and cherundolo as our outside backs, with demerit and boca in the middle.

3. what about robbie findley for a look-see? he seems to match davies speed, doesn't he?

Posted by: birdynumnum | October 15, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I was actually fine with Costa Rica going through when they were two nil up. That second goal was a rocket - I thought, "good for them". But I really have little pity for a team that can't see out a win like men. Silly time wasting, manager and assistant sent off for sub tactics. And then look what happens - they added time to their own match and it bit them in the a$$ in the 95th minute! Not to mention their useless approach to the second half. If you're going to be negative and put ten men behind the ball, at least do it properly.

Good luck to them against Uruguay - they'll need it.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 15, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

@jnel. I thought the same thing--all their time wasting only gave us the time needed.

Posted by: dougenglish | October 15, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

The President of Honduras has declared today a holiday and has invited Bornstein to an all expenses paid vacation to the Bay Islands of Honduras:

Posted by: emondero | October 15, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Let's not forget Spector can also play CB (has said in the past it is his preferred position). Maybe BB should take a look at him there during a friendly as well as Castillo at LB. Cherundolo looked good at RB - reminding us why he used to be a lock there. The goal was great, but otherwise Bornstein was regularly beaten and handing the ball to CR.

If neither Holden not Rogers is starting by June, they look like locks as super subs, and Torres really impressed me this time. Bradley also had a good game - stayed cool, made no crazy slide tackles even on the wet surface. Feilhaber only OK from where I sat.

Great game, great atmosphere, section 309 didn't seem like it was on the "quiet" side. Lot's of 9's during the tribute around us, standing most of the game, USA chants - just missing the songs, smoke and heavier beer consumption.

Posted by: sportsparenttoo | October 15, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

CLINT DEMPSEY. Can anyone else on this team finish chances?
Posted by: OWNTF
=================

Maybe Deuce will realize that his MF spot is open for competition and will be motivated to play harder for the US. OTOH, maybe Bradley will move him into Davies' F slot for the full 90, rather than the last 15.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 15, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I think it is karma for the way Costa Rica treats US players when they play in San Jose, throwing stuff at them. It was so sweet to see their dreams snuffed out in stoppage time. The US ripped Costa Rica's hearts out of their chests and showed them to them.

Posted by: GeneWells | October 15, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

ESPN's article on Gooch's injury. You HAVE to check out the pic. They put up a picture of some random black AC Milan player, not Gooch.

Posted by: adamsunited | October 15, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

They put up a picture of some random black AC Milan player, not Gooch.

Posted by: adamsunited | October 15, 2009 11:00 AM

Wow

Posted by: Kev29 | October 15, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Did you enjoy the smoke, fisch?:)

Posted by: Reignking | October 15, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Good one, RK!

Fischy....I don't think that was the smoke he was talking about :)

Posted by: Smitty8 | October 15, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

* CLINT DEMPSEY. Can anyone else on this team finish chances?

Posted by: OWNTF | October 15, 2009 10:07 AM

Yeah I had a similar thought. Mine was that if we ever seen him again it needs to be at forward and forward ONLY. He could be really effective there.

The Davies injury may give him a chance to play or save us from having to watch his awful performances in the midfield.

Posted by: benonthehill | October 15, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

some up top said it, but a home tie never felt so rewarding. i felt pretty good for the Ticos supporters when the scored that 2nd goal, you could tell they knew they were on the doorstep of SA2010. but the timewasting, and chanting during Gooch's obviously serious injury really ticked me off. and in the end, the time wasting was what undid 18 months of effort. you'd think some of these teams would learn...

Posted by: VTUnited | October 15, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

From Charlie Boehm's Twitter, apparently Milan may file a claim with the USSF asking them to pay Gooch's Milan salary. Are they really that broke?

Posted by: Section117 | October 15, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

sitting? I don't recall us sitting... I would have gotten my pants wet had I sat. ;-)
Had a blast, and I think I got another neighbor hooked on the game last night!

Sorry about Gooch, hope he gets well soon. That ESPN article with a picture that isn't him is a disgrace.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 15, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Bornstein could be interim President of Honduras long enough for them to hold an election?

Posted by: OWNTF | October 15, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section117 | October 15, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse
--------------------

Read the ESPN article on Gooch linked above:

"I'm very angry because once again the national teams take our players and we have to pay the consequences of injuries," Milan chief executive Adriano Galliani was quoted as saying by Italian media on Thursday.

"We demand compensation from the American Federation because we cannot pay the salary of a player who cannot play for six months."

Posted by: Hokienautic | October 15, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

USSF pay Gooch's salary? I don't know how these things work -- if the national team is considered liable for such injuries, I hope they've got a good insurance policy.

Posted by: fischy | October 15, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

would that guy be asking the Italian federation for money if Gattuso broke his leg in a qualifying effort for Italy?

Posted by: VTUnited | October 15, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hokienautic | October 15, 2009 11:32 AM

It's OK to pay him to sit on the bench, but not while he's rehabbing? F*ck them. Good luck Gooch - and get the hell out of that corrupt, joke of a league. I guess that's what we can expect from Don Pervert Berlusconi's club.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 15, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

they changed the pic to gooch.

Posted by: torrey151 | October 15, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

jofij, it would be odd to thank Torres for the bad kick that would injure Onyewu that would "add" the most extra time to a match, time which was needed to score the group winning goal, right?

If you want to assign blame, consider this. Who did Ruiz outpace to get around for his first goal? Onyewu. Who failed to close on Ruiz allowing him a clear strike for his second goal? Onyewu. (Look at the replays above.)

So if you think Torres is at fault for getting Onyewu injured... you're wrong. You should blame him for not doing it sooner! But that would be a bit harsh, no?

Posted by: prokaryote | October 15, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Someone above pinned the blame on Bernstein for Ruiz's second goal. But watch the replay. Bornstein was marking another Tico on the outside. Bradley was shadowing Ruiz. Bradley just gave up on the play. If you're going to pin the blame on anyone for that one, it's Bradley.

What a strike, though.

Posted by: DEFPOTEC1 | October 15, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or did I see MAJOR improvements in Altidore's touch on the night? (If not his finishing).

As for Onyewu. Let's hope it all pulls together RIGHT at the very end. This gives us time to work on back up. Though Boca Marshall tandem fills me with dread.

TORRES SHOULD START. Aw well, won't happen.

Something tells me Eddie Johnson is polishing dusting off his favorite boots right now.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | October 15, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Lots of good comments on the thread....

Rogers' crosses were excellent, far more I think than Holden's, and I'm not just saying because of his assist on Bornstein's goal. So maybe, as someone suggested, Dempsey should play forward when he returns, let Rogers take a spell at right middie in upcoming friendlies, see if Rogers had a complete game.

And Spector in the center....nice suggestion, his relative lack of speed is less of a liability there, and his passing is quite good for a defender.

If the US had lost last night, Cherundolo would have been one of my two MVP choices for the US (Altidore the other).

Dolo did everything Bornstein did not -- didn't get stripped, didn't get beaten, and fed the ball to people in good positions (including for several of Rogers' dangerous crosses). That's only a tad harsh on Bornstein, who got stripped, and occasionally beaten, but who did feed Donovan pretty well on occasion.

The more I think about it, the more I would like Dempsey to take Casey's spot, unless somebody else really steps up at forward.

Posted by: tgrahame1 | October 15, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

1. altidore looked somewhat inspired at times. although the finishing was poor. by him and all around.

2. costa rica deserved to tie with the way they played (time wasting, diving, typical "soccer bs". reminded me of the ghana game in the 06 cup. except we got a result this time. good for honduras

3. I thought the team showed well on a rainy night following what must have been a tough 48 hours.

**************