USA Victories, Wicks Surgery

*Washington Freedom striker Abby Wambach's 35th-minute header led the top-ranked USA women's national team to a 1-0 away victory over No. 2 Germany in a friendly before a sellout crowd of 30,000 in Augsburg. The Americans are now 17-4-4 all-time against Germany and 42-1-4 since the end of the 2007 Women's World Cup in China.

*Alex Shinsky (York, Pa.) scored in the 54th minute on a shot mishandled by the goalkeeper as the USA under-17s defeated Malawi, 1-0, at the World Cup in Nigeria. In good position to reach the round of 16 from the 24-team field, the Americans (1-1) will play their group finale Sunday against United Arab Emirates. Malawi (0-2) was called offside 18 times.

*D.C. United goalkeeper Josh Wicks underwent shoulder surgery for an injury that ended his season in late September and will be sidelined four to six months, which means he would not be available until March 1 at the earliest. Does he have a future with DCU?

By Steve Goff  |  October 29, 2009; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Women , Youth soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Payne Fined $5,000
Next: Payne Apologizes

Comments

Wicks? Future at DCU? Hope not. I do wish him the best of luck though.

Posted by: torrey151 | October 29, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Of the three GKs in harness (Wicks, Hamid, Kocic) Wicks will be first to go if DCU manages to pick up a #1 GK. Cronin, for example.

If no such pickup occurs, I think Wicks will be welcomed back.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 29, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I hope they sign Cronin. He's just as good as Wicks, [presumably] is the right price, and doesn't have explosive anger problems.

Posted by: Dynaformer | October 29, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I've seen tougher questions from Katie Couric.
We need professionals who can keep their head if we're going to get back to the top.

Posted by: billq1 | October 29, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Wicks' future depends on the coaching situation, obviously, but I would hope we can improve over him. He's a fine shotstopper, but his decision-making is often a big problem. We don't have a single keeper (and I'm including Cronin here) who makes consistently good decisions on when to stay on his line and when to come for the ball. If there was a goalkeeping class in college, that would not be a 400 level course. Keepers that make poor decisions affect the confidence and trust of the team in front of them. Players who don't trust their keeper try to do too much to keep their keeper uninvolved, which usually results in just the opposite.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 29, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

"Wicks is Whack" is playing at Hammerjacks tomorrow night. They're opening for Great White.

Cronin and Hamid and we're covered.

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 29, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

As a Timbers fan, I really hope Cronin signs for the MLS Timbers and is then loaned back to the USL Timbers for 2010, ala LeToux with the Flounders last year.

Posted by: DemonJuice | October 29, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I don't have a problem with Wicks. (He lost his head on a couple of occasions. Something Olsen has been guilty of as well, and he's a DCU hero.) I personally feel he's a better choice than Cronin, as he seemed to be more in command of his area. But I'd agree with others in that we could certainly do better than either.

Posted by: Matte | October 29, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

@Goff -- Let's not get carried away with the USA youth. "In good position to advance"? The USA has to beat the UAE team -- a team that scored twice against Malawi. Otherwise, it's another early exit....

Posted by: fischy | October 29, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I didn't see enough of Cronin to have an opinion -- only 1.5 matches. Thanks, Comcast, or Verizon -- whichever is most to blame. I'm sure Hamid isn't ready, and Kocic was not good. So, Wicks may yet have a slot as a back-up, but the team will have to get a #1 who's ready to start training in February.

Posted by: fischy | October 29, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

My guess that this question won't be answered any differently than it was last year. As in, we're still waiting.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 29, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Send Wicks to see Adam Sandler and Jack Nicolson in Anger Management and I'll welcome him back to the team. If not, bye bye.

Posted by: adamsunited | October 29, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

"Did someone mention Great White?"

You didn't know how rock-n-roll looked
Until you caught your sister with the guys from the group
Half-way home in the parking lot
By the look in her eye She was giving what she got Said

CHORUS:
My My My I'm once bitten Twice shy Baby
My My My I'm once bitten Twice shy Baby
My My My I'm once bitten Twice shy Baby

Posted by: delantero | October 29, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I imagine the FO is still smarting from foreign losses -- having Robles and Perkins go overseas. I think it influenced the decision to not take Frei in the draft. Makes me suspect they won't be looking at the draft to bring in a starter. Unless they can do better in foreign recruiting (2 of the last 3 didn't even see the pitch), it's gotta be Cronin.

Posted by: fischy | October 29, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

i'm not sure they have the right to sign Cronin. why would Portland give him up?

Posted by: troy6 | October 29, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Malawi (0-2) was called offside 18 times.

****************************

Obviously they haven't gotten used to playing on this side of the Equator.

As far as Wicks goes, I'm OK with him staying on the team and fighting for a starting spot next season. No one has done enough to lay undisputed claim to the starting role.

At the end of the season a lot of folks (myself included) have been impressed by Cronin. But lets not forget how great some folks were saying Wicks looked this summer - and he had lots more games in goal with DC (than Cronin) by that point.

Anger management should be easier to drill into a player than many other necessary goalkeeping skills.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | October 29, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Wicks has the size and fearlessness to be a very good MLS keeper. His decision making needs to get better (something competent coaching should help) and his "anger issues", which really are the way he calls out defenders can be toned down. (However, that scrum with Burch was initially caused by Burch ignoring Wicks' instructions on a corner and then ball watching, something Burch often does. If I was in Wicks' shoes at that point I would have been pretty cheesed off as well.) While Cronin looked good on loan and was USL-1 keeper of the year this year, Wicks was USL-1 keeper of the year in 2007 at the same Portland team.

Posted by: griffin1108 | October 29, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I was as critical as anyone of Wicks after the stomping on Montero, but Wicks should have a future at DC, he kept United in many games and played well after his suspension. He is a sound MLS keeper, and he is the least of the team's problems that need fixing this off season.

Posted by: oz4dcu | October 29, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Is it possible to acquire Cronin?!?

Posted by: redskinsux | October 29, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

In my mind, Wicks has ZERO upside potential. He is just not going to get better.

Posted by: delantero | October 29, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I would not be disappointed if Wicks stays. But this is very premature; first, United has to decide on a coaching staff.

Posted by: Curious99 | October 29, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

It will take a lot of money to sign Cronin. Not only will we have to buy him from the Timbers, but we'll also have to outbid other MLS teams.

Wicks definitely had his ups and downs with us last year. There were a couple games where he flat out earned us 3 points. But he also had some games where he made poor decisions. We need someone with more consistency. I could see Wicks coming back for a couple games and then getting benched, just like what happened to Crayton at the start of 2009.

Posted by: DCUMD | October 29, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Cronin single-handedly knocked NY out of the Open Cup a couple years ago, when he was behind Cannon on the Galaxy depth chart. I thought he was a great keeper, and it surprised me he didn't catch on in MLS. I really didn't rate Wicks highly before he went to DC, but Cronin is a great shot stopper and seems to communicate well with the defense. A great late season pickup.

United should do whatever it takes to get him for next year. I have to assume he was on a one-year contract with Portland, and that he'll be free to leave, so it shouldn't be too hard to sign him. If he's on a multiple year deal with the Timbers, however, it might not be possible to sign him. I'm sure that Portland would love to keep him going into their first year in MLS in 2011.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | October 29, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

I have nothing more intelligent to say than go Alex Shinsky and York, PA!

Posted by: TassieTiger | October 29, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

So why did it take so long for him to have surgery?

Posted by: owendylan | October 29, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

I didn't realize that Wicks was going in for Brain Surgery. I hope he comes out of the surgery with at least half a brain.

Posted by: vthokies1 | October 29, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I agree with owendylan. Why did it take so long for him to get the surgery?

Posted by: tundey | October 30, 2009 7:10 AM | Report abuse

The USL-Timbers signed a lot of players for 2009 with a team option for 2010, including Cronin, with the intent of keeping those who make the cut for the MLS roster. United would have to buy him out, and I just don't see our owner giving him up.

Posted by: PDXTimbers | October 30, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: griffin1108 | October 29, 2009 5:12 PM
------------------------

Are you forgetting about the red card at the USOC game? His behavior there was absolutely inexcusable and selfish.

Posted by: Dynaformer | October 30, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

The US womens victory in Germany is pretty huge. Abby scoring #101 is pretty huge. Beuhler and LePeilbet paired in the middle and shutting out Germany in Germany is pretty huge.

Hope Solo is a mighty goddess.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 30, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I could while away the hours
conferrin' with the flowers
consultin' with the rain

And my head I'd be scratchin'
While my thoughts were busy hatchin'
If I only had a brain

Posted by: OWNTF | October 30, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | October 29, 2009 4:31 PM
_________________________________________

Actually, a draw should suffice. I've provided more detail in a post to the weekend telly listings thread.

Posted by: universityandpark | October 30, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse