Wednesday Kickaround

*Between poor attendance, lackluster results and the sale of Kenny Cooper, we've all had a good chuckle at the expense of FC Dallas this season. But with a victory tonight at San Jose (10 p.m. Direct Kick), FCD (9-12-6, 33 points) can draw even with D.C. United in the overall standings and enter the playoff picture -- albeit in a longshot role. Dallas is on a 3-1-1 run and has scored 16 times in the past six matches. The Quakes, meantime, are also enjoying a late-season resurgence, though too late for a playoff push. They are unbeaten in four straight (2-0-2) and 3-0-2 in their previous five appearances at Buck Shaw Stadium.

*DCU legend Marco Etcheverry takes over Oriente Petrolero in his native Bolivia.

*The poetic CONCACAF bossman, Jack Warner, has a message for England's 2018 World Cup bid: "You're earning it but not fast enough, creeping along when time passes quickly and you have to be running along."

*Americans abroad:
F Mike Grella 70 minutes in Leeds' 2-1 win over Darlington
MF Jemal Johnson 90 in MK Dons' 2-0 win over Southend

*Maryland, ranked No. 10 by Soccer America, ended a two-game losing streak by defeating Loyola (Illinois), 1-0. Tonight No. 20 Virginia hosts Longwood and welcomes the return of Brian Ownby from the U-20 World Cup, No. 19 Georgetown visits Seton Hall, and 23rd-ranked George Mason, which has recorded five consecutive shutout victories, hosts Towson.

*Soccer on TV:
Under-20 World Cup, Brazil-Uruguay 10:30 a.m. ET, Galavision
Friendly, Real Salt Lake-Chivas Guadalajara 9 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
MLS, San Jose-Dallas 10 p.m. Direct Kick

*Martin Palermo's 40-yard header for Boca Juniors over the weekend:

By Steve Goff  |  October 7, 2009; 8:54 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , Argentina , College Soccer , D.C. United , England , FIFA , MLS , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Baltimore's Interest in DCU
Next: Video: Heading in Wrong Direction

Comments

Great job picking out the far post.

Posted by: Curious99 | October 7, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I will never understand why players STILL take off their shirts to celebrate when they know it will be an automatic caution.

Posted by: fedssocr | October 7, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

it's also interesting that Warner would even consider voting for England instead of the bid from his own bloody confederation!

Posted by: fedssocr | October 7, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Warner has never supported CONCACAF over the FA.

Posted by: Curious99 | October 7, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Maybe our Marketer-In-Chief will have more luck with FIFA than he did with the IOC. Chicago politics and Rod B's auction of his Senate seat must seem minor league in comparison.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 7, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

$eriously? There i$ only one thing that Jack Warner is intere$ted in.

Now we know why Maradona recalled Palermo for Argentina.

The picture isn't good, but I think Marco has a ponytail. And is rubbing a man's belly. He replaces a guy named "Vitamina". That's a terrible nickname.

Posted by: Reignking | October 7, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Makes me wonder how many chuckles the league and its fans are having at the expense of DCU.....more than just a few, I'm sure.

Posted by: marksman37 | October 7, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

@fedssocr,

Because Jack Warner is the ORIGINAL Euro-snob ;)

Jack ranks his personal favorites like this

Money > Soccer > Soccer Travel > Money FROM Soccer Travel > England > David Beckham > Money from England for 2018 votes and a friendly in T&T > UEFA Champions League > CONCACAF Champions League > Money from CCL > T&T > UEFA > FIFA > CONCACAF Region > Money that Mexico/USA bring him > $$$$ > USA/Mexico/CONCACAF Region Growth

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | October 7, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Warner continued, "Do I have to come out and tell you directly? BRIBE ME!"

Posted by: Kev29 | October 7, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Feddsoccer,
The goal not only was the winning goal (and an audacious one) but it was Palermo's 200th goal for Boca. I am definitely not a Boca fan but I gotta admit class when I see it and I love Palermo, he's a cold blooded finisher and has a heart of a lion.

Posted by: timoteo1 | October 7, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fedssocr | October 7, 2009 9:14 AM |
---------------------------------------------------------

It's only an automatic yellow when Americans do it. Did anyone see any yellow cards during those ridiculous celebrations by Marathon against DCU, down in Honduras? No? Well, then it must not be an automatic caution.

As for the goal -- audacious and awesome!!! Just wondering about those on this site who were whining a couple years ago about Palermo being too old when DCU's interest was rumored. He's had two clips here this year for two of the more spectacular goals you will see -- showing athleticism and power with both. He plays a lot younger than Luci.

Posted by: fischy | October 7, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Can we now take a rest with the silliness about Marco taking over as DCU's coach?

Posted by: fischy | October 7, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

That goal was worth a yellow.

Posted by: dccal | October 7, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Could have sworn I saw El Diablo at the Dulles SportsPlex the other night...

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 7, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

In the back of my mind, I'm cheering for Dallas. They deserve to make the playoffs.

Posted by: Reignking | October 7, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Miss Teen South Carolina or Jack Warner should be a daily part of Soccer Insider.

Posted by: sitruc | October 7, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Actually it is supposed to be an automatic caution everywhere in the world. That is a FIFA/IFAB decision not something the national federations have any control over.

Posted by: fedssocr | October 7, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I had no idea Diamond Jack was in Big Youth:
"Time is running and passing and passing and running and running and passing, so you all better get right at this time, 'cuz there might be no next time, y'all."

Posted by: EdTheRed | October 7, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Dang, epic reggae fail...should've written "I had no idea Diamond Jack WAS Big Youth," since Big Youth is a man, not a band, man.

Posted by: EdTheRed | October 7, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

If I scored a goal like that, I may not stop at my shirt.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 7, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Jack Diamond?

Posted by: Reignking | October 7, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fedssocr | October 7, 2009 11:03 AM
------------------------------

I am aware of that. I was just pointing out that the rules didn't seem to matter during that game.

Posted by: fischy | October 7, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

That might be the most high powered header I've ever seen. How he got any direction on that thing, I'd very much like to know.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | October 7, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

On the U-20s Brazil destroyed Uruguay in the 1st half... 3x1

I thought this would be a closer game.

Posted by: JP-10 | October 7, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------------------

So would Luci...

Posted by: fischy | October 7, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Forget about the yellow card, why take your shirt off in the first place? The shirt is your team identity, so taking it off seems to symbolize that the goal was an individual achievement, not a team one. I prefer when players tug at their shirt to display the crest and even kiss it.

Am I wrong about the symbolism here?

Posted by: WorldCup | October 7, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

MLS > A.F.A

Franco Neil and Marcelo Gallardo are stars. Enough said.

Posted by: alan19 | October 7, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

@joedoc - "Could have sworn I saw El Diablo at the Dulles SportsPlex the other night..." I've seen him there a few times, coaching or clinics, I think.

Posted by: soccerman | October 7, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Yep, love it when they kiss it too...

Posted by: DadRyan | October 7, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Here's a surprising bit of news:

Portsmouth's new owner, Saudi billionaire Ali Al-Faraj made his first decision as the new owner of the cellar-dwelling team -- to bring a new director of football, former Israeli national team coach Avram Grant.

Is there hope for peace and cooperation in the Mideast?

Posted by: fischy | October 7, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Cameroon had a solution for the shirt-off yellow card, but Sepp didn't like the one-piece kit (on men).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 7, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

posted on the latest thread, but worth posting EVERYWHERE!!

This is totally off topic, but y'all have got to check this out....it's the funniest s**t I've ever seen.

I received via mail today my ESPN The Magazine "The Body Issue". It is dated Oct. 19, 2009.

On page 115 there is a picture of Chris Pontius, Namoff, Clyde, Jaime, Tino and Benny on the pitch at RFK in a "wall" formation jumping into the air with a ball flying toward them. They are standing in the standard "cover your privates" stance, but the funny part is that they are all wearing ONLY socks and cleats. That is it....nothing else. Funniest thing I have ever seen. This issue is apparently dedicated to the athlete's body, and there are a bunch of different sports represented (check out Natasha Kai). It's a trip....kinda surprised to see our Guys in there. Gooch is in there also, sans clothes.

I have a feeling this is gonna be hung up in a couple of locker rooms.

Posted by: Smitty68 | October 7, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse