World Cup Wednesday

While our thoughts are with USA forward Charlie Davies and the other victims of that terrible car accident, World Cup qualifying continues today with the final automatic berths at stake in CONCACAF, South America and Europe.

Honduras or Costa Rica?
Argentina, Uruguay or Ecuador?
Switzerland or Greece?
Slovakia or Slovenia?

Meantime, Ronaldo-less Portugal attempts to secure a Euro playoff berth.

*Soccer on TV:
Germany-Finland noon ET, GolTV
Italy-Cyprus 2 p.m. GolTV
Denmark-Hungary 2:30 p.m. (live) Fox Sports Espanol; 5 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
Portugal-Malta 2:40 p.m. Setanta
England-Belarus 3 p.m. FSC
Peru-Bolivia 4 p.m. ESPN Deportes
Greece-Luxembourg 5 p.m. Setanta
France-Austria 5 p.m. FSE; 7 p.m. FSC
NCAA men, St. John's-Princeton 6 p.m. ESPNU
USA-Costa Rica 8 p.m. ESPN2, Galavision
Trinidad & Tobago-Mexico 8 p.m. Telemundo
MLS, Real Salt Lake-New York 10 p.m. ESPN2

*Video from Ghana's 3-2 win over Hungary (note the celebration after the first goal) and Brazil's 1-0 triumph against Costa Rica:

By Steve Goff  |  October 14, 2009; 8:00 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , CONCACAF , TV , U-20 World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Davies Accident Update
Next: Charlie Davies Updates

Comments

Honestly I think Davies should have been up for US Men's player of the year before the accident. My prayers are with him and his family. Thank god he is alive!

Posted by: no_recess | October 14, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm now reading that they are planning to stand and cheer in the 9th minute (and, presumably, not light off smoke bombs too).

Posted by: Reignking | October 14, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Why aren't the broadcast companies showing Honduras @ El Salvador, Argentina @ Uruguay and Slovakia @ Poland?

Posted by: tfoisie | October 14, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

That's the most bittersweet news I've heard in a while.

Get better soon, Charlie.

Now... what do we do?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | October 14, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I thought I saw somewhere that the Mexico game was on mun2.

Posted by: beach3 | October 14, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tfoisie | October 14, 2009 9:09 AM

Pay per view and closed circuit my friend. Huge South American matches have been held hostage by PPV companies for years. FIFA have to step in and change this in the 2014 cycle.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 14, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I think the US should score 9 goals tonight.

Posted by: Reignking | October 14, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Kev29, FIFA step in and do something about PPV?!?!?! That is communism my friend. I am immediately emailing Glen Beck so he can report the proper authorities.

Anyone as excited for the MLS game as me?

Posted by: grubbsbl | October 14, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

That's the most bittersweet news I've heard in a while.

Get better soon, Charlie.

Now... what do we do?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | October 14, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

We put a good player on the field.

Davies was awful against Honduras (even Goff gave him a 5...lowest rating for US players that day) and the botched shot in front of the goal and the blown control of Donovan's passes should have had him benched before halftime.

Lets not forget he blew curfew and yeah its tragic he was in an accident but had he been benched for being caught blowing off curfew everyone would be on the "Davies sucks" bandwagon.

I feel bad for him and his family but this has zero impact on the quality of our squad against Costa Rica.

Posted by: Southeasterner | October 14, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsbl | October 14, 2009 10:35 AM

Ha!

Seriously though - FIFA and the Confederations can re-do their rights arrangement laws to prevent home team countries selling rights to away nations. Let each federation hold the rights to distribute to their country - whether the match is home or away. That would help prevent the Mexico mun2 situation and Honduras closed circuit clusterf*ck sandwich.

FIFA and the Confederations can do whatever the hell they want to protect or promote their commercial interests. They are not governmental agencies inhibiting capitalism - they are quasi-public organizations set-up to keep money flowing into the game. Personally, I think it's terrible capitalism to pigeon hole the availability of your product.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 14, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of FIFA, I hope the following is just lip service, otherwise it's adios to televised MLS matches - at least during football season.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 14, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I think Garber is being coy in his response. Saying in a polite way, "sure, we'll look into playing through the Winter. We'll just put roofs on the stadiums that we've struggled mightily to build. But sure Sepp, we're looking into it"

It was a clever way to rebuff Blatter, who ran his mouth without thinking of the logistics.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 14, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, go look at the "greatest world cup goal celebrations" on youtube, almost all of them are African. The creativity factor for those guys is off the charts.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 14, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Lineups? Any projections from the gallery?

Posted by: soccerman | October 14, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse