Wednesday Kickaround

*In the shadows of a sparkling World Cup stadium, people continue to live in deplorable conditions. Welcome to South Africa.

*D.C. United award winners.....
Team MVP: Clyde Simms.
Defender: Bryan Namoff.
Fans' Choice: Chris Pontius.
Goal of the Year: Namoff (diving header).
Coaches' Award: Rodney Wallace.
Humanitarian: Devon McTavish.
Golden Boot: Luciano Emilio.

*Photos of the Augsburg venue where the USA women will face Germany in a friendly on Thursday.

*A good college derby today at 3 p.m. as American (8-3-2) meets Georgetown (9-6-1) at the Hoyas' North Kehoe Field. AU has an eight-game unbeaten streak (6-0-2) and risen to No. 25 in the RPI ratings.

*Americans abroad:
F Kenny Cooper and 1860 Munich vs. Schalke (German Cup)
GK David Yelldell and Koblenz at Hoffenheim (German Cup)
GK Luis Robles and Kaiserslautern at Werder Bremen (German Cup)
MF Alejandro Bedoya and Orebro at AIK (Swedish league)
D Danny Califf and Midtjylland at Esbjerg (Danish Cup)

*Soccer on TV:
Italy, Napoli-AC Milan 3:30 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
Italy, Juventus-Sampdoria 6 p.m. FSC

*Highlights from Real Madrid's 4-0 "historic disgrace" against third-division Alcorcon in the Copa del Rey (cue the Benny Hill soundtrack):

By Steve Goff  |  October 28, 2009; 9:36 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Americans Abroad , College Soccer , D.C. United , Germany , South Africa , Spain , TV , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: TFC, FCD, Revs, Champions, Abroad
Next: Distant Goal by D.C.'s Own

Comments

First.
Will they charge admission for the game at Georgetown this afternoon?

Posted by: DadRyan | October 28, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

if adjacence to poverty and scandalous behavior by stadium owners/developers is newsworthy, then you don't have to go to South Africa to get a story. see: South Bronx, Downtown Detroit, Newark, Brooklyn, Chavez Ravine (back in the day), oh and a little place called Washington, D.C. and there's so many more.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | October 28, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Goff, good of you to show a little love for your (and my) Alma Mater. Next time don't wait for them to have an 8 game unbeaten streak!

Posted by: mattb2 | October 28, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

The situation in South Africa is sad, but not surprising given the corruption that piles up to the very top of FIFA and goons like Sepp Blatter and Jack Warner.

Rewarding South Africa (and the continent of Africa) with a World Cup was never about rewarding the people of Africa. It was always a power grab and fleecing of Africa's people masquerading as a merciful and charitable mission to this poor continent. The deplorable conditions described in the article only reinforce FIFA's lack of interest in using the World Cup to "improve" the life of a typical South African. If anything, the World Cup has only served to displace and marginalize more people to the benefit of a few corrupt and deplorable officials.

Posted by: MalagaCFfan | October 28, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I've read some bad things about the U-17 and Nigeria, too...

Posted by: Reignking | October 28, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

It would be nice if media and governments actually held FIFA (Blatter, Warner) accountable.

Posted by: Reignking | October 28, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Off topic, but I would like to nominate yesterday as Best Day Ever on Soccer Insider. Thanks for the great material, Mr. Goff, and to everybody who posted.

Posted by: dccal | October 28, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know how bad C Gómez was injured? He was stuffed halfway through a shot attempt against KC and his foot/ankle was injured....

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 28, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | October 28, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Eh, what team (any sport) doesn't have $$ issues?

Rumors du jour is that Phil Brown left or was fired...waiting for confirmation on that.

Posted by: Reignking | October 28, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Augsburg's Impuls Arena looks fantastic!! I yearn for the day DCU can have a similar stadium.

@dccal-
I agree. Yesterday's posts were great.

Posted by: invncbl | October 28, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dccal | October 28, 2009 11:07 AM
===============

That's because I was playing golf yesterday.

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 28, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Eh, what team (any sport) doesn't have $$ issues?

Posted by: Reignking | October 28, 2009 11:15 AM

Honestly, having to sell players and sack Brown would be two good things for Jozy at this point. Now if he can show up to the ground on time...

Posted by: Kev29 | October 28, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I think it'll be good for the many people from richer nations at the World Cup to see the level of poverty elsewhere.

I used to be pretty blithe about the poor and poorness until I spent some time in Managua, Nicaragua as a teenager.

Posted by: NattyBo1985 | October 28, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I loved the use of 'Yakkety Sax' for the Real Madrid video...

Posted by: mmathai1 | October 28, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

@dimesmakedollars: Agreed. Whenever I see stories like that one, I ask "Who are we to judge?" This sounds like many stories about US stadiums, where neighboring residents are asking, in the aftermath, "where are the amenities we were promised?"

On another note, the reporter writes "Mbombela is one of the most atmospheric new stadiums built for next year's World Cup..."

What does that mean?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 28, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Google map that stadium, and you can see where the schools were...and see plenty of empty land around where they could've built the stadium.

Posted by: Reignking | October 28, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

And what are they going to do with that stadium afterwards? Those stadiums will be used less than the ones in Japan.

Posted by: Reignking | October 28, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

much like pubs build in Ireland, then dismantled and brought to the States, rumor has it that Chang is having Free State Stadium dismantled after the World Cup and brought to Fairfax.

Posted by: nairbsod | October 28, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Best Day Ever on Soccer Insider . . . ahem, well, keeping in mind that the posts concerned United's wreck of a 2009 season and [insert your own wreck joke about RFK].

But yes, great interviews from Goff and cogent comments.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | October 28, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Did Joedoc mention . . . playing golf?

Posted by: dccal | October 28, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

And what are they going to do with that stadium afterwards?
Posted by: Reignking
====================

Vuvuzela factory

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 28, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

-And the Style Council post, I think, begs for an analysis article similar to the possession-game-vs.-long-ball that the Post ran last year about area youth programs.

Not that I have anything to learn, of course, but some of these NEWER fans, now, they're different, you see . . .

Posted by: fallschurch1 | October 28, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth:

Chris Pontius goal at Toluca made #5 in the top 10 plays of the previous week (supposedly in the whole world of sports) on Contacto Deportivo last night.

Gallardo's freekick goal against Boca Juniors was #10.

Contacto Deportivo runs their "Magnificos 10" of the previous week on Tuesday nights. It skews toward soccer (but they had a Reggie Bush touchdown included) and especially towards anything that might have been shown on their Univision family of networks.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | October 28, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

and remember that South Africa is the shining star. check out Yanks Abroad's descriptions of the u-17 cup in Nigeria. and, having lived in West Africa for several years, YA's piece is the nicest thing I have ever seen written about Nigeria.

Posted by: troy6 | October 28, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

nice to see Simms, Pontius, and Wallace all get recognition. I'd like to think that the Pontius and Wallace awards were interchangeable; i.e., had Wallace won the fan voting, coaches would have picked Pontius.

Posted by: troy6 | October 28, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

dimes: I'm with you on your general point, but we are talking about a whole different concept of poverty. The difference is measured in orders of magnitude.

Posted by: troy6 | October 28, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@dccal: Well in! I'm still laughing...

Straight down the middle? Yes, that was me yesterday... straight down the middle of the cart paths. For those of you who play golf well, I tip my hat to you. I am, in a word, inept.

Give me a soccer ball and I can hit the crossbar from 40 yards. Give me a 3 iron and a golf ball and everyone had better run for their lives.

@I-270: you better at golf, or cricket?

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 28, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

from the Augsburg WNT link:

"When the U.S. players walk out of the tunnel for the match, those stands will be packed with festive Germans"

I hope that's true, but the WNT matches I have attended in Europe were accompanied by the sounds of crickets chirping. I was actually able to yell my own advice to individual players on the pitch, much to Pia's annoyance.

Posted by: troy6 | October 28, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Re: The Stadium infrastructure debate

This is where the cost of International Sporting events has gotten beyond a question of fairness.

Is it fair to distribute the Olympics and World Cup. Yes.

Is it practical? No.

If you're going to bid to host one of these events you need to have the means to pay for the upgrades or construction of facilities and need to have enough already in place that you're not going to break the bank hosting the event. When the US hosts the World Cup in 2018 or 2022 not a dime will be spent on stadiums, security, hotels and transportation.

We'll pick our cities, identify partners, and say go.

2018 and 2022 have to go to countries that won't cost anything because FIFA is going to need a huge revenue machine to recoup the MAJOR outlays for 2010 and 2014.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | October 28, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: troy6 | October 28, 2009 12:36 PM

So true. Living on $10k/year and having a toilet and clean water is much different than living on less than $500/year and having to drink out of a hole in the ground surrounded by sewage, after having to walk a mile to get to it. Not sure people really understand those conditions. I've studied places like this, and would prefer to not have to elaborate much further :(

Posted by: rachel751 | October 28, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

@joedoc: The latter, but only because I've never played golf (outside of miniature golf and Wii). But I haven't played cricket in 30+ years.

@troy6: What were you shouting to them, "Play the long ball"?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 28, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Greece couldn't even financially handle the Olympics (but at least they got a metro out of it).

Posted by: Reignking | October 28, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel751 | October 28, 2009 12:56 PM

Ha!, poverty levels here in the US is middle class in emerging economies like South Africa. You wanna know extreme poverty? ask me about the andean townships in Peru.

Posted by: WillyJoel | October 28, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel751 | October 28, 2009 12:56 PM

and I'm not disagreeing with you, you are 100% correct, I was just trying to emphasize your point.

Posted by: WillyJoel | October 28, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

What does that mean?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 28, 2009 11:48 AM |
-----------------------------------------------------

The altitude makes Azteca seem like it's at almost sea level?

The Pink Cows have a neat animation on their site depicting the ins and outs of the new stadium. Lots of empty tables and couches, if you didn't come to watch the game.

Who picks the DCU MVP? What does the Coaches' award represent? Ditto for the Fan's Choice.

If you're home sick, ESPN360 offers a choice of Chelsea-Bolton and Arsenal-Liverpool at 3:45.

Posted by: fischy | October 28, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

What's with these bucket seats for the bench in Euro stadia? I don't know why I find it obnoxious, but I find it really obnoxious.

Posted by: comfortstarr | October 28, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

thanks for sharing

Posted by: DadRyan | October 28, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I love the irony of a comment complaining about bucket seats being made by someone called "Comfortstarr." :)

Posted by: VercengetorixII | October 28, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | October 28, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Or Bayern Munich at 3:30, that's usually a pretty good show...

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 28, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm homesick, not home sick. But that's only because the Phillies are in the World Series tonight and I haven't had a good mushroom cheesesteak in a long, long while.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | October 28, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Shhh. Don't mention mushrooms around DadRyan and Poopy McP.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 28, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 28, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: comfortstarr | October 28, 2009 1:47 PM |

I've always found it just an interesting quirk. They have them at the Silverbacks stadium. They're high-end sports car quality seats. I could fall asleep in them they're so cushy. I just don't know why it's necessary, but I wouldn't turn them down.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 28, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

To paraphrase the credit card commerical:

Real Madrid player salaries-€460 million;
Alcorcon player salaries-€1.1 million;
Alcorcon 4-0 victory - PRICELESS!!!!

Posted by: agoldhammer | October 28, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

The comfy seats "necessary" because they have more space for advertising than a bench. Maybe they're heated too. I would expect no less from Old Trafford's Audi seats. The color scheme of the Impuls seats though is, how should I put it, ugly - like Joe Doc's golf pants.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 28, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Hm, not sure anyone deserves an MVP award this year... I'd probably give it to Jakovic (I know, I spelled it wrong). Without his calm play in the back, we would have been even more embarrassing this year.

And for all the griping about Kasper (or whomever is in charge of picking players), bear in mind that we did pick up three very solid new young players this year. None of whom came from the Argie 2nd division or whatever...

Posted by: edgeonyou | October 28, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Simms as MVP? He didn't have a very good year.

Posted by: Senor_Funk | October 28, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Or Bayern Munich at 3:30, that's usually a pretty good show...

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 28, 2009 2:06 PM |

Haha, not this year...!!!

They have those sports seats at a lot of stadiums around Europe. Vfl Wolfsburg has naturally some Volkswagen sports seats, and since our shirts are sponsered by the same company I feel like DCU should request to have them installed (although a new stadium first would be nice...)

Posted by: rademaar | October 28, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Shhh. Don't mention mushrooms around DadRyan and Poopy McP.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 28, 2009 2:41 PM

hahahaha, I get it.......... Oh well.

So I see Tommy Soehn still hasn't been fired/let go/not rehired yet. Yawn. He couldn't even coach my 18-65 year old indoor team in Upland, Ca.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 28, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Looks like AC Milan is really missing Gooch. Had a 2-0 lead in the 90th minute and blew it.

The Arsenal-Liverpool tilt was a pleasure to watch. Not MLS-quality, but still fast-paced with great chances generated by both teams. Someday the EPL will be as fun to watch as MLS. Then, I'll shoot the TV.

Posted by: fischy | October 28, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

@troy6: What were you shouting to them, "Play the long ball"?

Posted by: I-270Exit1
------------------------
their previous coach was there too (I kid you not) so I left that comment to him. he wisely kept silent. he left early, possibly so Hope Solo wouldn't get her hands around his throat.

me, I was acting like a parent at a youth match, yelling all kinds of inanities.

Posted by: troy6 | October 28, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

""So I see Tommy Soehn still hasn't been fired/let go/not rehired yet. Yawn. He couldn't even coach my 18-65 year old indoor team Posted by: Poopy_McPoop""

No one can. Those types of teams are inherently uncoachable. I'd like to see Soehn try to coach you next year though!

Posted by: delantero | October 28, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | October 28, 2009 12:48 PM |
------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose I could be wrong about this, but I think the World Cup works like the Olympics, which are paid for by the local organizing committee and host country, not the IOC. FIFA probably doesn't pay dollar one to build anything. It's on South Africa to honor its commitments to construct the stadium facilities and ancillary facilities. FIFA sells TV rights, merchandise and sponsorships, etc. -- from which it derives substantial profits. It is their brand after all. Hosts hope to profit from ticket sales and tourism.

Posted by: fischy | October 28, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Hoya Saxa!

Posted by: bartapest1 | October 28, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Upland huh? Wish I never lost my ID card to Pipeline skatepark... That place was a classic. Jessica Alba's cousins used to OWN that place back in the day. Damn shame when that place finally got bulldozed... Enough to make a man start smoking crank that's for sure...
;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | October 28, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WillyJoel | October 28, 2009 1:09 PM

Haha. Was a little confused there for a minute, then re-read it and realized you were agreeing :)

Posted by: rachel751 | October 28, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

visca barca! looks like madrid aint getting no triple!

Posted by: liga1 | October 29, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse