Weekend TV Listings

I'm off to San Pedro Sula today and probably won't rejoin you until Friday.

I leave you with the weekend viewing options.....

What are you going to watch?

FRIDAY

NCAA women, Texas A&M-Loyola (Ill.) 5 p.m. FSC
World Cup qualifying, Czech Republic-Poland 5:15 p.m. (taped) Setanta
Mexico, San Luis-Atlante 5 p.m. Univision
World Cup qualifying, Serbia-Romania 7 p.m. (taped) Setanta

By Steve Goff  |  October 8, 2009; 12:03 PM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Kickaround
Next: Friday Kickaround

Comments

Germany and Brazil in the U20s should be a great match up.

Posted by: JP-10 | October 8, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Alas -- probably none of it. All my planning for naught. Cousin's wedding won't be over in time for the USA match. If anyone is going to watch, could they please bring a video camera and put up a bootleg copy of the game I could watch Sunday night? Thanks....

Maybe, I could get to a bar for brunch on Saturday to catch some of the Russia-Germany game....

Posted by: fischy | October 8, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Have a great trip, Steve. Wear a Canadian patch backpack...

Posted by: fischy | October 8, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Here's a recap of what's available via pay TV. List and prices from Summers - but some of these matches can be seen at home (England $24.99 on inDemand + $35 for each CONMEBOL match :-0). Some Irish pubs will also have the Ireland-Italy match ($20 at Fado)...

UEFA
One or 3: $20
Ukraine vs. England 12:15 PM
Czech Rep vs. Poland 2:30 PM
Ireland vs. Italy 3:00 PM

CONMEBOL
One or 3: $20
Argentina vs. Peru 6:00 PM
Colombia vs. Chile 6:00 PM
Ecuador vs. Uruguay 6:00 PM

CONCACAF
Honduras vs. United States 10:00 PM $20

Posted by: Kev29 | October 8, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Nothing. Heading to the home of the Battery.

Posted by: Reignking | October 8, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

god, FSC always gets the dregs for WCQ matches. Faroe Islands? that said, i do enjoy watching the playoff matches in Asia, so Bahrain-NZ could be a good one.

will miss US-Honduras in favor of a steak & jazz bachelor party, so will have to follow on the phone via Scorecenter & the loyal Insider commentariat.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | October 8, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

god, FSC always gets the dregs for WCQ matches. Faroe Islands?

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | October 8, 2009 12:44 PM

And bumping Sweden-Denmark in favor of the France rout?

So much has to change about the way qualifying rights are distributed.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 8, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Honduras vs USA LIVE @ Fado Irish Pub!!
Fado Irish Pub (808 7th St NW DC) will be showing the game LIVE on Saturday night at 10pm. There will be a cover charge for the game mandated by the satellite provider - the amount is still to be confirmed.
Fado is also showing many of the other major qualifiers (including the South American qualifiers) live or delayed. A mandated cover charge applies for some of the games. Please go to www.fadoirishpub.com for a full list of matches.

Posted by: FadoSoccer | October 8, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Cannivaro tested positive for steroids....oops.

Posted by: fischy | October 8, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

So, what are the odds of someone "pulling" the feed off of the interwebs and posting a link so that all of us NOT in major cities can see the game (not that I condone such fun and subversive activity).....

Posted by: billq1 | October 8, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Italy captain Fabio Cannavaro has failed a doping test, with his club Juventus saying on Thursday that it is the result of cortisone being used to treat a bee sting.

Posted by: Reignking | October 8, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I am really hoping some "saintly" type will do that billq1...But I am not so sure with this whole Closed Circuit thing...The last time I saw Closed Circuit was the Sugar Ray Leonard/ Roberto Duran fight from Montreal at the Caps Center. Its sad that we are back to that pre-historic technology.

Posted by: alan19 | October 8, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

By the way, Flamengo/ Sao Paulo looks like it will be a great match. Adriano is back in full force!

Posted by: alan19 | October 8, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I'll be watching this tonight:

California Redwoods vs. Las Vegas Locomotives

Posted by: Reignking | October 8, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Don't tell anyone, but the leagues of Australia, Brazil, Mexico, and Argentina are playing on this WCQ weekend. I hate it when MLS does that.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 8, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

The Argentine league is making up for lost time, Brazil have qualified, Mexico's crazy and Australia have qualified and are no longer playing. But I take your point ;-)

Posted by: Kev29 | October 8, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Just upping my outrage...

Are games in other CONC nations not involving their own country shown on live TV there. For instance, we get Mex-ES and CR-TT here on relatively free and live TV. Could you go to Mexico and watch the USA-Honduras game on Sky or ESPN International or some such? Who would own the right to those games? Is this game on free TV on Canal Ocho or whatever games are shown on in Honduras?

Posted by: IamAM | October 8, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Or, billq, what are the odds of some enterprising and tech-savvy Honduran filming the game, posting it live, and providing a link to take PayPal donations.

By the way fischy I attended a WCQ in Honduras and was treated just fine, no Canadian flag necessary. Though I did keep my cheering to myself when we scored.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | October 8, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alan19 | October 8, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Adriano will not play on this one as he is heading to Bolivia with the national team... He has been on a tear for Flamengo lately. AC Milan is trying to lure him back to Italy but I don't think it's about the money anymore at this point in his career...

Posted by: JP-10 | October 8, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 8, 2009 2:47 PM |
---------------------------------------------------

For that matter, so are the English Leagues One and Two.

Posted by: fischy | October 8, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Belgium-Turkey: Has anyone eaten at that restaurant on Rockville Pike that serves all its sandwiches on waffles?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 8, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Denmark-Sweden...

Come on! Do I have to do everything for you people?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 8, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 8, 2009 4:38 PM

I'm intrigued, tell me more...

Posted by: Kev29 | October 8, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Same shopping complex as REI, but facing the side street, not the Pike. Good sandwiches though.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 8, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

For that matter, so are the English Leagues One and Two.

Posted by: fischy | October 8, 2009 3:40 PM

Though the Championship, a second tier division, takes a break so that their teams do not have to compete without national team players.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 8, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 8, 2009 5:04 PM

I'm on my way

Posted by: Kev29 | October 8, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alan19 | October 8, 2009 2:29 PM
***********************************

Heh.

I watched that one as well as the "No Mas!" sequel live on free TV.

In the Dominican Republic.

But now I guess I'm being punished for it. I'll probably be at Molly Malone's.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | October 8, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 8, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Izzat anything like Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles in LA?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | October 8, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Fado Irish Pub will be charging $15 per person for the Honduras vs USA game on Saturday. We hope to see many of you over for the game!

Posted by: FadoSoccer | October 8, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

@270Exit1 -- I had a meal there once, it's fine. Actually pretty tasty, and not Rockville-like at all (if you know what I mean).

@SportzNut21 -- Nope, not at all like Roscoe's. More gourmet.

Posted by: edgeonyou | October 8, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Pissing me off that the home island of Brian Ching and Natasha Kai doesn't have a bar showing this crucial WCQ... If anyone out there knows differently please let me know.
I may watch on a computer somewhere, but I might just go back to the beach in Lanikai.
Does anyone know if there will be a site with an archived copy of the match I might be able to watch later?
Thank goodness, I've paid for tickets for the match at RFK.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 8, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness, I've paid for tickets for the match at RFK.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 8, 2009 11:26 PM

--------------------------------------------------------

Dad -- that's the question I've repeatedly posed. I'm kinda hoping someone figures a way to make and post a bootleg recording, since I doubt there will be a legitimate outlet for that. If anyone knows different....

Posted by: fischy | October 9, 2009 1:27 AM | Report abuse

So -- the New York Times is reporting that Avram Grant was in talks with Red Bull's top soccer guy, that started when Salzburg visited Haifa for a Champions League game in August. Apparently, it's the job Grant wants more than any other. He campaigned for it once, when Lalas was running the team, but was turned down. He's taken the front office job in Portsmouth, but he'd still love to get offered the Red Bulls Coach/GM jobs (gotta be a package deal for him).

Posted by: fischy | October 9, 2009 1:38 AM | Report abuse

@FadoSoccer

I will not spend a penny to watch it. I don't want the Futbol Gods to think we will pay $20 everytime there's a big match.

Thanks for offering the match however, I will steal it off the net or miss it altogether.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | October 9, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know if U.S.-Honduras can be found anywhere on the net?

Posted by: JamWhitt | October 9, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

anyone else find it interesting that FADO is charging 15, while Summers charges 20. Well, it's not surprising to me. Summers has really dropped the ball lately:

1. The TVs suck (LCDs / plasmas have DRAMATICALLY dropped in price)

2. Too much NFL coverage at the expense of soccer. Surely with the two sides they can accomodate both. Also, thats what Baileys, Hard Times, Velocity 5 (ugh...major suck bar at least the arlington one) are for.

3. overcharging for events like this. Dude, if you can order via directTV from the comfort of your home most of these games for the same price, surely some economies of scale would dictate you could provide the game for 10 or 15 bucks.

This is a classic case of pennywise, pound foolish. If you build it they will come and don't forget your base.

Posted by: wordup1 | October 9, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse