Weekend TV Listings

What are you going to watch?
FRIDAY

Italy, Palermo-Genoa 7 p.m. FSC
Mexico, Santos-Pumas 9 p.m. Telefutura
MONDAY
England, Sheffield United-Newcastle 2:40 p.m. Setanta

By Steve Goff  |  October 29, 2009; 7:00 PM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Payne Apologizes
Next: Blanco to Mexico?

Comments

SuperClassico!!!!!!!! As a Galaxy fan I predict we win the first round, but end up so bruised and battered and ejected that we lose the Conference final

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | October 29, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Up early Saturday for Spurs-Gunners. If I've still got control over the remote, then maybe one of the other EPL games on FSC.

Sunday's win or die match for the USA U17s. I'll try to sneak in some MLS playoff action, too. Probably the Superclasico.

Posted by: fischy | October 29, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Blanco to Veracruz!

Wow

I guess they should be heading back up to the top division in no time.

Posted by: Southeasterner | October 29, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

How many of you are wearing the drunken soccer fan costume for Halloween?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 29, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Abby's goal on the USSF site. Averbuch's cross was cleared MLS-style and Abby out-jumped the keeper to head it in.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 29, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

@Southeasterner

wow, thanks for the news flash. i've gotten to the point where i love to hate Blanco so much that i've actually kind of grown to like him over the past couple years. MLS definitely will suffer from his absence, but i hope he has opened the door for more top-quality Mexican players to play here.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | October 29, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Sorry...in case you need a link on the Blanco move:

Posted by: Southeasterner | October 29, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Costume I-270? This is a lifestyle dude...
After spending two weeks back in my mid/high school stomping grounds(Hawaii) I'm hardly surprised Blanco would be plenty ready to get the hell out of Chicago.

Looking forward to the Super Clasico on Sunday. Spur/Gunners may be on the tube if I can wrestle the remote out of my wife's hands on Saturday morning.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 29, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

@ Dimes

I'm the same way about Blanco. I hate him but for some reason I love to watch him.

He reminds me of Marco Etcheverry with his nastieness and the fact that his 40 yard passes always hit the target on the correct foot or on the chest.

When you take away the dives and the tantrums it remains true that he is/was an awesome #10.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | October 29, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Lets go Houston, Squash the fish

Posted by: Norteno4life | October 29, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Do they really say "U Suck @$$Hole" to the keeper when his taking goal kicks?

Posted by: DadRyan | October 29, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Yes. Just like pretty much every soccer crowd in the states.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 29, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

HOuston doesn't like divers either...

Posted by: DadRyan | October 29, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

ONstad knows better but Montero is still a punk diver.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 29, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

whats with montero everyone wants to beat his punk ----

Posted by: Norteno4life | October 29, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Jacob, still waiting for that apology for the bottle throw at Wicks. I hate the Sounders fan collective. They're clones.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 29, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Onstad lucky he doesn't take a red there. Ching lucky he doesn't take a yellow soon after for a tackle from behind. Then Clark gets off easy for his high kick. Referee Salazar seems determined not to exert undue influence on the game.

Posted by: edgeonyou | October 29, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Onstad a red for what? He barely bumped the kid. Ching should have seen yellow and big ol' jaqua just has a huge head and can't stop bending over around his old shower mates.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 29, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Nil-nil at half. I love the city of Seatle and was very excited for them to join MLS, but like DR I cannot stand some of the Seatle fans or Montero. I'm really sad that I cannot cheer for them.

Posted by: evanskr521 | October 29, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Nevermind me, fascinating game to watch so far. What exactly would prompt so many players to come after Montero though? I suspect it's something. You don't see keepers going after anyone else around the league do you?

Hope to see some goals in the second half. Where's Landin?

Posted by: DadRyan | October 29, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I don't normally post negatively but I'm a bit ticked off tonight. Icing a huge welt on the shin after a cheep shot by an opposing striker in a coed game. I was even wearing guards, boo.

Posted by: evanskr521 | October 29, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

You are aware that Blanco did this with Santos Laguna last year? Just like Beckham.

Posted by: Reignking | October 29, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Levesque coming in. Must think Freddy is a liability at this point.
The booing this crowd does is ridiculous.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 29, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Yeah RK, but that was just til the MLS preseason, this is til after the World Cup

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 30, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

@DadRyan - Onstad could have easily gotten a red for going after another player who was basically just standing there. Onstad made plenty of contact to knock him down and is a much bigger dude. Let me put it another way, if Zidane can get a red for putting his head into some dude's chest, than Onstad certainly could have gotten a red there.

Posted by: edgeonyou | October 30, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Let's hope that's the last Seattle home game of the season. The Sounders played like punks, and the fans got behind the thuggery like it was a wrasslin' match. What a bunch of self-important clowns.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | October 30, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | October 30, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

@dadryan
Cook her breakfast, dear heart, and promise to empty the next dishwasher-full. We are chumps when you empty the dishwasher!

Posted by: sbuck | October 30, 2009 3:31 AM | Report abuse

Go two minutes in, and watch Onstad rival Wicks for lack of class. As usual, DadRyan can't tell the difference between a knockdown and a dive.

Hopefully MLS is going to show the same cajones as MLB did, and do something about post-season officiating. Salazar lost control of the game when he split Onstad's red into two yellows and gave one to Fredy.

The Dynamutts played like thugs the whole game, even away from the action. But they drew a tie away and lost at home in the playoffs last year, so...

Posted by: captainwierd | October 30, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Australia, Sydney-Wellington 2 a.m. FSC

I'll be watching from my corner seat at the bar at Outback Steakhouse.

G'day, mate!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | October 30, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

DVR for Spurs-Arse while I'm "coaching" the 6 year olds :-)

QPR-Leicester this afternoon on ESPN360!

Posted by: Kev29 | October 30, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

As usual? WTF do you know captain? Montero goes down when breathed on. Just like Materazzi he must be doing something to provoke the people lashing out at him. I'm not saying retaliation should go unpunished, I'm just saying it's obvious that Montero is saying or doing something that his opponents find unsporting. I'm sure the only reason he can get away with it is because he's got a ref and team mates to hide behind.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 30, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

@sbuck: who are you and what are you talking about?

Posted by: DadRyan | October 30, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Yeah- Montero is making goals, assisting goals, and he and his fellow upstarts should really stop embarrassing the annointed of the league.

The aging prima donnas need to get out of our way. D.C. was put down, Houston's next.

Posted by: captainwierd | October 30, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

sbuck = MomRyan?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 30, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Sunday's win or die match for the USA U17s.

Posted by: fischy | October 29, 2009 7:37 PM
__________________________________________

It is actually draw or die, insofar as 16 teams out of 24 advance. (I suppose there may be some highly unlikely scenario in which four points would not be sufficient.) But a win and a second-place finish would be nice. First place is out of the question, unless Spain has a meltdown against Malawi. The Wiki site is pretty helpful in this regard:

Posted by: universityandpark | October 30, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

The Honduras U17 team has been sent packing. Too bad. I suppose we should be cheering on Hondureno sides, wherever they can be found.

Posted by: universityandpark | October 30, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

sbuck is not MomRyan... That's why I'm tripping out.
WHO ARE U?