Americans Abroad

Freddy Adu in 18, didn't play in Belenenses' 1-1 tie at Porto
Matt Taylor in 18, didn't play in FSV Frankfurt's 1-0 loss at Union Berlin
Mike Grella in 18, didn't play in Leeds' 4-0 win over Yeovil Town
Marcus Tracy and Aalborg at Odense on Monday

By Steve Goff  |  November 1, 2009; 8:12 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sunday Kickaround
Next: Monday Kickaround

Comments

We got some pretty good strikers out there.....

Lets face it, our strike force probably wont strike fear in opposing teams defenses at this summers world cup.

Posted by: grubbsbl | November 1, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Pontius up top...???

Posted by: DadRyan | November 1, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Conor Casey might strike fear. Dude's not afraid to beat you up!

Posted by: UVAtoRFK | November 1, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Conor Casey might strike fear. Dude's not afraid to beat you up!

Posted by: UVAtoRFK | November 1, 2009 10:47 PM |

Yes, if I were a defender, I certainly wouldn't want to see that bald head bearing down on me once he squares his shoulders! Wait, we aren't talking about American football are we?

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | November 2, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Good to see our guys getting full 90s out there. Deuce must love feasting on Liverpool - gotta love a guy for doing that.

I think a striker will emerge for us by the summer. Bob will have to make some tactical changes, yes, but I would not be surprised to see someone decent emerge. I think Party can do the business and could get a serious look in January, he's just gotta be more leathal and stop wasting chances. He does not have 9's speed, but he's got a decent touch and let's face it when the kid's on he can be a handful.

Posted by: Kosh2 | November 2, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Is it me or is this list getting shorter and shorter every week?

Posted by: spikeman | November 2, 2009 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Pontius is too slow for the national team.

Posted by: Ron16 | November 2, 2009 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Is Friedel signed with Villa after this year? Would love it if he could solve our keeper problems one day without breaking the bank. It would be nice to see him opposite of Keller when we play the Flounders.

Love Pontius but he had four goals in like 10,000 minutes of MLS action this year. Don't think he's the answer for 2010.

Posted by: JaimeSegundo | November 2, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

@Ron16

You are so right. Pontius is too slow, however Casey uses his cat like quickness to make the national team. I do not think speed has anything to do with Pontius not being on the national team. He is inexperienced and probably has yet to earn the opportunity. I think you may see him in the next cycle for 2014 World Cup Qualifying.

Posted by: no_recess | November 2, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I think Altidore and Dempsey up top sounds like a pretty good strike force. But I still think Freddy's a good option, so what do I know?

Posted by: troy6 | November 2, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Jaime Segundo- Friedel is under contract until 2011. Guzan doesn't stand a chance getting on the field. Friedel just played his 200th Premier League game, and holds the record for most consecutive games for a goalkeeper. He's under good wings though.

Love this list of AA's and wish I could see it every week. Bradley's tactical change up top is moving Dempsey up there with Jozy, and leaving Stu on the right. Pretty simple, and VERY effective.

Posted by: wanker82 | November 2, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Califf for United??

Posted by: Kev29 | November 2, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Bizarre as this sounds, figuring out our back line may be tougher than determining who's up top for the US, for once.

Goff, this is off topic and perhaps a bit premature but would welcome your prognostications as to who United is going to retain for the expansion draft.

Posted by: JaimeSegundo | November 2, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Freddy is just ripping it up with his new team.

Posted by: nairbsod | November 2, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Rossi finally scored, and Villarreal woke up, thrashing Tenerife 5-0.

Posted by: Reignking | November 2, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Downloaded the new Football Manager last night -- much improved.

Posted by: Reignking | November 2, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I don't think I've seen enough of Pontius up top to determine just how slow he is there. Honestly I don't think I've seen enough of a handful of United player's played in their natural positions or given enough time there to get comfortable. Hence my pause and question marks after my original post last night.

I think many would agree that we probably haven't seen Chris or Wallace for that matter under the greatest of coaches. Then again, someone could also argue that Soehn has brought out the best in those guys by running their arses into the ground and playing them out of their natural positions all season long...

@270, from a couple threads ago, I'm still snickering about your Scroungers dig... thanks for the laugh.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 2, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan: Are you sure that was me? I don't remember it. However, a few trick-or-treaters showed up Saturday night as Montero. They were wearing rave green and flopping on my lawn.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 2, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

What is it going to take to reel in Freddy's ego. He needs to get on the field.....

Posted by: croftonpost | November 3, 2009 7:35 AM | Report abuse