Charlie Davies Update

The latest on USA forward Charlie Davies, who was seriously injured in an auto accident a few days before the World Cup qualifier against Costa Rica last month:

Davies has been released from care in D.C. after undergoing several surgeries at Washington Hospital Center and treatment at National Rehabilitation Hospital. His injuries included a broken tibia and femur in his right leg, lacerated bladder, broken elbow and facial fractures.

"I would like to take the time to thank everyone who has dealt with me in the Hospital Center and NRH for really putting in the time to help me get better as a person and as an athlete," he said in a statement released by the hospital. "I continue to improve every day and I look forward to getting back on my feet and attacking rehabilitation. Thank you for everyone's support, it really means a lot to me."

James DeBritz, director of orthopaedic trauma at Washington Hospital Center, said: "Charlie faces a long recovery. It will take time and extensive physical therapy for his bones and soft tissue to heal. However, his overall health, age and positive attitude should help him to have a good outcome."

Davies was evaluated and treated at NRH by Michael Yochelson, associate medical director, who said that, after intensive rehabilitation, "Charlie will do extremely well and be able to complete his journey on the road to recovery."

The accident investigation continues, according to Park Police. His legal team said: "Mr. Davies is cooperating fully with that investigation with assistance of his attorneys, Jon D. Pels and James O'Neill. As his counsel, we have instructed Mr. Davies not to discuss this matter with the media until the investigation is complete."

Davies will continue his rehabilitation with the U.S. national team medical staff. The Insider has learned that Davies will work with longtime USA trainer Jim Hashimoto in Delaware.

By Steve Goff  |  November 10, 2009; 2:30 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Montero, Thornton Honored
Next: Germany's Enke Dies

Comments

Hang in there, Charlie.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | November 10, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Charlie is in good hands both medically and legally. I wish the best for the lad. Let's hope his youth and fortitude help him recover to the fullest. The fact that the National Team medical staff is taking over his rehab sounds encouraging for his future. Or is that really just a legal matter since he was on a trip with the MNT?

Posted by: spata1 | November 10, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

"Recovery" meaning he'll play soccer again or that he'll be a functional, healthy person??

Posted by: DCity | November 10, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that USSoccer will be working with him in his rehabilitation.

Posted by: ChelseaMatt | November 10, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

DCity, I would assume these medical pros mean just functional and healthy.

But Bruschi [sp] came back from something just as horrible . . . are guys like him and Olsen just superb physical specimens, who can heal amazingly well as well as play amazingly well to begin with; or is it that a lot of the game is attitude and knowledge?

Posted by: fallschurch1 | November 10, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Everyone is careful not to say if he can continue an athletic career, which I imagine is warranted this early in the process.

That said, it seems promising that he will be working with the USMNT trainer so at least there seems to be a possibility of his returning to play.

Posted by: teo_68 | November 10, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Admittedly off-topic but very disturbing news about Enke...

I'm not blaming anyone. He made the decision to take the action that he did bu I just wonder--Working with so many people, I wonder if his desperate state of mind was overlooked by a club that was so with getting the results.

Nobody affiliated with the club or his loved ones or friends could see that the guy was about to go over the edge of the cliff????

Posted by: yankiboy | November 10, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Godspeed to Chuck Deez

Get well quick homie

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 10, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

So, did anyone else hear the rumor of Donovan "stanky legging" after his PK goal saturday? I heard people talking about it, no one had proof. Til now: http://twitpic.com/p0cua

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 10, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Off topic but Howard isn't on the US roster because of a foot injury?

"The Blues keeper has damaged fibres on the underside of his foot and the decision was made to pull him from the matches in Slovakia on Saturday and Denmark the following Wednesday."

Posted by: spikeman | November 10, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update, SG.

Great news. Hang in there 9.

Posted by: Kosh2 | November 10, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Josh - I am completely shocked to hear about the very sad news of Enke's death. Like you I am trying to figure out how people close to him could miss a potential suicide case. This sucks, this really sucks.

My condolences, thoughts and prayers to his wife, child and family.

Posted by: Kosh2 | November 10, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Let's go Charlie! Rooting for you

Posted by: Kev29 | November 10, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Suicide can be hard to peg. People who have the guts to do it will hide that reality from those closest to them. Their feelings of hopelessness aren't alleviated by even the best of friendships, and family.

The timing here for me is a little strange, as an old friend from Seattle of all places took his own life this last weekend. I found out when I logged into Facebook after watching the Sounders lose on Sunday. Took the wind right out of my sails and instead of dishing up some good natured trash talk I spent the evening looking at old photographs and wondering how people who seem to have beautiful things in their lives can be in so much pain.

Glad Charlie is out of the hospital and digging into his recovery.
Great pic of Donovan Jacob. Thanks for posting it.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 10, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse