Friday Kickaround

*Read the accounts of Real Salt Lake's rare road victory and a Columbus Dispatch column about the champion's reign coming to an end. Watch the video highlight package here. In its second consecutive appearance in a conference final, RSL will play at Chicago or New England next Saturday.

*More importantly, the comely Jessica Alba was on Capitol Hill on Thursday jessicaalba.jpgto promote 1GOAL, a global initiative to provide education to 75 million impoverished children ahead of next year's World Cup.

*Sticking with a Hollywood theme, today marks the national release of "The Men Who Stare at Goats," starring George Clooney and Jeff Bridges. Finally, a Chivas documentary!

*Americans abroad:
Today
F Freddy Adu and Belenenses vs. Pacos
GK Luis Robles and Kaiserslautern vs. Oberhausen
GK David Yelldell and Koblenz at Paderborn
Yesterday
GK Tim Howard 90 minutes in Everton's 2-0 loss to Benfica
MF Clint Dempsey 90 in Fulham's 2-1 loss at Roma
GK Dom Cervi in 18, didn't play in Celtic's 0-0 tie at Hamburg

*Maryland wraps up the regular season tonight in College Park with a non-league match against College of Charleston. By the end of the night, the sixth-ranked Terps will know whether they'll be the first, second or third seed in next week's ACC tournament. To finish first, Maryland needs Wake Forest to lose at home to Duke and North Carolina to lose or tie at Clemson.

*The ACC women's tournament semifinals are tonight in Cary, N.C., with No. 4 seed Virginia Tech facing top seed Florida State and No. 2 Boston College playing No. 3 North Carolina.

By Steve Goff  |  November 6, 2009; 8:55 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , College Soccer , MLS , Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Crew-RSL Countdown
Next: Pulling Ponytails and Other Mischief

Comments

I'm just glad you didn't say "the comely George Clooney and Jeff Bridges."

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 6, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Great commentary from the Columbus Dispatch. Columbus didn't do what was required to dismiss an inferior squad and move on to the next round. All are to blame.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | November 6, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

"Comely" is incongruous with that librarian-on-her-way-to-a-quilting-bee outfit. Nevertheless, I'm sure that a few lower level staffers were trampled in the rush to see her... ummm... support 1GOAL.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 6, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

nah, it's the lower level staffers who were doing the trampling. senior officials have her by the office for coffee.

and for the record, she could wear a burlap sack and I'd still pay attention.

Posted by: troy6 | November 6, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

"Coffee" is right; she hasn't eaten anything since Dark Angel.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | November 6, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Is she entering the convent? She doesn't need to dress like the Sisters of the Poor or be demure. I mean, it's Congress, there's more sex and scandal there than in most work places.

Posted by: delantero | November 6, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

"a Chivas documentary!" HAHAHA

Any word on Charlie Davies's condition?

Posted by: rmontcal | November 6, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Interesting coincidence that Kevin Spacey is in the Goats film and a spokesman for 1Goal.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 6, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Were there state secrets involved in the car accident Charlie Davies was in? Why haven't the Park Police released anything after 3 weeks?

Posted by: GeneWells | November 6, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

And what does Kevin Payne think of the 4 goals that RSL was able to score on Columbus? Can the Dean of Proper Quality Football, and owner of a 10th place team let us know what he thinks?

Posted by: delantero | November 6, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

That picture of Jessica Alba is not money, at all. The photog should retire. Or maybe she was just having an off day.

Based on that particular pic, she is not very "comely". I see better looking cuties on the Orange line everyday.

She is a lot stronger than that photo. I don't even go to the movies once a year and even I know that.

Sounds like a great cause by the way...

Posted by: yankiboy | November 6, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of beautiful women, and English sporting events I would like to have seen, read this story...

Posted by: DCU4LIFE | November 6, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Soccer chick playing rough. Is it hustle or poor sportsmanship? I think it's SEXY.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | November 6, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Apparently the officiating in NCAA Women's Soccer is worse than in MLS. I don't understand how the New Mexico Defender didn't get multiple yellows/straight red during this match:

Posted by: JMSinCHeights | November 6, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Only 10k for a playoff match?

Posted by: rockotodd | November 6, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Ahhh Jalba. I've seen some babes on the hill in my day, but as troy said she could wear anything and blow the competition out of the freaking water. Memories of standing in line for lobbyists, eating congressional breakfast in the cafeteria and drooling over comely staffers come flooding back. Drinks at the Tune Inn after an over nighter. Not a bad way to start a day as a DC courier... My wife is probably happy that those days are behind me;-)

Speaking of Albas check out Jess's cousin Salba...

Posted by: DadRyan | November 6, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

@rockotodd

yeah, that number seemed surprisingly low. i guess ESPN did a great job of making it look like the place was packed, because it seemed like a great crowd.

never been a Jessica Alba fan, and that picture ain't helping. i guess she's the Serie A of actresses for me.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | November 6, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

It's not her acting that anyone likes dimes...

Posted by: DadRyan | November 6, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan's link is not really safe for work or your marriage.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 6, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

haha dadryan's link is easily R rated.

I really hope Chicago wins so I don't have to watch the conference semi final in NE.

Posted by: grubbsbl | November 6, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Ha. Ha... You guys looked. Bet you looked twice.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 6, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I didn't mean to look. I was shopping for a burlap sack.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 6, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

You guys are vicious. Nicely done.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 6, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Joe Doc isn't posting the lyrics to Jessica by The Allman Brothers, so here's a clip:

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 6, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

My friend said Jessica Alba has herpes..

Posted by: StewartDC8 | November 6, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

If your friend contracted it from her, then you should chip in for the Valtrex.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 6, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse