World Cup Issues, James Surgery, ACC

*I'm looking forward to the World Cup. I'm not particularly looking forward to the logistics of attending the World Cup in South Africa, where problems continue to hamper preparations. The latest setbacks are rail service and hotel costs. A rental car is an option, and given the price of reasonable accommodations, perhaps you could sleep in the vehicle, as well.

*D.C. United defender Julius James underwent shoulder surgery. Details to come. [UPDATE: Sidelined 3-4 months.] Goalkeeper Josh Wicks (shoulder) and forward Santino Quaranta (foot) have also undergone operations in recent weeks.

*The ACC men's tournament pairings are set for Cary, N.C.:
Tuesday
#8 seed Virginia Tech vs. #9 seed Clemson, 1 p.m.
Wednesday
#4 Maryland vs. #5 Virginia, noon
#3 Boston College vs. #6 Duke, 2:30
#1 Wake Forest vs. VT/Clemson winner, 5:30
#2 North Carolina vs. #7 N.C. State, 8
(Semifinals Friday night, final Sunday afternoon)

*Soccer America rankings: 1. Akron (18-0-0); 2. North Carolina (13-2-2); 3. Wake Forest (13-3-2); 4. UC Santa Barbara (14-3-2); 5. UCLA (10-3-3); 6. Maryland (12-4-2); 7. Louisville (13-2-3); 8. Virginia (12-3-2); 9. Harvard (12-3-1); 10. South Florida (13-3-3); 11. Connecticut (11-4-3); 12. Monmouth (16-1-1); 13. Stanford (10-4-2); 14. St. John's (8-2-8); 15. Tulsa (11-4-2); 16. Ohio State (10-4-4); 17. Boston College (11-7-0); 18. Butler (13-2-1); 19. Missouri State (12-3-2); 20. Duke (12-5-0); 21. Dayton (13-4-1); 22. Northwestern (10-3-4); 23. N.C. State (12-5-1); 24. San Diego (12-4-1); 25. Notre Dame (10-7-2).

By Steve Goff  |  November 9, 2009; 12:27 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , College Soccer , D.C. United , South Africa
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans Abroad
Next: Hall of Fame Nominees

Comments

Wasn't the rail always scheduled to be operational after the start of the tournament?

Posted by: sitruc | November 9, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

So, how does the ACC end up ranking BC over the Terps?

Posted by: fischy | November 9, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

BC finished ahead of Maryland in league play (15 points to 14 points). Terps higher ranked nationally because of superior overall record, non-conference schedule.

Posted by: Steve Goff | November 9, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Good luck to Julius James. Like just about everyone on the roster in a transitional offseason, it's hard to tell whether he'll be back next season.

His late game "I pulled my hamstring but I'm still to outjump you to head this thing in" goal at KC would have been one of the epic goals in team history if DC had made a playoff run.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 9, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody know how Charlie Davies is doing?

Posted by: chemweapon | November 9, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Being a complete ACC-Centric, who is on Akron that is keeping them up? Are there USMNT prospects on that side? Future MLS/International stars?

Who can give me the quick overview?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | November 9, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Went down to Charlottesville for the NC State game saturday night. Based on this game ( I usually get to more of their games, but in this economy, etc etc etc) I'd say this is the blandest, most pedestrian UVA team I have ever seen.

UVA does have a pretty good midfield, led by dynamo Neil Barlow. His work rate is astounding and he was a constant deep threat. Their defense is organized and well-coached. Keeper was not tested that much, but his distribution was pretty good.

UVA's #23 looked like Pele-in-the-making the first 15 minutes of the game, but was pretty quiet after that. The UVA #8 hit a nice free kick which deflected off a foot to make the score 1-0 which would hold up as the final.

UVA's movement off the ball was not great. Instead of making runs into space, too often would-be pass recipients would converge on the ball, limiting their usefulnesss for mounting attacks.

UVA does not seem to have any pure strikers as they have in the past, say in the mold of Reyering, Christman, or Eskandarian.

And they still play a lot of bootball. It was suprising to see them just launch it up the field time after time. They scored with about 10 to go in the first half, and then seemed content to try to grind out the 1-0 win. Pretty uncharacteristic of UVA soccer, I would say. I expected them to go for more, but they were content to play pretty boring socer the rest of the way.

Oh, and someone please tell one Mrs. George Gelnovatch not to let hubby out of the house in his pajamas. George had on a ratty old t-shirt, untucked and dangling almost to his knees, and a pair of probably moth-eaten warm-up pants. The $4/hr ball boys were dressed better than a certain Division I college soccer coach.

Posted by: Ron16 | November 9, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Not sure about Akron so I can't speak toward thier team. Once again the ACC flexes its muscle by having 7 teams in the top 25 (and 4 in the top 10). The ACC tourney is wide open and we have to hope that the Terps make some noise so that they can host some first round games at the friendly confines of Ludwig. The Terps have had their struggles scoring lately but the defending ACC champs and National Champs have the best coach in the country in Sasho. He can can get the best out of his players. VAMOS TERPS!!

Posted by: terptilldeath | November 9, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

We have reserved a rental car for South Africa, but the cost for an automatic transmission vehicle is roughly $60 per day -- yikes!

Posted by: DCUSince96 | November 9, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Ron16: I Was there! I wrote a very brief blurb in a previous thread that matches your descriptions. Yours is much better.

Don't forget one more thing UVA did consistently: Entry passes from MF to striker at a cannonball pace, knee high to the wrong side of the strikers off foot.

Needless to say, no UVA striker took many of those passes well...

Posted by: JkR- | November 9, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

JkR -

Yeah that and the fact that all the strikers/a-mids all seemed to prefer to play with their backs to the goal. No wonder this edition of the UVA team is so low-scoring.

Have you gone to any other UVA games this season? If so, was GG doing the "grunge look" at the other games as well?

I sure would like to know you you got the umlaut to work...

Posted by: Ron16 | November 9, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Ron16: The umlaut is a copy and paste deal. First game for me, I was visiting my daughter, a 'First Year.'

Posted by: JkR- | November 9, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Also on UVA I meant to add that Jonathan Villanueva has to be considered a dud based on comparing his overall play to his hype coming in. To his credit he has a good soccer mind -- he has good ideas and positions himself well, but he simply is just too slow to be very dangerous. He was easily the weakest link in the midfield for UVA Saturday night. Barlow is ten times the player Villanueva is, and I am not exaggerating. Well, not much.

JV came on at about the hour mark as I recall, and still was not able to do much, (other than that shot from the top of the box that whistled just over the crossbar) agains the tired legs of NC State.

Posted by: Ron16 | November 9, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

What happened to the hotshot freshman, I mean "first year in Mr. Jefferson's Academical Village", from Bays/McDonogh?

Posted by: OWNTF | November 9, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

All you need to know about umlauts and other funny letters for soccer purposes:

ñ = [Alt] 0-2-4-1
ö = [Alt] 0-2-4-6
ø = [Alt] 0-2-4-8
ß = [Alt] 0-2-2-3
€ = [Alt] 0-1-2-8
£ = [Alt]0-1-6-3

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 9, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | November 9, 2009 3:23 PM

===========================
You must mean Agorsor, in looking at my roster.

I didn't see him, which is good, because the Box score says he didn't play. No idea why, must be in Germany for a hernia.... ;)

Posted by: JkR- | November 9, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: terptilldeath | November 9, 2009 1:41 PM
__________________________________________

The top 16 teams get a first-round bye, and host the second-round game. The next 16 host a first-round game. The Terps would have to do very badly (e.g., a total meltdown in the ACC first round) not to snag one of the top 16 slots. The real question is whether their performance this week will get them one of the top eight (or even top four) seeds, thus extending home-field advantage deeper into the tournament.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 9, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what happened to Yannick Reyerick. I think, last I heard, he was UVa's placekicker last season (maybe not the entire season, though).

Posted by: Reignking | November 9, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

138 days until United's first 2010 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | November 9, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Not sure sleeping in ones car in South Africa would be the safest idea around...

Posted by: ricecloudnine | November 10, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse