Matchnight: Galaxy-Dynamo

Coverage of the MLS Western Conference final is scheduled to begin on ESPN2 at 11 p.m. ET, but kickoff won't occur until about 11:25. The pregame show provides a cushion in case the college football game between West Virginia and Cincinnati runs late (as college football games commonly do).

If you're planning to watch the match, why not make it an all-nighter and take in the World Cup qualifying playoff between New Zealand and Bahrain live at 2 a.m. on Fox Soccer Channel, sleep a few hours and then awake in time for the Slovakia-USA friendly at 10 a.m. on FSC.

As of early this evening, tickets at Home Depot Center were still available, but a good walk-up crowd might result in a sellout (27,000).

Your pregame, in-game and postgame thoughts are encouraged.

By Steve Goff  |  November 13, 2009; 8:00 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Penalty Kick Distractions
Next: Matchday Saturday

Comments

Galaxy 2 Buddle 50' Donovan (PK) 78'
Dynamo 1 Ching 13'

Posted by: LAfanofSI | November 13, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Planning on doing the all nighter, for the sake of finishing my high school football team's highlight video, and will gladly accept these games as a way to keep me interested in things around me as I do something this time consuming and painstakingly slow.

Anyway, LA 3-2, NZ 2-1, and Hawks 104-98.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 13, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

@LAfanofSI: Donovan will miss the PK because of the cartwheeling GK

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 13, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Starting one of the most important matches of the season at 11:25 PM, eastern?

Well done, MLS & ESPN. You've really outdone yourselves this time.

Posted by: Phil_McCracken | November 13, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Good to see that ESPN is finally doing something right. Most of the time it's for the WNBA though. 1-0 LA, 2-0 NZ & 2-0 USA.

Posted by: dculoyal | November 13, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Starting one of the most important matches of the season at 11:25 PM, eastern?

Well done, MLS & ESPN. You've really outdone yourselves this time.

Posted by: Phil_McCracken
=====

Would you have preferred starting the game at 5pm local time and have ticket holders miss part of the game as they finish work and fight their way through traffic to get to the stadium?

Posted by: emanon13 | November 13, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I hate Cincy. I respect WVU and loathe their fans.

Posted by: sitruc | November 13, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Well, ESPN or MLS could have put the LA-HOU match on Saturday and the CHI-RSL match at 7 or 8 PM CST tonight. But then the "casual viewer" would be watching college football on Saturday instead of Beckham.

I think those who want to watch will and those who don't wont. Soccer ratings are so poor in the US that the time probably has little bearing on the audience size.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 13, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Don't know bout you guys, but after this, I'm rooting for Algeria.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 13, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Those little voice over opens ESPN has been doing have been great.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 13, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

If you love futbol you watch the game at any time, World cup fever is near, i am staying up to watch new zealand and bahrain.

Posted by: Norteno4life | November 13, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: emanon13 | November 13, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------
No, but how bout an hour earlier? Makes a big difference.

Posted by: Phil_McCracken | November 13, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

I've watched some of the Bahrain games during Asian qualifying ... hoping the gritty nation can defeat the Kiwis and advance to their first World Cup.

Posted by: Cerealman | November 13, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Could you get odds on Dema Kovalenko making the first hard, awkward tackle? Or is that just something we all know and they let you bet on the second now?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 13, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Kind of weird the lights went out around the top, but not on the suites or ad boards...

(I'll leave someone else to make the RFK/Cuba jokes)

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 13, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Huh. Home Depot Center just pulled a RFK.

Posted by: B_A_ | November 13, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Re: the Algeria-Egypt match, I hope there's a stream to watch. The NYT has a good blog post with more of the context and history of the rivalry: http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/13/egypt-and-algeria-brace-for-match-of-hate-sequel/

If Algeria wins (or ties, or loses by no more than 1 goal), I don't know how they make it out of the stadium...

Posted by: edgeonyou | November 13, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

lol B_A_. Yes, the Home Depot Center did just pull an RFK!

B-O-R-I-N-G

Posted by: redskinsux | November 14, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Ives is saying the blackout hit the entire city of Carson, not just HDC

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 14, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

not a bad match but lights going out sucked.

Posted by: godpere | November 14, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

This one feels like it's going to have several more momentum changes in it before it's through.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | November 14, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

And it looks like beckham went for Ricky vaughn's vegomatic haircut before the game.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | November 14, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

whats on Beckhams head. Eww. Went for the $5 haircut option cause he was on the go!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | November 14, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Lights out at the HDC!

Posted by: chemweapon | November 14, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Another outage...

Posted by: sitruc | November 14, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

se fue la luz!!!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | November 14, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Worse than RFK :)

Posted by: Reignking | November 14, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

This is embarrassing, annoying and killing theheck out of this game.

Posted by: Kosh2 | November 14, 2009 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Did the DC stadium authority assume control of the HDC for tonights match?

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | November 14, 2009 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Put lights on the ball and goalposts! Paint the lines with glow-in-the-dark paint!

Posted by: B_A_ | November 14, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

At this rate this game should be ending with just enough time for me to switch over to FSC for the friendly at 10AM.

Posted by: Kosh2 | November 14, 2009 12:58 AM | Report abuse

This is crazy. I'm going to bed. Hopefully, Nielson is not keeping count in the second half. BTW, Mr. Harkes, this isn't acceptable at a new soccer only stadium.

Posted by: source100 | November 14, 2009 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Rolling blackouts? Really? Do I believe that?

Posted by: sitruc | November 14, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

SoCalEdison doesn't have anything on their website about rolling blackouts... not yet at least.

Posted by: prokaryote | November 14, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

It's a day game in New Zealand, right?

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | November 14, 2009 1:12 AM | Report abuse

houston has yet to show up

Posted by: Norteno4life | November 14, 2009 1:28 AM | Report abuse

Houston showed up for a good amount of time late in the second half and even scored... Then LA controlled to finish out regulation.

Posted by: sitruc | November 14, 2009 1:53 AM | Report abuse

Which will end first: New Zealand/Bahrain or Galaxy/Dynamo?

Posted by: addick | November 14, 2009 1:59 AM | Report abuse

I didn't want to miss the beginning of the New Zealand-Bahrain game either...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 14, 2009 2:01 AM | Report abuse

What an effin' pile of ZZzzzzzzzz...
suck.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 14, 2009 2:09 AM | Report abuse

of course it's Berhalter... everyone hated on his nutz...

Posted by: DadRyan | November 14, 2009 2:15 AM | Report abuse

1-0 Galaxy in 1st overtime. Can they hold on?

Posted by: redskinsux | November 14, 2009 2:16 AM | Report abuse

2-0 in 2nd overtime because of a PK. Bye-bye Dynamo.

Do'h for United's coaching search.

Posted by: redskinsux | November 14, 2009 2:18 AM | Report abuse

Well played Terry Vaughn. If I were Brian Ching, I'd want a round in the ring with him after this one.

Posted by: wis193 | November 14, 2009 2:22 AM | Report abuse

congrats YOU LA Gays...I mean Gals...
Houston wasn't up for it.
Lets see....

Posted by: DadRyan | November 14, 2009 2:27 AM | Report abuse

All the DCU fans I was watching this with were 'cheering' for Houston. Me, too. Personally, I'm hoping RSL pulls a (mighty big) rabbit out of their hat and wins the cup.

Posted by: KireDCU | November 14, 2009 2:47 AM | Report abuse

New Zealand up 1-0 off the head of Rory Fallon from a corner in the beginning of stoppage time of the first half

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 14, 2009 2:48 AM | Report abuse

I wasn't pulling for Houston. I'd like to see RSL win it all at this point.

Posted by: sitruc | November 14, 2009 3:00 AM | Report abuse

Penalty awarded to Bahrain in the 50th. Easy, correct call.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 14, 2009 3:09 AM | Report abuse

Penalty saved! Not the best shot ever, but the keeper did good not to give up a rebound

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 14, 2009 3:10 AM | Report abuse

One can only hope that the USA gets drawn into the same group as New Zealand, which is easily the worst team in the World Cup.

But for now ... well done, Kiwis.

Posted by: Cerealman | November 14, 2009 3:55 AM | Report abuse

I was planning on watching the match, but every time I get to FSC I change channel because why would they be playing a live match at 3am? That LA-Houston match has me messed up. I can't think properly. What's Steve's college basketball slate going to look like?

Posted by: sitruc | November 14, 2009 3:56 AM | Report abuse

All Whites to South Africa.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 14, 2009 4:05 AM | Report abuse

I hate Cincy. I respect WVU and loathe their fans.

Posted by: sitruc | November 13, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

HEY! That hurts :(

Posted by: jermWV | November 14, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

All Whites to South Africa.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 14, 2009 4:05 AM | Report abuse
==============

Is that like reverse jihad for the Aryan Nation types?

Posted by: OWNTF | November 14, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Well, their rugby team is called the All Blacks. The Kiwis (another nickname) are really suffering from an identity crisis.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 14, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Ya know, if the All Whites got their laundry mixed up with the Spaniards', they'd be All Pinks.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 14, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse