Donovan Is MVP

*Landon Donovan is the MLS most valuable player, finishing ahead of Golden Boot winner Jeff Cunningham of Dallas and New England midfielder Shalrie Joseph. In the league's complicated voting procedure involving media, coaches, general managers and players, Donovan received a weighted score of 39percent, Cunningham 25.3 and Joseph 17.6.

Donovan had 12 goals and six assists in 25 regular season matches for the Western champion Galaxy. The only other Los Angeles recipient was Carlos Ruiz in 2002. Donovan is only the second U.S.-born winner the past nine seasons (Taylor Twellman).

*After three seasons at Chivas USA, Preki was introduced as Toronto FC coach today. "Preki has everything we were looking for, and we feel he will be a perfect fit with our club," TFC Director of Soccer Mo Johnston said. "His resume with Chivas is impressive -- having made it to the playoffs in every season he was there. His experience is what we need to take this club to the next level, and we can't wait to get started."

*The new USL-1 club in Tampa Bay has hired its first coach: Paul Dalglish, 32, who played two seasons for Houston and is the son of EnglishScottish legend Kenny Dalglish.

*The Galaxy has cancelled its postseason friendlies in Germany -- Kaiserslautern on Nov. 26 and a Dec. 1 match against a unidentified club -- because of "lack of communication and performance by the organizer and promoter."

By Steve Goff  |  November 19, 2009; 5:15 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS News & Notes
Next: Olsen Weighs Retirement

Comments

In other words, Landon did not want to go to Germany again.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 19, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Good for Donovan, he's had a pretty great season for club and country. I'm hoping that next year will be bigger for him especially for the Stars and Stripes!

Enjoy Seattle Steve, you know there are a bunch of great Ethiopian restaurants up the hill from the International District on and around 12th ave near Seattle University if you're into kinda thing.
Enjoy!

Posted by: DadRyan | November 19, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

When I think "Seattle", "Ethiopian" doesn't come to mind.

Did someone say "Donovan"?!

"I'm just mad about Saffron
Saffron's mad about me
I'm just mad about Saffron
She's just mad about me..."

I guess that makes Donovan a Columbus Crew fan.

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 19, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Sky Sports News reported the other club as being Schalke, which was news to me.

Posted by: EricB1 | November 19, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. Sorry, just can't stand Donovan anymore. Stay in LA, enjoy yourself, and lead the US to another flop in the World Cup 2010. Can't wait.

Posted by: hacksaw | November 19, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

@ hacksaw, you're bringing me down man

"I used to walk in the shade
with those blues on parade
But I'm not afraid
'cause this rover, crossed over

If I never had a cent
I'll be as rich as rockfeller
Gold dust at my feet
on the sunny side of the street"

C'mon man, walk on the sunny side.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 19, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

From Donovan's Twitter:

"Psyched about MVP... Jeff, Shal both good players. I can't stand Hacksaw."

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 19, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Icon Grill - Ate there in July. Good food good ambience.
1933 5th Ave

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 19, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

"When I think "Seattle", "Ethiopian" doesn't come to mind."

Uhhh, who do think drives all the cabs JD?
Some haunts in the last hood I lived in, in Seattle...

Posted by: DadRyan | November 19, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

For the second time in two years, a coach has finished his contract and left for another team (Sigi last year, Preki this year). There's something odd about coaches having the ability to do this but not players.

Posted by: argo0 | November 19, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

When Donovan only wanted to play in SoCal I used to call him "Sunshine Superman" -- nobody got the joke.

Posted by: stancollins | November 19, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

But now, Superman or Green Lantern ain't got nothin' on him.

Posted by: stancollins | November 19, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Well done, stancollins! HA!

Posted by: OWNTF | November 19, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse