MLS News & Notes

*MLS will announce the MVP winner Thursday after 4:30 p.m. ET on ESPNews. However, none of the three finalists will be present for the ceremony in Seattle. Jeff Cunningham is returning from the USA friendly in Denmark, Shalrie Joseph is apparently on vacation and Landon Donovan will be en route from Los Angeles with the Galaxy. I'm thinking Donovan is the winner.

*Guidelines for next Wednesday's expansion draft are set: Philadelphia will select 10 players; current clubs must submit their 11-man protected list by Monday afternoon; no club will lose more than one player, which means five teams won't lose anyone; Generation Adidas and home-grown players (for D.C. United, that means Rodney Wallace and Bill Hamid) need not be protected; developmental players claimed must be offered a senior contract; clubs must protect designated players that have no-trade clauses.

DCU will surely protect Pontius, Namoff, Quaranta, Simms, Jakovic and James. Despite high salaries, Moreno and Olsen might be included because of their value to the organization. Emilio and Fred make a lot of money and probably wouldn't be targeted by Philadelphia. There's a chance DCU wouldn't re-sign them anyway, so the club instead could choose to protect affordable players such as McTavish, Szetela, Khumalo, Shipalane, Jacobson or Barklage.

So much more on the continuation of this thread.....

*DCU goalkeeper Josh Wicks underwent surgery on his right knee, his second operation in recent weeks. He had shoulder damage repaired last month, stemming from his season-ending injury against San Jose in September. He remains on schedule to miss four to six months. Whether DCU retains him after his recovery is another question.

*The Red Bulls confirmed to the Insider that Norwegian Erik Soler, a former player and agent who has been an executive with IK Start, is a candidate for the club's sporting director job. An independent source tells me that Soler was in New Jersey today. Soler was once affiliated in the representation industry with USA-based agent Lyle Yorks. Yorks was a teammate at Virginia (and briefly DCU) with Richie Williams. If hired, Soler would have a major say in whether Williams is given the head coaching job. Okay, I'm reading too much into it, but the connections are interesting, no?

*Preki, who guided Chivas USA for three seasons, has finalized an agreement to become Toronto FC coach and will be formally introduced Thursday.

*Donovan wins MLS goal of the year for this strike while Pat Onstad receives save of the year honors for this sequence.

*Third Eye Blind will perform outside Qwest Field before MLS Cup.

By Steve Goff  |  November 18, 2009; 7:15 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA Loses at Denmark, 3-1
Next: Donovan Is MVP

Comments

Third Eye Blind is only performing outside the stadium because they don't have enough money to afford a ticket to get inside.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | November 18, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCU_Rick | November 18, 2009 7:41 PM
------------------

You'd be surprised. Colleges throw down to get them booked.

BTW, Thierry Henry is a cheat.

Posted by: HWLongfellow | November 18, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

For all those ripping into Henry --- Ho many players intentionally handle a ball during the course of a year? I'd say most of them. Are they all cheats? Remember Rodney Wallace reaching for the sky to handle a ball? Is he "a cheat"? The ball came to Henry unexpectedly. He reacted by moving his hand about 6 inches -- perhaps even less...It was a natural reaction, albeit an illegal one. He still plays the game beautifully. You don't see him making cheap, dirty fouls, or pulling shirts. And, you don't see him diving. Would that there were more like him.

Posted by: fischy | November 18, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Onstad deserved the award. He had what might have been his best year, looking a some of the amazing saves he made. MLS is lucky to have him. I'm sure Vancouver is hoping they can get him. Donovan's shot is still kinda mind-blowing. Maybe not the most spectacular goal from some angles...until you see the bend he put on that ball.

Third Eye Blind is performing outside the stadium because they don't want to be shown up by the Sounders' arching band.

Posted by: fischy | November 18, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Third Eye Blind?

What is this HFStival 1997 or 1998?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 18, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Fischy, I picked up you being Jewish, but I didn't know you were French too... There's no sticking up for Henry unless you are. It may not have been a conscious decision on his part, it was still cheating. Reminds me of Adebayor's face rake on RBP earlier this year. This isn't a condensed video of a women's college game. Gallas's reaction after the goal tells the whole story just like Adebayor's after he realized he'd done the wrong thing to Robin in that incident.

Moments that soccer fans will hardly forget as quickly as they will Schevchenko crying after getting knocked out by Greece today.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 18, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the Henry handball-gate, dude just admitted that he did handle the ball, and he shoved the ref under the bus for added measure. I may be nuts for saying this, but please Lord draw us with France in the same group and let them be our game one. PLEASE!! Because that whole theory of refs and make up calls is now officially under careful study and observation. There's gonna be lots of venom for this and man do I pitty the guy who gets the ref the games for France.

I'm flummoxed by Henry's play here - is he a class guy for admitting it, especially so soon, or is he a dirt bag cheat for intentionally handling the ball? This one's a riddle for me.

Posted by: Kosh2 | November 18, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Whoa!! Just saw a replay of handball-gate, and that was some stone cold, deliberate, whole heartedly intentional, blatant, clearly evident...CHEATING!!! Wow! I feel for the Irish, because that is a disgusting way to go out and cowardly way to settle the game. US fans know this feeling all too well as behavior like that hurt us in '02.

I have always been a fan of Henry, but I'm not so sure how I can watch him the same again. Not that this amounts to a single bean, but my heart goes out to Ireland and her fans. This one is going to smart for a while, I can't lie about that.

Posted by: Kosh2 | November 18, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Henry?

Do you guys really want Onalfo? Rongen?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | November 18, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

The FFF will ban Henry for the next friendly or two and that will be that.

And, to answer your riddle Kosh, a dirt bag cheat.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 18, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Third Eye Blind? What is MLS trying to do to it's supporters!?! Jaysus! Ireland is the true pride. French play is so... French. God, how about a true French rugby eye-gouge fer chrissakes! Up Keane and the boys!

Posted by: eyeprose | November 18, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

@ UnitedDemon -

We are concerned too but we are behind the eight-ball on this one, the decisions are not in our hands. Other people have to make a call before we can if we want to get Williams (and maybe even Onalfo). That's assuming DCU really wants those guys in the first place. We feel and we want this situation to be resolved, but it's just simply out of our hands. Why lose sleep over a situation like that?

Posted by: Kosh2 | November 18, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

"Did you just read the part where our best coaching choice, Preki, is off the shelf and everybody's favorite, Richie, might not be on the shelves much longer either."

Posted by: UnitedDemon | November 18, 2009
---------------------------------------------------------------

He's not my "best coaching choice," and I'd be stunned to hear that he was ever under serious consideration by United. His defense-first appraoch is antithetical to the "attacking style" that Payne and company wants.

And I, for one, am happy about that.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | November 18, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

For those who haven't seen the quote yet: "I will be honest, it was a hand ball. But I'm not the ref," Henry said. "I played it. The ref allowed it. That's a question you should ask him."

Posted by: emanon13 | November 18, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

when henry doesn't even stick up for henry, i don't know how anybody else can... except maybe his mom...

Posted by: poopoobigelow | November 18, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Very tough for √Čire. Unfortunately, the put themselves in this position by giving up the goal in extra time against Italy and then not getting a result at home on Saturday. I was hoping to see them in SA.

As far as the Henry play, the replay sure looked like he did it intentionally and his comment after the game sounds like he is putting the responsibiliy on the ref. In other words, handling the ball is ok if you don't get caught.

Posted by: tcbannon | November 18, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Henry will now most likely make a move to MLS since he will be getting so many threats in Europe. He is officially the Kanye West of soccer.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | November 18, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I can't reveal my source, but I just read that Sacha Kljestan's girl has made the top 2 for the Victoria's Secret model search... Time to stuff the ballot box you soccer nutz!

Posted by: DadRyan | November 18, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

'stuff the ballot box' sounds like euphemism for something dirty, especially when it's in the same sentence with 'victoria secret model'... am i missing something? you crazy kids and your slang...

Posted by: poopoobigelow | November 18, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

No slang here. Emo's girlfriend Jaime Lee has mad the final 2 in the VS model search. People love to stuff the ballot box when it comes MLS goal of the week, so I don't see why this is any different considering there is actually something at stake.
Voting pick up again monday from the looks of it...
right here:

Posted by: DadRyan | November 18, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't really sticking up for him. I was just pointing out it's overdone to suddenly start slamming Henry's character. Most players will handle a ball at some time in their career...and it's hardly the most offensive and most unsportsmanlike thing that occurs in a game. At least, the guy readily admits the ref should've called a foul. What was he supposed to do after touching the ball with his hand? Stop and signal for a foul? That vanished from organized sports the first time referee was brought in to make the cals.

Posted by: fischy | November 18, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm with fischy on this one. I would have preferred Ireland to advance but it's the ref's job to make the call and they missed both the offsides and the hand ball. C'est la vie as they say. I don't know the equivalent Gaelic phrase.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | November 19, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

It's not "suddenly slamming his character". It's slamming his character because he's a dirty cheater in a game that should be held in the highest regard. This isn't some domestic cup tie with his club team, it's WORLD FOOTBALL!!! It's a sin in my book. This isn't a match in group play, this was a DO OR DIE playoff. That's right, everyone gets a good nights sleep, and the playing field is as level as it'll ever be. FIFA owes the WORLD a JUST outcome, because it doesn't get anymore cut and dry than Henry coming out immediately and saying it was a handball. Blaming the refs is bogus. Hasn't helped Liz Lambert much has it?

So the girl who lost her head in New Mexico should never play soccer again, but the time honored, legendary professional, who cheated his entire country into the World Cup and also single HANDily knocked an entire nation out should get to waltz into the big dance with nothing other than a sideways glance?

Cancel my subscription.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 19, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Gosh Henry, you could play for the Cubs!

Posted by: hokieunited | November 19, 2009 1:47 AM | Report abuse

I never wanted Preki for United, but to call him a "defense-first" coach is really disingenuous. Did none of you see Chivas last year? They were just about the most attack-oriented team in the league.

The only reason you frequently saw "negative-football" from Chivas this year, were the lengthy injuries to their better attacking players.

Posted by: alecw81 | November 19, 2009 2:15 AM | Report abuse

I find myself less mad at Henry and more sorry for the Irish. No team (not even Mexico) deserves to have a goal like that be the one that kills their dream.

With all due respect to them and the French, however, I'm going to focus on what's more important to me: DC's protected list.

Here's my current idea, in descending order from the players that must absolutely be kept to players that I could take or leave:

Jakovic
Pontius
Quaranta
Namoff
Simms
Moreno
Olsen
James
Szetela
Khumalo
Jacobson

Jacobson has some raw tools that another coach might develop. I still believe he'd draw a decent value in a trade as well (especially with the number of MLS teams going to 4231 formations, or 442s with dual holding central midfielders).

Khumalo, for the price, is a decent value, and I'd rather keep him over Burch (who we should be trying to improve upon, and is too expensive to be 2nd choice).

Szetela has a relationship with Nowak, so you'd imagine Philly will be interested; we might as well make them pay for it. I'd also be perfectly fine if he was on the roster on opening day next season, since I think another coach will have every chance to get more out of him than Soehn did.

James probably shouldn't be a starter for us (unless we acquire a new keeper and left back that are both among the MLS elite at their positions), but as our #3 center back he's a good guy to have. He's still a bit of a project, but his athleticism and bravery (which can't really be taught) are attributes we'd find hard to replace.

The top 7 are all guys that shouldn't require any explanation.

As for Emilio, Gomez, Fred, and Burch...take a major pay cut, understand that you're entering camp fighting for your spot on the team (not just walking into a starting role), and I have no problem with keeping them. However, I feel it's much more realistic for United to already be discreetly gauging Honduran interest in Emilio and Aussie interest in Fred. Maybe we can get a transfer fee, maybe not, but at anything near their current salaries both can't be kept if we want to make the right moves. Gomez is probably no longer anything more than a supersub, since he has lost that quick first 2 or 3 steps that were so valuable to his game. Burch is probably at or very near his ceiling as a player, and he's still not good enough of a defender for us to trust (unless James and Wicks/whoever are replaced by top-notch players). It's probably time to move on.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 19, 2009 2:41 AM | Report abuse

What about GKs? Can we keep Cronin and deal Wicks?

Posted by: redskinsux | November 19, 2009 5:08 AM | Report abuse

I thought we were required to protect Emilio b/c he's a DP. I don't think we can protect Cronin b/c he's not our property--was just on loan. I suspect we expose Kocic and Wicks (Wicks won't be taken b/c he won't even be healthy by the start of the season) b/c we really want to not go into the season with Kocic as our starter at this point--he may become a good GK but he's raw right now.

Posted by: JoeW1 | November 19, 2009 7:17 AM | Report abuse

I was looking at Chest's protected list and thinking Khumalo? However, as I went down the rest of the roster, I couldn't come up with anyone better -- maybe McTavish for his versatility. Really underscores what an underperforming lot last year's team was.

Posted by: griffin1108 | November 19, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | November 19, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

At some point you have to wonder if the under performing players are all aging or is it a lack of desire to play for megalomaniacal management? Only Will Chang can find the answers, if he asks the right people the right questions. I would start with Fred, personally.

Posted by: dsheon1 | November 19, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Meet the new jersey
Same as the old jersey

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 19, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Wow, a white jersey. Yawn.

I'm with fischy.

Posted by: Reignking | November 19, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I will have to buy that jersey, however just cause i buy it doesnt mean i like it.

Posted by: Norteno4life | November 19, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

There is a blue one with white sash and a red one with blue sash tumbling around in the rumor dryer guys. I for one would be happy if the red one becomes a reality. The white one will grow on you like the old one if you let it.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 19, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

i like the jersey. i am a fan of the sash. reminds me of those retro-1950 world cup shirts.

Posted by: birdynumnum | November 19, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I am a fan of the sash as well, just not having it in grey like that. I'd rather see something more bold, or at least have it outlined in red.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | November 19, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Actually, I couldn't care less about jerseys, anyway. Not like I'll ever buy one.

Posted by: Reignking | November 19, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

For me, Henry running around the pitch in jubilation after knowingly handling the ball to set up the winning goal is more of an indictment.

Posted by: Tweaked | November 19, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Thursday Kickaround? Goff? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 19, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Looking at the Expansion draft, with Wallace and Hamid already protected, and 11 players to protect,
Jakovic
Nanmoff
Simms
Quaranta
Pontius
Moreno
Olsen
Szetela
James
Vaughn
Jacobson

Drop either Jacobson on Vaughn if Gomez or Emilio has a no-trade clause. You might wonder about Vaughn and James making the cut above Burch, but if you look at their effectiveness vs their salary (James is at $51,100 and Vaughn is at $34,650) they are both cheaper and just about as effective as Burch ($62,500).

Most likely player Nowak takes in this situation, I'm going with Devon McTavish. At $52,500, he's a good value and a solid player. I don't think Nowak is going to be willing to offer any of the developmental guys this leaves unprotected a Senior contract (which he has to offer anyone he signs from the expansion draft), which means Barcklage, Shippalane, DiRimando, and Allen all look to be safe also.

Posted by: joemybro | November 19, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

The video surely makes the handling look deliberate, and Henry's comments do not indicate otherwise. Deliberately handling the ball is a dishonorable act. One cannot remove the stain of dishonor by shifting responsibility to the referee to make the call. Even attempting to shift responsibility increases the dishonor. The fact that it was the decisive play in the entire qualification increases the dishonor.

If it was deliberate, it was dishonorable. I can't see any other way to look at it.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 19, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | November 19, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Chest -

I see you have Moreno and Olsen protected, which I am not a big fan of but I soemwhat get it. This is about the list and all, but you did not comment on their wages and cap hits. Do we keep these guys at their current price tags or should we try to negotiate a better, suitable price? Can we even negotiate better prices? These guys are legends and still have something to offer, not sure it's at a full-time rate though.

Posted by: Kosh2 | November 19, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Coverage of the FRA-IRL match showed Zidane and Barthez (?) up in the stands. I bet Zidane is so psyched -- no longer is his headbutt the latest example of French on-field infamy! He probably thanked Henry afterwards to assuming the role of Bad French Guy.

Posted by: 22206no1 | November 19, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Meet the new jersey
Same as the old jersey

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 19, 2009 8:23 AM

Umm, one has hoops and the other has a sash. There is no red striping on that new mock up. Crew, not v neck collar. They're quite different - and I really like the new one.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 19, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Goff's twitter points toward an early flight to Seattle this morning. Maybe we'll see a little afternoon kick around after he lands?

Posted by: DadRyan | November 19, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

The 1950 sash was brought back a couple of years ago. Now it's back again.

But it's not ugly.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 19, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

But it's not ugly.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 19, 2009 11:15 AM

And it's going from the player's right shoulder down - totally different ;-)

Posted by: Kev29 | November 19, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

The Football Association of Ireland have lodged a formal complaint with FIFA over the controversial World Cup play-off defeat to France and have urged world football's governing body to replay the match.

Posted by: Reignking | November 19, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Landon Donovan the guest on Bill Simmons' podcast

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 19, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

If that's the real jersey*, then I have to say close, but no cigar to Nike. The 1950's style sash is a great idea to bring back (again), and if they want to make it distinctive, instead of going for gray or silver (or whatever that is) why not make it red, white, and blue? That would call back to the 1950's US jersey without looking too similar to Peru's jersey.

Regardless, I'm sure it will end up looking fine in action; I was not a fan of our current jerseys at all when they were first unveiled, but I'm used to them now.

(*It looks pretty authentic, but the picture of Dempsey seems to be recycled from past promotional materials, which gives me some doubts- but it would make sense if these pictures were internal mock-ups). Ok, I'll cease the Nike kremlinology now.

Posted by: ricky_b | November 19, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff,

Can we get a shout-out for the amateur side AV Challenge (and their sponsor MVP Bus www.mvpbus.com) for winning the NVSL Premier Division last night?

Thanks!

Posted by: FbAller | November 19, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

There are blue and red jerseys where the sash is a seperate, solid color that definitely stands out. Blue has a white sash and red has a blue one.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 19, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

"i lay the blame more on FIFA then on henry. why no replay in important matches? technology has caught up to the game. with instant replay we ALL can see what happened, so why not use it?"

Replay is not going to always indicate whether the hand played the ball or the ball played the hand, that's a judgment for the referee! And when are they going to review the replay? there wont be a stoppage in the game if the foul is not called!

At the very most I can see instant replay being utilized to determine if a ball has crossed the goal line. That call is huge and lends itself naturally to review (either play has stopped because a goal has been awarded or the ball has been cleared off the line/possessed by the keeper).

For the record, I have not seen the hand-gate video and would have loved an Ireland victory.

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | November 19, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

No doubt that Ireland got screwed over by the noncall on Henry's handball but it was only one play out of many. They may have benefitted a few minutes earlier when the Irish goalie could have had a PK called on an Anelka breakaway.

In other news, (not sure if anyone posted video links in yesterday's WC qualifying threads) here's highlights and a summary of the Egypt-Algeria game in Sudan:

AND, the Maryland Terps start defending their men's NCAA Soccer crown when they host Loyola-MD at College Park at 7 pm tonight in the 1st Round of the NCAA tournament. Maryland's early loss in the ACC tournament probably cost them a bye as the top 16 nationally seeded teams don't have to play in this round.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 19, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

In thinking about it, what really sucks for Ireland . . . and Russia and Sweden . . . is that UEFA only gets 12 slots. That's kind of a joke.

Uruguay? New Zealand? North Korea?

Posted by: OWNTF | November 19, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

There can be no replay in the beautiful game. There are very few natural stoppages. And you can't replay this match. That opens the door to FIFA having to adjudicate replays for matches all the way down to U10 rec league.

The only way to handle deliberate cheating is video review and player/club/country sanctions. In this case ban Henry from international duty for at least enough of FIFA's upcoming international dates to keep him out of the group stages at WC 2010.

I firmly believe that if you hurt these players, they will stop cheating. The only way to hurt them, since the refs can't catch everything real time in the games, is video review.

Sadly, FIFA has been reluctant to institute an official video review policy. Makes it pretty obvious that they're not really concerned with cheating. Just making money. Like everybody else.

Wow that got bitter pretty fast.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

Posted by: Matte | November 19, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Henry knew this was the only way he would ever get mentioned in the same breath as Maradona.

Posted by: chrizzah | November 19, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you, Matte, that the players need more than a slap on the wrist for this kind of blatant cheating. It would have an effect.

But I do support video reply at the highest level of the game (there is no reason that lower levels must have it any more than high school American football needs it because the NFL uses it).

And speaking of the NFL, their coach's challenge system is the model I'd use to limit stoppages in play. I'd give them two per game and charge them a substitution when they're wrong (applied to the next game if they have already made three).

It's really only the most grievous errors that need to be righted, not every minor bad call.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | November 19, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

You can do one of two things:

1) Admit that referee mistakes are a part of soccer, and never complain about missed calls,

or 2) Support replay, or at the very least the addition of two more goal line refs.

You can't complain about the call and still say no to replay. It is impossible to expect one ref and two assistants to see the game as well as a dozen TV cameras do, especially when there can be dozens of players screening the refs at any one time.

Posted by: icehippo | November 19, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I think the best thing that could happen is to force ireland to play France and have it shown Worldwide for Free. Winner take all play-off on a thurseday 8pm eastern kick off. I know I know impossible because of the time diffrence, but I can't get enough of these WC Qualifiers.

Posted by: Norteno4life | November 19, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

If they had replay...instead of red flags, would the French coach get a white flag to wave?

Posted by: Reignking | November 19, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

LD gets goal of the year? Nice goal, but there were plenty of other ones that overshadowed his.

The Luck of the Irish will doom les bleu at WC 2010. Their first round exit will be justification for the cheater, but not for the cheated.

The jury is still out on when Szetela will prove his metal in the MLS?

Posted by: juke2 | November 19, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | November 19, 2009 10:49 AM

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 19, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

At least Thierry Henry didn't suggest that he was god. :-)

Posted by: DCUSince96 | November 19, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Officially renaming my freedom fries: dirtbag cheater fries in the interim.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 19, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

The jury is still out on when Szetela will prove his metal in the MLS?

Posted by: juke2 | November 19, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse
=============

If Szetela wants to prove he's mental in the MLS, then DC United is the place to do it.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 19, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Are you suggesting Danny is Whack?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 19, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Uruguay? New Zealand? North Korea?

Posted by: OWNTF

That's why they have the Euro Championships then the World Cup->to represent the best of the regions, grow the game, etc. Personally, I like the idea I've seeing spirited matchups from different sides, even if the technical ability may not be as good.

And who is really to say Ukraine or Russia is better than Uruguay or Honduras unless they play a one off?

Posted by: delantero | November 19, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | November 19, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

but why can't the referre make the judgement AFTER viewing an instant replay? how is that different from making a judgement WHILE the play is going on? everybody on this blog knows it was "hand playing the ball", so why can't the ref get a replay to review it and make the proper judgement? you can review the play after a goal OR at the next stoppage time if something was missed. also, you can let the clock keep running; it happens with serious injuries all the time. anyway, i only want to see replay for FIFA sanctioned/WC-type games, games where the technology is present.

Posted by: birdynumnum | November 19, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

No one really believes that the DCU front office operates with anything like a normal IQ, but seriously if they protect Moreno and/or Olsen in the draft, someone should call in a physician and declare the front office brain dead.

Posted by: Jphubba | November 19, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

From the Weather Channel radar, it looks as if most of the precip will have passed on by kickoff time tonight. Is anyone planning to be at Ludwig?

You can follow November Madness in real time from around the country at this site:

If you click on any given match, you will see links to whatever gametracker, audio, and/or video links are available. For instance, the MD-Loyola game shows an audio link, presumably WUMC.

When distaff November Madness resumes tomorrow, all you have to do is tweak the above URL:

Posted by: universityandpark | November 19, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Any truth to the rumor that Guinness will no longer export to France?

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 19, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the Irish are renaming their fries and dumping French wine in the streets, too.

Posted by: Reignking | November 19, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Also heard that folks in Southie are hosting a Bastille Day celebration this weekend...

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 19, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

La Guerre du Football Part Deux

(pardon my French)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 19, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Any truth to the rumor that Guinness will no longer export to France? Posted by: joedoc1

The French don't deserve Guinness.

Posted by: delantero | November 19, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

JoeW1:

DPs only have to be protected if they have a no-trade clause. Since I have no idea whether that's the case with Emilio, I'm leaving him off the list. I'm not exactly in the "Emilio is terrible" camp, but there's no defending the idea of keeping him around at anything near his current salary.

griffin1108:

I figured Khumalo would be something of an oddball pick. However, I think when you look around MLS you see lots of Khumalo-esque players on good teams. He brings a lot of energy, decent speed, he's not useless, and he's cheap. You could just as easily make the argument for McTavish, but my determining factor was who I'd rather put into a game given the starter above them being unavailable.

Kosh2:

I'd say we should protect them and renegotiate. Moreno and Olsen aren't stupid; they know that at this point in their careers, they'll probably be offered pay cuts anywhere. It might smack of sentiment over proper decision-making, but who else on the roster is worth keeping over ensuring these guys are here for their final seasons?

It could be that I'm still wary of the TFC approach to the expansion draft, and how they held Jason Kreis for ransom after RSL figured no one would take an older player.

jphubba:

Thanks for the sideways insult. I wish it came with a reasonable argument for someone else that would be more deserving of protection.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 20, 2009 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Way to tell him Chest.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 20, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

???? You can't have replay in soccer. Take for instance a player who goes down in the box and the ref's initial response is play on. How do you video review that without marring the game?

I didn't see the game, but as I understand it, France had a case for a penalty that was not given shortly before the controversial goal.

It just happens that way. Personally, I'm in the camp of accepting the referees mistakes. I'd certainly be open to goal line refs. Probably a good idea.

Posted by: Matte | November 20, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse