Montero, Thornton Honored

Forward Fredy Montero, Seattle's leading scorer in the expansion club's debut season with 12 goals, was named MLS newcomer of the year, beating out teammates Kasey Keller and Freddie Ljungberg. (Newcomers are first-year players in the league with prior pro experience.)

Chivas USA goalkeeper Zach Thornton, in his first full season since 2006, was voted comeback player of the year ahead of Chicago's Brian McBride and D.C. United's Ben Olsen. Thornton, 36, led the league in goals against average (0.87) and shutouts (12).

Votes were cast by MLS players, general managers and coaches, and media. On Wednesday, MLS will announce the coach of the year (Arena, Schmid or Warzycha).

Do you agree with today's results?

By Steve Goff  |  November 10, 2009; 1:43 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday Kickaround
Next: Charlie Davies Update

Comments

I think fredy montero should be the example of the foreign players we should be going after for even DP money. He isnt argentine, or brasilian, but has serious talent, there is more gems like him doing well in south america.

Even for DP money we should be going after guys more like him.

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | November 10, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

He's a diver, a whiner and preener. I don't want to see more of his ilk, regardless of talent.

But he deserves the award, there can be little dispute over that.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 10, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Any of the 3 would have been a good choice. Keller was a rock in back, and provided a lot of veteran leadership. Montero provided a lot of excitement. Ljungberg was a great DP signing.

I wish DC United had anyone even remotely deserving of finishing 5th in this 3-man race. Was anyone even eligible? Jacobson? N'Silu?

Posted by: DWE4 | November 10, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I am okay with the diving because if I have learned anything after yesterdays Liverpool Brimingham match its that everyone is a diver.

Yes, we need more Montero type talent. I think a lot of us DC United fans are haters cause we dont have a fast, young, technically gifted striker. We have old, slow, not technically gifted Emilio.

What was McBride even coming back from? A good career in Europe?

Posted by: grubbsbl | November 10, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

DWE4:

Dejan Jakovic. Unfortunately due to DCU's thin defensive corps (so thin they used a 3 man back line for half the season), we haven't seen even half of what he can do.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | November 10, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I HATE MONTERO AND HAS DIVING with a PASSION, but I would give up anyone on our team to bring that little fish to DC

Posted by: Norteno4life | November 10, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Insane that Olsen did not win Comeback player. He was nearly out of the league due to serious health issues. The fact that he is even playing at all is a minor miracle.
As for Thronton, all he needed to do to get back into the league was to stop eating so much.

But I really don't care either way, tbh.

Posted by: forpat | November 10, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Much as I'd have enjoyed Benny winning the comeback player award, it's hard to argue with the year that Fat Zach had.

Posted by: spidergoose | November 10, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Both of today's awards are well-earned, especially the GK award to Thornton. As for Coach of the Year tomorrow, Bruce Arena should win handily, for (a) fixing all the holes in the Galaxy, and (b) getting the stars aligned.

Posted by: BaltoFan | November 10, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Call me a homer, but Olsen's return this year was pretty incredible considering he only played 15 minutes last year.

Montero is a little punk, and I'd rather not have a dishonest little crap pile like him in a team I was supporting.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 10, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Re: "Ljungberg is a chump. If he'd spent his time trying to play instead of shaking his head and griping his way into migraine headaches at the refs the Sounders might have had a chance in the playoffs."

He was instrumental in their carving United's defense like a turkey in the USOC final. He was far more durable than any of the DCU players who are the same age....

Posted by: DWE4 | November 10, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DWE4
**********************

C'mon DWE. You should know DadRyan laid that bait out there for Seattle fans to voice THEIR indignation.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 10, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Duh...
But, since you brought it up I'd say Freddie is an even bigger chump to consider himself above the competition until the final. Reminiscent of some rag doll that had the DP tag last year.
I was at the Open Cup final, and to be honest even when the the Flounders scored, I didn't think we were out of it until 10 seconds later when Wicks got tossed. I wasn't trying to compare Ljungberg's durability to any of United's old guys, but please tell me you didn't already forget about the 8 games DCU played in August and the toll they took on the boys. Seriously. I'm not making any excuses for DC, but I'll be happy to see how "durable" the Scroungers will be over the stretch next year. You can count on it.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 10, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Olsen came back from an injury. Big deal. Lots of players come back from injuries. But the main reason he does not deserve the reward is he cane back and did virtually nothing on the soccer field other than slow the team down. He said himself the team was better without him on the field, and with that I agree 100%. Why he continues as such a sacred cow in this forum I just do not understand.

Posted by: Ron16 | November 10, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

I may come across as an adolescent crack head Ron, but you come across as a blind, crochety, senile coot. You take one little post game quote and make it sound like that's Ben's statement on the season. The guy at least has the balls to take some of the blame for the shortcomings he had a part in this season. Meanwhile the idiot at the helm couldn't do anything but alienate a reserve who made a mistake in champions league and valuable allocation pick up who's done what? Ben Olsen is a sacred cow because he bleeds black and red. Stop insulting people that feel that way and keep Olsen hate to yourself.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 10, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Ahhhh, the silly MLS awards season. I hear next year we shall have The US-born Player Who Has Spent the Most Time Overseas and Returned to Have the Most Assists Award. To be followed in the every-other day announcing of useless trophies by The Most Valuable GreenCard Holding Player From an East Coast Team. Not to be overlooked will be the Guy Cut from One Team to Be Picked Up, Have ONE Great Game and Never Make the Game Day Roster Again Award.

Really when will they get over this silliness? An MVP and a Goalkeeper is enough.

Posted by: marksman37 | November 11, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan, my my, you sure can get riled up.

I didn't base my assessment of Ben Olsen just on his post game quote. I base it on the fact that his overall level of play was a negative for DC United. He was so slow it was just painful to watch him out there. It would have been better if DC United had played someone else in his position. To be a "comeback" player it means you came back and contributed on the field. Ben laudably rehabilitated his injury, but sadly the damage was done and for the most part all he did was slow the team down. You may not like it, but that is reality.

No one disputes he plays with passion and bleeds for the shirt. But you also have to be able to play SOCCER, which Ben showed last season he could non longer do. That is not hate, that is the reality.

Zach Thornton, on the other hand, came back and CONTRIBUTED as a SOCCER PLAYER on the field.

The root problem with DC United is it had too many sacred cows last season. We all know which players they are. Ben Olsen was clearly one of them.

Posted by: Ron16 | November 11, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse