New Deal for Donovan?

The Los Angeles Galaxy is attempting to re-work Landon Donovan's contract in order to secure the services of the 2009 MLS most valuable player for several more years, the Insider has learned.

Donovan's base salary the past three seasons has been $900,000, according to players' union records. Insider contacts say that, under a new pact, he would receive a major pay increase. One source believes Donovan could possibly double his earnings. Under the current contract, the Galaxy holds an option for the 2010 and '11 seasons, presumably at a figure not much larger than his current compensation package.

Breaking the $1 million barrier would be rare for an American in MLS. This season, all four players earning seven-figure base salaries were foreign: David Beckham ($5.5 million), Cuauhtemoc Blanco ($2.8 million), Juan Pablo Angel ($1.5 million) and Freddie Ljungberg ($1.3 million). In 2007, U.S. midfielder Claudio Reyna made just over $1 million for the Red Bulls.

Donovan, the most prolific scorer in national team history who was on loan with Bayern Munich last winter, has been linked with clubs in France, England, Scotland and Mexico. However, with the World Cup approaching, his popularity high, an uncertain transfer market and the fact that he is coming off a superb season, the Galaxy and league apparently believe it's in their best interests to extend their commitment for several years.

We should find out in the coming weeks where these negotiations are headed.

Thoughts?

On a side note, the trade we told you about last week -- goalkeeper Chris Seitz from Real Salt Lake to Philadelphia for allocation money -- is now official.

By Steve Goff  |  November 30, 2009; 4:27 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Kickaround
Next: Tuesday Kickaround

Comments

Salarty cap?

Posted by: torrey151 | November 30, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Good for MLS to keep him; better for the MNT if he plays in Europe full time.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 30, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

. . . assuming he plays and doesn't sit . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | November 30, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Donovan deserves every single penny, year in and year out donovan posts big numbers for the galaxy and the US. I wonder if he will accept?? I think everyone wants Landon to go to europe, but Donovan has to do what he wants to do. He has earned the right to do that, If I was a futballer it would be hard for me to decide. Make 1.8 million and play in my backyard and enjoy my week with my family and friends or got to europe and make 1 million or so more and leave all friends and family behind.

Posted by: Norteno4life | November 30, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

"has been linked with clubs in France, England, Scotland, England and Mexico"

He's so much in demand in the Premiership, that England is listed twice? Or is one of those for a Soda Pop Championship team?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 30, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

haha, "salary cap"...this is the Galaxy we're talking about.

Posted by: HowdyDCU | November 30, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Prediction - LD lays an egg larger than an Ostich's in South Africa.

Posted by: J_S_F | November 30, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Hope Seitz gets some playing time. Still got chills when I saw him warming up against Brazil when Howard was down.

Go Terps!

Posted by: Colm1 | November 30, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Donnovan is worth every penny. It would be a really smart move for the MLS to hang onto one of its marque American players. That said, I am hoping he lands a european offer and can show folks on a larger platform his talent. I'm really hoping for his European success. For what it is worth, I think having homegrown players developing into domestic stars and finding success abroad helps MLS establish a reputation as a quality league. That, in tern, helps MLS compete with some of the midlevel european leagues for talent. And as much as I think Donnovan is worth every penny, I would sort of like to see the MLS devout more resources to retaining the young and developing american players that skip town for plcaes like Norway and other lower level leagues that don't really help them develop as players. (BTW, why are there so many yanks in Ireland? I never ever particularly thought about the Irish league, nor even really knew that they had one until Americans started showing up over there.) I'm all about supporting players who make the move to better leagues (and find playing time) but hate losing young talent to leagues that are equal or inferior to MLS. I know that their often their is a bigger pay day in Norway and I don't begrudge players for making what they can. I just want us to find a way to pay them more here. I guess this speaks to increasing the salary cap and raising the mid level salaries. Lets do that instead of adding yet another DP, which has been rumored.

Posted by: nyjer1 | November 30, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I hope he goes to Europe. I love the MLS and his loss would be a hit to the league, but more time in Europe will help the Nats, whom I also love.

Any news on a loan for this winter? Or does that only happen once he commits to another season with the Gals?

Posted by: WorldCup | November 30, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

It's not my money -- Keep him here!!!

Posted by: mbyrd28 | November 30, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Prediction - LD lays an egg larger than an Ostich's in South Africa.

Posted by: J_S_F

Like his missed pen in the MLS Cup? I really hope that was him just getting that kind of crap out of his system. I know everyone misses sometime, but that was full on LANDYCAKES fodder at it's finest. Never thought I'd type that word again.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 30, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Also, I'd rather him keep working in a starting XI. If Europe, or Mexico, or whoever can't offer that, forget about it.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 30, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

_____________________________________________

Yeah, I agree. There's no gain for Donovan in going back to Europe and riding the pine again, like he did last off-season with Bayern Munich. Basically, our field players simply don't get much respect over there. Only, Gooch has signed with a big team and he mainly sat for A.C. Milan before he got injured last fall.

Posted by: Stevenho | November 30, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Dempsy. Bradly. Boca. Churundulo.Davies (before his injury). Feinhaber. Those are all field players that quickly come to my mind getting playing in top tier and second tier leauges. Cassey, Specter DeMarit are three more that just popped into my head. That is real progress from the days when we really only hadReyna and Harkes. That is all to say that there has been postive movement for americans playing in Europe. But I agree, they really do have to prove themselves because there are so many naysayers about the quality of American field players. I think Donnovan clearly has the talent to be a regular player in Europe. Maybe not for Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man United, Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Bayern Munich or the top top clubs. But there are a lot of good quality sides in Europe who are not the world powers of club football.

Posted by: nyjer1 | November 30, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stevenho | November 30, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I would argue that the leading scorer on the 10th team in the premiership who plays 90 in almost every game deserves a little respect...not to mention he was listed as one of the top three players of the confed cup, just behind Kaka and Fabiano.

Lets also not forget about his former teammate McBride.

Posted by: Southeasterner | November 30, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I hope he goes to Europe. How about a mid table team somewhere...example Dempsey at Fulham or Bradley at Borussia Mönchengladbach . He probably shouldn't go to a team like Bayern or another large club because of the added talent and pressure. I think he will show his worth in Europe if he goes to a medium size club.

Posted by: wrightcor | November 30, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Prediction - LD lays an egg larger than an Ostich's in South Africa.

Posted by: J_S_F | November 30, 2009 4:55 PM

I think we'll have a pretty poor team behind them - but "fans" will probably blame Donovan and Jozy.

I think that 1.8 million will be money well spent for the Galaxy - and graciously accepted by Donovan. I think he knows that playing abroad just isn't his thing, but can certainly help the league here.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 30, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

If he's an American player trying to go overseas he needs to sign with Athletika Aangstrom in the 2nd tier of the OompaLoompaLigaen.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 30, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

I agree with everyone else making sense

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 30, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I agree with everyone else making sense

What if they stop doing so?

Posted by: BillUrban | November 30, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Go be man in Europe and aviod the strike/lockout...that be go WC prep.

Posted by: euroman | November 30, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Donovan in Mexico. That would be a sight.

Posted by: rademaar | November 30, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

On another topic...

Rochester is jumping to NASL 2010. That will make them a 10 team loop, at least for now.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | November 30, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Salary cap? Isn't he an actual DP now?

Posted by: sitruc | November 30, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Dennis Hamlett is out as the Fire coach.
Bring him back home to coach DC United !!!!

Posted by: Redskins2881 | November 30, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

"In 2007, U.S. midfielder Claudio Reyna made just over $1 million for the Red Bulls."

Whoever paid him that money was on crack.

Posted by: GeneWells | November 30, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SportzNut21 | November 30, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh, so now 2 teams miss the playoffs!

j/k...I think

Posted by: LAfanofSI | November 30, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Whoever paid him that money was on crack.

Posted by: GeneWells | November 30, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Incidentally the secret ingredient in Red Bull energy drink is crack.

Posted by: douglasquaid | November 30, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Landon, you are better than the MLS. The other players on the team make you look bad. Move abroad or suffer for the rest of your career. The time is now.

Posted by: adamsunited | November 30, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Since Donovan speaks Spanish and has expressed interest in playing there it is surprising that the only Spanish-speaking league showing interest is Mexico.

Posted by: b18bolo | November 30, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Suffering might be overegging the pudding.

It's $1.8 million to live in his desired home town and chase service from Beckham.

We should all suffer that way...

Posted by: JkR- | November 30, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Dennis Hamlett is out as the Fire coach.
Bring him back home to coach DC United !!!!

Posted by: Redskins2881 | November 30, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Let him go!

Posted by: arswift24 | November 30, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Part of the new deal will be penalty kick lessons...let him go...

Posted by: LCR-54 | December 1, 2009 7:11 AM | Report abuse

Are there no DP issues associated with such a signing?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | December 1, 2009 7:35 AM | Report abuse

"Donovan, the most prolific scorer in national team history who was on loan with Bayern Munich last winter, has been linked with clubs in France, England, Scotland and Mexico."

That sentence needs another comma (at least). Unless there are more prolific scorers in national team history who just didn't happen to be playing for Bayern Munich last year.

Posted by: j_doe | December 1, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

They need to sign him for a gazillion dollars and then get a mungo transfer fee to use to actually pay the guys who are the heart of the league who don't make enough to pay rent. (Whoa; long sentence.)

Hopefully Donovan goes somewhere where he'll play. He needs to stop pretending he's going to start at the really big clubs and go to a smaller club in the top flight. Dempsey doesn't seem like the brightest bulb in the world, but he sure has the right idea in playing at Fulham.

Ah well. So I heard the US is going to be seeded on Friday.....

Posted by: hacksaw | December 1, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse