Olsen's Retirement

Ben Olsen's news conference announcing his retirement today at RFK Stadium is closed to the public, but live streaming video will be available beginning at 2:30 p.m. ET on D.C. United's Web site.

Tonight at Verizon Center, the Washington Wizards will salute Olsen -- a big hoops fan -- at the end of the third quarter. In honor of No. 14, tickets to the Wizards-76ers game are available for $14.

When news of Olsen's retirement began to circulate, I received an e-mail from Dave Brown, chair and secretary for the South West & M5 branch of the Nottingham Forest Supporters Club in England. (Olsen was on loan at Forest in 2000-01.) "He is and will always remain a part of Nottingham Forest," Brown wrote, "and we are proud to associate his name with us. Wonderful memories, Benny!"

The Screaming Eagles pay tribute.

Here's a flashback to 2008 with Dan Steinberg's touching video on Olsen's return against the Galaxy:

By Steve Goff  |  November 24, 2009; 11:12 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday Kickaround
Next: Olsen Retirement Is Official

Comments

May there be a prominent future for Ben Olsen with DC United and US Soccer!

Thanks for all you've done for both entities in your career as a player. Your fiery runs up the flanks, celebrating MLS Cups in 1999 and 2004. Seeing your passion on the field and your appreciation of all the supporters. And achieving the greatest honor of all, representing your country in the 2006 World Cup.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | November 24, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

The Heart of a Lion photo from Saturday's thread is set as backround on my desktop.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | November 24, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Benny should run for DC Shadow Senator while also coaching DCU and possibly even defeat hunger worldwide.

Posted by: rockotodd | November 24, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Very nice gesture on the part of the Wizards. Good luck Ben!

Posted by: croftonpost | November 24, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Crofton. A win-win all the way around. A United relationship with the Wizards and Capitals makes a lot of sense -- and vice versa. I know of several fans who go to United and Wizards/Capitals games. Great stuff.

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 24, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rockotodd | November 24, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

I heard he was the crucial vote to avoiding a filibuster on health care reform.

Posted by: beach3 | November 24, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

This is love, this is family, this is PASSION. Man, I love this sport!!

Thank you Ben Olsen. Thank you so much for everything. Everything that you have done for us - your fans, your club and your country.

Posted by: Kosh2 | November 24, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

My allergies started messing up watching the Bog Show...

Posted by: sitruc | November 24, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

#14 - A pillar of the DC House!!!

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | November 24, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Dude F the Wizards. 60 minutes left to plead insanity.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | November 24, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

That's the summer I spent in DC for an internship. I was at that game, and though I'm an LA fan, even I stood up to join in the standing ovation when Benny Olsen came in. It's times like these where I would want a testimonial match to happen. DC vs Nottingham Forest anyone?

Posted by: elrene017 | November 24, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Off-Topic

Why does Max Bretos and the rest of the FSC studio crew sound like they are talking in their parents basement? I know it's a low budget operation, but do they really stand to upgrade soon provided that their shift to a rated product recently and future addition of HD has actually expanded their revenue generation?

Ugh - love/hate relationship for sure.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | November 24, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Insider says presser is 2:30pm, DCU.com says 3pm...maybe it was delayed because Benny has changed his mind and will now announce he is coming back next year as a player and MLS Commissioner?

Posted by: rockotodd | November 24, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Benny. You played the game the way it's meant to be played, and you'll be sorely missed.

Posted by: RIP-21 | November 24, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I thought I heard 3 on The Fan as well, rockotodd.

Posted by: sitruc | November 24, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

2:30 is the pre-press conference show
3:00 is the press conference.

Now back to you Max and Christopher.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 24, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

dcunited.com says that live coverage begins at 2:30...maybe the actual presser is at 3pm though.

Posted by: combedge | November 24, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

The pre-presser show seems to involve just showing the table and podium....I would have thought Bob Costas could have been brought in

Posted by: rockotodd | November 24, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

As a Columbus Crew supporter, I have always envied the love and admiration that DC has shown towards Benny. We have GBS and Frankie that we shower with love but it's pale in comparison to what Benny gets. When I hear DC United I picture Benny. He's that ingrained into the club. The guy has a heart bigger than Texas. But don't let that fool you, he's more than that. He's a pretty damn skilled player. I solute and raise my glass to Benny. He has meant so much to DCU, MLS, and US Soccer. I have no doubt he will continue to impact the game in some new role. Long live his legacy!

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | November 24, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Apparently not everyone in the team's press office got the memo on the 3PM start. Already several press releases address his retirement and thoughts form past coaches.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 24, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

United.

Posted by: redskinsux | November 24, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

We're getting close, reporters have started to shuffle in.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 24, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

A short video highlight video has been posted

Posted by: emanon13 | November 24, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

audio has started!

Posted by: rockotodd | November 24, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Well I have to admit in my frustration over losing I said that DC should have cut Benny, and other such intemperate things. I was wrong to have said that. Ben Olsen loves soccer, the greatest sport on earth, and he loves DC United, the greatest and most decorated soccer club in the history of the United States. He fought for the shirt to the very end. That he wanted to give more than his all to both is to be lauded.

Ben Olsen assumed the soul of DC United upon the retirement of one Marco Etcheverry. It will be interesting to see which player takes it up in his stead.

Posted by: Ron16 | November 24, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else have difficulty accessing the $14 Wizards tickets?

Posted by: MBUSA | November 24, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Fenty declared it Ben Olsen day today in the district!!!

Posted by: rockotodd | November 24, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Ticketmaster and promotions normally end a few hours before the event, MBUSA.

Posted by: sitruc | November 24, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing the Wizards tribute to Olsen will be a collateral casualty of the death of the team's owner.

Posted by: fischy | November 24, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse