Philadelphia Selects.....

F Nick Zimmerman (New York) 22
F Sebastien Le Toux (Seattle) 25
MF Shea Salinas (San Jose) 23
MF Stefani Miglioranzi (Los Angeles) 32
D Dave Myrie (Chicago) 21
D Jordan Harvey (Colorado) 25

Five clubs escaped without losing anyone: Real Salt Lake, Dallas, Toronto, Houston and Kansas City.

As reported earlier on the Insider's Twitter feed, sources tell me that Union has acquired goalkeeper Chris Seitz from RSL for allocation money and the promise not to select any of its players in the expansion draft. Seitz, the fourth overall pick from Maryland in the 2007 draft and a member of the Olympic squad in China last year, is one of American soccer's most promising young goalkeepers but has been unable to secure regular playing time in competition with veteran Nick Rimando, MVP of MLS Cup on Sunday.

Jacobson was chosen by United in the 2008 college/amateur/super draft but chose to sign with Lorient in France. He joined DCU this year and made 17 league appearances (eight starts) with no goals or assists, plus nine non-league games that included a goal in the U.S. Open Cup.

By Steve Goff  |  November 25, 2009; 3:12 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday Kickaround
Next: Thanksgiving Kickaround

Comments

This opens up the door for Szetela in central midfield. Hope he can keep his head screwed on straight.

Posted by: the_slammer | November 25, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Jacobson is a loss ... but not terrible. Hope he does well in Philadelphia.

Posted by: Curious99 | November 25, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

It was inevitable they would pick Jacobson up. Look at the guy's pedigree compared with the rest of the youngsters on the expansion list. Fred should have been on there so they wouldn't have picked anyone else on the team. Salinas is a good pick but surprised they passed on Sanna Nyassi and Stephen King. Le Toux is slow.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | November 25, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

The Daily News was 1 for 10 on their predictions.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 25, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Are we sure Knighton's not 14?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 25, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I'd have kept Jacobson in lieu of Fred.

Posted by: RRP1 | November 25, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

So much for the presumed homecoming of Albright, Convey, Benny, Will Smith, Bill Cosby, Hall, and Oates.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 25, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Not a bad group of picks from Philly. If Thomas keeps himself fit (being in poor shape got him sent down the hall when the Galaxy waived him), he's a reasonable starting center back. Harvey and Miglioranzi are also guys that can jump in and be starters on competitive teams. Moreno will be a good pickup if, and only if, Philly's other forward is very skillful and creative. Moreno is a good foil, but he can't be the guy your hopes hang on. Getting Seitz is probably also a good move. Nowak knows Seitz from the Olympic team, and he's a guy that would be starting on several different MLS clubs.

The rest of the guys will probably be reserves or in a fight to even make the team. Zimmerman is a promising player, but I think Salinas might be more Nowak's type (he reminds me of a poor man's Josh Gros, actually). Jacobson should be able to make the team comfortably and get regular minutes. Le Toux will probably be Philly's first man off the bench, and could contend for a starting job.

Myrie's obviously the mystery man. If I'm not mistaken, he never actually got into an MLS game for Chicago (though he was on the bench in the playoffs).

From a DC perspective, losing Jacobson isn't that big of a deal. He's a promising player, sure, but he wasn't going to start and clearly has some developing to do (especially in terms of giving away needless fouls). Plus, if Barklage hadn't gotten hurt, I wouldn't have been surprised to see him get more appearances (due to his versatility). Barklage can play a couple different positions, but I liked him centrally as something of an all-action, box-to-box kind of guy. Hopefully his rehab is moving along well.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 25, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Great start Peter, looks like you won't win a match next year. Does he even follow MLS?? I assume he plans to build via the wavier wire, dp's, allocation $ and the college draft. Appears he wants to start like Chivas & RSL and not the Seattle model.

Posted by: euroman | November 25, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

====================

Yeah, like ours. And as far as we know Seitz is not whack.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 25, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I love how Philly throws allocation $ and a promise to RSL for Seitz....when we have been trying to get the guy forever. Didn't we offer Burch & allocation $ for him and they turned us down??? Does that say a whole lot about Burch...who we protected even!!!

Posted by: voetbol07 | November 25, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Everton has a player named Jack Rodwell.

I'll let someone else drop the punchline.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 25, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I think this is a good start, but some of the picks make you think that the other shoe hasn't dropped yet and Nowak has something else lined up:

Knighton - Of the available players for NE, he's at the bottom of the list in terms of desirability. I think that this was contingent on doing another deal with NE, perhaps with Larentowicz heading back home to Philly.

LeToux - Really puzzling to me. There were better options on Seattle's list. Perhaps this was done as an accomodation for Seattle where the rights to Parke will be shipped to Philly for some $ or a pick.

Posted by: Phil_McCracken | November 25, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Losing Jacobson is no loss. The guy failed to track Shalrie Joseph out of the midfield into our 18, and allowed him to score TWICE, in TWO different games.

Aside from a strong shot from distance (which never seemed to challenge any keeper), he failed to impress me in extended minutes.

Posted by: delantero | November 25, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

JacobfromAtlanta-ish,

Have you not heard of Rodwell? The kid is quite a player! Will be one of the better box-to-box CMs in England soon.

Posted by: voetbol07 | November 25, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Or does it say something about RSL's "lets wait and see how Nicky does this year" mentality? Rimando has got to be the man of the hour in Utah these days eh?

Posted by: DadRyan | November 25, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I had not heard of him. He was playing as well as anyone else in Everton's midfield until an apparent muscle strain pulled him out.

Hull went in to the half up 3-0, and after an own goal and a penalty (both given up by the same player), it's only 3-2 in the 68th. Jozy has not scored, but has played quite well.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 25, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Dude, it's rush hour, my comment was in regard to voetbol07's comment at 3:54...

Posted by: DadRyan | November 25, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Rimando has got to be the man of the hour in Utah these days eh?

Posted by: DadRyan | November 25, 2009 4:08 PM

Yes, I'm sure he has his choice of free drinks and wives. I mean, women.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 25, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Who doesn't want to see Jozy slip one past Timay?

Posted by: DadRyan | November 25, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Glad McTavish is staying, if only because it means he'll be close to his family. (Dad's sick & been in and out of hospital...)

Posted by: Dynaformer | November 25, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

So much for predictions. The Philly preview from yesterday got them all wrong too .. .

Nowak got a solid corps today, and it will be interesting to see how he fills in the rest.

Posted by: delantero | November 25, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Back to Champion's League.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 25, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Altidore off for Vannegor of Hesselink. No goal, but a standing ovation from the fans and a verbal one from the commentators. I'd give him a 7-8 from what I saw

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 25, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I thought Josie was fading as the match progressed. I thought that he was quite lively and dangerous early; but he still cost Hull a few opportunities by making less than sterling runs that closed passing lanes rather than opening them.

Still, good run out by him.

Posted by: JkR- | November 25, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

"... until an apparent muscle strain pulled [Rodwell} out"

Obviously a groin muscle.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 25, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Dempsey scored for Fulham, up 2-0 in the 67th

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 25, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

If Vannegor of Hesselink marries Ruud's sister and she hyphenates, she would be
Mrs. Vannegor of Hesselink-van Nistlerooy.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 25, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Not sad to see Jacobson go. Had he actually scored on one of those long range shots, I might have.

How low has Convey fallen from being a World Cup starter and premier league talisman to not being chosen in an expansion draft by his home city!

Posted by: UnitedDemon | November 25, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Bobby Convey's value is rapidly dropping to the Box of Cheerios level.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 25, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'm surprised. I only had Moreno, Zimmerman and Salinas as likely picks. I was a little leery of losing Jacobson, as he might yet develop into a good player. I thought that there were better picks from LA and Seattle than Le Toux and Miglioranzi. I don't understand taking Harvey instead of Ballouchey, but I guess the preferred Miglioranzi to Mehdi, so it would be duplicative to have them both. I know nothing about Myrie, but I assume Nowak does.

Could be a good core -- mostly young players with upside, which makes the Miglioranzi pick stand out as even more puzzling. Still, there are a few players that I would be thrilled to see on DCU. Hope the DCU FO is up to the challenge, because the Union will be in the hunt.

Posted by: fischy | November 25, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I vote everyone learn all the celebrations before their next indoor season.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 25, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Well, the first time wasn't perfect. I'll keep trying. Dempsey scores again in the 88th, Fulham up 3-0 on Blackburn

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 25, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

"Bobby Convey's value is rapidly dropping to the Box of Cheerios level."--270

Cheerios charges premium prices for their quality, cholesterol lowering cereal. In the realm of cereal products they are worth quite a bit...

Posted by: redskinsux | November 25, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Convey and Nowak have a history. Maybe Bobby's grown since he played here, but I'm not sure Nowak would take the chance. What I heard at the DCU golf event a few years ago, when Peter and Tommy came in to take over DCU they interviewed all the players. The first thing Convey said when he sat down was "I don't work hard in practice - I want to save my energy for the game." Obviously, that kind of attitude didn't mesh with Nowak and Soehn. Doubtful that Convey will ever play for either one of them.

Posted by: soyinocente1 | November 25, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Are we sure Knighton's not 14?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish

This has not yet been verified. I'm leaning towards no, however.

Posted by: kdiff813 | November 25, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

"Bobby Convey's value is rapidly dropping to the Box of Cheerios level."--270

Posted by: redskinsux

LOL!

Touche.

Posted by: kdiff813 | November 25, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

For the record, Cheeriosesses' cholesterol lowering ability should be subject to the U.S. Preventative Services Task Force. I doubt their claims that a processed box of grain is better than your regular old oat bran or Muesli.

Posted by: delantero | November 25, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

I did not have Cheerios this morning, but a couple of doughnuts and frosted cinnamon rolls.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Now it's back to the parade on tv...

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | November 26, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Ooolala! I can watch Cleront-Ferrand instead of some of these awful NFL games. Go Team Michelin

Posted by: Reignking | November 26, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

MLS reports that RSL picked up Abe Thompson in something called the waiver draft. He was the only one selected among 11 players waived yesterday. DCU said "thanks for the memories" to Greg Janicki (they weren't all bad memories) and Ely Allen (we hardly knew ya).

Posted by: fischy | November 26, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse