Poll: MLS Cup

By Steve Goff  |  November 11, 2009; 10:31 AM ET
Categories:  MLS , Poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday Kickaround
Next: Ready, Set, Score

Comments

It'll be good for the league to have two major markets like Chicago and LA in the final. I also think that will be an entertaining match.

RSL vs Houston? Bleh.

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 11, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Who cares, I just can't wait for another opportunity to bask in the glory of the crowd at Qwest! Will they be unfurling their attendance champions banner at half time?

Posted by: DadRyan | November 11, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

LA v Chicago will fill the stadium. Attendance at MLS Cups held in gridiron stadiums has been pretty good. The only exception is 1996, when only 34K attended (received tickets, whatever)

RSL is no good at sea level (2-11-2). It's really weird how the home and away records of the mountain teams are reversed. Either the heavy atmosphere compresses their lungs and constricts their blood vessels or they're just not that good.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 11, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I don't see anybody beating houston. They're so well organized. I really thought the winner of the houston - seattle series was going to win it all, and I still think that. And I don't see RSL getting past Chicago.

Posted by: Matte | November 11, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

happy veterans day fellas.

on topic, i'm just hoping for either western team to win it. or rsl. anyone but chicago apparently... perhaps kovalenko and blanco could each get red-carded fouling each other.

Posted by: troy6 | November 11, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

i like the lincoln quote, 270. i was expecting the st. crispin's speech, but the address is better.

Posted by: troy6 | November 11, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Barring a catastrophic outing from Chicago - The Fire are the east's entrant into MLS Cup. The team has good form right now and RSL caught Columbus pulling a DC United in the first round (too soon?).

The west is tougher to figure out. You can make an argument that both are good teams right now and both will have what it takes to advance and compete for the Cup. Emotionally, I feel one reacts and says that Houston is the better/more deserving side because they don't have Landon or Beckham. But if you remove those two guys from your opinion of the sides - LA is not a bad team. They have the solid contributions from all over the field and the necessary tools to succeed. This is tough as Houston will be on the road in a one-off game. I can't speak to their results at LAG over the last few years (and let's be honest - LAG wasn't exactly the same team in 06, 07, and 08 that it is right now). It's a pick 'em. LA is the Don Garber/ESPN wet dream. Houston is the pick of the fan that wants to see disappointment handed to the Galaxy/Beckham/Donovan.

Either way - LA or Houston winning it gives them one title less than DC. And Chicago winning gives the cup to Senor White.

So the complete Homer DC pick is to see Real Salt Lake over achieve, win the Cup, but in the meantime destroy TV Ratings, casual fan interest, and make a mockery of "The Playoffs".

I can't win!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | November 11, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Don't count Real or Houston out. Good teams.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | November 11, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

The two teams left that I don't hare are RSL and Houston. So I guess I pull for them. The league has the "fix" on for the Blanco (POS) vs. Beckham final.
On a side note..during the Revs/Fire game Heaps was defending Blanco...I was confused as to whom and what to root for...

Posted by: boda-united | November 11, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

The two teams that I don't CARE FOR...

Posted by: boda-united | November 11, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

ESPN and MLS need Blanco and Beckham in the final.

Is the final going to be played on turf with football lines?

Posted by: delantero | November 11, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't mind seeing a LAv. Chi-town throw down in the final dance. For me at this point my hatred for teams takes a back seat and I become a full-time fan of the league. I want to see an exciting game with a packed stadium resulting in stellar ratings (that's why Seattle was my sentimental pick). At this point it does not matter who wins it, as it won't be DC so I'm all in for the good of the league.

I voted RSL-Houston though. RSL is from a small market, but they played some exciting stuff against C-Bus last week - hard to vote against exciting soccer. I went with Houston, because, let's face it they are Houston - the most consistent club in MLS this side of the DC United teams of yesteryear.

But like VBB said, LA is not a bad team by any stretch of the imagination and if Beckham can keep serving those kind of mouth watering passes/crosses that find Donovan on the back end, well then its..."Houston, we've got a problem." Plus the Fire fans really brought the heat last week (yes pun intended, but I can never outdo you 270) and lifted that team. They did the league proud.

Posted by: Kosh2 | November 11, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

delantero, it will be played on turf. It will not have football lines.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | November 11, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse