Poll: MLS Cup

By Steve Goff  |  November 16, 2009; 11:23 AM ET
Categories:  MLS , Poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Kickaround
Next: MLS's Best XI

Comments

LA will have a hard time with RSL's ability to counterattack .. ..

Maybe a 2-1 match??

RSL is probably the one side LA didn't want to face right now .. ..

Posted by: Samminish | November 16, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

for "The league's sake" I think Galaxy winning would be best because pictures of Beckham holding the Cup would probably be more popular than say Clint Mathis holding the cup

that said I think RSL is dangerous and you have to pull for a Crofton kid

Posted by: PineyO1 | November 16, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

*Crofton MD yes, and also Potomac SC -- a new term occurred to me Saturday night -- Beckerman opened up Nyarko's brow with a dred-butt

*Kovalenko draws straight red at 53' with score 1-1; final RSL 3; Gals 1

Posted by: OWNTF | November 16, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Idle thought -- how may goals do you think McBride could score in 1 MLS season if he, Donovan and Beckham played every game together for the Galaxy.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 16, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Galaxy 2-0 RSL. LA will be gifted with a free kick just outside the area, which Beckham will convert for a goal (think 2007 SuperLiga vs. DCU); then a Galaxy player will be fouled (questionably) inside the area for a PK, which Donovan will score. MLS gets its desired photo-op result: Beckham and Donovan holding up the cup.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | November 16, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

based on playoff performances, I expect RSl to pull it out.

Posted by: Norteno4life | November 16, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Hat trick, Edson Buddle.

He hasn't had one yet this year.

Posted by: Reignking | November 16, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

"Beckham and Donovan holding up the cup."

And Grant Wahl gets a slam-dunk epilogue for the next edition of his book (in stores in time for the World Cup!).

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | November 16, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I hope, hope, hope it is RSL. I could enjoy it a bit for Garth and Nicky.
LA is a joke, I hate that team. The media disdain that will follow an LA win will be horrible. I predict most outlets that carry any news will only do so because of Beckham and will claim that without him LA would suck and that professional soccer would have already ended without him coming here, but now it will wait to end until he goes back to Europe.

The best thing for MLS would be an RSL win, especially since right now their bread and butter is expansion. I know the MLS Brass do not see it this way, but they get excited way too easily by "press".

Posted by: dcufan | November 16, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

so Galaxy holding the Cup is plan A or B for Garber.

I smell a dirty rat.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | November 16, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Yup Garber will mortgage the league's credibility and legitimacy and push for the LA fix. Huh, now I know why I could not find tin foil anywhere this week end.

I voted RSL to win it all. They are playing the best football of the lot just now. Either way, I hope it's as great a game as much of the playoff games have been. Oh an no more black-outs, PLEASE!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | November 16, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "rat"?!

"Out on the streets, that's where we'll meet
You make the night, I always cross the line
Tightened our belts, abuse ourselves
Get in our way, we'll put you on your shelf
Another day, some other way
We're gonna go, but then we'll see you again
I've had enough, we've had enough
Cold in vain, she said

I knew right from the beginning
That you would end up winnin'
I knew right from the start
You'd put an arrow through my heart..."

RATT, "Round and Round," circa 1985

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 16, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Well, if the Houston-LA game was any indication, expect a Findley goal called back on a terrible offsides call, and for the Galaxy to win it 2-0 of a PK and a scrappy goal off a cross.

Posted by: Cidolfas | November 16, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Houston is much better than RSL, so I'm predicting an easier 3-1 LA victory. Goals by Donovan, Buddle, Eddie Lewis; Movsisyan.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | November 16, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

All the pressure is on LA here. RSL has achieved way beyond what anyone expected (including probably, themselves), so they can play with nothing to lose. LA is expected to win, but Bruce will have them well prepared, and they've got a lot more players with big game experience. I'd say LA 2-1 in overtime.

Posted by: Kenobi | November 16, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

A much more interesting poll would be:

Will anyone (please, for the love of all that is holy) score a goal from the run of play?

Will anyone score at all in the first 90 minutes?

Based on the MLS playoffs thus far, I'm going with "no".

Posted by: timogden | November 16, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I think RSL has been overachieving already way too much in the playoffs, remember this team only managed to sneak in with 40 points over the course of the regular season. I would expect a final very similar to last year's- 3-1 LA.

Posted by: rademaar | November 16, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

JD it was really more like 84...
I remember somehow convincing my parents to buy me an Out of the Cellar t shirt that year... I thought I was bad @$$! :)

Posted by: DadRyan | November 16, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Meh. HDNet's picture for the live shuttle launch is amazing. t - 5:30

Posted by: sitruc | November 16, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Real Salt Lake all the way. To heck with the league.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | November 16, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I think RSL will win the first leg at home, but give up 3 goals in the return leg and lose on aggregate score.

What? Oh. Nevermind.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 16, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

what's wrong with mathis holding the cup? he'll probably fill it with PBR, but that's just another opportunity for product placement advertising (imagine a brewer sponsoring a salt lake team).

switching topics, that Ratt song reminded me that the drummer's son is qb for the terps. those lyrics make particular sense if you could imagine him singing them to virginia tech...

Posted by: troy6 | November 16, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love HDNet programming... a live NASA shuttle launch followed by bikini models in Panama. I wish MLS was still on that channel.

Posted by: sitruc | November 16, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

what's wrong with mathis holding the cup?

Posted by: troy6

Isn't that what got him into trouble in Germany?

Posted by: Reignking | November 16, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

:-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 16, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "cup"?

"Got this dance that's more than real
Drink Brass Monkey here's how you feel
You put your left leg down your right leg up
Tilt your head back let's finish the cup
MCA with the bottle D. rocks the can
Adrock gets nice with Charlie Chan
We're offered Moet we don't mind Chivas
Wherever we go we bring the Monkey with us
Adrock drinks three Mike D. is D.
Double R. foots the bill most definitely
I drink Brass Monkey and I rock well
I got a Castle in Brooklyn that's where I dwell!"

Q: Are the Beasties Chivas de G fans or Chivas USA fans? Analyze and discuss.

Posted by: edgeonyou | November 16, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Heart says RSL, although Mr Posh and the Landycakes would be the smart choice, if you are betting.

Posted by: Liverbird | November 17, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse