Preki Out, MLS Ticket Update

*We've been anticipating this announcement for weeks, and today it was made: Preki is done as Chivas USA coach after three seasons, a 40-29-21 regular season record, 0-3-3 playoff mark and 2007 coach of the year honor. Chivas was pleased with his soccer knowledge and passion, not so thrilled about his clubhouse management.

What's next for Preki? He might become a candidate for the openings in Toronto, New York or D.C. or the possible vacancy in Chicago. He could wait for Vancouver or Portland to join MLS in 2011 or perhaps join old friend Bob Bradley as an assistant with the U.S. national team leading to the World Cup.

*Only a handful of scattered seats are available for next Sunday's MLS Cup under the current soccer capacity of about 35,800 at Seattle's Qwest Field. (Tickets for supporters of the participating clubs have been set aside.) However, a surge in interest based on the conference winners would prompt organizers to consider opening additional sections. Essentially, if Beckham and the Galaxy advance (or, to a smaller extent, Blanco and the Fire), expect additional tickets to be made available.

Largest attendance for MLS Cups not involving the local club:
1998: 51,350 at Rose Bowl (DCU-Chicago)
1999: 44,910 at Foxborough Stadium (DCU-LA)
2007: 39,859 at RFK Stadium (NE-Houston)
*Six Cups have been held at medium-sized, soccer-specific venues

By Steve Goff  |  November 12, 2009; 6:08 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV Listings
Next: Friday Kickaround

Comments

Wondering about Preki. Is he maybe a little whack? The way he went after Kovalenko?

"But it's the pelvic thrust
That really drives you insane
Let's do the Dema again"

Posted by: OWNTF | November 12, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

What exactly do you mean by "... but not so thrilled about his clubhouse management and interaction with players." ?

(I'm not up on the clubhouse smack talk)

Posted by: paj18 | November 12, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Another opportunity for me to call call BS on the Scroungers front office "engineering" a never ending sell out run at Qwest. I've heard some fans tore up their tickets when the club failed to get past Houston.

My feeling on Preki is that he will not want to coach DCU the way Payne wants him too, and his whack attitude would do more harm than good. I like the idea of a tough coach, but not a total guy that's got problems like our whack keeper Wicks...

Posted by: DadRyan | November 12, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

DCU needs to break the mold. Too many coaches are linked to the same circle of experience. We need fresh coaching blood. I know there is a call to know the "MLS"....but DCU should lead the league into new frontiers of coaching. GO DCU!!!

Posted by: tyobrien1 | November 12, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Payne wants him to.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 12, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

If Preki got into a fight with Wicks, would it be whack on whack violence?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 12, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

those numbers don't match up with what's listed on the MLS site where the highest attendance is listed as:
2002 LA v NE = 61,316;
1997 DC v Colorado = 57,431 (at RFK);
1998 DC v CHI = 51,350;
1999 DC v LA = 44,910

Posted by: ff-5 | November 12, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Steve wrote "Largest attendance for MLS Cups not involving the local club."

The emphasis is mine.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 12, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

... but you're right about 1998-99, my bad.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 12, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Preki. Get him. He's great defensively, and he could take time to retool.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | November 12, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan - You mean they cut up their spazzy scarfs?

Posted by: edgeonyou | November 12, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Gee- another chance to call BS on DadRyan.

Wish he could make up believable fiction, but his hate just keeps his nose growing.

There are two sets of Sounders fans- those going to the MLS Cup, regardless of who is there, and those looking to make some money off of the fans of those teams who win this weekend. No one in Puget Sound country is dumb enough to tear up money- we leave that to D.C....

Posted by: captainwierd | November 12, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Looked to me like Preki was trying to restrain one of his assistants. I'm not certain he went after anyone.

I expect Preki to seek a position with USMNT. He and they could do worse.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | November 12, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Seattle soccer fans with tickets should go to the game even if it's just to sing 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall.

I went to the MLS Cups at RFK involving KC vs Chicago and Hoston vs NE. Would have been much more emotionally involved if DC United had been playing but it's still worthwhile to personally witness a championship of the sport I most closely follow.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 12, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

LOL captainKOOK. I was under the impression you guys were done paying attention to soccer now that your crybaby, head shaking, whining about the refs while earning red cards yourselves club was out. You've earned a big ol' golf clap from me for giving us your full 90. Good luck trying to strike it rich selling off your tickets. You guys sure do have a knack for showing your hospitality and earning a reputation for your modesty...

No one is dumb enough to tear up money in Puget Sound? No doubt, ya gotta save every penny to support those meth habits.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 12, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

nothing was sweeter last week than having the sounders get eliminated...

Posted by: Norteno4life | November 12, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Preki with DCU. We could certainly do worse

Posted by: diego_r | November 13, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

"No one in Puget Sound country is dumb enough to tear up money- we leave that to D.C."

I don't care who you are, that's funny.

@DadRyan: after all of the rain we've had here in DC, DR, I can see why long-time Seattle residents are going the way of Agassi and giving crystal meth a go. Man, this rain is awfully depressing.

I'm so down right now, I even thought I-270s "whack on whack" crack was funny.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | November 13, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Atlanta doesn't want to hear about your 2 days of rain. Cry me a Potomac.

Posted by: Reignking | November 13, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps we're cranky because we have post-seasonal affective disorder for the 2d post-season in a row.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 13, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Reignking -- "Cry me a Potomac!!" Now that is funny!!. I'm heading down to the ATL for Thanksgiving. I can bring you some of the Potomac if you would like!!

Posted by: torrey151 | November 13, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Guys, I've found a new player for DCU. He plays for the Deportivo la Coruna B team.

He is...Nacho Matador.

Posted by: Reignking | November 13, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Call me dim or whatever, but can someone explain when, and where DC tore up money? I thought they just misappropriated funds, smoked crack with hookers, and illegally rode their bicycles on the Clara Barton Parkway with a police escort...

Posted by: DadRyan | November 13, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Need help.

Where to see Setanta games in Montgomery Co?
Or DC, Arlington for that matter?

Thanks.

Posted by: goldenpack | November 13, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

DC tore up money with Gallardo and, arguably, Emilio and Gomez. At some point, every MLS team, every sports team, tears up money. Seattle will stick around long enough to do its share.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 13, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

The Captain was Doggin' the District not United. I know they can't help their myopia being as isolated as they are waaaaayy up and out there... I hear they can see Russia from the top of the Space Needle.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 13, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Don't think too long. Make an offer to Preki immediately! He could be the US National team coach next world cup cycle. He is a excellent coach! DC United definitely dropped the ball by not hiring Bruce Arena when they had the chance. Being indecisive, will lead our fate down the Richie Williams path, which I believe will be a disaster! Make a big offer to Preki, and be happy that we will be back in the playoffs next year!

Posted by: alan19 | November 13, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I took the "tearing up money" comment to mean the White House and Congress.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | November 13, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

He meant DC not United? In that case DC does not tear up money. The 535 members of Congress, all of whom come from outside of DC, are the ones who tear up money. There are more money-rippers from Washington state than Washington, DC.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 13, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

That's what I was getting at.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 13, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Gawd, you haven't looked at your city government lately, have you?

As for done paying attentuion to soccer, it is obvuious you were too far into your cloud of whatever, DadRyan, to notice that soccer is a big thing here in the Northwest, much beyond the Sounders. And as for thye Sounderrs, we've been continuing to tally awards and begiun talking about next year. See, we have a coach- a pretty good one, at that- and a general manager that knows what he is doing, and a prety good core of a returning team. And we have an MLS Cup to host. Just what was it you have going for you?

Posted by: captainwierd | November 14, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Maybe you missed the part about me living in Arlington...
Our club is fine. Hopefully we shed some overpriced guys, and tear the league up next season with a free and clear schedule while you guys enjoy the pain in the a$$ that is the CCL/Open Cup etc...

Beware the sophomore jinx...

Posted by: DadRyan | November 15, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse