Sunday Kickaround

*Robbie Findley's 88th-minute goal for Real Salt Lake in the 1-0 victory over Columbus:

Why weren't Guillermo Barros Schelotto, the reigning MLS MVP, and Alejandro Moreno on the field for the Crew? "We didn't score any goals the last five games when they were on the field, so I felt like maybe we should go with a different combination. When were at home earlier this season against Real Salt Lake, we had Jason Garey and [Steve] Lenhart and we won 3-1. We had to occupy two defenders, which we did, but we didn't create many chances," said Coach Robert Warzycha, who started Lenhart and Emilio Renteria, then added Garey late.

*MLS today:
-- Chicago at New England (2 p.m. ET, Fox Soccer Channel).
-- Chivas USA vs. Los Angeles (5 p.m. ET, ESPN2) at Home Depot Center in what, according to Elias Sports Bureau, is one of the few times in American sports history that the same venue will be used by both teams in the playoffs. The others:

-- 1921 and '22 World Series between the New York Yankees and Giants at the Polo Grounds.
-- 1944 World Cup Series between the St. Louis Cardinals and Browns at Sportsman's Park.
-- 1927 and '28 hockey playoffs between the Montreal Canadiens and Maroons at the Forum.
-- 1929 and '38 hockey playoffs between the New York Rangers and Americans and Madison Square Garden.

*Details and lively quotes from the unsightly scoreless tie between Maryland and Virginia.

By Steve Goff  |  November 1, 2009; 12:45 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , History , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saturday Kickaround
Next: Americans Abroad

Comments

Goff,

The RSL v Columbus game was absolutely boring, and unbelievably no sense of urgency in the game.

On top of that BOTH teams key players either did not play at all or were on the bench for most of the game (GBS and Moreno for Columbus and Moysisien and Mathis for RSL).

Posted by: dcufan53 | November 1, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse

-- 1944 World Cup between the St. Louis Cardinals and Browns at Sportsman's Park.

Interesting....I had no idea the US hosted the World Cup previous to 1994. The Cardinals I know were a football powerhouse but, the Browns too?
I learn so much here.

Posted by: marksman37 | November 1, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Cool, I can post before fischy and comment on what he wrote after me.....and I actually agree with him. Schellotto should ALWAYS be on the field.
Of course it is the 1st round of the silly two stage MLS playoffs and strange things happen there, especially on Halloween.

Posted by: marksman37 | November 1, 2009 1:07 AM | Report abuse

Didn't see the game, but Warzycha's explanation is ridiculous. No way you can think the Crew have a better chance of scoring with GBS and Moreno on the bench.

Posted by: fischy | November 1, 2009 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Translation of Warzycha: We figured we could get out of here with a tie. It's been a long season so I wanted to rest those guys since we got stuck with the short week in this series.

Posted by: beach3 | November 1, 2009 7:03 AM | Report abuse

So if the SLC/Columbus game was boring without key attacking players on the field, shouldn't MLS fine both teams' coaches for doing what it fined Payne for saying?

Posted by: seahawkdad | November 1, 2009 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Beach3--That's a plausible explanation but it's not a translation. Warzycha called out Moreno and Schelotto for not performing. At least that's how I read it.

I can see switching Lenhart in for Moreno--he's a big presence and a persistent nuisance to go up against Olave--but keeping GBS out only makes sense if you're trying to rest him or prevent injury from the hacking hordes of RSL. And that only makes sense if it works...which it didn't.

Terrible move not to bring in Schelotto.

Posted by: wjones3044 | November 1, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Gotta luv Elias. Now that would be a cool place to work.

Posted by: Sec131 | November 1, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

It's funny that Payne comes out with a comment about some teams playing too defensively through the season. For me, one of the worst parts of the MLS game is this home-away first round of the playoffs. The first game is almost always dreadful and low scoring because the away team plays for a tie.

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | November 1, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a head coach so maybe Warzycha deserves the benefit of the doubt, but I don't see how Jason Garey gives you a better chance to win than Schelotto. Especially when their whole strategy was to sit back and capitalize on free kicks as Chest pointed out. Why not at least bring on GBS in the 75th minute? Or be like Soehn and bring him on in the 40th.

Posted by: DCUMD | November 1, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

The 0-0 tie between Houston and Seattle was only the 5th such game in the first leg since the playoffs went to this format in 04. Thought that was interesting.

I'd be surprised to see anything too different in today's first game, but the second one I have a hard time believing LA won't attack, since they are good at it, and it likely won't really feel like a road game.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 1, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Goff means World Series, not World Cup.

Posted by: osiuerer | November 1, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

JacobfromAtlanta-ish: They went to this format in 2003, not 2004.

That was the fifth 0-0 first-leg game since then, but first legs have averaged 1.38 goals per game to this point, while second legs have averaged 2.92.

Posted by: very_clever_username | November 1, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, osiuerer. We never would have figured that out.

Posted by: very_clever_username | November 1, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

For those of you complaining about the home and home.

Stop. Sometimes games like last night are dull, but other times they are tremendous.

Also, RSL sent out their usual line up. Neither Yura or Mathis have been starting recently. Williams won Mathis's spot. Thats hardly a defensive move.

If GBS was healthy and capable of playing both games, then it was a mistake (and dissappointing) for him not to play. For my money, Lenhart is better right now than Moreno as a target. Renteria is somewhat garbage though.

Posted by: srfinger | November 1, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

That game was a boring slug fest. Findley's goal was nice, but all in all, a tight, high pressure, physical battle with very little attacking quality or interest.

Not playing GBSchell or Moreno was a crock. Why would you not play a league star and the best player on your team?!?! People want to see him play. Let's sit Jordan or LeBron or Becks or Landon and see how many fans you'll get back . . .

Posted by: delantero | November 1, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Typical Terps

Posted by: carmines757 | November 1, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I'm hoping Gals/Goats will be entertaining.
Saw some nice goals on Republica Deportivo this morning. Particularly Berbatov and Chelsea doing their Harlem Globetrotters impersonation... Wow!

I'm finally officially sick... Seems like half my kids school and their parents are sick, it was only a matter of time I suppose... Lame.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 1, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

USA U17 side wins 1-nil, plays Italy on Wednesday. I assume that BSPNU will continue to cover them.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 1, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Why hasn't Bob Bradley capped Jack MacInerny yet?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 1, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I noticed the Glasgow Rangers match was abandoned at halftime. Any idea why?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | November 1, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Rangers match abandoned cause of rain. I was hoping for a nice soccer riot but nooooo...just rain!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | November 1, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

totally agree with others that the Seattle game was fun to watch, but last night's RSL/Columbus game was a total dud. Very uninspired play all the way around.

Posted by: edgeonyou | November 1, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

The Maryland women are taking on the Albicelestes of Chapel Hill at this hour. You can follow this match, as well as others around the country, here:

If you change one character in the URL, you can follow Division I men's soccer, too. This comes in especially handy at NCAA tournament time.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 1, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

re: "For those of you complaining about the home and home.

Did you watch thursday? Sure it was 0-0, but both sides played like their lives depended on it. Even though it went scoreless, there were more good chances than last night. It was an incredibly compelling game to watch. "

Scrap the home and home and make it a single game at the higher seeded team's ground and you are far more likely to see a good attacking match.

Posted by: Ron16 | November 1, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

another capacity crowd in NE for the playoffs.

Posted by: nairbsod | November 1, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

it's not like United broke any attendance records in the Stephen Goff Attendance Championships this year. Not to mention I don't watch these games to be entertained by the crowd either.
Just sayin'.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 1, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

who's Stephen Goff?

Posted by: nairbsod | November 1, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Sorry brah, spelled his name wrong, still think it's weak to criticize clubs attendances when our team is sitting at home watching from the couch. Not to mention New England being the only club to step up and produce a convincing result so far in these so called playoffs.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 1, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

who's Stephen Goff?
Posted by: nairbsod
============

A molecular biologist and HIV researcher at Columbia.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 1, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

No scoreless draw in the super clasico. Bad defending by the galaxy and a well taken shot by Santos.

The half sun/half shade thing is annoying to look at, though.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | November 1, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

And another piece of bad defending ties it. Magee is the benificiary and this game is on its way to being a barnburner.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | November 1, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Did Julie Foudy refer to the F-word on ESPN's pregame broadcast today? She and fellow MLS shillmeister Lalas both need to go away.

Posted by: lgm6986 | November 1, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Really really sad to say it but this espn commentators john harks and JP are even making the game more unenjoyable. What a dry sort of commentating? stay away from it okay.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | November 1, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | November 1, 2009 4:00 PM"

I'm not dissing any team. I'm dissing MLS. We're in the playoffs. You would think that there would be sell out crowds. Especially in SSS. I think it's a sad statement that these games aren't being attended like they should. I know there's a variety of factors out there to keep people away. I get all of that. But still.

Posted by: nairbsod | November 1, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

and when i have a choice watching poor play mls so called pay off and Palermo and Genoa a quality football .... yeah you bet i am going to watch the better football.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | November 1, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I hear ya nairbsod, but it is New England after all. I've come to expect a small crowd there, but I give them a little bit of credit for at least cleaning the gridiron lines off the field for the match.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 1, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

As long as coaches get fired for results, we are going to have first-leg games in which the visiting team bunkers in. Fact of life. KP was right in what he said and the League looks petty and paranoid for fining him 5G, but he was stupid for saying it because it looks like what it really is: Excuse making for his sorry-ass team.

By the way, there is no such thing as a SSS, not as long as we see football lines at Domino's Pizza Pie Park and Crew Stadium.

Speaking of which, why are Gillette Stadium and Qwest Field so good at removing the football lines while RFK can't get rid of lines that are ELEVEN MONTHS OLD???!!

Posted by: lgm6986 | November 1, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

RE: ""still think it's weak to criticize clubs attendances when our team is sitting at home watching from the couch. Not to mention New England being the only club to step up and produce a convincing result so far in these so called playoffs.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 1, 2009 4:00 PM"

Posted by: nairbsod |"

After all, the generally horrible MLS playoff attendances have prompted some to rightly refer to the MLS Playoffs as "*so-called* playoffs".

Posted by: Ron16 | November 1, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

WTF? Somehow this has turned into the salt crusted, barnacle ridden, Curmudgeon Insider... Someone send me a link on facebook when STEVEN GOFF drops a new post. L8.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 1, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I think I saw faded gridiron lines on the grass at Old Trafford. Did anyone else notice that?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 2, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | November 1, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

---

There's small crowds and there there was the NE crowd yesterday, who could have all carpooled to the game together.

The league actually should have had the game on a Wednesday so they could have used the midweek scheduling as an excuse for the poor attendance.

And the Terps game wasn't pretty, especially since UVA sent their diving team instead of their mens soccer team.

Posted by: M__N | November 2, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: M__N
==============

.. or cover all the seats with tarps and declare it a sell-out.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 2, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

The Maryland women are taking on the Albicelestes of Chapel Hill at this hour.
=============================

Tobin Heath is pretty awesome.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 2, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

.. or cover all the seats with tarps and declare it a sell-out.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 2, 2009 9:13 AM |

They did use tarps, just not enough of them. :-)

Posted by: nairbsod | November 2, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

"Robbie Findley" is the "f" word. Not just Findley, Robbie Findley.

Posted by: sitruc | November 2, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse