Sunday Matchday

Greetings from Charlottesville, Va., former home to Bruce Arena, Dave Sarachan, Bob Bradley, John Harkes, Tony Meola, Jeff Agoos, Richie Williams, Curt Onalfo, Claudio Reyna, Alecko Eskandarian, Ben Olsen, Bakary Soumare and, of course, A.J. Wood (tied for second on the program's all-time scoring list).

Yes, I would rather be at Estadio Camp Nou for Barcelona-Real Madrid (1 p.m. ET, GolTV, ESPN Deportes). Wouldn't we all. But my afternoon will be spent at Klockner Stadium, one of the meccas of American college soccer, as second-seeded Virginia attempts to extend its astounding shutout streak to 10 matches and reach the NCAA tournament quarterfinals with a round-of-16 match against Portland. Kickoff is 1 p.m. Join me on Twitter for periodic updates.

Also at 1 today, defending champion Maryland visits 10th-seeded Harvard. For the complete bracket, click here. For a brief preview of both matches, check here.

The women's College Cup semifinals were finalized last night.

By Steve Goff  |  November 29, 2009; 12:25 PM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , Spain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Life of Pele
Next: Barcelona-Madrid Video, NCAA Update

Comments

118 days until United's first 2010 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | November 29, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

how many mecca's do we have all together?

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | November 29, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Please make up for tha abysmal loss on the other football pitch last night.

Posted by: UVAtoRFK | November 29, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Let me say this as politely as possible...

GOL TV SUCKS DONKEY B@LLS

Posted by: Kev29 | November 29, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

i too am curious as to how many meccas of college soccer there are

Posted by: aubartolomei | November 29, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

ESPN360 is getting it done though. Didn't know this Clasico was on here today. Redskins in HD on the new tv...too bad this soccer match isn't on my tv! Beautiful goal by Ibrahdda!

Posted by: DadRyan | November 29, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@Dad -- the Barca match IS on TV. ESPN Deportes. I'm watching....

Posted by: fischy | November 29, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Thanks fischy, I don't get Deportes or FSC on my NON-Box comcast cable connection though. I do however am stoked that comcast finally got their act together and offer 360, because it sure is niceer than pirated feeds.
Cheers!

Posted by: DadRyan | November 29, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

"I do however am stoked"...? Sorry grammar dudes...

Posted by: DadRyan | November 29, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Jimmy Conrad has an interesting series of proposals for organizing MLS and lower leagues, as well as how to use the NCAA as an adjunct for player development. Foremost among those would be to split the MLS into two tiers, as is being proposed for the EPL lately. That way there would be no relegation outside of MLS, but there would be promotion and relegation within it. I think it ignores the improbable reality of MLS owners ever accepting an relegation, even if you call the second division MLS 2 -- but, it's an interesting idea worth consideration.

He also proposes turning the USL (I guess the NASL, too?) into a full-fledged minor/reserve league, with affiliates for each MLS team.

As a player (and a union rep, no?), it's not surprising that he wants to get rid of the draft. He proposes teams get more involved in developing youth players and retain a right of first refusal for any players that turn pro before their 4th year in college.

Personally, I don't think the MLS and soccer culture have advanced enough to make these ideas work, and the finances aren't there to make this work -- but it's an interesting vision. Worth a read.

Posted by: fischy | November 29, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

2-0 to the terps. goff, you gonna be back at uva next week?

Posted by: aubartolomei | November 29, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"The Mecca of..." is as cliche as "the Holy Grail of..." And that, is my proverbial, 110% opinion.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 29, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Goff, the most important thing is to post how we can get tix as soon as the NCAA tells us when the VA-MD game will be. Day, time ... at Klockner. Gotta be there! And it's right on the road to Cary. So, we'll be at the NC beach for a few days after the Charlottesville game, then it's College Cup!

Posted by: sbuck | November 29, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Steve twittered that MD-VA is on Friday.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 29, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

friday at 7

Posted by: aubartolomei | November 29, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

So, I'm reading over at SBI that Freddy Adu came on with 10 minutes left and nearly produced the game-winning assist in stoppage time...but the shot missed just wide. It's still a long time until World Cup training camps start, if Adu can force the coach to start paling him....We all know what he really needs is playing time. The sharpness he needs should come if he plays regularly.

Posted by: fischy | November 29, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

"to start playing him"

Posted by: fischy | November 29, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

What happened to GolTV that makes them sound like donkey bells?

I watched the Barca-Real game on GolTV and had a pretty clear picture except one minor digital breakup for a couple seconds. During the Chelsea-Arsenal game FSC's picture went black (but the audio kept going) right as Drogba scored the opener - but they showed plenty of replays afterwards.

I hope the weather in C'ville was as nice as it was in the DC area. Beautiful day for watching soccer!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 29, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

And I was at the Lucky Bar watching El Clasico on ESPN Desportes (since X#$%& Dish Network doesn't carry Gol TV anymore) and there were several instances of digital scramble when we couldn't see anything. And ESPN D_ has this nasty habit of covering the lower right corner of the screen with an opaque ad through which the pitch cannot be seen. Grrrrr.

Posted by: DCUSince96 | November 29, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

UVa vs MD, or "Monk" series finale?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | November 29, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

I haven't a clue.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 29, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I haven't a clue.

Posted by: I-270Exit1

Now that was an instant classic.

Posted by: glfrazier | November 29, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

They replay episodes two or three times on Friday nights. Then you can also catch it on Saturday, Rand-al-Thor...

Posted by: sitruc | November 29, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

You had to enjoy half of the stadium chanting "Keep Al Groh," UVAtoRFK. Tech made some good adjustments during the game. I was hoping they would put their stamp on the game and take the Hoos out of it earlier, but it wasn't meant to be. I suppose I'm okay with 42-13 and six straight.

Posted by: sitruc | November 29, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

UVa vs MD, or "Monk" series finale?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | November 29, 2009 6:12 PM
------------------------------------------------------

I figured out how Monk was poisoned, if you want me to spoil that for you and make the choice easier....

Posted by: fischy | November 29, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Freddy, if only the coach would give him more playing time he would: 1) become faster; 2) become stronger and 3) learn to play defense. Adu is done, he's a serviceable player in MLS, maybe, USMNT? Not unless the bubonic plague takes away the existing squad and "bubble" players.

Posted by: griffin1108 | November 29, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Digital Scramble at the Lucky Bar? Never seen that happen before...

Posted by: DadRyan | November 29, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Any chance UVA-MD will be televised? I can't get out of DC in time to make it to C'Ville. Bah.

Posted by: ldmay | November 29, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Oh and Monk will be replayed at midnight Friday, so you can have it all...

Posted by: ldmay | November 29, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

So, anybody else watching Grey Cup?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 29, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

What's that eh?

Posted by: DadRyan | November 29, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

That was a crazy ending with the missed FG and the following 12-men penalty, JacobfromAtlanta-ish.

Posted by: sitruc | November 29, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: griffin1108 | November 29, 2009 7:41 PM
--------------------------------------------------

He just played in a first division Portuguese Legue game. There aren't many "serviceable MLS players" who could make the reserve team for a 1st division Portuguese side, much less see action in a league game....

Posted by: fischy | November 30, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

I saw the Grey Cup too...I think that was the best pointythrowball game in North America on Sunday. Man, those guys from Saskatchewan have to be hurting...lose the game on an illegal procedure call? Ouch.

And what was up with the soccer lines on the McMahon Stadium turf, eh? :) :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | November 30, 2009 5:12 AM | Report abuse