Thursday Kickaround

*The MLS award announcements continue today with rookie of the year: Los Angeles defender Omar Gonzalez is the favorite ahead of D.C. United forward-midfielder Chris Pontius and Toronto goalkeeper Stefan Frei. Who's your choice?

*The BBC catches up with Freddy Adu ... via Twitter. He maintains optimistic about making the USA World Cup squad, but with so little playing time for his club, those chances are remote at the moment.

*The Under-17 World Cup semifinals in Nigeria take place today:
Colombia vs. Switzerland, 10 a.m. (Galavision)
Spain vs. Nigeria, 1 p.m. (espn360.com)

*The ACC tournament semifinals are set for Friday evening in Cary, N.C.:
(5) Virginia vs. (1) Wake Forest, 5:30 p.m.
(7) N.C. State vs. (3) Boston College, 8 p.m.
Yesterday, despite playing down a man for 27 minutes, Virginia received an 87th-minute breakaway goal by Tony Tchani to defeat Maryland, 1-0, extending its unbeaten streak to nine games and shutout run to six. North Carolina State went to penalty kicks to upset rival North Carolina after a scoreless draw. The ACC is likely to send seven teams to the NCAA tournament. Details of all four matches.

By Steve Goff  |  November 12, 2009; 8:00 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , College Soccer , MLS , Youth soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Arena: MLS Coach of Year
Next: D.C. United's Coaching Search

Comments

I'd like to vote for Pontius - I love his game, but it's very likely that my homer bias is showing. Gonzalez is a full-time starter as a rookie and LA is going deep into the playoffs. If push comes to shove, I'd vote for Gonzalez.

Posted by: mmathai | November 12, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Good stuff from the BBC. I have to believe that it's just not about the managers at the teams not allowing Freddy to play. Sure, there may be some bias there (or more, if the players is arguing with the manager), but I believe that the managers are under pressure to perform and will put out the best 11 available. I just don't think that Freddy is in those 11 most of the time. It seems like Freddy continues to put the blame on others for not playing.

Posted by: nairbsod | November 12, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

*if the PLAYER is arguing.

Posted by: nairbsod | November 12, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

nair: the only other reason that I can come up is that because he is a loanee, the coach, unless he is desperate to win, will call on him last.

However, other loanees (Igor, Felipe Bastos) are getting PT.

I watched the game last week -- like Monaco, there's no reason he can't play with these guys.

Posted by: Reignking | November 12, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I suppose it is The Curious Case of Freddy Adu. :-)

Posted by: nairbsod | November 12, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Loanees always seems more likely to play, in my opinion (based on what I see at English clubs). Usually a manager goes out to get a loan player with pedigree to fill an urgent need. Then you'd think they'd play him if they have him for a limited amount of time. I guess Freddy's just there in case of emergency now, which seems silly, aren't his wages pretty high?

Posted by: Kev29 | November 12, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I have to disagree with Nairbsod, I thought that BBC article was trash. MLS/Nowak did everything it could to nurture Freddy in the right way. He was the dumba$$ who thought he was ready to play in the middle of the field as a 16 yr old and demanded pt and a move to Salt Lake. The blame for his poor development shouldn't fall on MLS/US Soccer, it should fall on his advisors who pumped him full of hype.

Posted by: ddd001 | November 12, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I think it is time for Freddy to return to MLS.

I can't see Virginia getting past Wake. Ditto for NC State vs BC.

Posted by: Ron16 | November 12, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29

I don't know who is paying what.

Posted by: Reignking | November 12, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

The Post doesn't have anything about Maryland getting eliminated?

Posted by: Reignking | November 12, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Like the kids say, the Rookie of the Year is OG!

As for the ACC Tournament, UVa has gotten wins this year over all three of the other teams in the semis.

Wake has the best offense in the ACC and UVa the best defense so it should be a classic match.

Posted by: mercedeskk | November 12, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

"Everything I'm doing now and have been doing is to prepare myself for the Premier League. If it were up to me, I would be playing there now but there are work permit issues."

Thinking like that, he will never get anywhere. He is full of himself and thinks he is better than he really is. If he can't become a consistent starter for a bottom feeder club in a bottom feeder league, he won't even make the 18 in a top-level league.

Posted by: wanker82 | November 12, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

"Cruelly dubbed 'Freddy Adieu' by some"

Nice, an insider like post Mr. Bevan.

Some of the posters are bad mouthing MLS, saying "the league isn't good enough to see how good a player might be"

Posted by: delantero | November 12, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

""Volkswagen Steals Toyota's Crown as World's Largest Automaker"'

Maybe they'll float some more funds DC way?

Posted by: delantero | November 12, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Adu made absurd progress in DC, no thanks to Adu.

What does he think he's going to do at an EPL club - run the scoreboard?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | November 12, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Did someone say Volkswagen?

Posted by: DadRyan | November 12, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Sweet video, that dude is sick . . not sure what it has to with a car . .. . although I'll stick with my Subaru

Posted by: delantero | November 12, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wanker82

Yes, it's terrible that Adu has high aspirations and goals for himself.

Posted by: Reignking | November 12, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Have the police released the cause of Charlie Davies car accident?

Posted by: dmeaston | November 12, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

@delantero, that dude is sick, and yeah, we'll stick with our Element for now.
This is a link to another commercial he did recently, riding in the rain the whole time... take a moment if you've got it:

Posted by: DadRyan | November 12, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wanker82

Yes, it's terrible that Adu has high aspirations and goals for himself.

Posted by: Reignking | November 12, 2009 10:28 AM

Yes, but it is also terrible Freddy thinks he is so good that he doesn't have to work as hard/harder than the guys who are getting starting nods in front of him.

Posted by: rademaar | November 12, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

No, the car accident is a state secret - no news in almost a month

Posted by: GeneWells | November 12, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

VW? Here you go:

"Then you dive like an Italian...."

Posted by: jermWV | November 12, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rademaar

I have heard conflicting information on that...I think it is entirely possible that he just used his raw talent to get by, but it has to absolutely clear by this point that talent only gets you so far.

Posted by: Reignking | November 12, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I think Freddy Adu made a mistake by going to a High end European team too early. He needs to bite the bullet and start playing somewhere like English Championship or the Mexican League.

Posted by: fedster | November 12, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

What is your obsession with the details of a fatal automobile accident?

What possible right could you assert to that information that would not widely be considered an invasion of the privacy of the families involved?

It's very disturbing and unwholesome.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 12, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Interesting blog on Adu by the BBC's Beven. I think he is spot on with his assessment. It might not be such a bad idea coming back to MLS for awhile. He would be playing all the time, although its much more physical than he apparently likes he would be tested. To sit endlessly on European benchs year after year does not a great player make. It might be hard on his ego but it might just give his career a second life.

Posted by: sbg1 | November 12, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse