Tuesday Kickaround

*Ahead of the MLS expansion draft Wednesday to supply Philadelphia with 10 players from current clubs, D.C. United protected defenders Marc Burch, Dejan Jakovic, Julius James and Bryan Namoff; midfielders Fred, Clyde Simms, Danny Szetela and Rodney Wallace; midfielder-forwards Chris Pontius and Santino Quaranta; and forward Jaime Moreno. (Wallace graduated from the Generation Adidas program over the weekend and is no longer exempt from the protection process).

Available for selection: Luciano Emilio (giant salary, age), Christian Gomez (big salary, age), Andrew Jacobson (promising central MF), Boyzzz Khumalo (energetic wing), Devon McTavish (versatile MF-D) and rookie MF Brandon Barklage (whom DCU likes a lot). With only 10 rounds in the draft, there's a 33 percent chance DCU will not lose the rights to anyone.

For the complete list from which Philadelphia will choose and the draft guidelines, click here. Several unprotected players are coming off long-term injuries, have large salaries that might be difficult to negotiate to a lower figure, or are free agents with plans to head abroad. The unprotected include: Frankie Hejduk, Alejandro Moreno, Gino Padula, Mehdi Ballouchy, Pat Noonan, Dave van den Bergh, Wade Barrett, Michael Chabala, Pat Onstad, Kevin Hartman, Wells Thompson, Todd Dunivant, Clint Mathis, Roger Levesque, Amado Guevara and Philly natives Chris Albright and Bobby Convey.

*Sounders Coach Sigi Schmid (pneumonia) was released from a Seattle hospital after a four-night stay.

*Three names to surface in FC Dallas' hunt for a technical director: Marcelo Balboa, Dave Dir and Curt Onalfo.

*The renegade league that hopes to compete with the USL as a sanctioned second division has named itself ... the North American Soccer League. Hmmm, rings a bell, can't quite place it. Anyone familiar with that moniker? (Sigh) Bad name or terrible name? You decide. Members so far: Atlanta, Carolina, Baltimore, Miami, Minnesota, Montreal, St. Louis, Tampa Bay and Vancouver.

For Americans Abroad and TV listings.....

*Americans Abroad:
Monday
GK Luis Robles in 18, didn't play in Kaiserslautern's 2-0 win at Union Berlin
MF Benny Feilhaber 90 minutes in Aarhus' 0-0 tie at Aalborg
F Marcus Tracy 90 minutes in Aalborg's 0-0 tie vs. Aarhus
Tuesday
MF DaMarcus Beasley and Rangers vs. Stuttgart
F Mike Grella and Leeds vs. Leyton Orient

*Soccer on TV:
Fiorentina-Lyon 2:30 p.m. ET, Fox Soccer Channel; 6:45 p.m. Setanta
Barcelona-Inter Milan 2:30 p.m. Comcast SportsNet/DC, Fox Sports Net; 7 p.m. FSC
Debrecen-Liverpool 2:40 p.m. Setanta; 5 p.m. FSC
Arsenal-Standard Liege 5 p.m. Setanta; 9 p.m. FSC
MLS Cup replay 7 p.m. ESPN Classic

By Steve Goff  |  November 24, 2009; 1:48 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , MLS , TV , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Olsen, MLS, Wigan, NCAA
Next: Olsen's Retirement

Comments

Fred? Really?

Posted by: DCU4LIFE | November 24, 2009 2:38 AM | Report abuse

I'm expecting a lot of news from United and MLS today. For that reason I'm disappointed this post wasn't an "Early Tuesday Kickaround."

Overnights had the MLS Cup final up 29% from last year to a .9, universityandpark. Also,

Sunday's MLS Cup drew a 5.8 rating in Salt Lake City, the market's highest rating for an MLS telecast on ESPN/ABC since '01. The match also drew a 1.9 in Los Angeles and a 2.8 in host-city Seattle -- the third-highest rated ESPN/ABC MLS telecast since '01 in each market. (ESPN)

Posted by: sitruc | November 24, 2009 3:42 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand protecting Fred either. Big salary, terrible season. I'd rather have protected Boyzzz or McTavish.

Posted by: fedssocr | November 24, 2009 5:29 AM | Report abuse

FRED?!

And Rodney Wallace is Generation Adidas!!!! There is no need to protect him! We could have protected 2 out of Jacobsen, Boyzzz, McTavish, and Barklage! They're unlikely to take Barklage because of the injury, but the other three guys could be very useful to them, and I was really hoping to hold on to them.

Ugh. Bad way to start off a Tuesday.

Posted by: kdiff813 | November 24, 2009 5:40 AM | Report abuse

"(Wallace graduated from the Generation Adidas program over the weekend and is no longer exempt from the protection process)."

Never mind; I missed that ;-)

I still pick any one of those four players over Fred. There's about a 12% chance they choose Fred with his bloated salary and poor play, and even if they do...

...so what?

Posted by: kdiff813 | November 24, 2009 5:41 AM | Report abuse

There should be a poll on who we are going to lose. My vote: McTavish.

Posted by: granadoskerry | November 24, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Protecting Fred is a huge mistake. I doubt that Philly would have taken him. They will definitly take one of either Boyzz or Jacobsen. They may take McTavish since he is an expierienced player. The only way we get lucky is if they load up on some unprotected veterens like albright, and convey. It would be good PR to bring one or both of them home to philly to finish theer careers.

Posted by: jjfooty | November 24, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

I hope we lose McTavish, Gomez, or Emilio. Barklage and Jackobsen actually have some promise. McTavish is never going to start, he is a versital bench player that's it. Gomez and Emilio need giant salary cuts if DCU should even consider keeping them on the roster. Even then I don't know if they are worth it anymore.

For McTavish's sake I hope they draft him, he'll actually get playing time.

Posted by: bighungry | November 24, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

I understand everyone's concern over Fred, but putting Burch on this list really irritates me. Lose Burch and we probably make the playoffs last year. The guy spends half the game ball watching at the far post instead of marking. I very rarely see him winning high balls in the box. I liked Khumalo and Jacobson instead of Fred and Burch.

Posted by: no_recess | November 24, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

#14

TEAR!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | November 24, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

FRED!?!
THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!

You guys realize that they are obligated to protect a minimum number of International players right? Emilio, and now Gomez aren't SI's anymore.
You ever think that they may have a trade in the works, or hopes for a transfer fee in shipping him back to Australia? Maybe he's already got a loan deal worked out like last off season?Or maybe, just maybe Fred has compromising photos of Payne...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | November 24, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I agree with bighungry as well, in regard to McT. As much as I like the guy I'd be happier for him getting some real PT elsewhere. He's wasting away at DCU.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 24, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

1a. The new NASL (nNASL?) will lose Vancouver and perhaps Montreal very soon. It may even lose St. Louis or Atlanta. This is highly questionable planning from a fledgling league, unless the whole idea of the nNASL is just posturing.

1b. The domain nasl.com belongs to the North Alabama Soccer League. I wonder how much they want for it. Given the nNASL's lack of creativity, they may go with naslsoccer.com.

2. Fred has talent somewhere in him. He's possibly one of those players who would benefit from a coaching or team change. If taken, he could come back to hurt us, especially through the left side of our back line.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 24, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Fred is a strange choice, but I would not have protected Boyzzz either - he brings energy but he is also Fred's main competitor for most turnovers/minute. Jacobson for Fred is probably the only change I would make. Slightly off topic, met Julius James at a youth soccer tournament this weekend, he did a great job with the kids.

Posted by: assocfoot | November 24, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

@bigghhungary -- who's this Jackobsen fellow?

Posted by: fischy | November 24, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand why we're keeping Fred. Maybe they are going to try and sell him?He is old, slow, and over-paid.

Should have protected Boyzzz or Jacobson.

Posted by: wanker82 | November 24, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

OUTRAGE!
I-270, how dare you suggest that Fred has any talent!!! How dare you suggest that Tom Soehn may not have gotten the most out of one of his players! OUTRAGE!!!! How Dare you suggest that Fred could go elsewhere and TORCH our outside backs!!! Namoff and Burch never get turned inside out!!!
OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!
;^)

Another reminder to get your Argy Bargy Goff transfers in!

Posted by: DadRyan | November 24, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

No doubt they'll want naslnet.com

Dad makes a good point -- per the rules, the team had to choose between protecting Emilio or Fred. Philly isn't going to pick Luci, so the choice was easy.

Posted by: fischy | November 24, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone have DC's expansion list from last year (for Seattle)? I would like to compare.

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | November 24, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Sitting in last place (I missed the 1st week and had a disastrous 3rd week because I didn't remember to swap out injured players), fischy's Bethesda United is looking to make a big climb up the standings (big last round, expecting even bigger things this week).

Posted by: fischy | November 24, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I vote we just give Philly our entire roster so we can start over.

Posted by: Ron16 | November 24, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I don't know why everyone hates Fred.
Having watched DC United train, Fred by far is the most talented player on the roster.

Posted by: o35_still_kicking | November 24, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

There should be a poll on who we are going to lose. My vote: McTavish.

Posted by: granadoskerry | November 24, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

----------------------

You realize that there are only ten rounds to the expansion draft, right? There are 15 MLS teams...five of whom will lose no one to the draft.

Further, as DadRyan mentioned, teams could only make a certain number of SI players available:

• Teams may make available a number of international players equal to their total number of international players minus 3, provided that if a team has 3 or less international players it may make available not more than 1.

So, the only decision DCU had to make was between Fred, Gomez, or Khumalo (he's an SI, right?). As we all agree, Gomez isn't going to be taken. And I honestly doubt Philly will want to tie up one if its SI spots with Khumalo. So, Fred makes sense.

I actually think that if Fred is given time as the playmaker (a la his days with Melbourne), he could be a solid contributor.

If we lose someone, my guess is that it will be either McTavish or Jacobson.

Posted by: combedge | November 24, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

There are some talented players on the MLS list. I realize salary cap/age, etc play a role, but Nowak and crew can field a pretty good team right away.

Posted by: delantero | November 24, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha
***************************************

Quit tilting at windmills and get a life, Man of La Mancha.

Do you really think we have time to do research projects for you?

Oh, wait.

I have it right here on my computer.

Vintage info from Goff's Soccer Insider:

[Goff]D.C. United Protects.....
Marc Burch
Luciano Emilio
Fred
Ivan Guerrero
Greg Janicki
Thabiso Khumalo
Devon McTavish
Jaime Moreno
Bryan Namoff
Santino Quaranta
Clyde Simms

Which leaves the following players available for selection by Seattle in Wednesday's expansion draft: Crayton, Martinez, Peralta, Vide, Gallardo, Doe, J. Carroll, P. Carroll, Cordeiro, Dyachenko, Kirk, Coroma, Mediate, Miller, Olsen, Thompson, Thorpe, Wells, Zaher. [/Goff]

BTW, Seattle passed over all DC's offerings and picked the following:

Nate Jaqua from Houston
Nathan Sturgis from RSL
Jeff Parke from NY
Jarrod Smith from Toronto
Khano Smith from NE
Peter Vagenas from LA
Tyson Wahl from KC
James Riley from SJ
Stephen King from Chicago
Brad Evans from Columbus

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 24, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Somehow I think Alecko and Convey will be heading to Philly, maybe Albright and Barrett too.

Posted by: delantero | November 24, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I'll be seriously bummed out if we lose McTavish. On the other hand, there are definitely worse places for him to get drafted, especially since he'll still be reasonably close to his folks and playing in a shiny new stadium.

On an unrelated note... What does is the NASL thinking for the future? In the next 2-3 years, they'll lose two of their bigger franchises to MLS (Montréal and Vancouver).

Posted by: hogmesh | November 24, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

On the topic of protected lists - protecting Fred was most certainly a mistake.

I'd rather lose a known quantity and have him perhaps work out in a new scheme in 2010 than lose an up and comer that we TRADE BACK FOR AND THEN GOES FROM UP AND COMER TO DISAPPOINTMENT!

AHEM, Mr. Dyachenko!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | November 24, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

BTW, Seattle passed over all DC's offerings
Posted by: Joel_M_Lane
=================

Apparently so did DC. Only Ben remains with the team (until later today).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 24, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

United is just protecting their investment in Fred. Better to deal him on their own terms than lose him in an expansion draft. Would anyone be surprised to see him get loaned back to the A-League in the offseason? I thought he wasn't coming back last year, until of course his pops passed away and he had to come back.

Either way, I think it's safe to say that Payne and co have an agenda that doesn't cater to the commenters on this blog. It'll be ok, you'll see. What ever is supposed to happen will happen.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 24, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I think for this particular group, choosing the NASL moniker makes perfect sense. It's going to go down in a blaze of gory, so taking that name with it is appropriate.

I am worried that Sons of Ben will reclaim their own. C'mon, Ben, Peter doesn't need you. We do.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | November 24, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Two good left backs available in Dunivant and Barret. I wonder how available those guys could be to DC United.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | November 24, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I've always thought Fred would make a much better central player, myself. And wasn't it not too long ago his A-League team said they were interested in a purchase?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 24, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | November 24, 2009 3:42 AM | Report abuse

This is really good news for MLS. I hope they keep Sunday night for the future games. I think limiting the NFL competition to just the Sunday night game helped the MLS Cup ratings. Also shows the Beckham allure has not completely faded as some have speculated.

Posted by: croftonpost | November 24, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

thanks for calming my Fred-rage down DadRyan. you're making sense with this "why let him go for free" talk.

I remember last year, everyone was freaking out that we were going to lose unprotected players like Joe Vide and Francis Doe. When Seattle passed on DCU players, everyone was releaved. and then neither of them made the roster anyway. I don't think that will be the case this year. My guess is Nowak takes McT, Jacobsen, or maybe Gomez.

Would PU even be allowed to select Ben Olsen? like for spite?

Posted by: VTUnited | November 24, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Trivia Question: Has FIFA ever recognized more than one separately-operated/owned league at the same tier of football in any country? I don't have the answer - does Goff or any of his readers? Perhaps the new NASL has cited such precedent in their submissions to the US and Canadian soccer federations, and to FIFA...

Posted by: bartapest1 | November 24, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

For the sake of the League, I hope PU takes either LeToux or Levesque off the Sounders roster, just so we don't have to hear any more clever jerk announcers shout "french connection!"

Posted by: VTUnited | November 24, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

----

Short answer, yes, but it's mostly based on geography. Rival leagues did appear in Europe a hundred years ago, but they were eventually consolidated due to common sense, amateur vs. professional considerations or regime change in your more unstable countries.

Longer answer, it's more of a question for the Fed to answer, and if the answer is no to NASL2, then I think the word 'antitrust' could be thrown around. THEN, FIFA will get involved because they hate governmental interference in any country. Until then, I think Seppie-poo has enough on his plate.

Posted by: IamAM | November 24, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Teams are required to protect players with no-trade clauses. I bet Fred has that in his contract, so DC had no choice but to protect him.

The only other way protecting Fred makes sense is if DC expects a transfer fee from a foreign club.

Anyone know Fred's contract terms?

Posted by: muskratinator | November 24, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I'm guessing McTavish is most vulnerable. He's kind of the Brian Carroll of the list.

As for NASL, it could be a brilliant marketing move. There's a lot of power in the branding. Among the general public (i.e. non-soccer-geeks), NASL easily trumps USL for recognition, and rivals MLS as well.

If they can get a decent product on the field and grow the league, this could be a huge advantage going forward. If they fail, this will add to their embarrassment. High risk, potentially high reward.

Posted by: -rke- | November 24, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Anyone have an idea of what the odds are we are going to host the 1028 or 2022 World Cup? England looked like the biggest rival for 2018, but they just fired the head of their bidding group. I would venture to say we are the front runners...

Posted by: bighungry | November 24, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Why the Fred hate? A disappointing year for sure, but more technical ability than most on the roster, or in the league. Poor decision-making can be fixed by a coach, but what he brings is a precious commodity in MLS.

On the other hand, I am completely mystified at Burch. At this point maybe it says more about me than DC United, but honest to goodness, it makes me cringe when I see U-13 players run around the ball to get to their strong foot. In professional soccer? As a defender? I just don't see that this guy, even after years in the league, has the talent on the ball that I think people have a right to expect in professional soccer. And no caoch is going to fix that at this stage. Even his supposed strong suit -- a big left foot -- what good has it been? Good reliable service? A goal scoring threat? Dangerous free kicks on a regular basis? I haven't seen it. I'm mystified by that one. Or do we need an enforcer for the Open Cup and Blanco games . . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | November 24, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

OWNTF - then how can you stand watching Rodney Wallace play? He strikes the ball like he's on crutches, with either foot. I've never seen any pro player with technique that poor, ever, anywhere.

If you "haven't seen it", you haven't seen it, I guess, and others see things you don't.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | November 24, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I can dig the diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, Godfather, but what exactly am I missing? What's the case for Burch?

Posted by: OWNTF | November 24, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

i like burch, but not as a first team choice. i'm ok with DCU protecting him, as they have made a pretty decent investment in him as a project over the years. hes a good depth guy (like McT), as he can fill in reasonably at LB or LM, and at a reasonable price.

Posted by: VTUnited | November 24, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Dadryan on this one. We all know that we need to remove the slow, useless elements from the team, but we also can't throw away the baby with the bathwater (if we don't retain some finesse play, we'll turn into San Jose). Though I loathed Fred's play this season, if he was the only player on the field doing what he does, that pointless skill might turn into something useful (Fred sits back, collects defenders, passes off to a streaking Wallace, who passes to Moreno, chip for Pontius/Quaranta, you get the picture. Instead of Fred dithers with the ball, passes to Gomez, who dribbles like a matador, passes to Quaranta, who sees no one making a constructive run, pass back).

Maybe Soehn just didn't know how to fit him into the team. As for Burch, hopefully they'll still look for backup.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | November 24, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I dont know about the name of the NASL (2.0), but the idea of including Montreal and Vancouver seems like a great idea to me. In fact i'd say its by design. If this 2nd tier league can set themselves up and show that some of their teams can transition right into the MLS that could bolster the opportunity some of the other teams to join in the future as well. Either as full members into an expanded MLS or....as a viable promotion/relegation option. Look at the names on that list, actually those are the only teams that are in, potential viable and interested markets in joining MLS (including 2 that were once in MLS).

Posted by: Brian76 | November 24, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I can definitely see keeping Burch, especially without knowing who the coach will be. If we don't run 3-5-2 and have 4 in the back, the Burch is not nearly the liability at the back and would play more to his strengths as an offensive outside back. His major weakness (or at least where he's been burned most) is in aerial defense on crosses. So with 2 centerbacks he should have much less responsibility for that. I like him as a outside leftback almost as much as anyone in the league, he just isn't a 3 back defender.

Posted by: Brian76 | November 24, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Too bad we can't trade in Emilio for Alejandro Moreno... Hell, half the guys on that list would be an upgrade.

Posted by: Dynaformer | November 24, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Y'all keep making irrelevant arguments. As DadRyan noted, the draft rules limit the number of internationals DCU could expose to hte draft.

They could not expose more than 6 or was it 5, if Gomez is no longer an international?) They left unprotected: Emilio, Habarugira, Khumalo, Shipilane, John (and Gomez). If you're saying that they shouldn't have protected Fred, you can't come back by saying they should have protected Jacobson or McTavish. That's a non-sequitur -- unrelated. You have to say they should have used that slot instead to protect Boyzz or Tiyi..or Habarugira or Gomez, or Emilio or Avery John.

DCU made the right call.

And the "no-trade" provision only applies to DPs. Fred is not a DP.

Posted by: fischy | November 24, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

fischy and me agreeing? I better go buy a lottery ticket...

Posted by: DadRyan | November 24, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Buy two, DR, because I agree with you too.

It's amazing the amount of OUTRAGE being expressed here over DCU's choices by people that apparently have no idea what the rules are, and what constraints DCU had to satisfy in arriving at their list.

The only name on the list that really bugs me is Burch; I woulda protected Jacobson over him.

But my suspicion is that nobody from DCU gets picked. Our players just aren't that good.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | November 24, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Nowak will take Eskandarian right?

Posted by: OWNTF | November 24, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse