United Coaching Change

Tom Soehn will not return as coach of D.C. United, ending a three-year reign that began well but deteriorated the past two seasons as the club failed to qualify for the MLS playoffs and fell short in international competition.

He was in the final season of a three-year contract. Although club officials had apparently not reached a decision on whether to offer him a new deal, Soehn informed them Monday that he did not want to seek an extension and withdrew his name from consideration.

"My family and I have spent a lot of time in reaching this very difficult decision," Soehn said.

His record in league play was 36-30-24, plus 0-1-1 in the playoffs. United won the U.S. Open Cup in 2008 and lost in the final this year. In the CONCACAF Champions League, United made major strides this year, registering a 3-2-1 record in group play, but fell just short of a quarterfinal berth. Last year, the club went 0-5-1 in the international tournament.

"Tommy has done an outstanding job at D.C. United, first as an assistant and then as our head coach," United President Kevin Payne said in a written statement. "Over the past three seasons, Tommy has faced greater challenges than any other Major League Soccer coach. His record in all competitions this season was outstanding and he should not be judged on the basis of missing the MLS playoffs. Tommy is a fine young coach and I know we will face him in the future in MLS play. I wish him all of the luck in the world."

In United's 14-season history, despite four MLS titles and numerous other honors, no head coach has lasted more than three years. Bruce Arena (1996-98) left to become the U.S. national team coach, Thomas Rongen (1999-2001) was dismissed after missing the playoffs twice, Ray Hudson (2002-03) couldn't revive the club and Peter Nowak (2004-06) departed to become the U.S. Olympic coach.

Soehn, 43, served as Nowak's assistant for three years, and his six years of overall service is second in club history behind goalkeepers coach Mark Simpson (seven).

By Steve Goff  |  November 3, 2009; 11:28 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday Kickaround
Next: DCU: Looking Back and Ahead

Comments

I wish him well. I actually like the guy but think it was time to part ways.

Posted by: AtlantaMLS | November 3, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Sorry to see him go in some ways, but it's time for a new start. He was a player's coach, and the guys seemed to genuinely want to play for him. Good luck Tommy. Sure you'll land on your feet!

Posted by: sammy41 | November 3, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

A good guy, but the change was needed, much to my dismay.

Chest, when you talk with Kevin, make sure you hold out for the big bucks.

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 3, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I think he is a good guy, the team just needs something else right now. Hopefully he can land on his feet.

Posted by: FatSickBoot | November 3, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

The New Start starts now--I'll renew my season tics.

Best of luck to you Tom Soehn.

Posted by: DCB23 | November 3, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Good guy Soehn was especially for handling this like an adult. I wish him the best of luck and I know he will find an assistant job somewhere in the league.

Now, who is going to be our next coach?

Posted by: strago | November 3, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

A dignified exit. Thank you and best wishes.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 3, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Soehn informed them Monday that he did not want to seek an extension.

Maybe he has something else lined up...good for him if true.

Maybe he will replace Phil Brown ;)

Posted by: Reignking | November 3, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Tommy, for trying your best and leaving when it was time. This kind of change suggests you'll likely find a way to go forward and improve as a coach.

Is Philly or NYRB calling?

Posted by: DCUinCT | November 3, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for your service Tommy. Good luck. Though not with Philly (if that's where you are headed), or most any other MLS team I guess, especially when we play them ;-)

Nice guy with what, 4 young kids - hopefully he has a job lined up, kids like to eat.

Posted by: dcufan | November 3, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

It's about time. I never cared for him, but if your reading this Tommy thanks for all the hard work and effort. Peace!

Posted by: no_recess | November 3, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Heh, look at you suckers keepin' it classy.

I say, DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD!

Posted by: Shmenge | November 3, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Vidovich?

Posted by: OWNTF | November 3, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Thank you Tommy. If you're looking for a position in the interim, my team handball club would love to have you.

Posted by: B_A_ | November 3, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Didn't expect him to resign/withdraw. Maybe he heard something through the grapevine and thought it was better to leave on his terms? Possible that he has something lined up. Maybe rejoining Nowak in Philly?

Richie Williams please pick up the courtesy phone.

Posted by: owendylan | November 3, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Falling on the sword . . it's really the only honorable thing to do.

Good Luck/Riddance, Tommy!

Posted by: delantero | November 3, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Tom Soehn, that you for two trophies in three years. Good luck to you.

Posted by: decoi | November 3, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Any possibility of him joining the staff in Philly?

Posted by: sitruc | November 3, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Probably a better way to exit. Fresh start now. Lets start on gettin the coaching candidates list ready...

Posted by: totalfootballer | November 3, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Also, you can tell the FO wanted to bring him back...

Posted by: totalfootballer | November 3, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Good luck to Coach Soehn! I wish he'd had more success getting into the MLS playoffs, but overall I don't think he did a bad job with the teams he had.

Posted by: jva1 | November 3, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

It's time for John Harkes.

Posted by: LovetheGoffer | November 3, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Good luck, Tommy, and thanks for the trophies. You seem to be a good guy, but it was time.

Posted by: JamesDougan | November 3, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I liked him but as others said, it was time for a change. I wonder too as someone earlier suggested, he ends up as an assistant in Philly...

Who does United turn to now? Personally I would love to see Richie Williams back here. Either him or Denis Hamlett if things don't work for him in Chicago. Hamlett was raised here and played for George Mason.

Posted by: bbride1 | November 3, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Kevin asked for him to step down???? It seemed that Kevin had a very hard time trying to let go. I wonder if he even helped tommy find a new gig???

Posted by: Norteno4life | November 3, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Now we need players. This team needs to be gutted and refitted big-time. Olsen, follow Tommy's example and please hang up your boots. Trade Quaranta. Deal/cut/not renew/whatever Emilio. Cut Gomez. Usher Moreno gracefully out the door somehow. Unload Fred.

Keep Namoff, Jakovic, Simms.

Use anybody else for trade fodder and freed up cap space to build a REAL DC United team.

Posted by: Ron16 | November 3, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh God no not Harkes. He's an...

Let's have a reality show to choose the next coach. Great publicity.

Posted by: Reignking | November 3, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

"Hamlett was raised here and played for George Mason.

Posted by: bbride1"

How does that qualify someone as a good professional soccer coach?

I'd say Hamlett leaves something to be desired. Chicago has underperformed based on the talent they have.

Posted by: Ron16 | November 3, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

He definitly has another job lined up. Maybe Philly, or a college job. Maybe a job with one of the future exspnation clubs?

Posted by: jjfooty | November 3, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

The nice person in me thinks, 'clean break, best of luck to all involved'

The cynic in me thinks, 'struggling franchise can't even get out ahead of this before Soehn decided to give up. Who the f is in charge over there?? First Payne gives us a limp *we almost snuck into the playoffs* excuse and now Soehn looks like he's in control. No wonder they can't get a stadium - they have no balls'

Posted by: Kev29 | November 3, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

wow Ron16, hope you don't feel like winning for a few years.
Some turnover is indeed needed, and will always happen, but not a gutting IMO. Whenever we have gutted our team it has not gone well afterward. Nor should it, really, it's a dumb way to run a frnchise.

Posted by: dcufan | November 3, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Soehn to UVa! ;)

If Harkes is hired, I might cheer for the Union flag.

Posted by: Reignking | November 3, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Now the only question is will the replacement be any better?

Posted by: bighungry | November 3, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Ron, it doesn't mean anything, I was just pointing out he was a local tie to the DC area. Hamlett's done ok in Chicago IMO

Posted by: bbride1 | November 3, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Keep cleaning . . . Payne, hopefully you're next . . . do the right thing and resign.

Posted by: LCR-54 | November 3, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Glad to read so many "best wishes" for Soehn. I can see him as an assistant in Philly -- which will make United's lives a bit difficult the first couple of years unless we see a wholesale roster change this winter.

As for a replacement, I want someone who thinks attack first. I want a team that I'm proud to watch and support, and a good attacking team in MLS will make the playoffs. We can have the best of both worlds.

So there's only one option -- bring in Pia.

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 3, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Our next coach will be under so much pressure...

Posted by: Rosslyn45 | November 3, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Good luck in your future endeavors Tommy. Your service is appreciated and I hope that you and your family find a new home and employment soon.

However, this was just not the right time to continue things. We need a good eye for talent and we need a coach that can command respect from players and build a new foundation for success for the Black and Red.

The quest for the Fifth Star begins now.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | November 3, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

And we turn the page on that chapter.

Classy move on Soehn's part. We may have had the more games to deal with than any other MLS coach, but missing the playoffs two years in a row is unacceptable.

If you're playing in too many games, maybe the organizations "eyes are bigger than its stomach," so to speak. While I know that DC United wants to be the best club in CONCACAF, it should always seek to be the best team in MLS first and foremost.

Now, we need to find a replacement quickly so that the team can adequately assess who gets protected in the Expansion Draft. I definitely want a new coach with a say in that decision.

Posted by: TCompton | November 3, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

A class move by a class act. Tom Soehn will be a head coach in the MLS in 2010.

Posted by: sevnshvn | November 3, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

So there's only one option -- bring in Pia.

Posted by: joedoc1
-------------------------------------------
Gut-bustingly funny.

But what about Ryan?

Posted by: yankiboy | November 3, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

United's FO allowed for Soehn o step out on his own terms, which was the right thing to do. Tommy was clearly devoted to the club and gave everything he had. In the end it wasn't his commitment or desire for success that was in question -- merely his tactics and lineup selections. It's true, too, that he was hamstrung by fixture congestion and a geriatric core of players. Good luck Tommy, but not too much luck.

Now we need to position ourselves for a strong draft and ensure that we make a few balanced and rational acquisitions in the offseason with all our freed up loot (keeper, AM and a forward). Oh, and a decent head coach would be nice.

Posted by: JaimeSegundo | November 3, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

@TC: I don't know if DC is able to differ playing in the other comps if it qualifies fopr them or is selected by the league to participate.

Except for the USOC, those other competitions are the "penalty" of success.

Posted by: yankiboy | November 3, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TCompton | November 3, 2009 12:30 PM

I think the only tough decision with the expansion list is who they'd prefer to get rid of - not who to protect. There are 11 players who need to be protected, right? I can't think of 11 guys that are must keeps on our payroll.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 3, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Like i said before Juande Ramos is out of a job.

Its a recession, he might need a job!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | November 3, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

A graceful exit from a good person. He wasn't the right fit here though, and kudos to him for recognizing that and sparing everyone the drama. I'm sure he wont stay unempolyed for long..

Now let the real speculating begin..

Posted by: rademaar | November 3, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Good question yankiboy. Out of morbid curiousity I looked this up:

The University of Michigan Wolverines under Greg Ryan are next to last in the Big Ten with only 1 conference win.

They are dead last in the conference by a LONG shot in shots per game, goals per game, points per game, and assists per game.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 3, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Like i said before Juande Ramos is out of a job.

Its a recession, he might need a job!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | November 3, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

---------

Dear god, don't let him near another one of my teams. Although if Harry wants a nice team to finish up with after Tottenham ...

Posted by: M__N | November 3, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

He was too low profile, maybe he can get a jog as a sheep crossing guard in England so Jozy won't be late for practice.

We need a big name to boost the team's recognition.

Sven Jurgen Maradona.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 3, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

job not jog!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 3, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

One down, 4 to go.

Simpson, Ashton, Kaspar and Payne.

The Black and Red Revolution will not sleep until they are purged.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | November 3, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I think the Metros are going to go after Juande!

Best of luck, Tommy, and thanks for the silverware.

Posted by: Senor_Funk | November 3, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Jose (The Chosen One) Mourinho, you have a call on the black-and-red courtesy phone...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | November 3, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

joedoc:

My phone has been silent. Guess they're just putting their house in order before the offer comes, right?

***

This is the best way this could have ended. Soehn isn't stupid; he knew the fans were done with him, and I'm sure he could also tell that he'd lost the ability to inspire many of the players. They like him as a person, sure, but that's not enough. With the club not stepping up right away with a strong public statement in his favor, the writing was on the wall.

I think Soehn has a bright future, but there's obviously more to learn. For a coach, he's young, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him having success elsewhere within the next 5 years. Sometimes, you have the right person at the wrong time. There's a strong chance that this was an example of that.

As for the new coach, the list of likely candidates has hardly left me excited. Every name that's been seriously discussed has at least one big question mark:

Richie Williams: Inexperience

Curt Onalfo: Looked like he wasn't ready to be a head coach in a lower-pressure gig in KC

John Spencer: No experience; Houston's style of play and his background in the pre-champagne soccer days of English/Scottish leagues points to a direct approach that contrasts with Payne's vision

Dave Sarachan: Underwhelmed with talented Chicago team; seems to be another "good guy" that might not have the mean streak to succeed (making him a great assistant for Arena, but not a good head coach)

Preki: His Chivas teams are very much defense-first, aggression-second outfits, which hardly jives with Payne's desire for quality soccer; occasionally bizarre tactics (Bornstein at CB, etc)

Colin Clarke: Couldn't cut it at Dallas; his Islanders play anti-soccer often enough that they don't appear to be that good at anything else

Sasho Cirovski: No MLS experience; years of observation have me convinced that he doesn't have the tactical ability to do much beyond send out his best eleven and hope it works

It could be that I'm looking too much at Spencer's resume and he'd want to play good soccer, or that Preki is simply trying to play the hand he's been dealt and would love to be at a club that brings in better attackers. I just don't see either of those being true at this point. The name that bothers me the least at this point would be Williams, who has done well in his short spells in charge and who has gotten much more out of awful NY teams than most felt possible. He's also well aware of how DC United is supposed to play, and I'm pretty sure he has the toughness in him to gain the respect of the players. His inexperience is a potential red flag, but there's no perfect candidate out there.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 3, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Let's have a reality show to choose the next coach. Great publicity.

Posted by: Reignking | November 3, 2009 12:14 PM
_____________

Dude - awesome idea! But with someone else's club :)
**********

Posted by: Kev29 | November 3, 2009 12:36 PM
____________

Amen, brother. I think there are four or five you protect because they are good values (Jakovich, Pontius, Wallace . . . uh), plus you protect moreno and olsen because loyalty has its own value.

Can players resign? Emilio, watcha think?

Posted by: regularfan | November 3, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Simpson & Ashton? Isn't that some 70s group?

Posted by: Reignking | November 3, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Chest Rockwell's Black n Red Army!
Chest Rockwell's Black n Red Army!
Chest Rockwell's Black n Red Army!

I can hear it coming from the stands now...

Posted by: Kev29 | November 3, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Kev29:

I couldn't agree more. I was saying this yesterday: The expansion draft won't have any truly difficult questions for us, so rushing a head coach would be a mistake. Any coach we appoint, assuming he's not out of his mind, would protect the obvious core players (that Kasper would protect if left on his own). As it is, we're going to be protecting between 2-4 non-essential players (depending on whether you're in the "Olsen/Moreno should retire" club...I'm not, for the record). No one else is going to be very difficult to replace and/or improve upon. I don't think any potential new coach is looking at our roster and thinking that guys like Burch, Jacobson, or Khumalo are essential to the plan.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 3, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Previous post was about Kev29's thoughts on the expansion draft, not chanting for me. Chants for me would become chants for my head pretty quickly.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 3, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Celebration!

Yahoo! This is your celebration
Yahoo! This is your celebration

Celebrate good times, come on! (Let's celebrate)
Celebrate good times, come on! (Let's celebrate)

There's a party goin' on right here
A celebration to last throughout the years
So bring your good times, and your laughter too
We gonna celebrate your party with you

Come on now

Celebration
Let's all celebrate and have a good time
Celebration
We gonna celebrate and have a good time!

Woo!

Posted by: redskinsux | November 3, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

THANK GOODNESS.

If for nothing more than now I do not have to resort to smoking crank. Whew!

I'm already excited for the 2010 season.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 3, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I was going to wonder aloud about Luiz Felipe Scolari being a possibility to replace Soehn, only because I thought, "how happy can he be in Uzbekistan?" Then I saw that he's the highest paid coach in the world. I guess that rules him out.

Are there any Central or South American tacticians that would make a good manager for DC?

Posted by: axman664 | November 3, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

This news is a cause for a great celebration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: GraciasRiquelme | November 3, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, let's go on another South American scouting trip, this time for a coach :)

Posted by: Reignking | November 3, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

First: Thanks for all your hardwork Tommy, best of luck to you and your family in the future (except against united).

Smart move to get out on his terms. He didn't want to get jerked around in a drawn out process that was, at best, 50/50 he would be retained. This is the best possible outcome for all parties, and my hat is off to Soehn for realizing that and pulling the trigger.

Is it really that crazy to suggest a player-coach like Benny? The current prospects are not that appealing, perhaps ride out the off season while he cuts his teeth. If that doesn't work out you have the euro leagues making their coaching moves or even a post-WC appointment.

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | November 3, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

i think you purge fred, emilio, gomez, olsen (respectfully) and moreno (respectfully).
You have to look at keeping youth. Jacobson wasn't a starter but he was pretty good and played a lot of minutes for pennies on the dollar. Same goes with Burch and Khumalo. We have to replace Emilio with a bona-fide striker though. We need goals and we need someone who will force the other teams to fear him!

What about goalkeepers?

Posted by: jsm3 | November 3, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I also see Olsen having a place in the coaching staff.

Posted by: jsm3 | November 3, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF
-------------------------------------------
Wow. Ryan has really fallen off, huh?
No disrepect to the Big Ten intended...

Posted by: yankiboy | November 3, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

to list of must (please, please, please) go:

simms. why is he considered so good. honestly, i just don't see it. all he does is pass the ball back to the player who gave it to him. everyone in the league knows this and steals the ball. our midfield is porous with our 'iron man' out there.

as much as i love jaime, it's time to hang up the boots.

emilio: stop playing with your back to goal; you might score some more goals that way.

Posted by: kinseyjames | November 3, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Is it really that crazy to suggest a player-coach like Benny?
Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1
-------------------------------------------
Yes, Bro--it is.

Almost as crazy as me joking about Greg Ryan...

We aren't SkyBlue FC after they burned through to wack-job coaches and this ain't an indoor ciruit...

Unless the coach gets sacked with a few games to play (and not even then in MLS) could I ever see that being a possibility...

Posted by: yankiboy | November 3, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I do see Olsen n some capacity in the coaching staff. Especially if Williams is the coach. But he is definitely the heart of the team and can help instill the new coaches plan and strategy. He is smart enough and has the respect of the players.
He would also be a link for the young players to step up. This may not be a one year plan if we get rid of all the players that need to go.

Posted by: jsm3 | November 3, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "70s group"?!

"We were just another band out of Boston
On the road just tryin' to make ends meet
Playing all the bars
Sleeping in our cars
And we'd practice right there out in the street..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 3, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

good!

Too bad payne is such as coward he wouldn't fire kasper and himself too.

Wake up ownership!

Posted by: bestmick1 | November 3, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Raise your hand if you saw that coming!

Look forward to hearing more about why he did it.

Posted by: KireDCU | November 3, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Three names not on the list so far....

1. John Harkes (haters - this is your cue)
2. Marco Etchevery - bring back the glory!
3. Earnie Stewart

Posted by: LostinPotomac | November 3, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Tommy,
Mahalo and Aloha

Posted by: DadRyan | November 3, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

First, where's all this "Tom was a good man" business coming from? Have you all forgotten how he used to put players in the doghouse for no good reason? In any case, I don't care that he was a good man. He wasn't hired to be a good man but a good coach. And he wasn't a very good coach. Am glad he's out.

Second, why do people think ex-players automatically make good coaches? Unless Marco has been coaching at some high level, why would he make a good coach just because he was a great player? Even Maradona is having a tough time at it.

Posted by: tundey | November 3, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Thus redeeming my suggestion yesterday that Kevin's remarks did not at all suggest that the team was planning to keep him. In fact, one might conclude that the team was giving him more space to do the right thing.

He did poorly, but he is entitled to credit for stepping down instead of making the team fire him

Posted by: DCUSince96 | November 3, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

i kept waiting to see a comment from SoehntheExit but i guess s/he's passed out from the sheer joy of it all.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | November 3, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

He quit knowing he would be fired. He goes to Philly with his fellow goose-stepper.

Posted by: lgm6986 | November 3, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

1. A classy way to end this. I would not be surprised if he got a hint or two from Payne "it's not looking too good for you Tommy-boy but we'll go through an evaluation process" and rather than be pushed, Soehn jumped. Always better to quit (or withdraw your name) than to be fired (or not chosen).

2. No, I doubt he has another MLS gig lined up--that would be called tampering. Maybe a coaching gig. But given how incestuous the agent think is, I wouldn't be surprised if Piotr Nowak made it known "I'd love to have Tommy Soehn has my first assistant if only he was available (hint, hint)" and word reached Soehn's agent.

In the end, this is the best thing for everyone. No public recrimination about "I didn't get a fair deal". Also, it seems to indicate that Soehn has pride and some intelligence about it all--not just despiration to keep a head coaching job.

3. Chesty--you're a bit extreme on some of your evaluation. I agree with you about Sasho: winning a lot of college games doesn't make you qualified to be a coach. Clarke doesn't tend to play a negative game (though he's otherwise a good coach). I think Preki's "defend first" mantra was born more out of the talent he ended up with--3 years ago Chivas was an attacking banshee when Galindo and Razov were healthy. Onalfo has impressed at most levels except the ability to get a finisher with KC. Turning around EJ counts for something my book. Richie has no experience? He's twice had to take over someone's droppings of a crap team and he turned it around both times--toughest head coaching job ever in MLS and he's done it twice successfully plus been a long-term assistant. I don't get the interest in John Harkes. Heck--if you want John Harkes, why not through in Balboa, Lalas and Dooley's names as well--they have about as much experience as coaches, all have strong personalities and all played on the "94 WC team.

Posted by: JoeW1 | November 3, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

It was time for a change. You could see some tension between coach and players at games. I hope DC united gives some thought to Richie Williams.

Posted by: Verdeball | November 3, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Thank God.

Posted by: Matte | November 3, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | November 3, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Haha. Actually I've been fighting H1N1 and thought I was having delusions of sanity. Goodnight and good luck Tommy Soehn. Nothing personnel just futbol. Cheers.

Posted by: SoehntheExit | November 3, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

This is a classy, upright way to end the relationship. Best of Luck to TS in the future and hope his replacement can " win us some trophies"

Posted by: patrick18 | November 3, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Mr. Soehn for your efforts. Never knew you personally but trust those on here who say you're a nice guy. Good luck in your next venture.

I believe I speak for a few on here when I say it was never personal in terms of a direct attack on you, mr. Soehn. Like I said I don't personally know you. Our love for this great club, our hunger for it's success and its glory - our love for our tradition - led to the voceferous calls for your sacking/resignation. So in that sense it was personal. You have invested time, blood and sweat in this club too and for that we thank you, Sir.

Good luck.

This may be too soon, but it is quite clear that Soehn was notour only problem. Part of the problem? Yes. But not our ONLY problem. Nowwe move on to the players...

Posted by: Kosh2 | November 3, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Heh, look at you suckers keepin' it classy.

I say, DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD!

Posted by: Shmenge | November 3, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Hehe. My thoughts exactly. When I logged on and saw this, my fist pump was so epic that I nearly punched my ceiling (which is approximately 9 feet). My victory yell startled my dog who was sleeping by my chair and brought my wife, who had been busy fixing dinner, running into the room to see if I had hurt myself or something.

I'm off to go listen to "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)" by Green Day and jump around like a gleeful little schoolgirl with a jump rope and pigtails.

Posted by: kdiff813 | November 3, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Thank God. This guy was a complete donkey. He couldnt teach the team how to play with 4 in the back or with 3 in the back.

And lets pray that this means the end of Chad Ashton's career at DC United. He has to be the worst staff addition since Hudson had Steve Trask.

Posted by: vthokies1 | November 4, 2009 7:10 AM | Report abuse

One more time.
Thank the soccer gods that this guy is out. I will now renew my season tickets.

Posted by: vthokies1 | November 4, 2009 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Thou cutt'st my head off with a golden axe, And smilest upon the stroke that murders me.

Romeo and Juliet, Act 3, Scene 3.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | November 4, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse