Video: Keane on Henry

Irishman Roy Keane takes a contrarian view of the Thierry Henry handball controversy and, in typical feisty and combative style, offers a variety of rants. "They should have cleared it. The ball bounced in the six-yard box. ... Would I call him a cheat? Nah, I wouldn't think so. Did he bend the rules a little bit? Yeah. ... France was there for the taking and Ireland never grabbed it. Usual stuff. Afraid of that next step. Mentally not strong enough. They can complain all they want. France is going to the World Cup: Get over it."

By Steve Goff  |  November 20, 2009; 12:19 PM ET
Categories:  France , Ireland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Kickaround
Next: Olsen to Retire

Comments

How much does Fifa pay him?

Posted by: AshburnUnited | November 20, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

man that guy sounds like a ---, seems like he always was to be in the spotlight.

Posted by: Norteno4life | November 20, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

once a snake, always a snake.

Posted by: troy6 | November 20, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

It's been interesting to hear the views of different folks on the Henry incident.

For me, it provided a teaching moment for my three kids. In our Christian worldview, we try to do all things to glorify God, including athletics. Fight hard and clean, and whatever happens, happens. Walk off the pitch knowing you gave your best, and thank God for the ability to perform.

Did Henry do that? Team Doc agrees the answer is "no." No glory or honor in the victory. Just the victory.

I realize that some go with "If you ain't cheating, you're not trying hard enough." We just don't subscribe to that in our household. But it's important for us to know that some people do, so we're not surprised when it happens.

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 20, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Well I guess Thierry Henry and John O'Brien will burn in Hell together.

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | November 20, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

The enemy of my enemy, Jack Warner, is my friend.

Posted by: Reignking | November 20, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Typical roy keane no excuses... tough questions.... thought he was going to come off the podium and take away that ringing cell phone!!

Posted by: causmos | November 20, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

That was Alfie Haaland calling on the cell phone. He tries reaching out to Roy all the time.

Posted by: Section304 | November 20, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, and if whoever took that shot in 02 puts it a foot to the right, it doesn't hit Frings' arm, and we're still bragging about that game.

Henry cheated, whether the goalie closed him down or not means nothing to me.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 20, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Here's what I think is being missed. Refereeing is difficult enough when the players are playing honest. When they are intentionally cheating, the ref doesn't have a chance. But I believe that FIFA has established a recourse--players can be charged with bringing the game into disrepute. I do not understand why Henry is not being charged for an intentional foul (is "infringement" the right word there?) that the refereee did not see in the run of play. It seems to me that Henry's presence at the WC should be seriously at risk right now...

Posted by: glfrazier | November 20, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I love Keane. Come to DCU as an assistant and whip these boys into shape mentally!!!

Posted by: torrey151 | November 20, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Is there a way we can get a feed in to watch every Roy Keane press conference? Just mesmorizing, especially the bit with the cell phone. Have to love a man who goes through life not with the attitude of 'I don't care if you like me' but with 'I want you to NOT like me'.

Posted by: daandre3 | November 20, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

The Irish got jobbed, no doubt. But Keane is right and this is why it's so important to proactively win games when you have the chance and not let the bad calls kill you. If Ireland would have scored more goals the hand ball is a non-issue.

Posted by: JRandomReader | November 20, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow! I've never really heard Keane speak, and he sure dominates the frame! That part with the cell phone ringing is priceless!

I finally went and watched the clip, and my question is what the heck was the Irish defender #13 doing?

Posted by: edgeonyou | November 20, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I give Keane credit for calling out Ireland for not doing what THEY needed to do to win the game -- defensively and offensively.

But I think Keane's wrong about Henry not cheating. Henry did cheat, assuming that intentionally breaking the rules to gain an advantage = cheating. I think it does.

If they ever make "The Departed II" they need to give Keane a role.

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 20, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

i still think henry is a cheat, but roy is fantastic, as ever.

too bad he can't do jack with ipswich.

Posted by: HWLongfellow | November 20, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to need a USL/TOA refresher course after all of this is over.

Posted by: sitruc | November 20, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

@Section304

Yeah, really. They should do what Roy would've done: wait until the next time they play France, deliberately destroy Henry's knee, and then stand over him and taunt him while he writhes in pain.

Oh, and then write about it in their memoirs.

Or, Roy Keane could just STFU. That would work, too.

Posted by: EdTheRed | November 20, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Ha ha, the reporter's telephone going off at about the 3:30 mark, and Keane's reaction is hilarious. "Well, why don't you turn it off? It's the second time it's gone off."

Posted by: delantero | November 20, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

If they ever make "The Departed II" they need to give Keane a role.
Posted by: joedoc1
===============

That was a Southie accent?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 20, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I have no idea if that's a Southie accent. But I figure Keane's standard facial expression is good enough to earn him a role as an Irish mob hit man.

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 20, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I was listening to an interview to Henry in Sky Sports and he said: "Les Irlandais sont une bande de poules mouillées. Je n'aime pas ce que les Irlandais pensent, nous allons en Afrique du Sud".

Posted by: fedster | November 20, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

The enemy of my enemy, Jack Warner, is my friend.

Posted by: Reignking | November 20, 2009 1:36 PM

Seconded!

Posted by: CDRHoek | November 20, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I was listening to an interview to Henry in Sky Sports...

Posted by: fedster

I'm glad I went to babblefish for that one--"a bunch of wet hens" was beyond my HS French! :-)

Posted by: glfrazier | November 20, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

I guess the truest karmic justice would be if France got put in a group with Algeria and then lost that game on some sketchy call.

Posted by: edgeonyou | November 20, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Roy Keane always has been, is now and always will be, a lying, cheating, worthless waste of a human being.

Posted by: dtduffy | November 20, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Great player, but what a bitter, miserable, nasty piece of work. Lousy manager too, if you look at how he walked away from the mess he made at Sunderland and what he has done so far at Ipswich.

Posted by: popoki08 | November 22, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse