Barcelona-Madrid Video, NCAA Update

Highlights from Barcelona's 1-0 victory over Real Madrid, a result that sent the Catalans to the top of La Liga's table:

*Virginia's 10th consecutive shutout lifted the second-seeded Cavaliers into the quarterfinals against reigning champion Maryland on Friday at 7 p.m. in Charlottesville. Read about Virginia's 1-0 victory over Portland.

The other pairings:
#1 Akron vs. #8 Tulsa
#5 North Carolina vs. Drake
#3 Wake Forest vs. #6 UCLA

The complete bracket with results and linksis here.

By Steve Goff  |  November 29, 2009; 8:42 PM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , Spain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sunday Matchday
Next: Americans Abroad

Comments

Barcelona!

Posted by: douglasquaid | November 29, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Any chance the VA/MD game will be on tv?

Posted by: DadRyan | November 29, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Ibra clearly offside on the first goal...

Posted by: andrew23 | November 29, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Oklahoma, that hotbed of soccer in America.

I guess Akron's no fluke, then...

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | November 29, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

I feel so bad about even thinking about making a joke about Drake being a Canadian and competing in a NCAA event that I'm posting this so I'm open to public ridicule.

Posted by: sitruc | November 29, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Well done sitruc.

Posted by: sire1 | November 29, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Ibra clearly offside on the first goal...

Posted by: andrew23 | November 29, 2009 10:04 PM
------------------------------------------------------

There was only the one goal in Barcelona.

As for the NCAAs -- I"m relly looking forward to the Maryban-UVA match. The other pairings seem too one-sided to produce much drama. I see 4 or 5 teams capable of winning the championship, though I give the nod to the eastern winner (either Wake, UVA or, less likely, Marland).

Posted by: fischy | November 30, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Someone lie and say that they were pulling for Madrid. Even though is all I got to see of the match (drove back from Thanksgiving) I gave a fist pump when Ibra put in that emphatic winner.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | November 30, 2009 12:58 AM | Report abuse

I was pulling for Madrid, and I'm not even lying.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 30, 2009 1:56 AM | Report abuse

MOTM was Pujols, IMNSHO.

Posted by: ldmay | November 30, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I remember when some Virginia fans were complaining about Steve's alleged Maryland bias in terms of blog items. I hope they look at the match report and notice that it's all about Virgina and the Maryland result was a footnote.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 30, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Ibra clearly offside on the first goal...

Posted by: andrew2

This strong Barca fan agrees offside, but not clearly. Just a thigh's worth, easy to see how the AR -- standing on the OPPOSITE side of the field -- could have missed it.

Still, one heckuva goal.

Posted by: DCUSince96 | November 30, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Booo! At least it was competitive, although Real with the man advantage so long should have done much better, or at least finished better. Not a bad result away from home though playing open and attacking instead of like chelsea last year against Barca. I can't stand them! They are so catalan in their arrogance.

Speaking of which i almost wish that those catalans would get their wish and get independence just so they couldn't play in La Liga anymore......except what i really want is Real to play and beat them every year.

Posted by: Brian76 | November 30, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 30, 2009 10:51 AM
__________________________________________

I don't understand why that note said that the Terps "surprised" Harvard. I hope that was the wire service's language, not Goff's. The only people who should be surprised are the clueless members of the selection committee who failed to give Maryland a higher seed.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 30, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Maryland Upsets Harvard should be the headline in the school newspaper.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 30, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Ibra clearly offside on the first goal...

===

Maybe by a head as well as a thigh. Tough call though. Basically a 50/50 guess, since the AR looked to be a touch upfield and screened.

Posted by: mason08 | November 30, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse