Wednesday Kickaround

*After more than two years of matches, qualifying for the 2010 World Cup ends today with the final six berths at stake:

France carries a one-goal advantage into the second leg against Ireland in Saint-Denis (2:45 p.m. ET, select bars and restaurants for a cover charge). Greece is on the road against Ukraine after a scoreless tie in the opener (1 p.m., ESPN2). Portugal visits Bosnia with a 1-0 lead (2:45 p.m., Setanta; 9 p.m. ESPN Deportes) and Russia is in Slovenia with a 2-1 edge (2:45 p.m., Setanta Xtra on DirecTV; 5 p.m. Setanta).

Costa Rica faces a one-goal deficit heading into the return leg against Uruguay in Montevideo (7 p.m. ET, bars/restaurants).

Egypt and Algeria face one another in a special group playoff in Sudan (12:30 p.m.), where 15,000 security officers are in place in attempt to deter violence between feuding supporters.

*The USA friendly at Denmark can be seen live at 2:30 p.m. on ESPN Classic. After the Ukraine-Greece coverage, ESPN2 will join the USA match in progress.

*USA forward Kenny Cooper will be sidelined three weeks with a knee injury, a considerably shorter absence than first feared by 1860 Munich.

*The quarterfinal pairings for the CONCACAF Champions League are set: Columbus vs. Toluca, Pachuca-Comunicaciones, Pumas-Marathon and Cruz Azul-Arabe Unido. The two legs will be played March 9-11 and 16-18.

*Following up our report that the Crew has asked Guillermo Barros Schelotto to take a significant salary cut, the club said it would not comment on ongoing negotiations. The Columbus Dispatch quoted the Argentine star as saying the sides are "far apart" in contract talks.

*The Insider has learned that D.C. United is in talks to re-hire fitness coach Randy Rocha, who was with the club a few years ago before joining Peter Nowak's Olympic staff.

*The weather forecast for MLS Cup in Seattle on Sunday evening: low 40s, 40 percent chance of rain.

*RSL conquers the Space Needle:
reallogo.JPG

By Steve Goff  |  November 18, 2009; 8:41 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , CONCACAF Champions League , D.C. United , MLS , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Schelotto's Status
Next: Red Bulls' Sporting Director?

Comments

Ha ha, the Ukraine. Do you know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting
duck. A road apple, Steven. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's
time to put the hurt on the Ukraine.

Posted by: Reignking | November 18, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

If you get ESPN360 online, they will also have the Ukraine/Greece and US/Denmark games live. They are also in the midst of showing the Beach Football World Cup. I'd never seen a beach game, and it was kind of interesting -- Solomon Islands upset Uruguay in the game I watched!

The game I really really want to see is the Algeria one, hopefully the internet pirates can hook me up, although I'm not super hopeful considering the game is in Sudan. Come on Desert Foxes!

Posted by: edgeonyou | November 18, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

You not say Ukraine weak!

Posted by: HowdyDCU | November 18, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how concerned Greece will be with the new superflu that has emerged in western Ukraine

Posted by: Wiggan | November 18, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Anybody hear the NPR report this morning about South Africa's police? Poor PR for 2010.

'Fikile Mbalula, the deputy police minister, told parliamentarians . . . bystanders inevitably will be victims.

' "When you are caught in a situation of combat with criminals, you will understand that innocent people are going to die, not deliberately, but even in the exchange of firepower, you will actually be caught on the wrong side," he said.'

"Inevitable victims," "combat," "firepower" . . . someone must have handed him the war script instead of the public safety script.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | November 18, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

The NY Times did a piece on the Arizona Woman's Soccer player (Elizabeth Lambert) who was suspended for those awful fouls that made the youtube and sports segment rounds.

Posted by: amwehl | November 18, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully the Wa Post will be springing for Goff's bullet proof vest...

Posted by: DadRyan | November 18, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: amwehl | November 18, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

She cleans up nice.

Posted by: TwinCity | November 18, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I should clarify--by "she cleans up nice" I was noting the stark contrast between the viciousness of her actions at the game and the apparent serenity in her photo. We probably all forgot that she has this other, non-soccer life.

My first comment didn't come off as I intended--apologies.

Posted by: TwinCity | November 18, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: amwehl

She cleans up nice.
Posted by: TwinCity

I see a WWF stint in the making.

Posted by: delantero | November 18, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

That's sounds like an all-around pleasant event - any tickets available?

Oh and here's the Irish site where you can listen to the France match while pretending to work...

Posted by: Kev29 | November 18, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

The Space Needle is such a w hore.

Perhaps they didn't have quite as many as the Soehn tenure, but didn't United have quite a few injuries during the Nowak era?

Posted by: sitruc | November 18, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I would have to agree that some of those BYU players were pushing that girl around. The chick that got yanked down by her hair looked like she was trying to rip Lamberts shorts off, and the chick she punched had elbowed her in the chest. Her retaliation was a little off the hook, but this does seem like a bit of a witch hunt.
Kind of pathetic that the biggest women's soccer story of 09 is this.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 18, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I would barely call that an "elbow to the chest," though. It did not merit the retaliation. Witch hunt? If I were to pull someone's hair like that I'd be prepared to get arrested and charged with assault.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | November 18, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

And I would never elbow Chest.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | November 18, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

As a further expression of contrition, Elizabeth Lambert must meet with leaders of the National Ponytail Anti-Defamation League.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 18, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

And I would never elbow Chest.
Posted by: fallschurch1
============

You say that now, but if he tugged on your ponytail or shorts, your actions may be different.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 18, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Space Needle? Sew what? What's the point?

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 18, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

The Space Needle uses string theory to fix tears in the space time continuum. OK?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 18, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1

Sounders supporters would have you believe that the Space Needle created the space time continuum.

Posted by: VTUnited | November 18, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Space needles? Sew? String?

You guys are a stitch!

I think we need a new thread.

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 18, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Good lord, DadRyan. Why not just say "they were dressed like they wanted it"? That seems about as ludicrous.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | November 18, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Kind of pathetic that the biggest women's soccer story of 09 is this.

Posted by: DadRyan |

Posted by: Brian76 | November 18, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

If grabbing someone's shorts or jersey were adequate justification for pulling her down by the ponytail (on the soccer field perverts), then all women soccer players would shave their heads.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 18, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Not sure where else to put this, but FYI I notice the Algeria-Egypt is going to be streaming live on fifa.com:

Posted by: flike | November 18, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Now, I'm not usually afraid of heights but damn the angle of that space needle picture kinda made my head spin. It may be because of the downward slope and the fact the workers have just a harness protecting them. Nonetheless pretty sweet idea to promote the game. I assume LA will have a their crest up there, too. If not they need to get on that!

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | November 18, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Yessirree, Real Salt Lake put their shield where all the city will be able to see it. This is a great moment for Real and MLS -- Oh, wait...

Posted by: Ron16 | November 18, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

The only female soccer player that I can even remotely conceive of shaving her head is Natasha Kai.

Which would open up a whole new canvas for her ink.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 18, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

@ TwinCity - she's from New Mexico, man...not Arizona. No girl from Arizona can fight like that!

Posted by: soccerman | November 18, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

TwinCity, sorry that was meant for amwehl!

Posted by: soccerman | November 18, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

From the photo, the RSL badge seems to be place on the top surface of the disc part of the Space Needle. Who'll see it there? Reporters in traffic helicopters? Seaplanes taking off from Lake Washington?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 18, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Exactly what I thought, 270.

Ukraine is game to you?! Howbout I take your little board and smash
it!!

I can't help but think of that Seinfeld bit when I hear Ukraine.

Posted by: Reignking | November 18, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

@Soccerman--I was going to say--I feel a little distracted today, but I had no clue what you were talking about.

Posted by: TwinCity | November 18, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

WTF are you talking about meltzer? Did you read her account of the game? This girl's punishment is far exceeding her mistakes. The ref, idiots posting her phone number, etc. is a bigger injustice than anything she did on the field. I blame the ref for not establishing control of the game well before any of what was caught on video took place.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 18, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Algeria parking the bus way too early and way too deep on their half -- no way they finish the game with 11 on the field...

Posted by: edgeonyou | November 18, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

yo, DR, I respectfully disagree. I don't think she should be reinstated and I think UNM should be banned from postseason play next year. I do agree that idiots posting her parents' number on the net is a complete pendejo move (don't you love that the sensors don't block Spanish words?).

Of course, I have a game Sunday and I might feel differently if someone hacks me and I feel the need to retaliate. Which I usually do...

Posted by: troy6 | November 18, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

fallschurch1:

So you aren't the guy that elbowed me in the throat with the ball at the other end of the field a while back? That's good, because I'm not really fond of that guy.

***

This may be solely the result of looking back with rose-colored glasses, but Nowak's teams seemed fitter than Soehn's. I don't mean a lack of injuries; I mean who's winning that loose ball in stoppage time. That could be more related to the intensity of the coach (the only people who could really answer that would be the players and staff), but if Rocha was good enough to help the national team out he can probably help DC out too.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 18, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Look I didn't see the whole game, but I really don't think the girl should have the rest of her college career ruined over the incident.
She deserves discipline, but she's just a kid, not a pro. The pros (ref,coaches,etc) let the game get out of control, and unless I watched the whole game, or a responsibly edited tape that isn't filled with deceptive sequencing( read her quotes about the ball being kicked in the face of the girl on the ground, by a team mate) Im just not going there.
You guys are backing up everything she says in her interview: the incident is being blown WAY out of proportion, and she's being subjected to cruel and unusual punishment. Meanwhile jerks world wide either want her life ruined or want to date her...
If she was a pro, I'd say fine, but she's just a college kid who isn't even old enough to drink legally.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 18, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Algeria and Greece are going to the World Cup

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | November 18, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

If you Real(ly) want to see the RSL logo on the Space Needle, Ukraine your neck and look up.

(how'zat for tying up threads, people?)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | November 18, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan: what I'm talking about is that you said "I would have to agree that some of those BYU players were pushing that girl around. The chick that got yanked down by her hair looked like she was trying to rip Lamberts shorts off, and the chick she punched had elbowed her in the chest." Those are your words, and those words overstate the actions Lambert responded to, and minimize what she did in response.

Other people may indeed be absurdly overreacting to what happened -- but that's irrelevant to my claim that your 'they had it comin''-type description is off-base.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | November 18, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

And France advances to the World Cup... on a pair of horrendous non-calls. Perhaps the homer in me (Ireland fan here) sees the offsides call as being obvious, but the BLATANT handling of the ball before Henry taps the ball across the goalmouth... JAYSUS, man!

Theiry Henry... farcez vous.

Posted by: freeholdsouth | November 18, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Chris, how do you know? You watched a condensed video, and her interview indicates she was being, taunted, called names, etc.
My opinion isn't base-less, it's based of the story that was linked and Lambert's own words, along with the video "evidence".

Posted by: DadRyan | November 19, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse