Weekend TV Listings

What are you going to watch?
FRIDAY

MLS playoffs, Los Angeles-Chivas USA 7:30 p.m. ESPN2
MONDAY
England, Barnsley-Sheffield United 2:40 p.m. Setanta
England, Birmingham City-Liverpool 2:55 p.m. ESPN2

By Steve Goff  |  November 5, 2009; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Kickaround
Next: Crew-RSL Countdown

Comments

It's a shame networks hate soccer and there isn't more to watch ;-)

Posted by: Kev29 | November 5, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

That's why ATDHE.net exists.

Posted by: bighungry | November 5, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Now that I (finally) have it, anything in HD. I realized last night I'll watch the newest Nostradamus thing on the History cause it was in HD

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 5, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Most of these games will be unwatchable... for me because I only have FSC and ESPN2.

Did Nostradamus predict HDTV too?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 5, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I might try to catch Arsenal on Saturday. They're one of the two best teams to watch, along with Barcelona. Then, I'll watch the ManUtd-Chelsea tilt, because it's hard to imagine a more compelling match. And, I'll try to catch the MLS Superclasico on Sunday, because I can see more jaw-droppingly bad defense...and I'm actually interested in seeing which team wins. Can't say that about most MLS playoffs. So, stop bashing Beckham.

Posted by: fischy | November 5, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Nostradamus did predict HDTV, but he totally missed the boat on FSC and ESPN2. He did, however, predict Soehn's resignation, and he did predict "the small man from the land of Sopranos would follow him". Clearly, this means Ritchie Williams will be the next DCU coach.

Posted by: fischy | November 5, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Is there a pattern as to when ESPN/ESPN2 shows the Spanish Liga on Sundays? I would at least expect them to show the Madrid derby but it is on ESPN Deportes instead.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | November 5, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Sat smashball

Ohio State @ Penn State
LSU @ Alabama

Sun kickball

NCAA women, ACC final (if UNC is playing)
NCAA women, SEC final (if Gators are playing)

Posted by: OWNTF | November 5, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Now that I (finally) have it, anything in HD.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 5, 2009 12:27 PM

England, Spurs-Sunderland 9:55 a.m. ESPN2 (won't quite be in HD, but it will still look nice)
MLS playoffs, Los Angeles-Chivas USA 7:30 p.m. ESPN2

Pretty slim, but those are decent matches

Posted by: Kev29 | November 5, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Nostradamus says two months till Fox Soccer in HD...

Posted by: Kev29 | November 5, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Dempsey in the team, Johnson not in 18 for Fulham (underway) in Rome...

Posted by: Kev29 | November 5, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Actually, this Saturday is Colgate men at American at 1pm.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 5, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

"Ronaldo reportedly may be out up to 3 months"

serve real madrid right.

Posted by: troy6 | November 5, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

My daughter's team, in the Raleigh Shootout.

I just hope American doesn't just brush off Colgate. American may be cresting into the post-season, but they can't just floss over this important game. If they're crowned champions, I'll be rooting for them.

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 5, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I've had just a glance at the Fulham Roma match and Dempsey is all over the pitch. The Live minute to minute looks like it was written by his mum, he's so involved.

Actual text into the BBC:

"Clint Dempsey has to be one of the biggest bargains ever pulled off in the Premier League. A poor man's Ronaldo, really."

I think he might be over-egging the pudding, but Clint is having a blinder...

Posted by: JkR- | November 5, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

If that's true, JkR, then this only confirms my suspicion that Dempsey looks down his nose at his US Soccer teammates, as they are not good enough to play with him.

I have no evidence, and because this is the Internet, I don't need any to make the accusation. But it is based on watching his "effort" during National Team games, almost like he doesn't care.

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 5, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Well Joedoc, I would never go so far as to imply someone didn't care.

I would instead say someone is playing without confidence; unsure of where to run or stand with this group of players, for example.

That said, in the second half, he's reverted to form. But probably because Fulham had a striker sent off at 49' and he's all alone up front and hasn't seen the ball in a place where he can do something.

Posted by: JkR- | November 5, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Nostradamus predicted this thread and that Clint Dempsey would be praised by some and castigated by others in it.

He even wrote JoeDoc's Colgate pun but it didn't sound as funny in High Renaissance French.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 5, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I believe the reason Dempsey plays better on his club team than USMNT is due to attacking resources. His role is more limited on the USMNT because there are other attacking options like Davies, Altidore, Donovan, i.e., they don't need to depend on him as much as Fulham does for creativity. At Fulham, only he and Duff provide the creatvity spark, thus he has more time/touches on the ball; otherwise Fulham are pretty drab to watch. If Fulham were to go out and get Robben, Ribery, Ronaldo, then Dempsey would see less of the ball and be less of a factor.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | November 5, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Villarreal are getting it back together...

Posted by: Reignking | November 5, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

@ JacobfromAtlanta-ish

I hear you on the HD thing. I would rather watchy the Home and Garden Network in HD than The Simpsons on regular def.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | November 5, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

ESPN's Sunday/Monday listings updated.....

Posted by: Steve Goff | November 5, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse