Weymouth Joins Cup Effort

Washington Post publisher Katharine Weymouth has accepted an invitation to join the board of directors for the USA Bid Committee seeking to host the 2018 or '22 World Cup. (Read her bio.)

The board is largely ceremonial and also includes, among others, Disney President Robert Iger, comedian and soccer investor Drew Carey, MLS godfather Phil Anschutz, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger as well as Landon Donovan and Mia Hamm.

"Katharine's understanding of national and global media platforms as well as the importance of a sound, effective message is a welcome addition," said Sunil Gulati, chairman of the committee and president of the USSF. "Katharine is also a visionary who, with three young children, fully understands the legacy that a World Cup in the United States would deliver for future generations."

To review: USA, Australia, England, Indonesia, Japan and Russia have expressed interest in hosting the 2018 or '22 World Cup. Netherlands-Belgium and Portugal-Spain have planned joint bids. Qatar and South Korea are focused on 2022 only. Formal applications are due May 14, 2010. The sites will be named in December 2010.

For more information, see the USA bid committee's Web site.

By Steve Goff  |  November 2, 2009; 11:01 AM ET
Categories:  USA World Cup bid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Kickaround
Next: MLS Awards Finalists Are .....

Comments

How does this affect the Post's coverage of the bid, given that there is a potential conflict of interest if you wish to criticize the committee's efforts, even if ceremonial?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 2, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

With South Africa 2010 and Brazil 2014, it's hard to imagine Europe not getting 2018, with England and Russia as favorites. USA should focus on 2022.

Posted by: wmsiii | November 2, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Go Qatar bid!

Posted by: Longgoneposter | November 2, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I predict Indonesia in 2018 and Qatar in 2022.

Posted by: SSMD1 | November 2, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

hottie

Posted by: J_S_F | November 2, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Just like Obama's star power was supposed to put the shine on Chicago's Olympic bid, I'm sure that Henry Kissinger's imprimatur will thrill lots of people internationally like, oh, well, er, um, maybe, uh...

Posted by: Modibo | November 2, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Legitimate question in the first comment, but I do wonder what these committees actually do other than schmooze FIFA execs.

Posted by: Jooseppi | November 2, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I-270 -- a conflict of interest would apply to praising, not criticizing, the committee's efforts, right?

Goff can tear the Committee to shreds . . .

Posted by: fallschurch1 | November 2, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Sepp Blatter's mind is in the Qatar.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 2, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jooseppi | November 2, 2009 12:27 PM

Huge Payoffs!!! Salt Lake City-style. Guarantee the Cup coming here. It's what The Post's Salon-style interview/roundtables were supposed to lead to.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | November 2, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Off topic but pretty funny from Jozy Alitidore on twitter:

Posted by: spikeman | November 2, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

no wonder he's late to the stadium...

Posted by: DadRyan | November 2, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

How about a combined USA-Australia bid?

How about those Philli-

Oh, wait...

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 2, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I see nowhere in her bio "soccer fan" or "frequents United/Freedom matches" . . . sounds like a resume builder . ..

Posted by: delantero | November 2, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

When I first saw the headline, I thought it was a reference to Tina Weymouth:

Posted by: universityandpark | November 2, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

@UandP -- they are related to one another

Posted by: OWNTF | November 2, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

@UandP you stole my idea! @OWNTF Interesting, didn't know that!

I think we should promise a Talking Heads reunion if FIFA gives us the world cup. I'd think Katharine Weymouth could hook something like that up.

Posted by: greifie | November 2, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Wonder how Goff missed this important story :) but thanks to the Post's Celebritology blog for covering this soccer related "news"

Joe Jackson & Ronaldo are teaming up to sell grills: http://www.tmz.com/2009/11/01/ronaldo-joe-jackson-grill-soccer/

Posted by: emanon13 | November 2, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

One of the greatest shows ever. Thanks, Tina. This show was before they shot Stop Making Sense, but if memory serves the playlist was about the same.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 2, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "Joe Jackson"?!

"Pretty soon now
You know I'm gonna make a comeback
And like the birds and the bees in the trees
It's a sure-fire smash
I'll speak
To the masses through the media
And if you got anything to say to me
You can say it with cash
'Cause I've got the trash and you got the cash
So baby we should get along fine
So give me all your money 'cause I know you think I'm funny
Can't you hear me laughing
Can't you see me smile..."

Joe Jackson, "I'm the Man," 1979

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 2, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | November 2, 2009 2:18 PM
_______________________________________

Perhaps she will be a late bloomer, just like Don Garber, who admits to not having been a soccer fan while attending SUNY-Oneonta, at a time when they were actually something of a powerhouse, in Division I no less. (They have since dropped back to DIII, I believe.)

Posted by: universityandpark | November 2, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

@OWNTF -- Grrumble Grrumble. I've always been bitter about missing the Forest Hills show. My parents insisted I accompany them for dinner with relatives on the Island that we hadn't seen in years. We get there and it turns out the daughter is at the show....

Posted by: fischy | November 2, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Actually, the two Weymouths were related by a marriage that ended many years ago. As to whether they still regard each other as aunt and niece or whatever their relationship was, you'll have to ask them.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 2, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

So can the Post's music critic review any of Tina Weymouth's music without a conflict of interest?

@fallschurch1: Praise can be coerced and criticism can be punished.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 2, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Given current history, the U.S. bid will fall as flat on its face as the Sunday Source.

Posted by: bs2004 | November 6, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse