Cup Qualifying Nears End

Just over a week from now, the 32-nation field for the 2010 World Cup will be complete. As it stands, 23 are in and nine slots remain.

IN

CONCACAF: United States, Mexico, Honduras.
SOUTH AMERICA: Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, Argentina.
ASIA: Japan, South Korea, Australia, North Korea.
AFRICA: South Africa (host), Ghana, Ivory Coast.
EUROPE: Netherlands, England, Serbia, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, Slovakia, Denmark, Spain.

UNRESOLVED GROUP PLAY
AFRICA
Group A: Cameroon (10 points) or Gabon (9). Lions can clinch with victory at Morocco (3) Saturday, but loss or tie opens door for Gabon, which finishes at Togo (5).
Group B: Tunisia (11) or Nigeria (9). Tunisia clinches with victory at Mozambique (4) Saturday, but loss or tie opens door for Nigeria, which finishes at Kenya (3).
Group C: Algeria (13) or Egypt (10). Egypt hosts Algeria Saturday, needing to win by two goals to force possible playoff.

PLAYOFFS
CONCACAF-South America
Costa Rica vs. Uruguay: Saturday in San Jose, Wed. in Montevideo.
Oceania-Asia
New Zealand vs. Bahrain: Saturday in Wellington (first leg was 0-0).
Europe
Ireland vs. France: Saturday in Dublin, Wednesday in Saint-Denis.
Portugal vs. Bosnia: Saturday in Lisbon, Wednesday in Zenica.
Greece vs. Ukraine: Saturday in Athens, Wednesday in Donetsk.
Russia vs. Slovenia: Saturday in Moscow, Wednesday in Maribor.

I'm going with Cameroon, Tunisia, Algeria, Uruguay, New Zealand, France, Portugal, Ukraine and Russia. Your thoughts?

The draw will take place Dec. 4 in Cape Town.

By Steve Goff  |  November 10, 2009; 12:30 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NCAA Women's Pairings
Next: Tuesday Kickaround

Comments

I am going with Costa Rica over Uruguay. CONCACAF is stronger than people think. I also think Cameroon going into Morocco will be tough.

Posted by: alan19 | November 10, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't look good if we want to watch any of the final qualifying matches on the traditional outlets. The "going out of business" Setenta seems to have the corner on the market.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | November 10, 2009 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Very bummed that Bosnia has to play Portugal. Do I need to put on a tinfoil hat, or does it seem like FIFA wants certain countries to get there?

Posted by: lrg1231 | November 10, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Up the Irish. And for the sake of everything good and true in the world, Bosnia to win and keep Ronaldo at the neach this summer

Posted by: Liverbird | November 10, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

lrg1231, but segregating the pool, they did the best that they could.

Ryan Nelsen is in form (goal this weekend!) -- he can lead NZ.

Posted by: Reignking | November 10, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

If anyone knows what games will be shown on watch channel that would be great. I know uruguay vs costa rica will not be on tv but are there any internet feeds for that game??? does the adthe thing work for these games?

Posted by: Norteno4life | November 10, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

ATDHE.Net should have feeds of anything that's "on" in theory Norteno4life. The link 9nine9 provided above should give you an idea of what should be available.

Does Ireland have any chance of getting past France?

Posted by: DadRyan | November 10, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I had a dream last night that contained a bit about New Zealand advancing after extra time via a 117th minute goal from Ryan Nelsen. So, obviously you can bet the farm on that.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 10, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

An Algerian cabbie in Houston recently told me:

1. The MLS team is the Dinn-a-mo, not the Dine-a-mo, and they will win MLS Cup this year.

2. Algeria will be through to South Africa.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 10, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

AFRICA :: Gabon, Tunisia, Algeria
CONCACAF/CONMEBOL :: Uruguay
OCEANIA/ASIA :: New Zealand
UEFA :: Ireland, Bosnia, Ukraine, Russia

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | November 10, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

So Goff picked all the favorites. Can't say I blame him, but there's gotta be at least one upset, right? I pick Bahrain to upset New Zealand in Wellington, and Greece to surprise Ukraine. Cameroon is no lock, but I'll pick them to win, too.

Posted by: WorldCup | November 10, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

As much as I love to watch Deco and Nani Go Bosnia. The world cup doesn't need the antics of C.Ronaldo. I'm still ticked off about how he "played" in the champions league final.

Posted by: TheDane1 | November 10, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I'll pick the gritty Bahrainians to advance. A 1-1 draw gets them through.

Posted by: Cerealman | November 10, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Steve, I like your picks. I'm not completely sold on Portugal without Cristiano Ronaldo, though, against the savvy Bosnians -- call it 50/50.

Has New Zealand ever made the WC? If not, sure would be nice to see them make it this time.

Posted by: tgrahame1 | November 10, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Yes, just looked it up....the Kiwis played in the 1982 WC in Spain....the only one they've made up to, perhaps, this one.

Posted by: tgrahame1 | November 10, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I am kind of excited about the prospect of seeing Uruguay play in the infamous Estadio Ricardo Saprissa. I am also really interested to hear about the Uruguayan players' take on the stadium and atmosphere. A Costa Rica win at home and in aggregate would be a big boost for CONCACAF.

BTW, can anyone identify a strong national team from outside the region that has played a CONCACAF team in North America (excluding the U.S. and Canada)? I am not saying it hasn't happened, I am really just soliciting info.

Posted by: TwinCity | November 10, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

No way Uruguay beats Costa Rica.

Posted by: ZeroHero0 | November 10, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

AFRICA; Cameroon gets in with a late winner, Nigeria sneaks in with a win when Tunisia stumbles to a late draw, Egypt will hammer Algeria 3-0 and get in on the head to head rule;

Uruguay
New Zealand
Ireland
Portugal
Ukraine
Russia

Posted by: obiohao@yahoo.com | November 10, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I finally found out where to watch the game live in North America. Check out http://trafficusa.blogspot.com/. This is sooo great.

Posted by: jnasib | November 10, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Greece is the word.
It's got groove it's got meaning.
Greece is the time, is the place is the motion.
Greece is the way we are feeling.

To paraphrase Joe Doc, if you don't know the the singer and song, you're hopeless (and I don't mean hopelessly devoted).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 11, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

algeria will be through to south africa
it's just like a second step in the birth of a Nation.
In juillet 1962 , the first step was against France.
And now it's against egypt.

Posted by: ahmedsaadisid | November 13, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse