Americans Abroad

Tim-Howard-001.jpg
GOALKEEPERS
Tim Howard 90 minutes in Everton's 2-2 tie with Spurs
(Howard stops PK in final moments)
Brad Friedel 90 in Aston Villa's 3-0 win over Hull City

Marcus Tracy 77 in Aalborg's 2-0 loss at Sonderjyske
Eddie Johnson not in 18 for Fulham's 1-0 win over Sunderland
Matt Taylor 5 in FSV Frankfurt's 2-0 loss at Augsburg
Mike Grella in 18, didn't play in Leeds' 2-2 with Huddersfield

By Steve Goff  |  December 6, 2009; 2:39 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sunday Kickaround
Next: Monday Kickaround

Comments

ladies on espn at the moment. rooting for UNC, but it was real sloppy play while I was watching.

Posted by: troy6 | December 6, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Tarheels up a goal and Stanford down a huge player.

Posted by: sitruc | December 6, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Another almost for Stanford with under 2 minutes left. Goal was offside.

Posted by: sitruc | December 6, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

#20 for UNC

Posted by: sitruc | December 6, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Jay DeMerit in 18!!!! NICE.

Posted by: delantero | December 6, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

ESPN Gamecast said Dempsey assisted on Fulham's goal. Is that not the case?

Posted by: BooThisMan | December 6, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Bradley's assist was nice.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 6, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

demerit in the 18? I totally missed that on first reading. great news!

Posted by: troy6 | December 6, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

DeMerit just returned to training this week too. Hopefully he works his way back into the starting 11, which I have full confidence he will.

Anyway, DaMarcus Beasley played 28 minutes (which probably takes his total to about 100 minutes this season) so cue the we need him on our national team hysteria from various people. (If not on this blog than on Ives). But he does not ever need to touch the field again for the USMNT. His technique is awful, and wont scare any defender with similar pace (Glen Johnson or Ashley Cole). We need to grow as a footballing nation. Being, "I used to really really fast" is not what we need anymore.

Is anyone losing belief in Jozy Altidore? (My brother questioned him as a top player after we watched his last game for the NYRB's at Dynamo over a yr and half ago. I didn't want to believe my brother assessment that Jozy isn't that fast, has a below average first touch, provides awful hold up play, and passes the ball to the other team in awful situations a lot. I cant pretend not to see it anymore.)

I am not as big as a hater as I seem. I like to think of myself as a realist (without the political connotations to international studies).

Posted by: grubbsbl | December 6, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I still hope Jozy gets better and becomes a beast, but at times its painful to watch him not be able to trap a ball or attempt to play a backwards linking ball and play it four feet off his intended target.

Honestly, a lot of the times it looks like he is trying to shield and let the ball go through is really him just not trapping a ball.

Posted by: grubbsbl | December 6, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

This Grandma got run over by a bunch of (rein)deer well before Christmas Eve.

Posted by: delantero | December 6, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

""Is anyone losing belief in Jozy Altidore?""

When the alternatives are less appealing? No, not really.

Casey, Ching, Johnson, Rolfe, who?

Robbie Findley? Meet Mr. Ferdinand and Mr. Terry. Yeah, right.

Posted by: delantero | December 6, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I was thrilled to see Howard's PK save as it happened. But why does it seem that Everton is always coming back from a one or two goal deficit?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 6, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, sweet touch from Bradley.

Posted by: BooThisMan | December 6, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1
---------------------------

because they aren't very good?

Posted by: troy6 | December 6, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Last paragraph of the guardian story

"In the 93rd minute Hibbert ran heavily into Palacios as they pursued Crouch's knockdown into the area to concede an obvious penalty and put the Honduran in hospital. England then faced USA and the USA won."

Posted by: AshburnUnited | December 6, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Totally off topic, but it looks like the Eddie Aikau might actually get run for the first time in 5 years tomorrow or Tuesday. Looks like they'll have a live feed of some sort as well. 20 foot minimum wave heights to even consider running it.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 6, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

You are the DudeRyan.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | December 6, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Freddy Adu should retire.

Posted by: fedster | December 6, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Re-posting re womens final . . .

was, to me, a let down. Stanford had two pulled out of the net on offside calls, but I don't think one could argue with either of them. Nor can Stanford argue with the red to O'Hara that left them one down.

Maybe a combination of poor weather, Stanford team illness, and two games in 3 days. I think NCAA should re-think the latter. I understand the "final 4" hoopla, the marketing and now the tie-in with the ECNL youth league . . . but they are not putting on their best show in the final.

And this favors UNC year after year. With unlimited subs, they can keep throwing subs at you, high pressure, and they are deeper with athletes than any other college team will be as long as Dorrance is there.

Which is not to say they weren't the far superior team today. They were. Again.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 6, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

""Is anyone losing belief in Jozy Altidore?""

Not while an EPL team thinks it is worth their while to play him.

Posted by: glfrazier | December 6, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Pretty amazing story here, something I've never seen before except when you play someone online on Fifa who gets a crap goal off a glitch or something and scores an own goal to make up for it.

Italian Serie B team allows "Fair Play goal"

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | December 6, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

@delantero
I agree with your post. I am just presenting the argument that his actually isn't very good.

My main problem is that Jozy cant keep the ball when its played to him. This is going to kill us against quality opponents when they are dumping the pressure on us. At that point we will need an outlet. I am just not sure if Jozy is a good enough outlet. He really can't trap a ball consistently.

Don"t get me wrong. Casey, Ching, Johnson, Rolfe arent the answers either. To me though, the lack of a better option doesn't make him a good option. Just our best bad option.

I just want to know if anyone else is willing to say he isnt very good. I am.

Posted by: grubbsbl | December 6, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

"I am just presenting the argument that he actually isn't very good."

Yeah, but I'll cut him some slack at 20. Plus, he needs to shed the stain from his days as a NY Red Bull.

Posted by: delantero | December 6, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Rolfe is better than Grubbsbi gives him credit for being. I would like to see him in a friendly with a decent supporting cast. He's tidy with the ball and nobody gets off a shot faster.

Posted by: b18bolo | December 6, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

"Is anyone losing belief in Jozy Altidore?"

He just turned 20 a month ago. How many 20 year olds are even playing in the EPL each week?

Posted by: fischy | December 6, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

I can't say I've seen a ton of Jozy outside of National team appearances or his days at Red Bull, but I will say that I've seen a little bit less of the throwing up of the hands, and a stronger commitment to staying on his feet in the last 6 months or so. I'd mentioned a long while back that I was afraid he was going to pick up habits in Spain that I'm not a fan of regardless of how much Alexi Lalas tells us diving is an ARTFORM... He's under the magnifying glass at Hull big time, and I think he's maturing at an acceptable rate.
Jozy is good, and he could really rock the house if he could man up mentally. Many things have indicated that he's on that path.

I'd also agree that Rolfe is a bit under rated and although there may be others ahead of him at this time, I think he too deserves some looks in some friendlies if it won't hurt his time with his new club.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 6, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 6, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

-----

That was a soul-crushing letdown for Spurs. Keane should have been subbed in around the 80th for Defoe. He would have made the PK.

Also I do not want to see Bale or Hutton in a Prem game again. Just warming up on the sideline was enough for Hutton to jinx our PK. He curses the team before he's even touched the ball.

Nice save though. USA USA, etc.

Posted by: M__N | December 7, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

"Is anyone losing belief in Jozy Altidore?"

Posted by: fischy

Before, we were just worried about his getting any PT; now, he is -- he hasn't done enough with it, but Hull has had a good run, so I think he will continue to get more opportunities and learn from them.

Better than the Adu situation -- his twitter intimated that he thought he was going to play.

Posted by: Reignking | December 7, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

My sense is that Jozy could learn a lot from Jimmy Bullard about approach to the game.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 7, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF

Or where to find a hospital.

Posted by: Reignking | December 7, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse