Americans Abroad

Eddie Johnson not in 18 for Fulham
Mike Grella in 18, didn't play in Leeds' 0-0 tie at Brentford
Matt Taylor in 18, didn't play in FSV Frankfurt's 0-0 tie with Ahlen
Freddy Adu and Belenenses vs. Guimaraes on Monday

By Steve Goff  |  December 13, 2009; 10:38 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU's Interest in Caleb Porter
Next: D.C. United Coaching Update

Comments

I heard Beasley was highly influential. Unfortunately, I think our national team will continue to follow the Damarcus roller coaster.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | December 13, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Any Chance Adu makes the 18?

Posted by: DadRyan | December 14, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

If Beasley is healthy AND Run DMB in May, I don't mind the rollercoaster.

Posted by: B_A_ | December 14, 2009 1:50 AM | Report abuse

So is Tim Howard or Brad Friedel the starting US keeper? It seems like a win win situation when we play England next year.

While I thought Howard would be the clear choice, some of Friedel's saves against Man U were simply amazing.

As far as rollercoasters at least Beasley has injuries to blame, what's EJ's excuse?

Posted by: Southeasterner | December 14, 2009 6:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Southeasterner | December 14, 2009 6:19 AM |
__________________________________________
Being as how Brad Friedel has retired from international football in February, 2005, and Tim Howard has started in almost every meaningful game for the US since then, I'd have thought that this wasn't a question. Besides, the crossbar saved ManU's best attempt on goal! :D

Posted by: schmuckatelli | December 14, 2009 6:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: schmuckatelli | December 14, 2009 6:50 AM | Report abuse

I was half kidding in my first post but to play devil’s advocate since when do pro athletes retire? Not to mention he is playing great football in the world’s best league (not that Howard isn’t).

Posted by: Southeasterner | December 14, 2009 7:10 AM | Report abuse

@ Southeasterner.

You have to forgive Ms. Schmuck for her pompiosity; she's not a morning lady.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | December 14, 2009 7:20 AM | Report abuse

Amazing how, in one game, people are flip-flopping on DMB (not you, BA).

dadryan: he is in the 18.

Posted by: Reignking | December 14, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

From this morning's Soccer America Daily:

Sueno' winner Funes scores for River Plate
by Mike Woitalla
[ARGENTINA] Gabriel Funes, the 18-year-old Texas product who won "2008 Sueno MLS," scored for River Plate in his third appearance for the club, a 2-0 win over Tigre in the final game of the Apertura 2009 season.
******

Is Funes not an American? Shouldn't he be covered in Americans Abroad

Posted by: DCUSince96 | December 14, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

From this morning's Soccer America Daily:

Sueno' winner Funes scores for River Plate
by Mike Woitalla
******

Is Funes not an American? Shouldn't he be covered in Americans Abroad

Posted by: DCUSince96 | December 14, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Texans don't count...just look at Norway's captain and Fulham defensive superstar Brede Hangeland.

Posted by: Southeasterner | December 14, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

If he's Norway's captain, we can hardly call him "American." And let's not get started on Rossi.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 14, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Funes is a great story but may be a case of an immigrant kid who came to America and left without picking up citizenship. Here's footage of his goal (the 1st one scored):

Goff, do you know of any definite info on Funes' citizenship or immigration status?

He came to Texas with family at about age 10, played at Arlington High School (I think that's the name) and won FC Dallas' version of Sueno MLS.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | December 14, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Is Funes not an American? Shouldn't he be covered in Americans Abroad Posted by: DCUSince96

Only if Lou Dobbs can see his birth certificate.

Posted by: delantero | December 14, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Just saw that Pepe (Real Madrid) blew out his knee...as if their defense wasn't bad enough.

Posted by: Reignking | December 14, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Again, off-topic, but a good story

Monterrey forward Aldo De Nigris was dealt a blow before the Liguilla kicked off when older brother and former Monterrey star Antonio De Nigris died of heart problems in Greece.

While initially there weere fears that Aldo De Nigris would not be able to play, he insisted Antonio would not want him to miss a game.

Nearly three weeks later, Aldo De Nigris is a hero in Monterrey. De Nigris scored a goal in Monterrey's 2-1 win over Cruz Azul and helped Monterrey claim the Apertura 2009 championship.

Posted by: Reignking | December 14, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

You're fine Reingking, the topic is Non-Americans Abroad,

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 14, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Didn't DMB recently say he was looking elsewhere because he wasn't getting playing time. Now he suddenly seems to be getting minutes on the field. Is it because he threatened to go?

Posted by: WorldCup | December 14, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

WC: that's what I suspect -- that they are showcasing him. I can't imagine a manager hearing that and thinking "oh, you know what, since you brought it up in the papers and in public, I should do what you say".

Posted by: Reignking | December 14, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

BTW, you can get 8 free toppings on your $10 cheese pizza from Papa John's today. Redskins scored 4 touchdowns and they won= up to 8 free toppings... The infrequency of scoring and winning by the skins this year make those pies taste incredible!!!
Cheers!

Anyone see these new Algerian shirts? When do you think we'll see some more news about the new US jerseys? Wouldn't it make sense from a marketing standpoint to release them before Christmas, or at least offer a pre-sale?

Posted by: DadRyan | December 14, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

The overlap effect on that Algerian jersey makes it look like a woman's shirt. Then again, Puma does outfit the WPS.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 14, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Eating a pizza like that will help you to look like a Redskin nose tackle...

Posted by: Reignking | December 14, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 14, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

You are talking about the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 14, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1
---------------------

or as the complete outfit for a waitress at a sports bar. brings new meaning to "Desert Foxes."

Posted by: troy6 | December 14, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

8 free toppings? Cheese, cheese, cheese, cheese, cheese, cheese, cheese, and ummm.... cheese.Posted by: I-270Exit1

And a side of metamucil to make sure it doesn't lock ya up.

I would also advise close observation with someone who know's the Heimlich maneuver.

Posted by: delantero | December 14, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Klinsmann, family to return to US

BERLIN (AP)—Juergen Klinsmann and his family intend to return to the United States, eight months after he was fired as coach of Bayern Munich.

The 45-year-old told RTL television late Sunday that “our family planning takes priority and we are now going back to America, so the children can go to school there.”
....

He has said he does not plan to take on another coaching assignment in the Bundesliga.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | December 14, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

someone should tell Klinsmann that TJ in Alexandria was just named the number 1 high school in the country for like the 3rd year in a row. Then he could coach DC United if he's in the area anyways!

Posted by: joe_hill | December 14, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 14, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

There's also a German school in Potomac, so the kids can keep up with the gymnasium curriculum. No, not that kind of gymnasium, this kind.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 14, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. Huntington Beach . . . Alexandria . . . Potomac . . . I'm guessing he settles on Huntington Beach again.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 14, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

OT:

Jens Lehmann is really and truly whack.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 14, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

OT:

Jens Lehmann is really and truly whack.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 14, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

P St. Beach?

Posted by: joe_hill | December 14, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

P St. Beach?

Posted by: joe_hill | December 14, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Talk about yikes...

Posted by: DadRyan | December 14, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | December 14, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I don't think its official yet but they look pretty good.

Posted by: spikeman | December 14, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan- I think i miss read your post as saying you want to know what they look like, not when they will be released.

Posted by: spikeman | December 14, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Why are we calling Lehmann whack? Because he whizzed during a Champions League match, while he was supposed to be defending the goal?

Posted by: fischy | December 14, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Miss Read?

Posted by: Reignking | December 14, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

new US shirts look like the current US shirts, only with the off-white bit now skewed diagonally. says they are inspired by the 1950 jerseys, but it is an awfully weak link to those. but then, I always dislike the new shirts when they first come out. time only proved me right on the weird denim look in 94.

Posted by: troy6 | December 14, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

The veteran keeper then took a toilet break during the Champions League game against Unirea Urziceni.

Posted by: Reignking | December 14, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

@Dad -- No chance he even gets on the team plane.

Posted by: fischy | December 14, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Miss Read is the school librarian, but she's not a good public reader because she keeps misreading things.

Posted by: fischy | December 14, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Freddy is on the bench for Belenenses. Guimaraes 1 Belenenses 0 in the 62nd.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 14, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Fredy coming in.

Posted by: Reignking | December 14, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Another Belen sub on...that's 2 on, no Adu.

Posted by: Reignking | December 14, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Whenever I see "Fredy," I Miss Read it as "Freddy."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 14, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

You get a D, then.

Posted by: Reignking | December 14, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Belenenses gets a red card (Pinto,a midfielder). Not sure whether that bodes well for FredDy.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 14, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Belenenses uses it's third sub, and it's.... not Freddy.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 14, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I get an occassional e-mail newsletter from the Harrisburg City Islanders since I got tickets to an Open Cup game there once.

Don't know if this is new but they say DC United permanently acquired Ty Shipalane (he was acquired on loan earlier this year).

* * * * * * * * * *

The City Islanders have announced that midfielder Tiyiselani "Tiyi" Shipalane, the 2009 USL Second Division Rookie of the Year and a First Team All-League selection, has been acquired by D.C. United of Major League Soccer. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Shipalane started 18 games for Harrisburg in 2009, recording six goals and six assists. He caught D.C. United's eye in the U.S. Open Cup quarterfinal match between the clubs on July 7 (a 2-1 D.C. win).

"We'll certainly miss Tiyi, but this is a great opportunity for him," said City Islanders Head Coach Bill Becher. "I have no doubt he'll do well."

Harrisburg agreed to loan the 24-year-old to D.C. following the USL-2 season. He appeared in three CONCACAF Champions League games, starting in a 3-0 win over CD Marathon on September 24. Based on those performances, United exercised the option in the loan agreement to purchase Shipalane's rights.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | December 14, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

7 goal in 13 game for Belenenses, and Freddy still can't get in. Baffling.

Posted by: Reignking | December 14, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Beazley's days are done, at least so long as BB is coach. Fine with me, his last good run was in 2002.

I'd love to see Friedel back in between the pipes for the US. Only way that would happen is if Howard and Guzan both get hurt between now and the Cup. His last save this weekend was just unbelievable.

Posted by: hacksaw | December 14, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Freedy Johnston?

So, while we wait for our feerless leader to post some news, I visited the DC United site. Marc Burch went on an an Armed Forces tour in the Pacific, joined by McTavish, Boswell and Chabala. According to Burch they found time to "do some snorkeling by an uninhibited island." I shudder to think what an uninhibited island might be capable of doing...or, is that just a euphemism for a nudist beach?

Posted by: fischy | December 14, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Miss Read?

Posted by: Reignking | December 14, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | December 14, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Whenever I see "Fredy," I Miss Read it as "Freddy."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 14, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I typed too fast, didnt spell check and miss read my own post :)

Posted by: spikeman | December 14, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Then I don't want to know what snorkeling is a euphemism for.

Posted by: Reignking | December 14, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I guess I miss read my own post also :)

Posted by: spikeman | December 14, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow. When i submited the post at 6:24 an error message came up so i didn't think it appeared. I made a new one and realized the first one was posted. I'm having a bad day.

Posted by: spikeman | December 14, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

no worries. I've seen the supposed White US shirt, along with photoshopped mock ups of rumored blue and red versions. I was just thinking that it wouldn't take much time for Nike to get with the program and drop these shirts now that the draw has been made. I want a red one.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 14, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse