Chivas USA, Guzan, USA, Heaps

*Chivas USA is planning to introduce its new head coach Wednesday at Home Depot Center, and from what I have been able to gather, Martin Vasquez is the choice. Former USA national team and Galaxy coach Steve Sampson was also a finalist. Vasquez, 45, played in MLS and was an assistant with Los Angeles, Chivas USA and Bayern Munich under Juergen Klinsmann. Vasquez's Mexican roots -- he played for both the USA and El Tri, as well as four Mexican clubs -- was certainly a factor for Chivas management.

*USA goalkeeper Brad Guzan was given the starting nod for Aston Villa in its English League Cup quarterfinal today against lowly Portsmouth. The result: a 4-2 victory for Villa. Manchester United advanced, 2-0 over Spurs.

*The USA is tentatively scheduled to play a friendly March 3 at the Netherlands. But what if the Americans and Dutch land in the same World Cup group when the draw unfolds Friday in Cape Town? From what I hear, there is a good chance the match will still be played.

*Jay Heaps' retirement announcement after 11 seasons in MLS will be midday tomorrow at Gillette Stadium.

By Steve Goff  |  December 1, 2009; 5:25 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , MLS , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Atlanta's Stadium
Next: FIFA Sets Draw Pots

Comments

I was surprised when reports surfaced that Chivas was looking beyond Vasquez. He should be a strong choice that fits with their marketing profile.

Jay Heaps retiring? Who's going to play right back for the USA?

Posted by: fischy | December 1, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

This post just one more example of how Goffino continues to set the standard for soccer coverage. Voting continues at http://www.ussoccer.com/Best-of-Awards/News/Finalists-Named-for-2009-Best-of-Awards.aspx

Posted by: fischy | December 1, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Jay Heaps is only retiring so that he will no longer have to worry about someone seriously retaliating against his dirty, should-never-have-worn-the-National-Team-shirt, half-talented, poor excuse for a defender a$$.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | December 1, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Heaps was extremely well named.

Won't miss him at all.

Posted by: seahawkdad | December 1, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

@ fischy

I started to do US Soccer's 'best of 2009' poll, then I got to best soccer bar in the US and saw Summer's was listed as a choice.

At that point I couldn't go on except to vote for Goff.

Posted by: KireDCU | December 1, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

A serious question: If Jay Heaps had played for DC United and Ben Olsen for New England, wouldn't DCU fans be ragging on Olsen as a dirty, shirt-pulling hack-a-minute outrage, while extolling Heaps for his never-say-die I'm only 5'9" but I can dunk never give up defensive play?

Posted by: b18bolo | December 1, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Many thanks, Fischy. I appreciate the support from you and many others. Just workin' for a livin'. Unlike other finalists, I will take the high road and refrain from instructing readers to vote "early and often." (sigh)

Posted by: Steve Goff | December 1, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: b18bolo | December 1, 2009 6:26 PM
__________________________________________
A fair question, but the difference is Olsen had both talent and competitive spirit, whereas Heaps had little discernible talent.

Posted by: schmegegge | December 1, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Davies-related: saw this nice video posted on The Offside Rules, from Sochaux to Charlie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5m6-gNEj7w&feature=player_embedded

Posted by: carmines757 | December 1, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Disagree; Heaps was a solid MLS back, a good athlete and a good competitor. If he played for DC, DC fans would be singing his praises for his work ethic.

Posted by: hacksaw | December 1, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Heaps, don't sweat those other blogs Steve, you are
THE BOSS!

Posted by: DadRyan | December 1, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

b18bolo:

In the words of Jules Winfield, personality goes a long way. Olsen and Heaps both ran around kicking their opponents and infuriated fans of other teams. However, Heaps always came off as arrogant and self-righteous to me whenever I read anything he had to say. Olsen, on the other hand, seems like a genuinely good person. Maybe it's just me, but Olsen's personality is a large part of his appeal.

Nothing I can say about Jay Heaps can appear on this generally rated PG blog. I wish I had more fists to shake at him.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 1, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

How does USSF track the voting? By cookies or computer or what? Not that I'm thinking of stuffing the ballot box for Steve (well I am), but it would be a gross miscarriage of justice -yes justice - if Steve did not win. Even worse than France advancing to the World Cup. Even worse than when the big guy and the skinny guy were tied in that season of American Idol. Even worse than the Park Police not telling Soccer Insiders who drove the car.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 1, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Funny thing. One of my eyes is irritated and I read "Heaps" as "Herpes."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 1, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

DCU fans be ragging on Olsen as a dirty, shirt-pulling hack-a-minute outrage Posted by: b18bolo

Comparing Olsen to Heaps, regardless of who they played for, is like comparing fresh apples to rotten, fetid, stanky oranges.

Olsen's career can not be defined anywhere near hackery, even though he was capable of engaging in argy-barginess.

Posted by: delantero | December 1, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Funny thing. One of my eyes is irritated and I read "Heaps" as "Herpes."

Posted by: I-270Exit1

Is your eye irritated by Heaps?

Posted by: Reignking | December 1, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

SG -- We appreciate that you're doing your job. You have a very busy beat with all the local soccer -- which you do excellently -- plus you're also tasked with national team coverage. You do those tasks professionally, providing 'hard' news and insight, along with first-rate writing.

It's the other stuff you do that makes your blog stand out -- the stuff that aren't part of the job description. Despite your local focus, you constantly scoop reporters in other jurisdictions with MLS stories about their local teams. On the blog, you also provide an international smorgasbord of soccer-related topics and entertainment. It does not escape our notice that you cover your beats and still provide all the tangential sidelights that make this blog so much fun.

If you're reluctant to compare yourself to other soccer blogs, just look at how this blog compares with the other WaPo sports blogs. Nationals Journal basically takes a vacation from the end of October until mid-February. They're lucky to get up more than one post each week during the off-season. The other team blogs are also ghost towns during their off-season. Your output doesn't seem to flag much if at all during the off-season, and you're far more prolific than the others during the season. I don't know if your editors fully appreciate all you do, but we sure appreciate it.

Posted by: fischy | December 1, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I'll second that.
Anyone else watching Sacha Kljestan's girl among other on the VS fashion show?
Vote for Jaime Lee!

Posted by: DadRyan | December 1, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm not at all a Jay Heaps fan but I am surprised he's retiring. Seems like he's been an every day starter in recent years.

His stats page does reveal he's 33 years old. Must be among the MLS career leaders in games played and minutes played.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | December 2, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Heaps is just retiring so he has more time to shop for jeans. That last pair was getting a little snug.

Posted by: wichne | December 2, 2009 2:38 AM | Report abuse

The best news so far today is that Jay Heaps is retiring. I was almost certain after the last Gold Cup he was going to make the World Cup roster in 2010. J/K

Posted by: no_recess | December 2, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | December 1, 2009 9:47 PM
==========

This is something we can all agree on.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 2, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday a new Goldfrapp album is announced and now Jay Heaps is retiring. This is turning into the best week ever.

Posted by: M__N | December 2, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Egad. wichne's link is disturbing. Who wears a suit with a cardigans and a T-shirt for a "night on the town?" And $990 for a hooded sweatshirt? That's more than his Hugo Boss suit costs. I think Garber will use this as ammunition against raising the salary cap.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 2, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

FIFA has posted the draw procedures. http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/media/newsid=1142262.html#fifa+organising+committee+approves+final+draw+procedure

CONCACAF teams are in the same pot with Asia and Oceania. This means that US will not get an easy group. US are guaranteed to have 1 seeded team in their group, a 2nd European team, and a South American or African team. In other words, chances are that the US will face 3 tough teams in group stage, with only 2 teams advancing. The best break US could get is getting drawn into Group A, in which South Africa is the seeded team.

I sure hope the US plays better than they did against Slovakia and Denmark recently. Otherwise, it will be another 3 and out WC.

The actual draw is on Friday.

Posted by: jack35 | December 2, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Now Chivas can go back to sucking and I can go back to hating Chivas.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 2, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Why has no one commented yet on the fact that we are scheduled to play Holland in March? I think this is excellent news! A top quality pre-cup friendly is just what we need. This is sweet!

Posted by: WorldCup | December 2, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

On good days and mediocre ones, Heaps always left it on the pitch. Too bad that same passion is missing among quite a few of the MLS players.

Posted by: juke2 | December 2, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse