Davies Accident Details

Although the U.S. Park Police has yet to complete its official investigation into the one-car accident in October that seriously injured national team forward Charlie Davies and killed a second passenger, we are beginning to learn more about what unfolded on that late night/early morning on the George Washington Memorial Parkway near the team hotel in Northern Virginia.

According to court documents obtained by Post reporter Del Quentin Wilber, the driver (who has not been publicly identified pending possible charges) told police that she had consumed alcohol before the accident and was adjusting her GPS unit when she swerved off the road and hit a guardrail.

Davies has begun rehabilitation after surgery for a broken leg, lacerated bladder, fractured elbow and facial injury. The Park Police is not expected to release its full report until after the holidays.

Read Del's story here.

By Steve Goff  |  December 17, 2009; 5:53 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United Updates
Next: United Acquires Castillo

Comments

Well that should satiate some nosey folks.
Talk about a recipe for disaster. Drinking and driving is about the only thing dumber than screwing around with electronics while driving. Put your phones away, take the crap hanging from your rearview mirror down, get the dog out of your lap, and for goodness sake don't use a computer to navigate the GW parkway...

I don't care how old you are, and how much experience you have, distracted driving is more dangerous than drunk driving.
I just hope this driver isn't Davies girlfriend, that would really sour a relationship.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 17, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

I agree! Put the electronics away!

Posted by: jake77 | December 17, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

While very different, the loss of Chris Henry immediately made me think of Charlie Davies.

Posted by: sitruc | December 17, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

And really, I hope for nothing but justice and healing for everyone involved. I don't mean offense to folks, but as a friend of more than one cyclist killed by distracted drivers this news strikes a nerve.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 17, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for being "nosey," but I appreciate knowing that the local police are investigating possible crimes thoroughly and prosecuting those responsible for causing unnecessary tragedies.

One of the key elements of our democracy is that the press keeps the public informed so that it can elect officials to fix problems.

Posted by: chemweapon | December 17, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

"The driver, who has not been identified by police, suffered minor injuries."

I'll never understand how this always happens...

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | December 17, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

@Rand -- It's always troubling, no? Especially with drunk drivers, but I guess we need to have similar ire for many distracted drivers, too. You're question is probably rhetorical, but if I'd take a guess: It's because the driver is the one first aware there is trouble, and her immediate reactions are taken from the point of personal danger/safety (braking, swerving, bracing, etc.). Plus, most of the good safety equipment surrounds the driver. The ones caught by surprise by the sudden threat often have no time to react to protect themselves.

I might have to cancel the satellite radio....

Goff -- Go enjoy your vacation, already...

Posted by: fischy | December 17, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh -- and, yeah, Lehmann IS whack.

Kahn's saying Jens should just walk away.

Posted by: fischy | December 17, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Drinking + Driving + Dicking with GPS = Rank idiocy.

Best line of story...the car was going over the 40 mph speed limit......really?!

Posted by: arswift24 | December 17, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Slightly tangential: Everyone remember that Copa America roster which Bradley took so much heat for in 2007? Never mind that he made sure his "best" players were available for the Gold Cup, which we all know now led to one of the greatest accomplishments in USA soccer history. Just look at the roster...

One goalie (Guzan), who will be the USA back-up and is firmly in place to succeed Friedel with a club that is in the EPL top 4. Four defenders who have to be in the running to make the trip to South Africa (Bornstein, Califf, Conrad and DeMerit); Two midfielders who will probably get a lot of playing time and may start in South Africa (Clark and Feilhaber), plus 2 more that did play in qualifiers (Beckerman and Kljestan); and at forward, Twellman, who would be in the mix if he were healthy, and one almost totally unknown young player, Charlie Davies.

Actually, in retrospect, that team was fairly equivalent to the team we sent to the Gold Cup this year. Not a total joke. The difference in results might have been as attributable to the quality of the opposition as Team USA's inexperience. Copa America gave us Rico's first goal, and Charlie's first cap.

Posted by: fischy | December 17, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

I posted this on the police blog link...how do you cut an SUV in half after skidding in grass for nearly 40 yards and hitting a guard rail? And if you've ever driven that stretch of the GW pkwy it is treacherous and has very little easements on either side...

Posted by: jbfromfc | December 17, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

""how do you cut an SUV in half after skidding in grass for nearly 40 yards and hitting a guard rail? ""

By going too fast and hitting at a really high speed.

Mass * Velocity = Momentum

Posted by: delantero | December 18, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan

Right there with ya.

Posted by: delantero | December 18, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Looks like the whitewash is wearing off...

But it will be the driver crucified in order to keep "Saint" Charlie's halo from slipping in public.

Posted by: captainwierd | December 18, 2009 2:13 AM | Report abuse

captainweird,

your comment makes no sense. what's there to criticize charlie for here? he wasn't driving. there's no indication he grabbed the wheel.

is there something i'm missing?

Posted by: member5 | December 18, 2009 4:01 AM | Report abuse

Davies is not nearly high profile enough that anyone would be "cricified" for his benefit.

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | December 18, 2009 5:06 AM | Report abuse

Wait a second...how the heck is it Davies fault?? Was he signing too loud to the Wham song on the radio. When JkR gets here you are going to be shunned.

Posted by: rockotodd | December 18, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I'm already shunning it...

Posted by: JkR- | December 18, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Once again, captainwierd showcases how isolated and out of touch the average Scroungers fan is.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 18, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I can envision that the SUV was cut in half by one of the guardrail posts, but I can't imagine the speed that would allow that to happen.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 18, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't insult the average Sounders fan by putting captainweirdo in that group.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 18, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Accountability is good

Posted by: GeneWells | December 18, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

You're probably right 270, he does strike me as one of those manga loving shut-ins who is too obese to get out of his parents basement and fulfill the male cheerleading dreams the "average" Sounders fans are so excited about. ;)

I know what the articles say, but there still seems to be some confusion about wether or not the car was "cut in half" by the impact or rescue workers extracting Charlie and the driver...

Posted by: DadRyan | December 18, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Champs league draw is out . . .

Inter visits Chelsea, and AC Milan visits Man U at Old Trafford. FIFA couldn't have fixed it . . . er worked it out better.

Posted by: delantero | December 18, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

"The driver, who has not been identified by police, suffered minor injuries."

I'll never understand how this always happens...

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | December 17, 2009 8:25 PM

Firstly, great name. I'm reading those books now :)

Secondly, this has been bothering me for a couple weeks now. I think fischy's comment is probably accurate, but it's still baffling...

It's kind of hit home for me lately, too:
2 weeks ago this coming Sunday, my brother's best friends were involved in a one car accident in which my other brother, who is also close with both driver and passenger was one of the first responders at the scene. The driver was not legally intoxicated, but the passenger was very drunk. You know how they always say the drunk person is usually the most likely to survive? Well, the drunk person (the passenger) died this time, while the driver had not a single scratch on his body. The investigation has concluded that they were fighting and she grabbed the wheel. The girl who died was 17.
Absolutely stunning young girl, too...

Posted by: rachel751 | December 18, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Oh, yeah- Charlie was the innocent passenger who hadn't had a drop to drink and was being held hostage by the two girls.

Sorry, folks, but in the real world when a driver has been out drinking, it is very unlikely that the passengers are sober.

But I guess the D.C. crowd is so used to buying "spin" they don't even recognize it anymore.

But then, DadRyan, you believe the accident is the fault of electronic devices, not alcohol- so we know what kind of reality you live in.

Posted by: captainwierd | December 18, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

"but there still seems to be some confusion about whether or not the car was "cut in half" by the impact or rescue worker"

IMO, the impact did 90% of it, and even the on scene Poh Poh report said something akin to "it was basically cut in half"

Reason being that the jaws of life, etc, don't cause the massive blunt trauma as scene in the photos. What the rescue folks probably did was cut the supports of whatever was left, leaving two pieces of an already mangled car.

Posted by: delantero | December 18, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Captainwierd, you are a d**** (bag of vinegar and water used to clean private parts of a female) as the censors won't let me post what I'd really like to say.

Posted by: delantero | December 18, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Goff, I know you are on vacation, but we need a new thread.

Thinking of a horrible crash that left one girl dead, a career threatened, and whacko's that want place blame is depressing.

Posted by: delantero | December 18, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: captainwierd | December 18, 2009 10:57 AM

Unless it's a situation like I stated above where the drunk passenger grabbed the wheel, I'm not sure how you can blame a passenger for a driver being too drunk to drive...? It's ultimately the driver's responsibility to recognize they should not be behind the wheel. Yes, the passenger(s) should be responsible enough to not get in the car with a drunk driver, but I always take 100% of the responsibility for the people in my car, and when I have passengers I drive much more carefully than I do when it's just me.

Oh, and I'm not from DC and have never lived in DC.

Posted by: rachel751 | December 18, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

@captainwierd

Can't you go troll somewhere else? If Davies was hammered he is where he was supposed to be, in the passenger seat not driving. You are an idiot and also a d**** like delantero said

Posted by: rockotodd | December 18, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Behind the Badhe reports that DCU has signed Christian Castillo on loan.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | December 18, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

They really need an "edit" option for these comments on the WaPo site...I meant Badge, obviously, not Badhe. :)

Posted by: VercengetorixII | December 18, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

"The driver, who has not been identified by police, suffered minor injuries."

I'll never understand how this always happens...

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | December 17, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

this happens because the drunk / sleeping person generally stays very relaxed during the impact, which allows the body to absorb the impacts much better.

Posted by: Section107 | December 18, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

You are jumping to conclusions that the driver was drunk. She admitted to having consumed alcohol, which is not the same. Your opinion may turn out to to be true, but wait for the facts.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 18, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Goff just tweeted that we got that Salvadoran midfielder!

Posted by: edgeonyou | December 18, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Will Castillo's signing be the end of the Fred era or will he (Fred) start playing more in the center where he prefers??

Posted by: rockotodd | December 18, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I just Chest (War and Peace) Rockwell on Twitter!

Which means he CAN be pithy and succinct if pressed. Has he been playing us?

(I kid, because I love...)

Posted by: JkR- | December 18, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Insert the word 'saw' or, 'read' (your preference) after the word 'just' and before 'Chest'.

Please carry on...

Posted by: JkR- | December 18, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if dc will still go after VERON? he accomplished what he wanted (win Copa Libertadores). A couple of good signings and a decent coach (yes I think onalfo is decent) and we could not only make the playoffs but be a contender

Posted by: Norteno4life | December 18, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

This IS, and always has been, a glorifying,
To be sure, 'Davies accident details'
should have been reported originally and ongoing as a news story in "Metro" as
'Fatal Auto Accident Involving U.S. Soccer
Player'.
All three persons who left the D.C. bar
together, decided amongst themselves to
enter stated vehicle and take both individual and collective responsibility for all resulting actions. Each person
should be held accountable.

Posted by: Lehoi | December 18, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

LeHoi = smells of cabbage

Posted by: JkR- | December 18, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

@LeHoi
There was an article about the accident in the metro section when it happened originally, what is your point? And "contemptuous"?? Have you ever read some of the other comment sections on the intertubes, they make us seem like Mary Poppins.
I assume you are just captainwierd with a new login.

Posted by: rockotodd | December 18, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Norteno4life | December 18, 2009 1:03 PM
--------------------------------------------------

Did you read the mlsrumors.net site yesterday? THe guy who runs it wrote about with some rumors, it's not a question of whether but when the deal will materialize. He cites the Everton-Donovan move as the prime example, since those rumors were first reported in the English press a year ago.

Another example could be Castillo -- Goff first posted about Latin press reports linking Castillo to United last February. And, he posted a disclaimer from Kasper (or was it Payne?) that it was absolutely not true. So not true that they end up signing him 10 months later....

Anyway, the mlsrumors guy posits Veron as the ultimate example of possibly premature reporting -- right down to the timetable posted for his flight to DC. He suggests that this offseason would be the ideal time for him to move. I think it's not impossible, with Estudiantes playing in the Club World Cup final tomorrow. What else is there for Veron to accomplish with that club?

Except there's one more thing for him to do -- play with Argentina in this summer's World Cup. With other big names heading abroad to prepare for the Cup, it seems unlikely that Veron would leave Argentina league football for MLS right now. If, however, DCU hasn't signed a DP when July rolls around, I expect that Kasper/Payne would at least invest in a phone call to see if Veron has any interest.

Posted by: fischy | December 18, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Today's poll: We will get how much snow this weekend?
- 6-8 inches
- 9-12 inches
- 12+
- it won't snow at all. It's a plot by Big Kitty Litter for us to load up on their stuff for our sidewalks.

Speaking of snow, this makes me think of DadRyan for some reason:

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 18, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Either Castillo is very diplomatic, or he's got an interesting and very different appreciation of RFK than the rest of us...

From a BTB Q&A:

"When we went to that Stadium to play with the national team, it’s a very beautiful stadium."

Posted by: fischy | December 18, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

""This IS, and always has been, a glorifying,
highly self-denying, contemptuous, small-minded D.C. United/Soccer-related Blog.""

Wow. I've never thought of myself as self-denying, contemptuous or small-minded. Thanks for the insight, Lehoi.

P.S. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Posted by: delantero | December 18, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

As others have mentioned, unless Davies pulled the wheel, the worst he can be accused of is poor judgment in allowing the person to drive him.

I'm sure I can't be the only one who has been drunk, gotten a ride with friends, and trusted their judgment on whether they were ok to drive. I guess I have a hard time assigning any fault to Davies in that type of situation.

Posted by: member5 | December 18, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Why would "we" as DC United fans, hold Charlie Davies in any higher regard than any other MLS club fans? It's not as if he played here, or at a local school either. He played at Boston College, and when MLS told him he couldn't choose the MLS club he would play for, he bolted for Europe.

Posted by: alecw81 | December 18, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse