DeMerit Returns

USA defender Jay DeMerit, who has been sidelined for months with an eye infection that required surgery, made his return for Watford today. He played the entire second half in the 3-1 league victory over visiting Queens Park Rangers.

An in-form DeMerit is critical to the national team as World Cup preparations begin in early 2010. With Oguchi Onyewu sidelined for months after rupturing a knee tendon, central defense has become an issue for Coach Bob Bradley. The other options are Carlos Bocanegra, Chad Marshall, Jimmy Conrad and Clarence Goodson.

Meantime in Denmark, midfielder Benny Feilhaber played all 90 minutes in Aarhus' 1-1 draw at home against Esbjerg.

By Steve Goff  |  December 7, 2009; 5:04 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: FIFA Player of the Year
Next: Early Tuesday Kickaround

Comments

Welcome back, Jay! Hopefully he'll be starting soon. And still in some sort of good (starting) club situation in January. They've had a good run thus far in the Championship, but Watford's financial situation hardly inspires confidence.

Posted by: apgibson | December 7, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

This is great news!!Welcome back Jay.

Posted by: nyjer1 | December 7, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Thx Jay!

Posted by: OWNTF | December 7, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Thx Jay!

Posted by: OWNTF | December 7, 2009 6:01 PM
=================

This is my nomination for post of the year.

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 7, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Good news, that sounded really sketchy and a reason to just go ahead and get Lasic already. Did they replace his cornea, and does that actually improve the eyesight in his injured eye? I have terrible eyes, and I hate wearing contacts, unless I'm doing something REALLY sporty, I'm curious about the type of surgery he had and what his eyesight is like now.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 7, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Excellent news! I really don't want to think about a World Cup with Clarence Goodson in central defense... no offense to CG.

Posted by: Modibo | December 7, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I chose to watch the 2nd half of that game on the wonders of the internet instead of doing my public administration paper. I must say, DeMerit looked as if he had not missed a step. The game was extremely physical and DeMerit looked dominant as ever. I never understood why a EPL team didn't come for him after Watford were relegated.

Maybe Everton could use his services? David Moyes is known for extracting gems from the lower divisions. I think DeMerit has the potential to be that gem. Then again, I am blinded by Americanism (but aren't we all!).

Posted by: grubbsbl | December 7, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Grubbsl, he's an American. For more, see any Brit's reaction to having us in their group.

This is a life saving change. Hope he keeps it up.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | December 7, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

@ everyone - I scooped Goff! I posted this on the "Monday Kickaround" thread:

DeMerit is on for Watford in the second half against QPR. Guess his eye is OK!

Posted by: soccerman | December 7, 2009 4:02 PM

NOTE THE TIME!!

Posted by: soccerman | December 7, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

I second Joe Doc's nomination.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 7, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Don't sleep on your Argy Bargy Goff line ups...

Posted by: DadRyan | December 7, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

I have Iniesta. If he's so damn good, why is my fantasy team 20th out of 22? Maybe Messi is the better player.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 7, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

CL tomorrow? I had no idea.

Posted by: Reignking | December 7, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

110 days until United's first 2010 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | December 7, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

That Argy Bargy is surprisingly fun.

I'm very excited for Jay. He's certainly a very solid player, and one we desperately need come next summer.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | December 7, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

@I-270, I've had Messi the whole time and it hasn't helped much. Big waste of cash last match day... Maybe this week will pan out differently.

AGB has been fun, if not a little disappointing. Keep it up gang.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 7, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

I meant ABG...

Posted by: DadRyan | December 7, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

So Bob Bradley gets a demerit. Not his first.

Posted by: troy6 | December 8, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Really, Steve? You had to put DeMerit beat Queens Park Rangers in it's own headlined entry? Couldn't just sneak it into the roundup? ;-)

Kidding - glad to see him back in the team and eye injury improving.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 8, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Nice to have Jimmy Conrad in our back pocket in Central Defense. He's always solid at the national level.

Posted by: JRandomReader | December 8, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse