Early Wednesday Kickaround

Pardon the absence (College Cup and college basketball duty).

*Landon Donovan might end up at Everton on loan this MLS offseason, like he did with Bayern Munich last winter.

*Forward Mike Grella, who pursued a European career instead of going to MLS after leaving Duke last season, scored twice in overtime during third-tier Leeds' 5-1 victory over non-league Kettering in an FA Cup replay. Next up: Manchester United in the third round. Toronto has his MLS rights after drafting him in the third round.

*Other Americans Abroad:
D Frank Simek in 18, didn't play in Sheffield Wednesday's 1-0 loss at Doncaster

*The FIFA Club World Cup begins today in the United Arab Emirates. Who knew? Al-Ahli, the host club, will play Oceania champion Auckland City, with the winner advancing to play CONCACAF rep Atlante on Saturday. Neither the Asian champion (Pohang of South Korea) nor the African club (Mazembe of Congo) inspires much excitement. Let Barcelona play Estudiantes in the Dec. 19 final, and get it over with.

For the TV offerings.....

*Soccer on TV:
Al Ahli-Auckland 11 a.m. Fox Soccer Channel
Inter Milan-Rubin Kazan 2:30 p.m. FSC
Dynamo Kiev-Barcelona 2:30 p.m. Setanta, Fox Sports Espanol; 5 p.m. FSC
Stuttgart-Unirea Urziceni 2:30 p.m. FSC, DirecTV
Sevilla-Rangers 2:45 p.m. DirecTV
Liverpool-Fiorentina 2:45 p.m. DirecTV
Lyon-Debreceni 2:45 p.m. DirecTV
Olympiakos-Arsenal 2:45 p.m. DirecTV; 7 p.m. FSE; 9 p.m. FSC
Colombia, Junior-Medellin 8:30 p.m. GolTV

By Steve Goff  |  December 9, 2009; 12:21 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , Club World Cup , FIFA , MLS , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Early Tuesday Kickaround
Next: Johnson Out, USA-Mexico?

Comments

the anxiety of awaiting more news on United's coaching search is killing me

Posted by: beergorila | December 9, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

thanks, Goff. When you say early, you do mean early. This is great info and more distraction to keep me from working on my final.

Posted by: Sec131 | December 9, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

"This is great info and more distraction to keep me from working on my final."
Posted by: Sec131 | December 9, 2009 12:38 AM
-------

c'mon, brother. like anyone needs an excuse to put off finals.

Posted by: HWLongfellow | December 9, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Landon to struggling Everton (who I'm a fan of)= YES. Makes sense, they need some help, could actually work.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | December 9, 2009 1:21 AM | Report abuse

You have a take home final, Sec131?

Posted by: sitruc | December 9, 2009 1:37 AM | Report abuse

Early morning Kickarounds is what I live for.

Posted by: redskinsux | December 9, 2009 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Please. No news on Onalfo... Please.

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | December 9, 2009 4:37 AM | Report abuse

"Please no news on Onalfo?" Why not? I'd LOVE to hear some news on Onalfo, namely:

"Onalfo dropped from DCU coaching candidates".

Posted by: Ron16 | December 9, 2009 6:43 AM | Report abuse

Since I haven't received an adequate answer to this question, I will ask it AGAIN....

IS BRUCE ARENA IN ANY WAY A VIABLE CANDIDATE FOR DCU COACH???

Posted by: redskinsux | December 9, 2009 6:55 AM | Report abuse

What is his contract situation in LA? I have looked everywhere and found nothing.

Posted by: redskinsux | December 9, 2009 6:56 AM | Report abuse

he anxiety of awaiting more news on United's coaching search is killing me

Posted by: beergorila

*******

yeah, esp since this morning's paper says on page 1 of the Sports section that Goff's blog has the latest news on DC United's coaching search.....

As for Landon's annual failure abroad, the story in Soccer America this morning suggests that he is being linked with Club America too. Doesn't that league make more sense for him than the EPL?

Posted by: DCUSince96 | December 9, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Hey, isn't Ruud Gullit free?

Posted by: the_lizard1000 | December 9, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff: Brian Namoff said that he expected to be cleared to resume training in December. Has that happened?

Posted by: b18bolo | December 9, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

redskinsux: all caps will get you nowhere.

Posted by: Reignking | December 9, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Look - honestly, I wouldn't care which clubs have interest in Landon so long as he's playing. Not 30 minute cameos. Legit, starting, scoring, and performing minutes. Minutes that make some one lob a HIGH bid MLS' way and leaves Landon and the league with a real money offer for him.

Oh well.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | December 9, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

ya'll notice the bit about Bayern's GOALKEEPER scoring the first goal? Butt is one helluva GK, but why would you send him to the other end of the field to take a penalty kick? What if Buffon saved it and suddenly the ball was in play? Odd managerial decision.

Still, when Butt was at Benfica he turned in some stellar performances. Unfortunately, Portuguese favorite son Quim was on the roster so Butt never had a fair shot at the starting role. Hmm...that situation sounds familiar somehow.

Posted by: troy6 | December 9, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

@ Reignking: totally agree (note: lower case)

@ sitruc: Yes it is a take home final that I have been putting off to the last minute (of course)...it is due this evening. But, want it done earlier so I can watch some soccer this afternoon.

Soccer trumps school work ;). I do have my priorities. Although I did manage to incorporate the Chelsea-Arsenal match into a paper last week...

Ok back to work until the next Goff update!

Posted by: Sec131 | December 9, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Of all the possible destinitions for Donovan (that have shown interest, not just names fans have thrown out there like Sevilla or whatever), Everton is my favorite. They're hurting with injuries, and I'd love to see what he and Pieenar (sp?) could do together.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | December 9, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | December 9, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Free copy of Dianetics with each Cruise replica.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 9, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

troy6: I saw that box score -- and looked him up on wiki. He has 27 goals in Germany! I don't understand it, either.

Does anyone else laugh at "Quim"?

Jacob: Sevilla doesn't need an LD, while Everton does. I hear that Belenenses needs midfield help, though.

Posted by: Reignking | December 9, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Make that two free copies of Dianetics (one for your wife) and one copy of "How To Be a Controlling Husband."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 9, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I like the idea of a World Club Championship but it's hard to schedule it at a time when teams will prioritize it over their more traditional competitions.

Outside of Barcelona and Estudiantes, this year's participants are uninspiring. CONCACAF sent Atlante, which is coming off a non-playoff season in Mexico. Al Ahly has been decent in the past but that was Al Ahly of Egypt. This year's contestant is Al Ahli of the United Arab Emirates.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | December 9, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I was going to leave the Quim alone, but since ya mentioned it Reignking...

I feel the same way VBB does about Landon in Europe. It's pointless unless he's in the starting XI of anywhere he goes. I'd be just as happy if he spent his winter riding bikes and trolling for Quim on southern Califronia beaches.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 9, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Interesting that Butt was backing up Quim...

Posted by: Reignking | December 9, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

@Reignking & Sec131

I have repeatedly inquired about Arena's status and have gotten 0 responses. I don't know why no one seems to know the status of Arena and the possibility of him coming here--maybe it is in fact a reality?...

Posted by: redskinsux | December 9, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I don't know why no one seems to know the status of Arena...
Posted by: redskinsux
===============

I don't know why we would.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 9, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Status of Arena: He is under contract as coach and general manager of the LA Galaxy. What more is there to know?

Posted by: Ron16 | December 9, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I don't know why no one seems to know the status of Arena...
Posted by: redskinsux
===============

he just got to LA. do you really think they signed him on a one year contract?

cool thing about Butt -- besides his name -- is that he used to join all of Benfica's African players for juggling games during half-time. the man does have ball skills.

Posted by: troy6 | December 9, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskinsux

1) I haven't seen anything, but that doesn't mean you haven't asked
2) What Ron said

Hey, why haven't I heard anything about Ancelotti's status? Hmm???

Posted by: Reignking | December 9, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

@Reignking & Sec131

Posted by: redskinsux

So, since he hasn't denied this rumor, there must be some truth to it.

redskinsux = Glenn Beck

Posted by: DCUSince96 | December 9, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ron16 | December 9, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Won't he be going to Everton now? I can't picture him doing well being so far away from his little Landycakes.

Posted by: Southeasterner | December 9, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

So, since he hasn't denied this rumor, there must be some truth to it.

redskinsux = Glenn Beck

Posted by: DCUSince96 | December 9, 2009 11:17 AM

You sir, have crossed the line!

Posted by: redskinsux | December 9, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Last I heard, Bruce Arena was the head coach and GM for the LA Galaxy. He took the team to the championship game, so the team ownership is probably pretty pleased with him. He's not going anywhere. End of story.

This from an article when he was hired: "He likes the weather in Southern California, and considers the stadium and training facilities in Carson among the best. And, of course, there's the two stars.

"As a coach, I look at this roster, we have Landon Donovan and David Beckham as a starting point. That's fabulous," Arena said, his face still glistening with sweat following his first Galaxy practice. "I think we have a good group of players to join in and make this a good team."

...And, having spent time with the U.S. team training in Southern California in the past, he didn't mind returning.

"The sun and the weather year-round I don't really like. I prefer the East Coast where it's 100 degrees and humid right now, and in the winter, I love the snow and the blizzards and all. I'm crazy to be here," said the New York native, known for his acerbic wit."

Posted by: fischy | December 9, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I still haven't heard anything on Ancelloti.

Posted by: Reignking | December 9, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Of course it makes sense for Landon to go to Everton. He will get experience going up against English defenders in preparation for the World Cup Group. Unless there are Algerians and Slovenians at Club America or Sevilla.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | December 9, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

"If you think he's leaving the league's premier franchise, where he has the league's 2 best players, the best weather, the best facilities, and the total control of a coach/GM that means his success isn't dependent on which players another GM gives him...to coach an aged DC United team without great prospects, playing in training in the league's oldest, most decrepit facility in a backwater, medium-size city to which no big foreign star would want to come...well, then I must congratulate you on your wild, vivid imagination."

--fischy

I have class now but I will definitely have a strong rebuttal to this later.

Posted by: redskinsux | December 9, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

--fischy

I have class now but I will definitely have a strong rebuttal to this later.

Posted by: redskinsux | December 9, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Write us when you have no class.

Posted by: Reignking | December 9, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Ahh classic American cinema.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 9, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Whew. No one got -- or replied to -- my Fast Times reference yesterday.

Posted by: Reignking | December 9, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I've been catching up on the past couple of days. I noticed that in one thread yesterday, Goff posted news concerning one Edwin Tenorio. It doesn't appear that anyone asked what I would have thought was the most obvious question about anyone named Tenorio.

Posted by: universityandpark | December 9, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

...in a backwater, medium-size city to which no big foreign star would want to come...
_________________________________________

Johan Cruyff came here, although admittedly that was a long time ago. The stadium was in better shape back then, but there weren't yet any brewpubs on the East Coast.

Posted by: universityandpark | December 9, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

"If you think he's leaving the league's premier franchise, where he has the league's 2 best players,"

Define 'league's premier franchise'. I think DC has been and continues to be widely viewed as the flagship club of this league.
To your second point, it should say where he HAD the league's 2 best players. Beckham is gone for sure and Donovan is 50/50.

" coach an aged DC United team without great prospects, playing in training in the league's oldest, most decrepit facility in a backwater, medium-size city to which no big foreign star would want to come."

LA has the oldest team in the league and DC has one of the youngest. (http://usasoccer.blogspot.com/2009/03/mls-team-ages.html)
Yes, RFK may be decrepit but it has a certain mystique and a great history to it. RFK atmosphere>LA stadium
Arena is from this backwater, medium sized city and fits him better than a city infatuated with the glamour of the celebrity status. Beckham is gone and so will all the hype!
Is Arena about building a team around one foreign superstar or building a club as a team?........

To Arena's positive remarks about being happy in LA--well of course he's going to say positive things when you are initially hired by a club. What did you think he was going to say?

If this is viewed a wild and vivid imagination than I say-- Joie de vivre!

Posted by: redskinsux | December 10, 2009 1:11 AM | Report abuse