Gone Fishin'

I'm on vacation until Jan. 4.

Well, except for the pesky matter of D.C. United hiring a coach (rhymes with "way squib quarter"). And any other breaking news. In case you haven't noticed, MLS has become a 51-week league, the only exception being the stretch between Christmas and New Year's -- at which time, you can meet me at Awful Arthur's for bivalve molluscs.

Check back here and on the Insider's Twitter page for periodic updates (such as the announcement moments ago of a USA friendly vs. Honduras Jan. 23 at Home Depot Center).

Thanks for another wonderful year! Cheers.

By Steve Goff  |  December 15, 2009; 11:05 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Misc. , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United Coaching Update
Next: Porter Staying at Akron

Comments

Happy Holidays Steve, Mrs. Insider and Juniors Insiders.

Thank YOU for another great year of the best soccer coverage the United States has to offer. Cap GOFF!

Posted by: DonDraper | December 15, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I am reaching for my MD 20/20.

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 15, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Cheers to you Goff, and an special thanks for all your soccer coverage.

Posted by: decoi | December 15, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Many thanks to you, Steve, for another informative and entertaining year.

What do we do until January 4?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 15, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

One of the advantages of having a crappy MLS season is that it has made Soccer Insider so much more entertaining. Thanks also to the regular posters.

Posted by: dccal | December 15, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the great work in 2009. Wishing you and yours a happy and healthy holiday.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 15, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Enjoy your well earned time off, Steve. Thank YOU for another terrific year of coverage. Happy Holidays!!

Posted by: Kev29 | December 15, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

"Gimme a lake and a fishing boat
Gimme four strong women, that's all she wrote
Slide away..."

Couldn't send you off without some lyrics, Steve.

A safe trip to you and the rest of Team Insider.

To my Insider Colleauges: my annual Insider Christmas present give-a-way is forthcoming later today...

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 15, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Enjoy the OBX

Posted by: carmines757 | December 15, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the soccer news you provided throughout the year. Enjoy your vacation!!

Posted by: Mig18 | December 15, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Steve, for another great year.

Happy Holidays to everyone and thanks for the insight and nonsense and everything in between you all bring to the forum.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | December 15, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the hard work!

Posted by: ussccr | December 15, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

The year is about done, any goal of the year candidates???? I personally like the Stuart Holden goal in the gold cup against Haiti. Last minute blast into the upper 90...

Posted by: Norteno4life | December 15, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Wait, this doesn't mean I have to work rather than check the Insider every 15 minutes, does it?

Posted by: rockotodd | December 15, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Americans Abroad: Brad Friedel is on FSC @ 2:30, as the Villans travel to the Stadium of Light; Marcus Hahnemann takes on ManUtd (2:45 if you have Setanta); In advance of the upcoming transfer window, Rangers will continue to showcase DaMarcus Beasley, taking on Dundee United today. Maurice Edu isn't expected to rejoin the lineup until the new year. Also, Mike Grella may get to play for Leeds as they take on some team purportedly named Accrington Stanley in the semifinals of a competition for the Johnson Paint Trophy (True!! The final will be played @ Wembley).

Who or what is Accrington Stanley? I'm not sure, but Tim at leeds.theoffside.com claims "They're dangerous"...

Posted by: fischy | December 15, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Crud, now I feel like my kids when mom and dad are out of the house.....I have to entertain myself *how*?

Worse yet, we'll all have to entertain each other....uh oh, here come the puns...

Posted by: 22206no1 | December 15, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

What they all said...

Thanks for everything, Steve.

Posted by: seahawkdad | December 15, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Rumor: Don Garber might leave MLS for US Olympic Committee chief executive. Is this good/bad news?

Posted by: blip_it | December 15, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Great reporting Steven. All the best during the holiday season!

Posted by: PremSoccerShop | December 15, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Goff for another year. Much blessings in this coming year to you and your family. Know you have a fan reading you everyday from all the way from Mosul, Iraq as Im serving here in a deployment!

Posted by: silentbat | December 15, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

@silentbat

Thanks for a reminder that there are more important things than Football. Thanks for your service. Stay safe, come home, Merry Christmas!!

Posted by: adhardwick | December 15, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Thanks for another great year on the Insider. I hope our page views and your tireless efforts pay off for the WaPo and yourself.

We look forward to a solid January featuring a SUPERdraft, Stadium Newzzz, and CBA Negotiation$.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | December 15, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for keeping us so well informed in 2009, Goff. Enjoy the holiday break ahead of a most exciting year for footie in North America and beyond...

Posted by: bartapest1 | December 15, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Great work this year, Steve! Enjoy your time off.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | December 15, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

SI.com is reporting that Klinsmann is returning to the U.S. with his family. Perhaps to coach DC United???
I wish.

Posted by: SeanWG | December 15, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

To be fair to SI.com, they made no mention of DC United. That is just my own wishful thinking.

Posted by: SeanWG | December 15, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Are the Nats really playing a friendly against Honduras?

Ha. Ha. Real funny.

If they're not playing Honduras, the joke is on me. If so, the joke is on all of us, since we've played them so frequently this year, and we must be playing North African and European teams in friendlies. Not Central America again. Geez.

Posted by: WorldCup | December 15, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I just saw on www.ussoccer.com that it is true. Here's a quote from their own press release on the matter:

"The U.S. faced Honduras four times in 2009 and earned a record of 4-0-0 against the Central American nation. The four matches tied a record for number of matches against one nation in a year for the U.S., matching 1973 when the U.S. faced Poland four times.
"

Yuck!

Posted by: WorldCup | December 15, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

@silentbat

Posted by: adhardwick | December 15, 2009 12:43 PM

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | December 15, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

@Blip_it:

If that turns out to be true about Garber, then we have a great chance to kick Kevin Payne upstairs: let him run the league and give us some fresh air in the FO.

Posted by: dsheon1 | December 15, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Enjoy your vacation Mr. Goff.

Posted by: dogboy | December 15, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

If I could give these away, I would. And to those of you I missed -- and there were many -- I'm sorry but I couldn't find some of the notes I made along the way, and my boss needs me to get back to work.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

To:

I-270, Exit 1 – A “good riddance” to a small, annoying and unwelcome guest. Forever.

BlackandRedRedDevil – Three tickets to see John Prine (with Mr. BaRRD and fischy)

Mastadon Juan – That you thoroughly enjoy your new stadium.

Fischy – See “BlackandRedRedDevil”

Kev29 – twin boys in 2010, and you paint their room "sea foam martian barf"

Troy6 – Front-row tickets to watch Terps hoops and soccer

22206no1 – A Neil Peart drum stick

Edgeonyou – You still have it

OWNTF – Watching your daughter play for the Washington Freedom

Juan-John – tickets to see Gordon Lightfoot

The_Dude_Abides1 – A free White Russian at Bowl America

Chest Rockwell – An MLS general manager position, and a signed Sarah Palin book.

Matte – dinner with the mayor

PmcP – you’re the waiter serving Matte and the mayor

Reignking - Coal

JacobfromAtlanta-ish – A WPS championship

JkR – A “shun” button for anyone who over-eggs the pudding

BolivianDCFan – You serve as the link between DC United and Tahichi Academy

Marksman37 (rightwinger) – A conceal-and-carry permit

Dadryan – The Perfect Wave

Dccal – Two gold stars for this post: “Speaking of Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" pretty much captures the U.S.-Costa Rica match: "The U.S. it's said always gives up for dead, when the goals at Saprissa come early."

JoeW1 – More thoughtful posts

Joshuaostevens – The four disc box set of “80s Hair Bands: The Collection”

Ogdennash – Mat’s ability to communicate with women

Kosh2 – dinner with Lionel Messi

Grubbsbl - dinner with Xavi

sec133row5 – the answer to Asmodeon’s killer

Southeasterner – Eddie Johnson’s biography

WorldCup – Eddie Money’s “Two Tickets to Africa”

Spikeman – spellcheck

Curious99 – first in line at United’s first home game next season

DCUMD – autographed Fred shirt

VamosUnited – Playoff tickets in 2010

alecw81 – Dinner with Glenn Beck

SportzNut21 – An autographed photo of Rich Rodriguez, and all of the rock lyrics I can send you

SoehntheExit – you already got yours

Dimesmakedollars – a coin-counting machine

VirginiaBlueBlood – Drinks on me at Ruth Chris’ Steakhouse… in Baltimore.

Croftonpost – Two tickets to Sean Hannity’s Freedom Concert

Yankiboy – An aged bottle of Puerto Rican rum

TheWashDipsSince88 – A signed Gene Mishalow Diplomats jersey

no_recess – A break

Universityandpark – two free hot dogs from the Messiah concession stand

Charisma_Man – You have all you need

HarkesyRules – Jaime Moreno’s grace under pressure

Jayrockers – Thx again!

SonicDeathMonkey – Dinner with Pat Onstad

Billindmd – Rush’s “Chronicles”

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 15, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

@worldcup: actually, this is a good friendly for exactly those reasons. The January camp will be about tweaking the lineup and trying some different lineups and players. Precisely because we know Honduras, we can better see how those tweaks compare to what we've done before. We have a baseline already. Against a different, new opponent there are more variables. Now if we're still playing concacaf teams in April we've got problems.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | December 15, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

joedoc1: So I'm Mr. Irrelevant? How do I get on your list? Be more snarky? Inject song lyrics into my posts? We Who Have Been Passed Over want to know!

Posted by: b18bolo | December 15, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

"The four matches tied a record for number of matches against one nation in a year for the U.S., matching 1973 when the U.S. faced Poland four times."

I remember that, that was the year when our local over-30 ZPA team billed themselves as the Polish National team (not a bad team mind you!).

Posted by: Barracudas | December 15, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

joedoc1 must have had a fair amount of Yuengling already...

Posted by: Barracudas | December 15, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Could be worse, bolo -- I got coal.

?

Posted by: Reignking | December 15, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

thanks, joedoc1. i've been getting sick of paying those capitalist b*stards at CoinStar 8.9% of my hard earned cash.

but seriously, 3 weeks without Goff? what am i supposed to do, interact with my family? heaven forfend.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | December 15, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

@joshuaostevens: I'll take that as a reasonable explanation. I'd still rather we play Tunisia, for example, but working from a baseline to tweak our lineup makes sense to me.

Posted by: WorldCup | December 15, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

One more item to add to Joe Doc's list: for silentbat and all of the Soldiers I have the privilege to minister to: 1) time with your family; 2) victory; 3) peace.

Amen.

Posted by: dcarmy | December 15, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

joe,
thanks for the reminder that I am chopped liver.
bh4g

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | December 15, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

He must've been compiling that list for a while...or has amazing recall...

Posted by: Reignking | December 15, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

@joedoc1

I was really hoping for a lump of coal and a coach for DCU.

Posted by: no_recess | December 15, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Affirmative, Reignking. I had at least another 20 I wanted to include, but I can't locate the file. Alas!

My list for NEXT year is already underway. So B4G, b18, dcarmy and others... look for your "gift" then!

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 15, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@joedoc1

I was really hoping for a lump of coal and a coach for DCU.

Posted by: no_recess | December 15, 2009 2:58 PM

After the Soehn experiment I can only hope that is two separate requests.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | December 15, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

alecw81 – Dinner with Glenn Beck

What on earth did he do to deserve that punishment?

Posted by: delantero | December 15, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Spikeman – spellcheck

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 15, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

It was olny once ;)

Posted by: spikeman | December 15, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

To Joe Doc: Soccer and gymnastics scholarships for your children and the ability to decline them because they've accepted academic scholarships. And the entire Molly Hatchet catalog for your iPod.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 15, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Reignking -- I wanted JoeDoc to give you a copy of Strunk and White irregarless you don't need it.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | December 15, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

joedoc's holiday letter!!!

DMB scored (described on Talksport) a "fantastic" goal for Rangers at Dundee United.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 15, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Noooooo what will I do??!! Jan 4th??? Enjoy your break Goff, you've deserved it!

Posted by: redskinsux | December 15, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Have a safe and happy holidays to you and your family, Goff.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | December 15, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Mele Kalikimaka to one and all!
Thanks for providing the goods year round Steve!
Looking forward to a great 2010 filled with exciting soccer for all!
Hope to match some more Insider's faces to their handles in the new year. Still owe ya some pints BaRRD! My daughter should be up for a tailgate and a game perhaps next season.

Thanks for the laughs this year folks. It's always a pleasure.

And yo JD! Toes on the nose braddah!
Aloha.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 15, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Could be worse, bolo -- I got coal.
?
Posted by: Reignking
==============

I think he is giving you your own energy independence. But with all the rain you've had, maybe you can exchange it for a waterwheel.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 15, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

JoeDoc: Can the Dinner be at the Melting Pot, so I can toss pots of bubbling cheese and chocolate in his face?

Posted by: alecw81 | December 15, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Fischy, I'm afraid only one of your Americans Abroad 'keepers won today. Actually, I'm thrilled, but I'm trying to be patriotic here.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | December 15, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

PS Ryan Nelsen (not really an American Abroad but we DCU fans still claim him) scored, however it was in vain.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | December 15, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

What we need is for the Post to set up an auto-blog mechanism that creates a new post simply to give contributors and lurkers a new comment thread each day. Then, we can continue to waste time checking for "updates."

Better yet, how about a "Best of SI, 2009" agent that picks the best postings from Goff, longest comments from Chest, best flames from DadRyan, best call-outs from JoeDoc, etc., and puts them up for further comment.

Enjoy time with the family, Goff. I'm sure that we'll all get around to doing the same once the withdrawal symptoms subside.

Posted by: figgy_va | December 15, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Are we seeing the resurrection of DaMarcus Beasley? I'm not sure how to feel about that. Sure, he he can produce moments with his speed -- if he's gotten that back -- but...

Posted by: fischy | December 15, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I hope he keeps it up. Regardless of where you stand on whether or not he should be on the MNT, having productive players competing for roster slots is a nice problem for Bradley to have.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 15, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Just as we couldn't quit DMB until screw up after screw up, we can't pencil him as the starter at left mid (or back, gulp) because he is starting to play and play well.

Posted by: Reignking | December 15, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: addick | December 15, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Ooh, a dart board! Just what I always wanted!!

But...who needs lyrics? I'm an air guitarist, man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGvRWVF6P3k (that's me on stage, at the 1:38 mark)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | December 15, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Happy Holidays Goff!

And, maybe, you'll know to punch Spencer in the face should you come across them again!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | December 15, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Happy New Year, Goff.

Posted by: glfrazier | December 15, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

See you next year, Goff.

...You know this means the entire structure of MLS, CONCACAF, and FIFA will change in the next few weeks, right?

Posted by: B_A_ | December 15, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

...heaven forfend.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | December 15, 2009 2:32 PM

+++++++++++++++++

... and you use this gem up on day 1...

Anyone else shocked to hear the Beasley video in Italian (?) Really? Rangers - Dundee has an Italian audience? Nice vid quality, though.

Thanks for the shout, JoeDoc. Happy holidays to you and yours.

And thank you, Steve, for your work, your standards, and for putting up with us.

Posted by: JkR- | December 15, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

alecw81 – Dinner with Glenn Beck

What on earth did he do to deserve that punishment?

Posted by: delantero | December 15, 2009 3:13 PM
================================================
Punishment? I got dinner with Pat "I'm the world's biggest tool" Onstad!! I'd rather have an ice pick jabbed in my eye! What did I ever do to JoeDoc? ;)

Seriously tho, Christmas is a stressful and almost depressing time for me, so to be able to laugh as much as I did at that means a lot. Thanks JoeDoc. Merry Christmas to you, and everyone else on this site.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | December 15, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Porter is staying at Akron...

Posted by: Barracudas | December 15, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Good. Now we can go after Klinsmann. He said he wouldn't consider another Bundesliga offer, and MLS is no Bundesliga.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 15, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: figgy_va | December 15, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

My Goff, my Goff, why hast thou forsaken us?

Posted by: fret44 | December 15, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Porter: "I'd like $200,000 a year, I bring my Akron staff with me, and I want a new stadium built by 2012."

DCU: "We can give you $65,000 a year and we'll re-turf RFK after the college bowl game."

Porter:

DCU: "OK, $70,000 and a new Jetta."

Akron Beacon headline: "Porter to Stay with Zips"

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | December 15, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

109 days until I'm first in line at United's first 2010 home league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | December 15, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OhBoyOhBoy | December 15, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Steve:

Your personal fame and soccer insight reaches out all the way down to Texas Soccer Republic.

For many years we have been saying the same thing: you and the Washington Post offer some of the best soccer information in the U.S.

Wish our so call "Texas Newspapers" would do the same and forget for a while their blind obsession with the gridiron.

To you and to all your faithful readers --like ourselves-- the best of holidays.

Efren95
Texas Soccer Republic

Posted by: EFREN95 | December 15, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

I need to make lists, too...of the whiners.

Such as those whining about the coaching search. Wouldn't they have egg on their faces if this rumor proves true?

Posted by: Reignking | December 15, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Beasley for right mid!

Looks like Klinsmann, i'd be ok with it, but honestly i'm not sure how good a coach he is. BUT, he's a big name, gives us a lot of good pub, plus he's motivated to stay in the US, so its not like he's just hanging out or trying to get back to Europe as quick as he can.

Any other names? Besides Onalfo i guess. That'd be a little bit of a let down after all the speculation. Who would Klinsy bring with him??? Klose? Yeah, i'm dreaming, but how cool would that be? He might be the 4th choice now behind Gomez, Olic and Muller so who knows?

Posted by: Brian76 | December 15, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

JoeDoc, make my day.

Well, the good news is that Goff will have to come back now and tell us how the Porter deal blew up.

Looks like Porter played DCU like a grand piano, parlaying the interest here into a five-year deal that, methinks, might have entailed a raise. Considering that you can buy a house in northwest Ohio for about the price of remodeling your kitchen in Washington, that if he does stay five years at Akron he will have an epic record, including for loyalty, and will only be 39, I'd say he's had a pretty good week. If he keeps playing his cards this well, he'll be ready to coach the national team for the 2022 World Cup.

Posted by: dccal | December 15, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

re: Honduras game.
Not an international date. Thus, the best we can do. Better to play than not.
Goff: happy holidays
DC Fans and Insider supporters: thanks for the humor, insight and support. This ship shall once again be righted.

Posted by: billq1 | December 15, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Happy Holidays to the Goff family and the Soccer Insider Nation!

Posted by: beltwayrob | December 16, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Best soccer writer in America. We're glad we have you, Goff! Merry Holidays or whatever you do.

Posted by: JRandomReader | December 16, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Awful Arthur's is a great spot. I had one of the best meals in my lifetime there.

Posted by: PeteO1 | December 16, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Considering that you can buy a house in northwest Ohio for about the price of remodeling your kitchen in Washington...
________________________________________

Actually, Akron is in the northeast, but that statement applies to nearly the entire state of Ohio.

Posted by: universityandpark | December 16, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Universityandpark – two free hot dogs from the Messiah concession stand
__________________________________________

Thank you, but perhaps I should exchange with (or regift to) one of the several people who follow this blog who actually live near Messiah. I pass through Gros/Olsen country on personal business with some frequency, but I've never managed to work a Messiah game (men's or women's) into my itinerary.

But that reminds of my wish for the whole group. I may or may not have previously mentioned a weekend trip earlier this fall that involved an overnight stay in that area. That Saturday evening there was a USMNT game and a DCU game. What several Web sites touted as the best sports bar in Mechanicsburg wasn't able to supply either one. They didn't carry FSC or BSPN Classic or whatever outlet was airing the MNT game, and their CSN was the Philly feed. (Oh, well. At least people in that area might get to see some Union and Liberty games next year.) And this is the burg that produced Josh Gros, no less.

So my wish for everyone is that we will succeed in identifying more and more soccer-friendly watering holes, along the Route 15 corridor and everywhere else we may happen to travel. If these places offer free WiFi access, all the better.

And I also join everyone in thanking Goff for all his accomplishments over the past year, although at this point I'm reminded of a Groucho Marx quote: "Let me be the last to congratulate you."

Posted by: universityandpark | December 16, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse