Matchnight: College Cup

Greetings from Cary, where a bitterly cold evening awaits the College Cup.

#2 Virginia vs. #3 Wake Forest, 5 p.m. ET (ESPN2)
#1 Akron vs. #5 North Carolina, tentatively 7:30 (ESPNU)

If necessary, 20 minutes of sudden-death overtime and penalty kicks will decide the winner.

As you can imagine, most, if not all, MLS clubs are represented here with a variety of front office personnel, head coaches and assistants among the bundled masses at WakeMed Soccer Park, a multi-field complex a few miles southwest of Raleigh.

In the opener, the midfielders to watch are Wake junior Corben Bone, a Hermann Trophy finalist, and UVA's Tony Tchani, a 6-foot-4 sophomore playmaker with pace, strength and foot skills. (Can you say, Generation Adidas?) I'm also impressed by Virginia's outside backs, sophomores Hunter Jumper and Shawn Barry, who work the flanks fluidly and cross well.

Enjoy the games.....

By Steve Goff  |  December 11, 2009; 4:28 PM ET
Categories:  College Soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: All-Americans Announced
Next: Saturday Kickaround

Comments

Hunter Jumper? Man, I've seen bumper stickers for that dude all over Virginia, especially in Middleburg . . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | December 11, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Stay warm Goff!

Posted by: PremSoccerShop | December 11, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

GO DEACS! i'm really hoping the third time is the charm for us against the cavs this year. regardless of the outcome it should be a great game to watch...a lot of talent on both teams.

Posted by: akdeac31 | December 11, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I've got to say that WF has been dominating...UVa got lucky when a chipshot hit the crossbar.

Posted by: Reignking | December 11, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Wahoo fans boo every clean Wake tackle and every legit foul on a Deacon, don't they? It's giving me a headache.

Wake look pretty awesome. Speaking strictly as a neutral, I'd love to see Wake vs Akron in the final.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | December 11, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Rob Vartughian is sitting with the Philadelphia Union coaches....

Posted by: J_S_F | December 11, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Goal! Tchane! 1-0 Wahoos! Nice bit of skill by Villanuva in the box, gets his own shot parried to Tchane for clean up.

Posted by: JkR- | December 11, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Gooool Tchiani!

Great playing by Villanueva to get the initial shot...Tchiani gets the rebound.

Posted by: Reignking | December 11, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Dude needs to change his name. If ReignKing and I and Goff all come up with a different spelling, it's time to change.

In the future, I'm referring to Goff's spelling...

Posted by: JkR- | December 11, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Deflected goal in for Wake! 1-1!

Posted by: JkR- | December 11, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

We can try it phonetically -- Sheani.

goal WF off of a deflection

Villanueva...blows a great chance...

Posted by: Reignking | December 11, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

BTW this is a good match...very good quality.

Posted by: Reignking | December 11, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, RK, good stuff, Wake is relentless going forward, UVA just organized all over the field.

Posted by: JkR- | December 11, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

What a fantastic penetrating pass there to force a WF keeper save...

Posted by: Reignking | December 11, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Overtime...time.

Posted by: Reignking | December 11, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Villanueva reminds me of an extremely younger Christian Gomez - I hope he could drop down to Superdraft pick 7 so we can pick him up - doubt it.

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | December 11, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Gooooooooooooooolllllllllllll!

Ownby, breakaway, golden goal in OT. UVA advances. Villanueva with a great ball over the top, beats Opara.

Posted by: JkR- | December 11, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

UVA WINS WOO HOO

Posted by: tailwagger | December 11, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Awesome game, even better ending. Too bad the College Cup is smack in the middle of exams... I'd definitely be in NC otherwise. Ownby showing why he went to Egypt this past fall with the U-20s. Can someone please explain why Corben Bone won offensive player of the year, when he has fewer goals AND assists than De Luz, on his same team??

Posted by: carmines757 | December 11, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

So, when does the game with our soon-to-be coach start -- stupid reporting about foolish kids on campus is all there is on ESPNU. Or, is game going on but not on ESPNU?

Posted by: fentysupporter | December 11, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

it's weird. It's supposed to be in espnu but there's no program note or anything. I assume there is a break between matches which is the reason for the delay.

Posted by: fedssocr | December 11, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Hokay, here we go

Posted by: fentysupporter | December 11, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Just curious- what was the story about "foolish kids on campus"?

Posted by: carmines757 | December 11, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Just curious- what was the story about "foolish kids on campus"?

Posted by: carmines757 | December 11, 2009 8:04 PM
=============================

Yeah, good question, I'm calling my kids....

Posted by: JkR- | December 11, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Akron's players have serious Velcro on their boots. Best individual control I recall from an NCAA side...

Posted by: JkR- | December 11, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Wahoowa!

Posted by: UVAtoRFK | December 11, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Wahoowa!!!

Posted by: dcbird | December 11, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't follow the college game (simply no time to), but managed to see the UVA/Wake game on ESPN360 tonight. While it had a dramatic ending, I was pretty dismayed at the general state of play, especially that of UVA. Way too many passes straight to the other team, players with no pressure on them sending passes out of bounds, tons of meaningless long balls to no one. Wake was at least showing some group mentality and running off the ball. Villaneuva has some nice ball kills (as seen on the first goal) but he also dribbles himself into defenders way too often. Would like to see the NC/Akron game for comparison, but it's not online apparently.

Posted by: edgeonyou | December 11, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

It is online. Atdhe.net and the UVA/WF game was very subpar for both teams

Posted by: carmines757 | December 11, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | December 11, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that both matches have reached OT and now the Akron match is going to the second OT period with UNC down a man and probably hoping for PKs.

Posted by: sitruc | December 11, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm mad high school basketball is being preempted for the College Cup.

Posted by: sitruc | December 11, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Akron takes the lead after a DC-native on UNC misses his PK. How's that for a local angle?

Posted by: sitruc | December 11, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Akron continues their undefeated season and reaches the final to take on UVA.

Posted by: sitruc | December 11, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

IF we do end up with Porter as coach he'll fit right in with the way DCU plays. No players who can cross the ball effectively, a lot of useless back and square passes, can't score up a man for almost 40 minutes. I was not impressed with this showing. Maybe it was just this one game but count me as saying we can do better.

Posted by: owendylan | December 11, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I thought Wake looked to be the best squad. They had the best touch and the fastest speed of thought. They should have beaten UVA IMHO, and I think they could beat Akron.

Posted by: b18bolo | December 11, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

""IF we do end up with Porter as coach he'll fit right in with the way DCU plays. No players who can cross the ball effectively, a lot of useless back and square passes, can't score up a man for almost 40 minutes.
Posted by: owendylan""

You left out something. They are 23-0-1. They won. They are in the Cup Final.

Posted by: delantero | December 12, 2009 1:27 AM | Report abuse

I am pleased to see that the Post has an in-person reporter on the scene . . . . of course, the Akron beacon Journal has Tom Gaffney there . . . . the NYTimes doesn't give a nod to college soccer.

rmk/akron

Posted by: rmkraus | December 12, 2009 2:46 AM | Report abuse

I understand the criticism of the teams, but I've seen a few College matches, and these teams looked like Arsenal v Barca compared to most.

Posted by: JkR- | December 12, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

I take back my snarky comment from earlier this week about the dreadful Stoke - Wigan match.

It's been epic. Watch for highlights to see a free kick goal taken from the defensive half.

Posted by: JkR- | December 12, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

now I remember why I don't watch college soccer. ug. that unc/zips match was a snoozer, and I was not impresses w/the play. no idea how the zips went undefeated. if their coach becomes ours, I hope he'll rise to the challenge.

Posted by: nairbsod | December 12, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Personally, I liked the way the Zips played...though I only saw up through the middle of the 2nd half since the game started late and my DVR didn't get the memo. I thought the Zips looked fluid, put on good defensive pressure up and down the field, and were only stifled in the final third because of a tight UNC defense. I'm hoping Porter becomes our coach, secondarily because of Akron's quality, but primarily because he has a cockiness that would bring back the swagger DCU used to display in its heyday.

For all you haters out there criticizing Akron's inability to put the ball in the net last night, remember they were the best scoring team in the nation this year.

Posted by: DaninFL | December 12, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

We have the wonderful phenomenon known as March Madness, precisely because hoops fans do not generally go around whining about how the college game is not up to the level of the NBA. Of course it isn't. From the Little League World Series to NCAA championships, these competitions have their own internal dynamic. Whether the game is played at a higher technical level somewhere else has little do with it, nor should it. Perhaps someday we will discover a planet in a distant galaxy on which they play football at a level that makes the EPL and La Liga look like U14 leagues by comparison. So what?

There is always the potential to interest American sports fans in competitions with familiar brand names such as Notre Dame and UCLA associated with them. They will always generate more interest than brand names associated with far-off places. We should be capitalizing on that fact.

Posted by: universityandpark | December 12, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

You left out something. They are 23-0-1. They won. They are in the Cup Final.

Posted by: delantero | December 12, 2009 1:27 AM
____________________________________________
Yeah, in college, BFD. They won in PK's which is a crapshoot at best. If we wanted this kind of play we should have kept Soehn. Color me not impressed.

Posted by: owendylan | December 12, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse