MLS Scouting Combine Rosters

The league has invited 62 seniors from 44 schools to participate in the scouting combine, which will take place Jan. 8-12 in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Players who decide to leave school early could be added to the list at a later date. (The draft is Jan. 14 in Philadelphia.)

Best name: Two-Boys Gumede, a South African-born attacker from Alabama-Birmingham.

GOALKEEPERS: Brooks Haggerty (North Carolina); Jovan Bubonja (Illinois-Chicago); Frederick Hall (Quinnipiac); Brian Perk (UCLA); John Moore (Stanford).

DEFENDERS: Kevin Tangney (Maryland); Olukorede Aiyegbusi (North Carolina State); Tim Ream (Saint Louis); Kwame Watson-Siriboe (Connecticut); Phil Edginton (Louisville); Ben Clack (St. John's); Justin Morrow (Notre Dame); Ofori Sarkodie (Indiana); Martin Hadevag (UC Santa Barbara); Chad Borak (Cal State-Northridge); Chris Schuler (Creighton); Julien Edwards (Drake); Kris Banghart (Denver); Nick Cardenas (San Diego State); Tyler Barry (California); Adam Welch (Lehigh); Steven Kinney (Elon); Ryan Peterman (San Diego).

MIDFIELDERS/FORWARDS: Samuel Appiah (Boston University); Carlos Villa (Hartford); Zack Schilawski (Wake Forest); Zach Loyd (North Carolina); Austin da Luz (Wake Forest); Drew Yates (Maryland); Ronnie Bouemboue (North Carolina State); Ross LaBauex (Virginia); Joseph Noone (Temple); Isaac Kissi (Dayton); Mike Seamon (Villanova); Othaniel Yanez (Louisville); Steffen Vroom (DePaul); Fred Braun (Louisville); Michael Thomas (Notre Dame); Toni Stahl (Connecticut); Mike Pezza (Connecticut); Nelson Becerra (St. John's); Bright Dike (Notre Dame); Jason Yeisley (Penn State); Mauro Fuzetti (Michigan); Eric Alexander (Indiana); Irving Garcia (UC Irvine); David Walker (UC Santa Barbara); Andrew Hoxie (William & Mary); Nane Joseph (Old Dominion); Two-Boys Gumede (Alabama-Birmingham); Andre Akpan (Harvard);Craig Henderson (Dartmouth); Nick Elenz-Martin (Brown);Kwaku Nyamekye (Harvard); Seth Sinovic (Creighton); Justin Davis (New Mexico); Kyle Nakawaza (UCLA); Michael Stephens (UCLA); David Estrada (UCLA); Adam Welch (Lehigh); Conor O'Brien (Bucknell) Collen Warner (Portland); Conor Chinn (San Francisco).

By Steve Goff  |  December 10, 2009; 10:59 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Kickaround
Next: Fire Interviews Fraser

Comments

Two-Boys Gumede. Can we get him with a single pick?

It's important to form opinions about these guys based upon whether or not they have funny names.

Who can forget the greatness of Craig "Zinedine" Ziadie, Justin the mighty Moose or Nick Van Sicklen (Sick and Gros were supposed to make opposing defenses ill)...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | December 10, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Second place:

Bright Dike (Notre Dame)

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 10, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Two-Boys and Boyzzz would make a good pair...ummm triad... whatever.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 10, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

there are a lot of whacky names in there.

a guy named Steffen Vroom has to be fast right? unless hes the ironic sort.

Posted by: VTUnited | December 10, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I will stop before I go all Chris Berman. OK, just one Ronnie "Boom Boom" Bouemboue.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 10, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know the likely hood of a Senior college player earning a spot on an MLS team if they are not invited to the combine?

Posted by: jag99 | December 10, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

You started it, I-270:

Frederick "Deck The" Hall (Quinnipiac)

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 10, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Will Goff confirm Donovan's loan deal being completed?
Those Everton away jerseys are kinda nice...

Posted by: DadRyan | December 10, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

The AP report has a quote from an Everton exec. So it seems like a serious negotiation, although not yet final.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 10, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Conor "The Hair of My Chinny Chin" Chinn (San Francisco)

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 10, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Andrew "Moxie" Hoxie (William & Mary)

Posted by: seahawkdad | December 10, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

David Walker (UC Santa Barbara) was a teammate of "party boy" Pontius. He had ten goals and four assists this year as a forward. I think he would be a good target.

Posted by: no_recess | December 10, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: no_recess | December 10, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Joseph "Don't Tell" Noone (Temple)

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 10, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Isaac ("Huggy") Kissi

Posted by: OWNTF | December 10, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Samuel Appiah . . any relation?

Impressive resume, I'd put him on the short list from this alone . . From BU site . .
""Played for the University of Ghana in 2005-06 ... Participated in the Ghana Youth National Team program ... Spent four years (age 13-17) with the AJAX Football Club's African Youth Academy "

Posted by: delantero | December 10, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Ben "Click and" Clack (St. John's);

Posted by: delantero | December 10, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Ok, Ok, last one...

Ben "Yackity Yack, Don't Come" Clack (St. John's)

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 10, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Vroom-Stahl would be a bad pair. My car in the shop, so today I'm a Walker.

Othaniel Yanez (Louisville) to Fred Braun (Louisville) - We gotta go. Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah.

I said I wasn't going Berman. All other puns are on the table.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 10, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

A little surprised that Neil Barlow (UVa) isn't on this list.

Posted by: soccerman | December 10, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Mike "Here's My Donation Of" Seamon

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 10, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Only one UVA player on that list.

Posted by: ol-brob | December 10, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

judging by the names, someone up in the New England area is doing some hard recruiting in Ghana. sure would like DCU to spring for a plane ticket to look at some of the talent out there and stop going to Argentina every year.

Posted by: troy6 | December 10, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

you could get FedEx as a shirt sponsor for any team that drafted Justin "You'll get it to" Morrow.

Posted by: troy6 | December 10, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Conor "Leno's Monster" Chinn

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 10, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know the likely hood of a Senior college player...?

My guess is a Senior college player lives in a group house with other soccer players...unless you're claiming they're likely to be hoods, in which case, sir, I say: "Them's fightin' words!"

Frederick Hall? We had one of those at my school. I think that's where the language classes met. On a serious note, is he any
relation to Dynamo 'keeper Tally Hall?

Finally, on the subject of names -- watching the scroll on Sky Sorts...there's a cricketer named Ryan Sidebottom. Ya gotta feel for this guy. Someday, some jerk will be getting on Ryan's bad side, and then he'll be just a tad familiar in calling him "Ry" or even just "Ryan". The poor chap can't get very indignant and say "It's Mr. Sidebottom to you", can he?

Posted by: fischy | December 10, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

No Akron Zips in that list. Caleb Porter must be a heck of a coach.

Posted by: jamest1 | December 10, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Irving Garcia. I mean, seriously, Irving Garcia? I'm a Jewish sort-of Mexican-American, and even I think "Irving Garcia" is ridiculous.

Posted by: fischy | December 10, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Kris Bang-"Melissa Joan"-hart

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 10, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Maybe his parents passed on Mordecai and Shlomo.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 10, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Conor "whatever happened to Jon" O'Brien?

Posted by: jezz | December 10, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

How did players get on this list again?

For some reason I think I remember that players got invited based on more than one MLS coach/team asking for them to be invited. So if only one team is looking at a player or they think they found someone and no one else knows about that player is not going to be invited.

Posted by: cmsore | December 10, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Assuming Two-Boys is drafted, as I Kentuckian I'm proud to say the best two names in MLS, Boyzzzz and Two-Boys have big ties to my state. Both went to H.S. in KY and one, Boyzzz, started college in KY (Lindsey Wilson---NAIA mega power) before heading to coastal Carolina. One Kentuckian I'm disappointed and surprised not see on the list is George Mason keeper Sean Kelley. He's a professional no question.

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | December 10, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

"Only one UVA player on that list."

Wait a couple years, it'll be chock full

Posted by: carmines757 | December 10, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Isaac ("Huggy") Kissi

Posted by: OWNTF | December 10, 2009 12:34 PM |
---------------------------------------------

are you sure it wouldn't be
Isaac "no huggy no" Kissi? ;-)

someone may now commence with Georgia Satellite lyrics......

What an undistinguished group. Of course I have not watched as much college soccer this year as I normally like, and I have heard how weak this year's draft is overall anyway so I guess I should not be surprised at the number of folks I have never heard of......

Posted by: dcufan | December 10, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

troy6:

The idea that we only scout in Argentina is something of a canard, since we currently have more Africans (3) than Argentines (1).

The trick isn't where we get the players from. It's whether the players are good. Both places have plenty of good players, but there are problems in acquiring them. In Argentina, the players worth getting are often making more money in a more prestigious league at home. In Africa, many players have an easy time getting work permits in whatever Euro power colonized their country.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 10, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

are you sure it wouldn't be
Isaac "no huggy no" Kissi? ;-)

someone may now commence with Georgia Satellite lyrics......

"...don't gimme no lines and keep your hands to yourself."

(and remember, YOU ASKED FOR IT!)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | December 10, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Brian Perk "O'late."

Olukorede Aiyegbus, uh, we'll just call you "Joe."

True story . . I was a teacher in a small town calling roll on the first day of class and came to the name "Trakeia"

I said "Trachea?" She said, "Here!"

Posted by: delantero | December 10, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse