Monday Kickaround

*The long-awaited introduction of Erik Soler as New York Red Bulls' sporting director will occur today. Next task: naming a coach. With a European overseeing the search, does interim Richie Williams have a chance?

*In the build-up to the World Cup, how about a USA-Northern Ireland friendly?

*Wayne Rooney's reaction to USA vs. England? Zzzzz. Well, not really. But he was asleep when the pairing was announced.

*North Carolina upends previously unbeaten Stanford, 1-0, for the NCAA women's championship.

*Video from Real Madrid's 4-2 victory over Almeria in which Real scored three times in the final 17-plus minutes, Cristiano Ronaldo drew a penalty kick, missed the PK (only to watch Karim Benzema convert the rebound) and was later red-carded:

By Steve Goff  |  December 7, 2009; 9:26 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , College Soccer , MLS , Spain , U.S. men's national team , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans Abroad
Next: D.C. United Coaching Update

Comments

Kind of hard to tell from that footage, but Benzema sure got deep into the box for that rebound.

That foul by Ronaldo was nasty -- might be seeing some extra sanctions.

Posted by: edgeonyou | December 7, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Benzema never even started outside of the box. What are the officials looking at?

Posted by: FrancoNiell | December 7, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I would like to take this moment to thank myself. My VAF donations paved the way for UVA to advance to the College Cup this weekend!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | December 7, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

You can thank all of the Hokies who bought football tickets from the UVA ticket office for buying out Groh and bringing in someone who will continue to recruit New Jersey like no other, VirginiaBlueBlood.

Posted by: sitruc | December 7, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

110 days until United's first 2010 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | December 7, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

In Madrid, the fans are starting to call Cristiano Ronaldo "La niña malcriada".

Posted by: fedster | December 7, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Little Franco is right. Benzema was in the box before Ronaldo took the PK... and he was right next to the ref.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | December 7, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

being a new dad myself, I can totally relate to Rooney.

Posted by: nairbsod | December 7, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

so can you still get a straight red if you have one yellow? That way you get suspended, but your yellow carries over still?

Posted by: Pete803 | December 7, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood
==============

So maybe the reason that the Florida women don't make it past the first round is that I'm too cheap to donate to the Alumni Assoc.? Well, that's bad news for the Gators. They'll have to settle for SEC titles.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 7, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

whats malcriada mean?

Posted by: OWNTF | December 7, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Shattered Rooney is still struggling to adapt to sleepless nights following the birth of his son Kai on November 2.
=======================

I had no idea Rooney was that big a fan of Natasha and the US womens team!

Posted by: OWNTF | December 7, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"Spoiled little girl".

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | December 7, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

"The Brat"

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 7, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Apparently Mike London will be announced today -- http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cavaliers-journal/

Does anyone care about bowl games anymore? They are spaced out, teams I know nothing about, bowl games I've never heard of (papajohns bowl?). Who really wants to travel and spend $$$ to watch their 6-6 team in 40 degree weather?

Posted by: Reignking | December 7, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Goff, have you heard anything else on Emilio? Is he going back to mexico,honduras, or even japan this off season?

And any idea if DC will drop money on another DP if he leaves?

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | December 7, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

As a Richmond grad, the Mike London news makes me very sad indeed. First App State rips our hearts out on Saturday, then UVA takes the man who led us to a national championship. And of course, UR soccer continues to stink. If it weren't for basketball, it'd be a sad time to be a Spider. And even though we're 7-1 right now, I'm still not optimistic.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | December 7, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Literally malcriada is "poorly raised."

Mal "bad," criar "to raise."

Posted by: fallschurch1 | December 7, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Which is more deserving of Schadenfreude, Ronaldo being sent off or Hugo Sanchez losing? Decisions, decisions.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 7, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 7, 2009 11:35 AM

I think every one here can guess my answer!

Spoiled little girl, indeed.

Interesting juxtaposition. Rooney has matured since marrying and having a kid. Asleep in his London hotel room at 5:00 pm on a Saturday night.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | December 7, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VercengetorixII | December 7, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------

And as a JMU grad, we understand playoff hurt to that team better than most. Really felt bad for you guys on Saturday, but honestly I wouldn't worry too much about London - all he proved was that he could win with Clawson's guys. It's gonna be at least another full season before you can have idea of what kind of recruiter you lost, who knows, he may sink UVA even lower.

And I'm more than a little upset about your 8700 seater - how are we supposed to take it over now? ;)

Posted by: Josh86 | December 7, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"Wayne Rooney's reaction to USA vs. England? Zzzzz."

Just can't get the image of that Setanta puppet snoozing on a couch out of my mind.

Posted by: Phil_McCracken | December 7, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Actually I have to claim credit for UVA's success. UVA has neither lost nor even given up a goal since I posted, on this and other forums, that "UVA has no true strikers... they won't do anything in either the ACCs or the NCAAs". I piled on by criticising Gelnovatch's sideline attire (at NC State season finale it was a ratty t-shirt and moth-eaten warm-up pants).

No doubt all this motivated team and coach to no end, accounting for their unbeaten and clean-sheet streak. They have the Big Mo now, which may carry them to the Cup.

Jokes aside, what is it anyway about UVA coaches sideline attire? I'm thinking mainly about former coach Al Groh, whose grungy sweathshirts made him look like he stumbled in off skid row, and as previously mentioned, George Gelnovatch, whose scraggly T-shirts and mousy warm-ups look like they came from a Northeast DC flea market.

Posted by: Ron16 | December 7, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

@Vercengetorixll,

And hopefully soon we'll be sneaking Mr. Ayers West on I-64!

I care about Bowl Games! I'm currently torn about whether United will have to open 2010 defending the Army/UCLA endzone or the Temple Owls endzone!!!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | December 7, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know why Richie Williams is not under consideration for DCU Coach?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | December 7, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

That PK should have been retaken. The defender waited for the kick, Benzema didn't and moved into the penalty area, and Benzema had an unfair advantage in getting to the ball first. To me, it's no different than being clearly offside and scoring a goal.

(I think this is when someone responds by saying, "Hey, it happens all the time. To demand a re-take would be like getting a ticket for driving 57 mph in a 55 zone" or something like that).

And Ronaldo was pretty much reacting to getting a knock upside the head a moment earlier (it's clearer on the replay). Pretty poor response to it, though... could have broken the guy's leg.

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 7, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "skid row"?!

"Ricky was a young boy, he had a heart of stone
Lived 9 to 5 and worked his fingers to the bone
Just barely got out of school, came from the edge of town
Fought like a switchblade so no one could take him down
He had no money, oooh no good at home
He walked the streets a soldier and he fought the world alone
And now it's

18 and life you got it
18 and life you know
Your crime is time and it's
18 and life to go..."

Skid Row, "18 and Life," 1989

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 7, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ron16

Look who his mentor is -- that homeless guy in a cut-off Patriots sweatshirt.

Posted by: Reignking | December 7, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joedoc1

I'm not sure what the rule says on this one, but retaking the penalty hardly seems fair, since the first penalty was already saved. Why should Madrid get a second chance?

Posted by: BooThisMan | December 7, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

@VBB - PLEASE don't take Ayers. He's doing a great job in my opinion, and our previous President was a disaster from every perspective (except fundraising, because a few of the super-big donors liked him for some reason).

@VirginiaFan - I would have to assume that either the club or Richie has decided to go in a different direction. I would think it's pretty likely that they at least talked to him - I don't think he was never under consideration - but for whatever reason it didn't work out. From my perspective, I'd say we accept it and move on and hope for the best with whoever the FO decides on. I just want a decision.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | December 7, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

In Madrid, the fans are starting to call Cristiano Ronaldo "La niña malcriada".

Posted by: fedster
---------------------

you get what you pay for...

Posted by: troy6 | December 7, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

True that troy.
OFF TOPIC:
The contest isn't happening today, but the webcast is on and people are out surfing Waimea. Choppy stuff, but if you watch long enough you might see something cool...
Hopefully it goes down tomorrow.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 7, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

@Boo: I think the rules call for a retake. But if they call for a goal kick instead, I'm good with that. Indeed, I agree with you -- seems unfair to give them another PK.

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 7, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

DeMerit is on for Watford in the second half against QPR. Guess his eye is OK!

Posted by: soccerman | December 7, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Nice!

Posted by: BooThisMan | December 7, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

DeMerit is from Wisconsin. He treated his injury with cow placenta.
I'm just milking this joke, sorry.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 7, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

==

Law 14 agrees with you. A saved or rebounding penalty with encroachment by a teammate of the kicker results in an IFK at the spot of the violation.

Posted by: mason08 | December 7, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I like London and he is a good coach, but he has two years of head coaching experience and didn't win with his own recruits. I have no problems with a 5 year contract, but $1.7 million per year is too much for a man that was getting a quarter of that at Richmond. I know he has a few connections, but he's going to have to do a lot of work to catch up in VA. Richmond isn't exactly known for attracting VA students and athletes.

Posted by: sitruc | December 7, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse