Montreal, Bulls, Cup, Beasley, Armstrong

*MLS and Montreal/Quebec officials meet to discuss possible league expansion into Canada's second-biggest market.

*Watch the Guardian's video report about the Red Bulls' new stadium.

*At the Club World Cup, Auckland City (New Zealand) defeats the UAE's Al-Ahli, 2-0, to advance to the second round Saturday against Atlante (Mexico).

*USA midfielder DaMarcus Beasley starts and plays 45 minutes in winless Rangers' Champions League group-stage finale at Sevilla.

*Former USA national team defender Desmond Armstrong, a Maryland graduate who played in the 1990 World Cup, will be named technical director of Rocket City United, a fourth-division amateur club based in Huntsville, Ala.

*Autographed jerseys and balls are available in the U.S. Soccer Foundation's holiday auction, which benefits communities around the country.

By Steve Goff  |  December 9, 2009; 3:56 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , FIFA , MLS , USSF
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Soccer's Place in D.C. Sports Decade
Next: Thursday Kickaround

Comments

Did somebody say "rocket"?!

"White lights, strange city
Mad music all around
Midnight street magic
Crazy people, crazy sound..."

Def Leppard, "Rocket", 1987

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 9, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

WOW! Redbulls Stadium is AMAZING!

If only DC had something like that by now. :(

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | December 9, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

That stadium looks awesome. RBNY was finally serious about something related to that team. I like the roof design, looks a bit like RFK no? The stands are so close to the field and rise up at a steep angle. May have to make a road trip to see DCU play there next season.

Posted by: sbg1 | December 9, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

That is a beautiful stadium indeed. Job well done RBNY, you've done the league a solid.

Now straighten up, get a competitive team on the field, attack that market and make the DC-RBNY-Philly rivalry the absolute best in MLS.

Posted by: Kosh2 | December 9, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Desmond! I used to like his TV work post-1990 and wondered where he had gone. I'd still rather hear him than Lalas, although that ain't saying much.

Posted by: troy6 | December 9, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

That is one nice stadium.

All words fail except two: Road Trip!

Posted by: Ron16 | December 9, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

A great stadium. Well done to the club owners.

Was that the hand of former Union boss sticking out of that pillar?

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 9, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Here is another report from England (via the NYT). It seems that USA vs. England may already have commenced:

Posted by: universityandpark | December 9, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

"...attack that market and make the DC-RBNY-Philly rivalry the absolute best in MLS."

My money's on one of those three to host America's first bona fide soccer riot. Which may be the final corner we turn before Garber's dream comes true. I can't wait!

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | December 9, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to a road trip up to the Big Apple and Dirty Jerz when United visits. It's a shame that Philly won't have their digs finished in time for their home opener. BTW, are any tickets on sale for that match at Lincoln Financial yet? Also, what are ticket prices looking like at RBA?

Posted by: DadRyan | December 9, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

To honor our forefathers, I'm dumping my venti soy gingerbread chai latte into the Potomac.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 9, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

joedoc, I would have gone with the Astronaut Jones theme song:

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 9, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan

According to the seat relocation guide we received, single game midfield seats are $45, sideline seats are $35, corner flag $25, endline $22 and supporters sections $20 (not sure if this includes the away supporters section, but I presume it does).

Posted by: whoshotsam | December 9, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Forgot to mention: Towards the end of that things get PG-13, for those at work. The relevant part, however, is the theme song (which is G rated).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 9, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

OT: some nice words about local youth and high school soccer coach Ken Krieger:

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 9, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Booooooooo.

Posted by: Reignking | December 9, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

So I guess I know where MLS Cup 2010 will be... Maybe the All-Star game as well?

Posted by: rademaar | December 9, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

How much of that stadium did Harrison or New Jersey pay for?

I think I know the answer.

Part of me wonders whether building a stadium in one of the NYC Boroughs is more difficult than getting one built in the DC Metro area.

Posted by: TCompton | December 9, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Not too bad whoshotsam, those cheap tickets are nicely priced, not sure if that is factoring in a break for STHers?

Posted by: DadRyan | December 9, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan

They instituted a price freeze for current ST holders for the first year, so it's even cheaper than those per game prices. After the season we just had, maybe they thought it would be a bit presumptuous to ask for more. I expect we will get nailed in 2011, assuming we don't have the same kind of disaster all over again.

Posted by: whoshotsam | December 9, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I was taking the train home from turkey day the other week a d saw the stadium, actually woke my girlfriend up to see it. Props to nyrb for it. It's close to the airport Amtrak stop, I can't freaking wait to go.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | December 9, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Oh . . . you mean Ali's dad.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 9, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TCompton | December 9, 2009 5:44 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------

Without a doubt. The going rate for a stadium in the city seems to be &800 million and up (See new Yankee Stadium, Citi Field, and the basketball arena in Brooklyn that finally seems like it might be a reality after favorable court decisions in the last 2 weeks. I suppose a soccer stadium could be built more cheaply, but there's still a big premium to be paid for "union" workers and local "contractors". The construction industry in the New York area could teach the Afghanis a thing or three about big league graft and corruption.

Posted by: fischy | December 9, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Chest Rockwell aint no joke wit' da biscuits. Thanks for the not so distant flashback my handsome brother...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | December 9, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

(I hadn't caught your AWESOME link earlier).

Posted by: DadRyan | December 9, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Could not have happened for a @#$%ier franchise.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | December 9, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Very nice stadium..........while RFK is still crumbling and United still has zero for a stadium deal.

Posted by: croftonpost | December 10, 2009 5:10 AM | Report abuse

No Early Thursday Kickaround, Steve?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 10, 2009 7:01 AM | Report abuse

Where does Armstrong find the energy to creat a new cycling team and be technical director of a soccer team?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | December 10, 2009 7:08 AM | Report abuse

And when did he change his name to Desmond?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | December 10, 2009 7:16 AM | Report abuse

I was just given the "Coach of the Year" award for my son's basketball league. The league hasn't started yet, but they are giving it to me for what I intend to do as coach this season.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | December 10, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Fourth division amateur teams in Huntsville have technical directors?

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | December 10, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Rand-al-Thor: Since you get get any higher award the COTY, you should retire now.

RE:Desomnd. Stupid internet doesn't have the Victory video for the 1990 WC team. Wasn't that the name of the song? How is that not archived somewhere?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 10, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

"since you can't get..."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 10, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Desomnd (v): to wake up

Posted by: Reignking | December 10, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I like this Desmond better:
www.desmonddekker.com

Posted by: WorldCup | December 10, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Who? Me? Jealous of Red Bulls Stadium? No way. What could have given you that impression.

Posted by: WorldCup | December 10, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say Krieger?

Wishful, sinful
Our love is beautiful to see
I know where I would like to be
Right back where I came