Porter Staying at Akron

Caleb Porter, D.C. United's top choice to fill its head coaching vacancy, has agreed to a new five-year contract with the University of Akron.

United was hoping to finalize a deal with Porter this week, but after telling his players Monday afternoon that he planned to listen to United's offer, he changed his mind and reached agreement with the Zips, who took an undefeated record into the College Cup and lost to Virginia on penalty kicks in Sunday's final.

Attention for the DCU job now turns to former Kansas City coach Curt Onalfo, who is believed to be the only other finalist to replace Tom Soehn. Soehn left the club six weeks ago.

United could re-open the search. However, it's late in the process, and with the holidays approaching followed quickly by the scouting combine and draft, the club needs to move fast. That said, Chicago and New York are still without a coach too.

Will Chang, investor/coach! What do you say, Will?

By Steve Goff  |  December 15, 2009; 9:47 PM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gone Fishin'
Next: DCU Coaching/Front Office Update

Comments

Klinsman!!!

Posted by: beergorila | December 15, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

dang.
nothing like the mystery of potential.

Posted by: billq1 | December 15, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

More and more I think this team is being run by morons.

Posted by: fret44 | December 15, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Turned down by a college coach from a small program. That hurts.

Posted by: delantero | December 15, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Do we know this for sure "United was hoping to finalize a deal with Porter this week"?

Posted by: decoi | December 15, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

"He came home to Dayton and was questioned by his friends.
Then he smiled and just said nothing and he never sang again,
excepting very late at night when the shop was dark and closed.
He sang softly to himself as he sorted through the clothes.

Music was his life, it was not his livelihood,
and it made him feel so happy and it made him feel so good.
And he sang from his heart and he sang from his soul.
(And) he did not know how well he sang; It just made him whole. "

"Mr. Tanner" Harry Chapin

Where do I get my Zips jersey?

Posted by: OWNTF | December 15, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Huh, guess I was an idiot for being afraid that United had put all their eggs in one basket. Maybe they still have it in em' to prove me wrong...

Posted by: DadRyan | December 15, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Used DC United to get himself a nice five year deal. And DC United let itself be used.

Posted by: DCUSince96 | December 15, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Is it time to freak out?

Posted by: fret44 | December 15, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Please, no Onalfo. Please.

Posted by: hoyanick1 | December 15, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

The front office never ceases to amuse this year, no stadium-no playoffs-no coach. How much lee-way can Chang give the office when they don't reach goals.

Posted by: abrown1662 | December 15, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Well.....the plot thickens.
Why was Ritchie Williams not in the running? I musta misssed something a few days ago.

Posted by: marksman37 | December 15, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

pwn3d by a college coach, nice one DCU management.

Posted by: edgeonyou | December 15, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

so once again we know nothing!

Posted by: Brian76 | December 15, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

John Spencer now!

Posted by: owendylan | December 15, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I know he's a fellow alum of The University. I'm not saying that Porter was the answer. For all we know, he may have never adjusted to the professional game.

However, with Mr. Onalfo, I just don't get excited. Perhaps it's because we saw what he did in KC. But perhaps we should be excited. DC's front office is a lot more committed, it's supporters are greater, and the club is just in a better situation than big blue.

I'm still hoping that Juergen is interested....

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | December 15, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh God...oh God, no...

Posted by: asnoel | December 15, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

pwn3d by a college coach, nice one DCU management.

Posted by: edgeonyou

to be fair we don't know that it was DCU that was. Could have been a smoke screen they put out through Goff to hide their real intentions or give them time to negotiate with their real target.

or they don't know what they're doing.

I say, Luis Aragones!

Posted by: Brian76 | December 15, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

I guess the fish aren't bitin'...

Posted by: Reignking | December 15, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

So, DCU still has Zip to show for its search and now they're off to see the Wizard? Maybe they can Klins their palate with a wildcard option.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | December 15, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Oh
A
Laughable
Front
Office

Posted by: ErickSp8 | December 15, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

dc united, great job!

Posted by: andrew23 | December 15, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

If United bring in Onalfo, I just may have to continue my boycott.

I'll come up, tailgate with the barra, then just head to the pub, because I wouldn't waste money on watching Soehn 2.0

Posted by: alecw81 | December 15, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Goff, I say you remove the censorship on this thread. Give us a thread. Then we'll be civil once the death march begins.

I just have a limited vocabulary when it comes to describing how much I HATE the idea of Onalfo leading us to another hateful season.

Let's not even think about whether or not Porter would have even been Good in the position. Let's instead dwell on the fact that our club has sunk so low that running a successful college program is a greater honor. DAMN. Oh, and I mother@#$^ing hate this.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | December 15, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

I really don't understand why anyone is criticizing the DCU front office. They had their sights on a guy, but they couldn't talk to him until this week because his team kept winning. Then, he turned them down. How is that a screw-up? It sucks for whomever gets the job, because he will always be known as the 2nd choice -- but what else can you do? They took a chance on landing Porter. Kudos for taking the shot.

Posted by: fischy | December 16, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Just name Jamie and Benny coach already and get this over with.

Posted by: kris77 | December 16, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

By the way, I remember when the New York Giants were turned down twice looking for a new coach. They finally settled on Dan Reeves, who ended up taking them to the playoffs with the best record any first-year Giants' coach has ever had. Of course, he had losing records the next 3 years, and then he was fired...and 2 years later he took the Falcons to the Super Bowl. Ya never know.

Posted by: fischy | December 16, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Somewhere, Michael Mojedo is breaking into song and dance.

Please Saint Will: return this team to the time where coaches and players would give their right nut to come coach and play for this team.

Posted by: dsheon1 | December 16, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

it's like the Veron debacle, all over again.

Posted by: joe_hill | December 16, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

fischy - I'm hearing the "they couldn't talk to him until this week" stuff is wrong. Word is DC United was in Akron weeks ago talking to him surreptitiously.

Posted by: fret44 | December 16, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

It's time Kevin Payne's name starts entering this conversation...am I the only non-fan club member who starts pointing fingers at Payne?

Posted by: jbfromfc | December 16, 2009 1:26 AM | Report abuse

tom soehn chooses to leave a bad situation... a young coach in god awful Akron Ohio turned down this job...no stadium deal imminent...this is bad guys...hello baltimore united with purple jerseys and a new name

Posted by: jbfromfc | December 16, 2009 1:35 AM | Report abuse

Quite obviously, DCU got used again...the suitor got us dizzy whispering sweet nothing in our ears, off goes the prom dress, and, well, you know the rest...

Porter cunningly used DCU to reinforce his position with the Akron.

Can an MLS team be seen as 'tapping up' a college coach? Just a question.

I was excited to think DCU might actually step outside of the filthy sandbox that is the MLS coaching pool...it seems altogether rare that MLS brings in guys from outside of the MLS microcosm. Yeah, Kries and Onalfo were not established coaches and got a run, but truly, they were MLS insiders. If have heard time and again from folks that are sick of the revolving door for professional league coaches in the States. Guy gets axed in one place and pops up somewhere else.

Does this happen with good coaches? Sure.

Does it happen with subpar coaches that maybe should step aside? Yes.

Dang...Akron played an alluring style, seemed better than their competition (at least in the matches I watched) and, unlike many teams, did not seem to depend overwhelmingly on athleticism or fitness as a core strategy. Their pace of play with very quick, but that was ball speed and tactical speed. I truly LOVED their disdain of long ball and raptly watched them run at opponents.

I know naysayer doth protest that we need someone who "understands" the unique US soccer culture. (Gullit is Offender #1, but then again, Gullit could not coach his way out of a wet paper bag with a sharp pair of scissors...failed in Europe just as he did here.) I just ache for DCU to again find a manager with cunning and cleverness. The trick is that there are not so many of these managers floating around unemployed (or nearly so) in the States.

So much for talking my wife into selling the heirlooms to renew our season tickets.

Posted by: ErickSp8 | December 16, 2009 2:15 AM | Report abuse

Ok, off topic. Annoying soccer lingo, "reached agreement", shouldn't it be "reached AN agreement". The English propensity to drop articles annoys me to no end.

Posted by: horace1 | December 16, 2009 2:26 AM | Report abuse

Also, damn. I was rooting for Porter, our last college coach did pretty well.

Posted by: horace1 | December 16, 2009 2:28 AM | Report abuse

I say we throw Benny to the lions - make him our head coach. Though he has no coaching experience, I'd want him more than Onalfo, Hamlett, or a MLS recycler. Unless we can pull El Diablo away from his club in Bolivia - its gonna be hard to find the right fit.

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | December 16, 2009 3:31 AM | Report abuse

re: "Annoying soccer lingo, "reached agreement", shouldn't it be "reached AN agreement". The English propensity to drop articles annoys me " horace1

You dropped an article.

Posted by: Ron16 | December 16, 2009 6:14 AM | Report abuse

(paging Marco Etcheverry)

(begging Bruca Arena)

Posted by: redskinsux | December 16, 2009 6:34 AM | Report abuse

I sure like the way everyone assumes they know what goes on behind closed doors at the United offices. You guys are a hoot....

Posted by: CHICO13 | December 16, 2009 6:37 AM | Report abuse

Pretty embarrassing for the FO.

I am not enamored with Onalfo. This could suck

Posted by: RRP1 | December 16, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Just hire Goff and be done with it!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | December 16, 2009 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Good grief!

Perhaps it is high time that Will Chang gets serious about this team and dumps Payne and Co.

While KP is dithering overseas playing FIFA powerbroker wannabe, we can't even get the simplest of deals done on the homefront.

If we end up with the likes of Onalfo, that would cap a perfectly sterling year of futility.

A series of stadium debacles of the Keystone Kops variety followed by a subpar season and now this mess.

Wretched, simply wretched.

Posted by: marco101 | December 16, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Chico,
Do you know otherwise? If so, please enlighten us. If not, this is the place for speculation and analysis. Nobody says we're inside the offices, but it certainly looks like United is not a place where talented coaches want to come work. It's a far cry from the image (also not based on what really happens inside the FO) of a dynasty team where everyone wants to be part of the success. And it's pretty hard to argue against the fact that on the stadium front, the FO has been the most unsuccessful of any team in the league pursuing a new home. There are strategies to get this done. Our FO banked on the wrong strategy, more than once.
David

Posted by: dsheon1 | December 16, 2009 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Yea David, the only people who know what goes on behind closed doors are the people behind those doors. Feel free to speculate and wring your hands in disgust.

Posted by: CHICO13 | December 16, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Well, that's disappointing . . .

I sure hope that the Front Office has a better Plan B than Onalfo up its sleeve.

Posted by: Stevenho | December 16, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

I think Onalfo would make a fine coach, I was hoping we hired him instead of Soehn (or maybe it was Nowak), but the timing did not work out.
I was not impressed by what he did with KC, but I have never been excited by what anyone does with KC, so maybe that is not the coach's doing.

I was interested in Porter because he was something new and different.
But he didn't seem to want to be something new and different, and I can respect that.

I only hope that whoever ultimately does take the job, they not be forced to keep the current assistants in place, but can choose to bring someone new in to work the team.

And can I just say that many of you are certifiably nuts? You're welcome.

Posted by: dcufan | December 16, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

From another perspective this could be good for the US MNT. Hopefully they're looking at Porter for a job in the nat system. Dude's got a bright future and hopefully takes steps towards being a candidate for the top job some day.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 16, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

That's it. We're officially toxic. With no hope for a stadium, a roster with either aging or college-level talent and a scouting department that is running on it's reputation from the 90's, I say it's high-time Mr. Chang and Mr. Garber pull the plug on the DC franchise. Sooner rather than later. I'm not riding out the string supporting a team that will see beating the NY/NJ Metrostars 3 times a season as the pinnacle of achievement.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | December 16, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Come in off the ledge Jay!

Really folks if we could calm down a bit, I'll return your shoe laces and belts.

Posted by: JkR- | December 16, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I think we're about an average MLS team in a league that stresses parity.

But it would be nice to have a coach to at least help start making needed personnel decisions.

I'm with the wishful thinkers that want Klinsmann. Has he ever categorically said he would not coach an MLS team or DC United?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | December 16, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

How much of this Porter thing was real in the first place? Or was this just a story that got pumped up here beyond its actual proportions?

Is Guus still looking for a job?

Posted by: fedssocr | December 16, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

How is this for speculation about happenings behind closed doors:

1) DCU has been eyeing Porter for some time, as have other MLS and college clubs.

2) DCU receives permission to speak to Porter and expresses their interest in him.

3) Porter does not yet feel ready to coach at the professional ranks (understandable considering he is only 34), Mrs. Porter likes their situation in Akron, Porter wants to coach there a bit longer and try to win a championship.

4) Porter realizes he has an opportunity to apply some leverage, and does so to land a nice 5 year deal at Akron.

5) Mrs. Porter informs Porter there will be no need for him to sleep on the couch. Assuming, of course, that with the fatter contract they can get a bigger house.

Reasonable, no?

Oh, but what fun is that? It provides to pretext in which to slam the DCU front office!

Posted by: Ron16 | December 16, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

"If United bring in Onalfo, I just may have to continue my boycott."

I'm sure that's keeping management up at night. :-)

Posted by: JRandomReader | December 16, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I can't say this is good news, because I've gone on and on about how I don't see Onalfo as anything more than an extension of the mediocrity of the last 2 years. I still don't buy the "KC has no support, success there is impossible" argument, since KC won a title before they even had a single, committed owner. They also had the resources to make their very own ill-advised DP signing. He's had all the resources one needs to win in KC; the problems there have been on the field, not off it.

Porter has his reasons; maybe Akron offered to pay him more than DCU. Maybe he's more of a Midwestern guy and doesn't want to live in an East Coast city. Maybe at just 34 he doesn't feel he's ready to make the jump. It could also be that we blew it. Who knows? Obviously these days the trendy thing for United fans to do is to flip out and start screaming for heads to roll, but we don't have any idea how this actually went down.

I am strongly in favor of re-opening the search. There are more interesting possibilities in the MLS assistant/former head coach pool, and there's also the possibility of going abroad. I would love to be wrong, but Onalfo has shown no evidence of being ready to be a successful MLS head coach.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 16, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | December 16, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Chest, I heartily agree.

Re-open the search. Start over. Its still the offseason. We do not need a coach in place for the upcoming combine; an exercise which brings to light very few serviceable MLS players anyway. Not much of a downside risk there.

Feel free to disagree but I would also add, leave Richie Williams and Onalfo off the new list completely. Lets start from scratch.

Posted by: Ron16 | December 16, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

By the way, turn down the volume of the Frog Language will burn your ears.

Posted by: delantero | December 16, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

@ fret44, DCUsince96, edgeonyou, asnoel, ericksp8, andrew23, jbfromjc, jayrocker:

Your posts are the reason I don't read the posts anymore. Your comments are laughable. You slam the FO like they ride the short bus to work. Step back, breath, and think before your type.

p.s. I heard "Global Warming" is United's FO fault too! Good grief!

Posted by: boda-united | December 16, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Well, if I were Porter, I'd have stayed at Akron.

I was intrigued by the prospect of Porter, but I was concerned that he hadn't won a championship as a coach. During the final, I had a hard time routing for the Hoo's when I kept thinking, "If this guy's going to be the one, I want him to have won something first."

In the end, it doesn't matter.

Posted by: TCompton | December 16, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

There are a few matches today:

Barcelona - Atlante
EPL
Europa League

Posted by: Reignking | December 16, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I really think that Robin Fraser is the guy the should hire. He has played both internationally and in MLS. Re-opening the search just seems to be setting the franchise behind. They need a staff in place for two reasons: transfer window opens in January and MLS draft/combine is next month also. Why wait? They were willing to take a risk on Porter, so why not do the same with Fraser? I really think Onalfo is a clone of Soehn.

Posted by: no_recess | December 16, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

College coaches have a career expectation that's really hard to beat, frankly. If you're any good at all, you can expect a long career and practically tenure. All while living in a college town (the best!), with outstanding benefits.

Good pro coaches rotate out every few years to a nomadic life. And have their competence questioned hourly by Internet Experts.

Hardly surprising someone would choose a college life over pro.

Posted by: JkR- | December 16, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Smart move. Stay with a program that's just going to get better rather than jump to a program that's just a mess. In five years MLS will still be there if he wants to move.

Posted by: hacksaw | December 16, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I heard Steve Sampson was interested in DC; the 4-5-1 would be great to see again. (Or was it the 5-4-1?).

Posted by: hacksaw | December 16, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Jeez, what's with the 'sky is falling' reaction here?

Posted by: teo_68 | December 16, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

It sounded to me that he wanted to stay there because of the relationship he has with his players. He didn't want to abandon his guys.

Posted by: fedssocr | December 16, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Barcelona kept almost complete possesion of the ball in the opening minutes against Atlante. And then Atlante scored on a long ball over the top.

Mexicans winning 1-0 in the 8'. On Fox Soccer Channel if you can watch it.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | December 16, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Sampson ran the 3-6-1.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 16, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

this does make DCU look a bit mickey mouse. and it does remind me of getting dumped by a certain DP we were after, and scrambling for a (failure) backup to save face.

Posted by: nairbsod | December 16, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Hardly surprising someone would choose a college life over pro.

Posted by: JkR- | December 16, 2009 10:37 AM |
----------------------------------------
JkR-
I could not agree with you anymore. If I had the option of being back in the college life over being a proffesional, there would be no choice. Toss me a solo cup and lead me to the keg. Time for some keg stands!!

Posted by: terptilldeath | December 16, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Ron16:

As far as analyzing the combine and whatever pre-draft or pre-preseason invite-only camps we might run, I think Kasper, Ashton, Simpson, and Olsen will be dealing with those more than they normally would. A new coach has so much to figure out coming in that he's going to need a lot of help. We need to pick the right coach and hope that the remaining coaching staff and Kasper can provide suitable information towards drafting well and getting good players into training camp fighting for spots.

teo_68:

Pile up of several things. People are still mad at how the season went, the wait for a coach is becoming trying, and (with certain posters) every single instance where DC United doesn't succeed in spectacular fashion is met with blind rage. Plus, only a very small number of people have had much positive to say about signing Onalfo, who was our 2nd choice after Porter.

***

Atlante takes the lead! I missed the goal, though. When did Atlante start wearing light blue? When will MLS clubs be able to compete with Mexican teams for guys like Santiago Solari?

Also, my Spanish is quite awful, but I believe this says something about Etcheverry having an "open door" to return to DC United as coach (though it also seems to say something about there being a 5 day between January 20th and 25th in which he must return).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 16, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

re: "Seriously, just name Ben Olsen coach and get it over with. No one wants to touch this team.

Posted by: hacksaw | December 16, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse "

Including, per his public statements, Ben Olsen himself.

Ben Olsen will not be the head coach of DC United for at least this go-round. Get that into your head, please, and stop beating this dead horse.

Posted by: Ron16 | December 16, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

a) Chest provides the rational thinking (as usual) in his post

b) We all know Chest should be manager - make it happen, Chang!

c) To me, this really isn't about our next manager, but it's another sign that the club are shedding credibility with every big decision being made. It's a shame - nothing ends up looking good in public. And sure, it's just a college coach deciding this wasn't the right move. But to the member of the public actually paying attention, it's another own goal for United. And some of our fears are coming to light - Will Chang, on his own, might not be up to this. And all of the monetary losses could really be hurting the club.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 16, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

How many of you people have played soccer? You see, I'm not convinced any of you know what you are talking about. You are a fan...yes. But I'll bet very few here have played college soccer much less professional soccer. None of you are qualified to predict how Onalfo would do with United. How did Arena do with NY? Does that mean he is a terrible manager?

I'm not saying Onalfo will be good...I have no idea. But there is equally little reason to say that he will screw up. He has a limited track record and not necessarily a stellar one at that, but if no coaches were ever given chances then we wouldn't have any at all.

Grow up, folks. By dismissing our team before we've ever started pre-season training we are starting to sound like Red Bulls fans. I'm still confident that Payne will come through for us.

Posted by: Atlanta4MLS | December 16, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Its disappointing not to get our top choice, but its not the end of the world.

Onalfo has the pedigree, and while not performing in KC, look what a change in venue did for Bruce (last with NY, now with LA) and Sigi (kicked out of LA, title in Columbus, Seattle).

As far as scouting players and combines, etc. Dave Kasper is still around, if a bit quite these days. If we can't get a coach in place by the draft, he's more than capable of selecting another first round pick that will go overseas :-)

It would be nice to have someone in place by the opening of training camp though.

Posted by: SoccerVA | December 16, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I'm with JkR and Hacksaw: the reasons to stay are better than the reasons to leave.

I don't think this reflects so much on DC United as it does on Akron. He's young and he has a great situation. And at 32, he still has a lot to learn -- soccer-wise and management-wise.

Don't be so down, folks. Perhaps he simply wasn't ready in his own mind to take an MLS position.

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 16, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, that's supposed to be 'memberS of the public'. Not trying to imply that we have one fan.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 16, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Much of the issue with most of these candidates is working for Payne and Kasper and the likelihood that any new coach would have little or no control over the areas that most coaches feel they must have. Those posters who offer that the front office must be looked at throughout this process are spot on: Onalfo might be the only viable candidate since he knows what he's getting into with those two.

Posted by: lgm6986 | December 16, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Why is everyone rushing to silly conclusions? Name Moreno as coach, name Benny as coach. Yeah, that's a BRILLIANT idea.

Astounding.....

Oh, and the fact that this is the FO's fault, pretty entertaining as well.

It's sad to see a college coach, untested in the professional divisions, go back to something safe. Wow....a good decision made by Porter. Whether or not we got used, what's done is done.

Posted by: dogboy | December 16, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

In the past two days, Porter has gone from being 34 to being 32. Did he sign a contract with U Akron or Mephistopheles?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 16, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I saw nothing tactically enticing about Porter's Akron side in both games this past weekend. College soccer is a bastardization of the beautiful game and we need a coach as far removed from the college game as possible. Onalfo, while having a college pedigree, knows the game at the youth club level, the MLS level, and at the national team level. He has experience. Give him the job!

Posted by: meagle | December 16, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Is it too late to get Soehn back?
*ducks*

Posted by: DCUMD | December 16, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 16, 2009 11:40 AM

Or a Dominican baseball academy?

Posted by: Kev29 | December 16, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I think it is obvious who our international mystery coaching option is now that we whiffed on Porter:

Marcello Gallardo.

Posted by: rickinashburn | December 16, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to steal this analogy from tallguy at bigsoccer, because I've been looking for a good one.

The Ravens' first choice was Jason Garrett -- not John Harbaugh. Things seem to be working out just fine.

Posted by: Reignking | December 16, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

MLS Coaching Carousel for $600, Alex.

A: A European coach who understands the American game.

Q: Who is Thomas Rongen

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 16, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Art imitating life - I could see this conversation going down just like this from Major League:

Charlie Donovan: How would you like to manage the Indians this year?

Lou Brown: Gee, I don't know...

Charlie Donovan: What do you mean, you don't know? This is your chance to manage in the big leagues.

Lou Brown: Let me get back to you, will ya, Charlie? I got a guy on the other line asking about some white walls.

Posted by: IamAM | December 16, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Some short guy puts Barca ahead.

Posted by: Reignking | December 16, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

@Reignking - The Redskins' first choice was Steve Spagnolo. They got Jim Zorn. Neither are any good.

Analogies work in both directions!

Posted by: DCUMD | December 16, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Never thought Porter was coming, which is why I never worried about it. He would be crazy to come to DC United where there is an unstable environment, no time to get the people he wants in, has the pressure of winning in his first season, and has no fan support. If he messes up once people will be calling for his head. I doubt dc was going to give him an obscene pay increase so I expected him to stay. The fact that DC put all its eggs in one basket shows there not getting very creative with the job selection. I expect Onalfo to get announced early next week.

Posted by: totalfootballer | December 16, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I could see this conversation going down just like this from Major League

Posted by: IamAM | December 16, 2009 12:13 PM

Greatest sports movie ever! And excellent reference.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 16, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Where does "all its eggs in one basket" come from??

Posted by: JkR- | December 16, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

This place has become like bad sports radio.

Next thing you know, we'll have idiots making up trades.

Posted by: Reignking | December 16, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand the "putting all DC's eggs in one basket" reference. This is a standard hiring practice. You have an opening, you interview candidates, you select one and make an offer. You don't offer the job to several people and see who's the worst negotiator of the lot.

Porter was an out-of-the-box choice when people are complaining about the coaching carousel. A Euro coach would be nice, but they want to stay in Europe, don't they? Face it, the pickins are slim.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 16, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Of course, you need all your eggs in one basket if you're going to over-egg the pudding.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 16, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 16, 2009 12:45 PM |

/close thread

We have a winner....

Posted by: JkR- | December 16, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Maybe DCU can save money by not having a coach, and investing that cash in a DP.

Posted by: Reignking | December 16, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

@Reignking

"Next thing you know, we'll have idiots making up trades."

I really think DCU should trade Devon McTavish for Landon Donovan. It sounds like a great deal for both sides.

Posted by: no_recess | December 16, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Is there a negative to LD signing a new contract? He gets more money, MLS keeps him, and if Europe really wants him -- or he really wants go to -- they'll make it happen.

The only problem is that LD is still grandfathered in, giving LA an unfair extra DP.

Posted by: Reignking | December 16, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Barca wins...Pedro scores the 3rd.

"Be a weiner. You never sausage a goal."

Posted by: Reignking | December 16, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

@Atlanta4MLS : Pot, kettle, and I think you know the rest.

Posted by: Ron16 | December 16, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Barcelona was just toying with Atlante at the end, yet the Mexicans did pretty well over all until Messi came in. Before that, Barca had completely dominated possession but without really creating many scoring chances.

Chest, Atlante's light blue shirts were new for me, too. Their main jersey is similar to Barca's jersey but I think I've seen them wearing white as their road kit in the past. (Like at RFK)

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | December 16, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Face it, the pickins are slim.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 16, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

===============

270 you might just be on to something there. A real leader of men. Plain speaker, from the heart.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 16, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Reignking:

Draft picks for Jimmy Conrad. Vermes has shown no interest in signing good defenders as a GM or as a coach, so let's take their one good one off his hands. There's no way this won't work.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 16, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Ship off Shipalane for Conrad!

Posted by: Reignking | December 16, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

England's 12 city/15 stadium host sites for their World Cup 2018 bid...

Milton Keynes being the surprise - but guessing it was picked for it's convenient location on the M1. Fairly easy to get to from North and South.

One year till 2018/2022 selection!

Posted by: Kev29 | December 16, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Milton Keynes? Great, more debt on the way.

Oh, wait...

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 16, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Please, no Onalfo. Please.

Posted by: hoyanick1 | December 15, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cmjhawk86 | December 16, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Face it, the pickins are slim.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 16, 2009 12:43 PM
-----------------------------------------

If only Slim Pickens was still around.

Posted by: fischy | December 16, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

"I'll bet very few here have played college soccer much less professional soccer."

So what? Do you think that average commenters on any blog are experts or pros? Enlighten us with your esteemed palmares champ...

I do however belong to the tiny percentage of folks that isn't convinced that Onalfo couldn't be successful here. I know less about the behind the scenes in KC than I do about DC, but I do know that KC play on a tiny little field and they seem to always give DCU a hell of a fight regardless of the betting odds. United is actually lucky it wasn't two draws and a loss vs the Wiz in 09, instead of two draws and a LUCKY win.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 16, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Is that article on Etcheverry a HOAX? it seems to say that Oriente the team the Etcheverry coached for want to re-sign him but Etcheverry wants to go back to DC UNITED and do what he loves??? wierd

Posted by: Norteno4life | December 16, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

@Ron16

Division 1, 4 years, 3 championships, 2001 NCAA Tournament. You were saying?

Posted by: Atlanta4MLS | December 16, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I think it is very worth while to keep looking beyond Onalfo for a another couple of weeks. Rontgen is an interesting idea, but I doubt he would do it. Hireing Marco would put butts in the seats, and he might even do a good job. But it would be a risk, just like hiring Porter would have been.

No Onalfo!!

Posted by: jjfooty | December 16, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I didn't make up "all the eggs in one basket" reference. It just seems that DCU never considered anyone else. They never interviewed him and waited till Christmas to talk to him. I don't want Onalfo or Porter as manager. As Goff said we don't know if they have or will interview foreign coaches. My use of "all of the eggs in one basket" just means that it was obvious Porter was there man, they were willing to do whatever they needed to get him, and they lost out on him. Thats it. I'm not implying anything. Chill out

Posted by: totalfootballer | December 16, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"Enlighten us with your esteemed palmares champ..."

@DadRyan

Leave it to internet messages board posters to get hurt when no punches are thrown.

If you were among those predicting doomsday and toxic results, settle down...none of us know how things will turn out.

If you weren't, have a nice day.

Posted by: Atlanta4MLS | December 16, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Btw ive played in the development academy and have been a Division 1 prospect. From my experience that accounts for nothing. Half of the people that play Division 1 cant play and half of the people that coach are not any good.

Posted by: totalfootballer | December 16, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I know nothing about MK, so I google mapped it.

I noticed it looked an extremely well-laid-out town (unusual for Europe). Wiki: In the 1960s, the Government decided that a further generation of new towns in the South East was needed to relieve housing congestion in London.

Posted by: Reignking | December 16, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Mr totalfootballer , respectfully, how is it obvious? Because you didn't read it here?

I personally believe that the organization does things that may not show up in this or any other blog.

Posted by: JkR- | December 16, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

@Atlanta4MLS: You said it yourself: You have no idea.

On that, you are quite correct. Yet you quite indignantly accuse others of -- ta-daaa -- having no idea.

Posted by: Ron16 | December 16, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Where does "all its eggs in one basket" come from??

Posted by: JkR
--------------
From the henhouse!

By the way, Milton Keynes looks well laid out because it was a planned city from the beginning. It is, however, one of the dreariest and most unpleasant places in all England. Those raised there claim to be happy to be from Milton Keynes...FAR from Milton Keynes.

Posted by: troy6 | December 16, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Does playing Fifa 2010 count as playing professionally? I assume it does and I am pretty awesome (just in general not really that good at FIFA 2010 yet).

Posted by: rockotodd | December 16, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

JkR- You're right. I don't know what to believe. The only people that know are KP, Kasper, and Chang. Not anybody else in the organization. Not the players. Not the academy. None of the staff members. But what I said is my opinion based on what Goff reported. I give a lot of credit to Goff because DCU is keeping this close to their chest. I don't even think its worth speculating.

Posted by: totalfootballer | December 16, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

MARCO! MARCO! MARCO!

...does staying at a Holiday Inn count????

Posted by: nairbsod | December 16, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

FIFA 2010 experience counts on Xbox, but not PS3. Them's the rules.

Posted by: JkR- | December 16, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

anyone got an online (free) feed for the PSG vs. Lens match going on?

Posted by: nairbsod | December 16, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

What about Football Manager?

Posted by: Reignking | December 16, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

FIFA 2010 experience counts on Xbox, but not PS3. Them's the rules.
Posted by: JkR

Awesome, I am now throwing my hat in the ring and I promise to take all views from the peanut gallery into consideration before filling out the lineup.

Posted by: rockotodd | December 16, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

FIFA 2010 experience counts on Xbox, but not PS3. Them's the rules.
Posted by: JkR-
===============

What about Wii? Or is that semi-pro/PDL stuff? Not that I play it, but it would make a good Xmas present for... ahem... my son.

I've never played at a high level, but I have decades of experience yelling at players on TV to pass, shoot, or defend and I once won my Yahoo EPL fantasy league.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 16, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

This was kind of interestng: I'm watching FSC's "live"telecast of Tottenham vs. Manchester City. Wasn't much happening in a scoreless draw. So, I flip to ESPN News to see if there's something there about Donovan. On the scroll/ticker thing below, there's news about a couple of baseball trades. I'm about to switch back, when they start showing EPL scores. The score comes up for the Spurs-City match, showing Tottenham up 1-0, almost 37 minutes into it. My brain registers confusion, and I say "Huh? No, it's not."

I switch hurriedly back to the game. It's just over 36 minutes into the game, and don't you know it? Spurs scores a few seconds later!!!

Somehow, ESPN News is controlling events.....

Posted by: fischy | December 16, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"But there is equally little reason to say that he (Onalfo) will screw up."

Now DCU has a quote for its 2010 stationery.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | December 16, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

P.S. Goff, start your vacation already. Can't Tenorio do this stuff?

How about Pearlstein, he seems pretty sane -- is he into soccer?

Posted by: fallschurch1 | December 16, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

and I once won my Yahoo EPL fantasy league.
Posted by: I-270Exit1

But you are near the bottom of the table in the Argy Bargy Goff fantasy CL league so you have been eliminated from contention, sorry. I am perfect though I started out strong and now am fading, its the DCU script.

Posted by: rockotodd | December 16, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Who knew when the Argy Bargy league started that the DCU cocahing spot would be 1st prize?

I'm in last place, but with an asterisk -- I missed the first week, because it took forever for my registration to go through...

Posted by: fischy | December 16, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

@270, FYI IMHO, the Wii is a novelty. It is fun for a while but any soccer game played on that system is doomed to suck. They're good fun for the whole family, but I've tried playing FIFA on the Wii and I just wanted to come home and turn on my Xbox 360 regardless of how much bigger my neighbor's tv is...
Nintendo does have some very fun and successful franchise games, but they aren't soccer related.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 16, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Somehow, ESPN News is controlling events.....

Posted by: fischy | December 16, 2009 3:50 PM

Ha! FSC matches are always so far behind. I know of like it on a Saturday morning, cause I'll see a goal pop up on a vidiprinter then change over to FSC in time to see it. Someone explained to me why that is - but I forget.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 16, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

don't go blaming the registration time now fischy...;)

Posted by: DadRyan | December 16, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

'kind of like it' ^

Me type pretty today

Posted by: Kev29 | December 16, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Some interesting rumours at bigsoccer.

Posted by: Sultano | December 16, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"They're good fun for the whole family, but I've tried playing FIFA on the Wii"

Hmm. Was thinking of getting a Wii, but only if FIFA 2010 was good on it . . were you playing with standard controllers, the Wii controllers, or is it just the game system that sucked?

Posted by: delantero | December 16, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

This thread is already whack and Goff's not coming back til 1/4. I'm just waiting for Thing 1 and Thing 2 to start posting.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 16, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Hot off the BBC Football site:

21:33 Breaking news from the Press Association: Everton tonight confirmed they have "agreed a deal in principle" with the Los Angeles Galaxy for forward Landon Donovan to join the Merseyside club on a two-and-a-half-month loan in January."

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | December 16, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Sultano, makes sense to me. If you really really really want a guy, you don't keep looking elsewhere lest rumors pop up...

Posted by: Reignking | December 16, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

"Rontgen is an interesting idea, but I doubt he would do it."

How long have you been following DC United, jjfooty?

Posted by: joe_hill | December 16, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the laugh joe_hill. It's going to be a long 19 days.

I'm betting we have a pig head on a stick here before long...

(Lord of the Flies reference for the "There was a Windows 3.1?" crowd)

Posted by: JkR- | December 16, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Windows 3.1 was the one before Vista, right?

Posted by: rockotodd | December 16, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

@delantero: I played 09 with Wii controllers. It was a pain in the butt, and had I been more patient it might have been alright, but like I said I just wanted to go home and play on my 360. It may be passable with standard controllers. Graphics weren't anything like FIFA on the 360, or Play Station 3. The great thing about these games these days is the realistic graphics. I haven't seen 10 on the Wii, but if it's anything like 09 I wouldn't buy it.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 16, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Also delantero, I'd question a Wii's long term playability. I've noticed some folks who have them not playing them much once the novelty wears off.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 16, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | December 16, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Cobi Jones!

Posted by: alan19 | December 16, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 16, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I haven't turned my Wii on in months, while my PS3 and 360 are used weekly.

Posted by: rockotodd | December 16, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

All time favorite Onion Article,

"Special Olympics Fixed."

Evidence of the massive scandal first came to light June 17, during a Special Olympics competition in Milpitas, CA. Marcy Simms, a 27-year-old gymnastics contestant, was declared a winner in the individual competition, despite falling off the two-foot-wide balance beam some 11 times and failing to execute even a single cartwheel.

Upon finishing the routine, Simms raised her arms above her head and cheered in triumph. Her parents then raced over to hug and kiss her, sharing in their daughter's "victory."

"When we saw Marcy celebrating, we were immediately suspicious of corruption," Brundage said. "Her routine was terrible—what could she possibly have been so happy about?"

Posted by: delantero | December 16, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Ah, the self-righteous, I-know-more-about-everything-than-you-stupid-idiots tone of this page would make even sarah palin blush.

With such incredible soccer knowledge and experience, the folks on this page should stage a double coup and take over both DC United and the US National team. We'd never loose another match.

Posted by: hacksaw | December 16, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

@ Dadryan & Delantero

Oh, have we paged Etcheverry or Arena yet? Maybe Cirovski too?

Posted by: redskinsux | December 16, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

And yes, fischy, I did just mention Bruce Arena. I hope you were able to see my comments from last weeks thread.

Posted by: redskinsux | December 16, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

According to this story DCU Management is really hurting this time:

Posted by: fedster | December 16, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

You said it, fedster.

Turned down by Porter and now Yallop and Spencer.

This is really turning into quite the fine mess.

Posted by: Sultano | December 16, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hacksaw | December 16, 2009 6:06 PM
================

But we may Wiin a couple.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | December 16, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

I have the conch!!!!! I say we must build a signal fire to alert Goff and have him come resuce us from ourselves! LOTF

Posted by: boda-united | December 16, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

I've been thinking about the criticism doled out to the Front Office recently, in particular to Kevin Payne, and maybe there's some merit to these claims.

How long will D.C. United be led by Payne? Forever? When will the right time be for him to step down? History has showed that civilizations, businesses, and even people who don't change--fail.

I'm a little bit concerned about the club being turned down by 3 coaches. DCU's history speaks for itself. We are the most successful club in leagues history and continue to be considered, by most, the flagship team of the league.

Who would turn down the opportunity to lead this team? Alright, yes, Porter's decision was probably legitimate and understandable...but an assistant coach (Spencer) and Yallop too? Is there any chance that Payne and his good ol' methods are hindering the club in any way from attracting interest from coaches and accomplishing its goals?

Posted by: redskinsux | December 16, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rockotodd
=============

Like Sir Alex in the EPL, the UEFA referees have it in for me.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 16, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I came across this video last week about some new and cool ways you can use the wii remote with slight modification. Posted by: redskinsux

Thanks for the link. Amazing stuff. You have to love entrepreneurs. Not sure if I have the know how to change a sharpie into a use-able white board, but knowing there are folks like that that are toying with tech is great.

Posted by: delantero | December 16, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse