Tuesday Kickaround

*While D.C. United continues its search for a head coach -- the buzz in league circles is that the club is leaning toward a college or foreign boss -- DCU's previous manager, Tom Soehn, has reportedly begun searching for a job ... in Vancouver.

*Americans abroad:
GKs Brad Friedel, Brad Guzan for Aston Villa at Portsmouth
F Mike Grella with Leeds at Oldham

*Stop by Washington's Union Station on Friday at 12:30 p.m. for Adidas' World Cup draw celebration highlighted by South African music and dance and appearances by DCU's Jaime Moreno and Houston's Stuart Holden.

The legend grows. Lionel Messi wins the Ballon d'Or as Europe's player of the year (audio at the three-minute mark is priceless):

By Steve Goff  |  December 1, 2009; 12:57 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Americans Abroad , Argentina , D.C. United , MLS , Spain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: New Deal for Donovan?
Next: Atlanta's Stadium

Comments

Let me be the first to say Don't do it, Vancouver.

Also, Messi is probably going to challenge for best player of any time period if he keeps it going for a few more seasons.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | December 1, 2009 1:30 AM | Report abuse

I still can't believe Messi is only 22, that's crazy. He'll be challenging every year for the foreseeable future if he can stay healthy.

Posted by: PEddy | December 1, 2009 1:56 AM | Report abuse

re: Soehn in Vancouver...
FCD fans were happy to see Colin Clarke go, and yet look what he's done with the P.R. Islanders.
Soehn may very well flourish as a coach in the NASL.

Posted by: Figgy | December 1, 2009 3:39 AM | Report abuse

The white spots in that video had me thinking there was something wrong with my monitor. The call at the 3:00 mark was hilarious.

Posted by: sitruc | December 1, 2009 5:04 AM | Report abuse

The White Caps could do a lot worse than Tom Soehn.

It must be early because I read the line about Friday too fast and thought it said "dance appearances by Jaime Moreno". That's something I wouldn't miss.

Posted by: DCUMD | December 1, 2009 6:43 AM | Report abuse

Fair enough for Tommy and Vancouver. He was a decent person to say "Let's go our separate ways". While he didn't achieve what we wanted him to achieve, there's no doubting the effort he gave to the club over many years. We should only hope to see both parties find better success in their own separate futures.

I hear that Will Chang has been whispering sweet nothings in Messi's ear...I can hope, right?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | December 1, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I sure hope the club has ruled out both the Richie Williams and Curt Onalfo.

Posted by: Ron16 | December 1, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Will Adidas give out free vuvuzelas? If they are, I'm staying away from Union Station.

Soehn to Vancouver? Why not? Best wishes to him. The Canadian is web page taking too long to load. Must be a denial of service from DC fans complaining in the comments section.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 1, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

"The White Caps could do a lot worse than Tom Soehn."

--------------------------------------------------

Let's put a stop to this right now. It's "Whitecaps" -- one word, referring to ocean waves -- not to words, referring to the color of your headwear.

***Bonus gag:

"I sure hope the club has ruled out both the Richie Williams and..."

------------------------------------------------

"The Ritchie Williams" would be perfectly appropriate for "The DC United".

Posted by: fischy | December 1, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Still searching for a link to the Charlie Davies interview on ESPN that reportedly aired on Sunday. Has anyone stumbled across a link somewhere? Does one exist?

Posted by: DadRyan | December 1, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

we will never know what happened to charlie davies that night.....

Posted by: GeneWells | December 1, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

we will never know what happened to charlie davies that night.....

Posted by: GeneWells | December 1, 2009 10:40 AM
---------=---------------------------------------------

Give it a freaking rest already. We do know what happened to him. Car accident. Internal injuries, broken bones -- leg, elbow, face. Details of the accident? None of your business...or mine.

Posted by: fischy | December 1, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Gene, give up the pouting over the driver's name not being released. I'm sure their life is in shambles just like Charlie's. Show some decency and for what it's worth I'd figure an ambulance chaser like yourself would have the link I'm looking for. Make yourself useful.

ESPN doesn't appear to have an archive of it available on it's website, any ideas on how and where to find it?

Or better yet can someone who saw it give a better account of it than the other bloggers out there who've talked about it?

Posted by: DadRyan | December 1, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

fischy, the lottery tickets weren't winners last week, but it looks like another trip to the corner store is in order. ;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | December 1, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy

Sounds like the Tiger Woods incident.

I would like to know what the cause of the accident was, though.

dadryan: Ives had the Davies interview linked yesterday.

Posted by: Reignking | December 1, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Wait, was Tiger having an affair with Charlie Davies?

Posted by: OWNTF | December 1, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

@RK, there is no video link in Ive's post. He quotes parts of the interview, but I'd like to see the video myself.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 1, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: GeneWells | December 1, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I just think that reckless driving should be prosecuted whether or not the driver or others die.

Posted by: GeneWells | December 1, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I should have said ... prosecute whether the driver is hurt or not, or whether friends who are passengers are hurt or die.

Posted by: GeneWells | December 1, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Fischy, I don't understand...why don't we have a right to learn the results of the official investigation into the crash?

Posted by: chemweapon | December 1, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Because accident victims have a legal and moral right to privacy.

Why are people so obsessed with this accident? It's very disturbing. Do you want to wag fingers at someone? Schadenfreude? I mean really, why?

Posted by: OWNTF | December 1, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Why is no-one demanding information on my accident on 270 a couple of weeks ago? Don't you have the right to know? Aren't you indignant over my secrecy?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 1, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I-270, the Indignity Index is directly tied to your blog hits....

(Oh, no he dih'nt!)

Posted by: JkR- | December 1, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I just seems like the Park Police have enough time to decide whether there was reckless driving, whether to prosecute, and then tell the public their decision.

Posted by: GeneWells | December 1, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, Gene.

I am curious as to whether or not this was simply an unfortunate accident, someone speeding way too much around that curve, or if the driver should have never been behind the wheel.

Posted by: Reignking | December 1, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

That's all I needed. Thanks for the link, the video and observing his facial expressions even backwards tell a story the screen grab on the blogs couldn't.

I too believe drivers should be held fully accountable for their actions behind the wheel. I'm one of those bike hugging commies that doesn't believe "accidents" happen on the roadway, but you guys aren't taking into account that the investigation is ongoing and that all prudent information has been released.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 1, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Totally off topic (wait, were car crashes the topic) ;)

For those of you interested in supporting the US bid for the WC, and specifically the DC area, you can visit the link and 'support' DC, Baltimore, Philly, or wherever.

Posted by: jermWV | December 1, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Yes, on to a much lighter and easy on the eyes type of subject...
Last day to vote for Emo's woman on the VS model search...
Check this vid:

Posted by: DadRyan | December 1, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't the Park Service have standard procedures for dealing with the hundreds of accidents that happen on its DC-area roadways each year? Is there any reason to believe that the Davies case is being handled any differently than any other?

Posted by: universityandpark | December 1, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chemweapon | December 1, 2009 12:25 PM |
--------------------------------------------------------

A right? Sure, you have that right. Go to Park Police HQ. If they won't show you the report and file, file a Freedom of Information request.

If Davies was a star in a bigger US sport, I have no doubt that the driver's name would have been in the media -- and there would be more reporting on the cause, etc. That prurient interest doesn't really make it appropriate. I'm sure none of us have ever met or heard of the unfortunate driver. Let her be.

Posted by: fischy | December 1, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I would bet that 98% of accidents investigated by Park Police would have been processed within 2 weeks, not the 6 weeks we have here.

Posted by: GeneWells | December 1, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse