Wednesday Kickaround

*The U.S. Park Police's investigation into the one-car accident that seriously injured USA forward Charlie Davies in mid-October probably will not be completed for several more weeks.

*Add Real Salt Lake assistant Robin Fraser and at least two Europeans to the long list of candidates for D.C. United's head coaching job.

*Landon Donovan's reps said they have "no comment" about the Insider report that they're in negotiations with the Galaxy about a new, long-term contract that would probably double Donovan's base salary.

*Speculation in the Honduran media is that DCU striker Luciano Emilio might return there this winter after three seasons in MLS.

*The viewing audience for ESPN Deportes' presentation of the Barcelona-Real Madrid match Sunday numbered 512,000 Hispanic homes and 765,000 viewers -- the most for a Euro league match in Spanish-language cable TV history. Those figures are more impressive when taking into account that the game was also shown live on GolTV.

*Americans Abroad:
GK Tim Howard and Everton at AEK Athens (Europa League)
GK Dom Cervi and Celtic vs. Hapoel Tel Aviv (Europa League)

*In a college soccer shocker, despite an 86-32-19 record and the 2004 national title, Mike Freitag will not return as coach at Indiana. Will the Hoosiers go after Akron's Caleb Porter, a former Indiana player and assistant who has attracted interest from DCU?

For the extensive mid-week TV guide.....

*Soccer on TV:
Europa League, Anderlecht-Dinamo Zagreb 3 p.m. DirecTV
Europa League, Timisoara-Ajax 3 p.m. DirecTV
Spain, Xerez-Barcelona 3:55 p.m. ESPN Deportes
Copa Sudamericana, Fluminense-LDU Quito 6:30 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
Europa League, Valencia-Lille 3 p.m. DirecTV; 8 p.m. GolTV

By Steve Goff  |  December 2, 2009; 9:54 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , College Soccer , D.C. United , MLS , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: FIFA Sets Draw Pots
Next: Early Thursday Kickaround

Comments

Am I correct in assuming that GolTV doesn't take part in the Nielsen system so we won't know that impact?

Posted by: beach3 | December 2, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

512,000 Hispanic homes and 765,000 viewers
================

What does that mean exactly? I know of at least one gringo home that was tuned in as well.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 2, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I hope Luciano goes back to Honduras. And I hope United draft or bring in a young forward.

ESPN360 gets no ratings, huh? That's how I watched the match.

Posted by: hardcoco | December 2, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Ay, Caramba!!

I can't figure out if anyone is televising the Mexican League semifinal.

Morelia plays Cruz Azul tonight.

Good luck to Emilio. I'd like him to stay with DC but his current contract is a bit too high for the amount of goals he's been scoring lately. Still, he's been underappreciated by many. 41 goals in 3 regular seasons plus a bunch in other competitions.

Everything is unsettled in an offseason where coaching changes are coming but I would like Emilio back. Maybe a loan spell over the winter in Honduras?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | December 2, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

what's emilio's contract status?

Posted by: nairbsod | December 2, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

OWNTF, you should have been watching on GOLtv with the sweet sounds of Ray Hudson! :)

Posted by: jake77 | December 2, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Since I was working two jobs yesterday and can read but not sign in and comment of my blackberry, I think KSU will make a fine stadium partner/location for the new Beat. I don't think I'll go out there other than to see Marta and Wambach/Bompastor (and Tobin Heath when she goes pro), but I probably wouldn't go to more than that if it was in my part of the "-ish" in Gwinnett county, NE of Atlanta. I'd imagine the reasons they aren't playing in Remax with the Silverbacks are a) Turf, b) Money, c) the Silverbacks W-League team is still fully in operation.

I won't comment on the pods, I'll wait for the groups to b and moan.

And not that I'm all that interested in what the investigation reveals, but I'm confused as to why the Parks service is doing that investigation instead of DC Police. Little help?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | December 2, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Ray was is fine form this past Sunday. He made that match better than it already was.

"The magnificent nose does it again!!"

Posted by: peridigm | December 2, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish

============

Crash occurred on the GW Parkway which is considered a National Park

Posted by: emanon13 | December 2, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, emanon. I had figured so much, but that just seems an odd designation for a road.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | December 2, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

It's a Parkway. You can't drive it without being aware you are in a park, unless you ignore all the signage.

I expect Emilio would go back to Honduras. I would think his lack of speed makes him pretty useless in Mexico. Can't see Mexican teams offering the kind of money he might get in Honduras, where he's remembered as a Golden Boot winner -- and I hope DCU isn't seriously thinking of keeping him on a s a DP. There must be someone better out there who would be happy to get DP money from DCU.

Posted by: fischy | December 2, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

You can add dozens more of people when factoring in GolTV!

Posted by: Kev29 | December 2, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

. . . and in any event the GW Parkway is entirely in Virginia not DC . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | December 2, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I watched on GolTV ... with the Spanish feed playing so I didn't have to listen to that drunken lout who ran my team into the ground.

Posted by: beach3 | December 2, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Did someone say "drive"?!

"Who's gonna tell you when,
It's too late,
Who's gonna tell you things,
Aren't so great.

You can't go on thinkin',
Nothings' wrong,
Who's gonna drive you home,
tonight?

Who's gonna pick you up,
When you fall?
Who's gonna hang it up,
When you call?"

"Drive," The Cars, sometime in the 80s.

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 2, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Juergen Klinsmann, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | December 2, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

So is Mike Freitag on DC's list now?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 2, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 2, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Note re the Atlanta Beat stadium, from KSU website:

"Scheduled for completion in spring 2010, the stadium will be built using no public funds."

Fancy that.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 2, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

OT: Why do we drive on parkways?
Why do we park on driveways?
Why can we eat at Subway, but not on a subway?
Why are all courtesy phones white?
And how did those people get stuck in the snow globe?

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 2, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, Klinsmann seems content to work the broadcast booth through WC 2010. And I'm sure he has a nice VW already, so DCU is out.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | December 2, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

A bit surprised, but pleased, to hear that Landon is negotiating a new deal with the Galaxy. I would have thought that (yet again) he would have tried Europe - especially after winning his MVP award. I am glad though if Galaxy tie him up for a while. The league is already going to loose guys like Holden, etc...Gotta keep some here in the US. And bringing Klinsmann in to DCU would be great.

Posted by: PremSoccerShop | December 2, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@Prem -- It's not entirely clear that Donovan is negotiating an extension. Goff reported that the Galaxy is seeking to renegotiate their existing contract -- They have options for the '10 and '11 seasons, but would like to lock Donovan up for more than 2 years. So, presumably, Donovan's reps are listening. As it stands, Donovan can't just walk away -- the Gals own his rights for the next 2 years. If they make it worth his while, he might agree to stay longer. It stands to reason that his options abroad won't as good in 2 years anyway -- he's not getting younger. I might add that if the Gals lock him up long-term, they're in a better position in negotiating a foreign transfer -- so, if he does sign an extension, I still wouldn't rule out a transfer abroad.

Posted by: fischy | December 2, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

As an aside -- despite years of people poking fun at this misspelling on the 'net, people continue to write "loose", "loosing" and "looser" when they mean lose, losing and loser. Why is that? Aren't adult humans capable of learning...of changing?

Posted by: fischy | December 2, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Is it safe to assume deportes is in more households than gol?

Posted by: sitruc | December 2, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

fischy: you loost me on that comment.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 2, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

@fischy -- because they're loosers, that's why, and there's still lotsa words that spellcheck won't catch

@sitruc -- don't know, but GOL is not part my package on FIOS, but it was when I had Comcast. I tired of Hudson anyway.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 2, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

@fischy,

The internet has retarded speech, writing and spelling.

@OWNTF,

No public funds!?!?! What - you mean millionaires and billionaires are supposed to spend their own money instead of creatively financing deals, using cash flow to fund operations and converting upside and operating loses to their own benefit? That's silly! You would assume that these guys OWNED a team instead of just operated it and skimmed some sort of benefit and gain.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | December 2, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Elsewhere...saw a mock WC draw. zzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Reignking | December 2, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

"operating loses"
hilarious.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 2, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

You loost me at helo.

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 2, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

So maybe Hoost is actually our Host.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | December 2, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Emilio scored some goals, but if he could have just scored one or two more in one or two of our draws . . .

Posted by: fallschurch1 | December 2, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

"looser" kills me, too. Or two. Or to.

Posted by: Reignking | December 2, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

It's not that Emilio didn't score enough goals. It's that he offers nothing besides those goals. He's scored, what, 50+ goals in all competitions in 3 years for us? That's a ridiculous figure, and his output in that category has never been the problem. The reason he can't be kept at DP salary is that he's too slow to scare anyone off the ball, he's not big enough to push defenders around, his touch isn't good enough to keep the ball reliably, and he doesn't often work hard enough to harass opponents when we lose the ball.

What makes these limitations much worse is that his main suppliers of chances are Moreno and Gomez. Both of them are older, slower players, and this means we often are stuck playing at a slow pace. Even though our players are often able to outsmart opposing defenders, the athletic disadvantage leaves them time to figure out what we're up to and catch up.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 2, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Irregardless, Emilio looses the ball two easyly.

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 2, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I was just living proof

"Operating loses"

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | December 2, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

What Chest said. And for that reason if Emilio leaves, I'd like to see a DP in the engine room, not up top. Someone with some speed and bite to go with the skills, not another doll baby looser.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 2, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Schelotto for DP! Come on Dave and Kevin! Do it!

Posted by: VercengetorixII | December 2, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I'd be thrilled to have GBS, but what would Columbus want in return? Maybe, such a move might depend on what a new CBA has to say about movement of DPs....?

Posted by: fischy | December 2, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF: No, the GW Parkway is *not* entirely in Virginia. The Boundary Channel is the boundary between DC and Virginia, and when the GW Parkway southbound swings left onto the island, it crosses the border into DC. See e.g. google maps for clarification.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | December 2, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Meant to say: "the Boundary Channel is the boundary between DC and Virginia at the location of Columbia Island."

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | December 2, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I stand corrected! And have learned something new today. Thanks.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 2, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

like the other poster said, how do they define "Hispanic homes"?

Posted by: GraciasRiquelme | December 2, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Califf to Philly?

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | December 2, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Irregardless, Emilio looses the ball two easyly.

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 2, 2009 1:40 PM

No he didn't. He did'nt say irregardless did he?

Loost, lost, two, to...makes no nevermind to me but irregardless is an OBAMAnition to the English language!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | December 2, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Everyone's favorite Yank Abroad scores today to put Villarreal into the next round.

Posted by: Reignking | December 2, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Joaquin "On Sunshine" with a brace already for the Valencia...don't it feel good?

Posted by: Reignking | December 2, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Other rumors have Jeremiah White to Philly as well. But until Goff reports it, it ain't news.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 2, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

True -- we have to wait to read it here, but we can speculate. If Califf and White are both headed back...Philly can only sign one. Who's next in line? NY?

Posted by: fischy | December 2, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Steven, One comment and one question.

Comment: Barca-Xerez is also on ESPN2, not just Deportes. Important for those of us who get one but not the other.

Question: Does ESPN release numbers for 360? That's where I watched Barcelona-Madrid.

Posted by: j_doe | December 2, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Abby Wambach is on Washington Post Live right now. She's part of the roundtable so she won't be talking just Freedom and soccer. Good for her.

Posted by: sitruc | December 2, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the heads up j_doe. Wouldn't have known that I get this game otherwise...
Mahalo
T. Handry just scored with his head.
I'll take this opportunity to mention my fondness for the font used for the players names on the Xerez jerseys.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 2, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy

I read that Philly has to negotiate anyway for Califf from Houston...so they would have to for either...

Posted by: Reignking | December 2, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Emilio: Do you know of anyone better on our roster at his position? Until we see something better obtained by DCU management let's not be too hard on Emilio.If he had more mid- field support he would have scored more than 50+.
And if we had an outside left back we would have made the playoffs.
It's up to DCU to shell out some of that Real money now.

Posted by: lemovs1 | December 2, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know a bar in the Cap Hill area (or anywhere in DC) where I might get a tv tuned to the NCAA women's semi's on Friday?

Posted by: football_fan | December 2, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

People are still moving to Honduras? I think if his family has any input at all into this he (and most sensible people whose goal in life isn’t to be a dictator) won't be going anywhere near there. DC should renegotiate his contract and trade him.

Posted by: Southeasterner | December 2, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I think in order to bring back Emilio a few things must happen. First, a lower salary and non-DP designation for him. Second, a faster/younger/better play maker. I've loved Gomez since he first came here, but his days are done as the creative engine. Last, we need a quicker forward than Moreno (e.g. Pontius) to pair with Luci up top.

Even if you keep him as the DP, the other two must happen for him to be successful. Give him a Fredy Montero type partner and they'll put up 30 goals between them next year.

Posted by: SoccerVA | December 2, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

"Give him a Fredy Montero type partner and they'll put up 30 goals between them next year."

I know what you're getting at, but I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Please no immature, dishonest, defenseless schmucks who shave speed lines into their head, wear two different colored shoes, and have no idea that NO MEANS NO.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 2, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

512,000 Hispanic homes and 765,000 viewers
================
Posted by: OWNTF

That’s exactly what I thought when I read this at work this morning. While I would agree it’s safe to assume the majority of folks watching on ESPN Deportes are Hispanic households, it’s quite another thing to attach anything resembling a precise figure. I don’t recall filling out a card designating my race/national origin when I bought my TV/signed my cable agreement. Perhaps there’s an aspect to this I’m missing but I kind of doubt it.

A number of years back a buddy of mine was working as a contractor at a federal agency and discovered that the organization within the agency he was working for was recording race/national origin based on photographs of people. Hello, USA/20TH century calling?

I frankly can’t see how ESPN could ascertain this.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler

I’ve lived in DC my whole life, excepting college, and didn’t know this, interesting fact.

And yes, irregardless, is not a real word, as my college philosophy professor in Boston dinged me for on a paper. Have never used the ‘word’ since.

Posted by: KireDCU | December 2, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

@SoccerVA -- You're not entirely wrong about that. If DCU had a speedy forward and a playmaker in the midfield that could open up offenses, Emilio would be more productive and his weaknesses wouldn't be such liabilities for the team. All things considered, though I'd still like to see them upgrade by replacing Emilio with that speedy striker that opens up defenses -- especially if the guy can also finish. Emilio missed too many good chances because he's too slow and because his headers aren't professional quality. He is an accurate shooter from inside the box and he is a good poacher. Ideally, we need someone who brings more than that to the table. If there is no one else, we could settle for Emilio -- he does score a decent amount of goals -- but I'd rather find someone with more of an impact on the game.

If, for example, DCU could bring in GBS and a speedy young guy in the mold of Montero, the team would suddenly be pretty formidable.

Posted by: fischy | December 2, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

FYI- Mexican semifinal between Morelia and Cruz Azul just started on Azteca TV which I get as Comcast channel 198 in Arlington.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | December 2, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

@fischy: I, too, am a stickler, and you set me off yesterday. Have been unable to tolerate spelling and usage errors for two days now. Since I am a tech type in a tech job, this has not improved my popularity. Thanks a lot.

@DadRyan: So I guess this rules out Natasha Kai?

Posted by: ldmay | December 2, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

@idmay, half the reason I hate Montero is that he's so full of himself that he's not aware of Kai's indelible steez. In all honesty I'd take her on DCU long before that Montero sack of trash. No contest.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 2, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Having seen *all* of Emilio's appearances for DCU over the past two years, I've seen enough, and I'm pretty confident others in the same position, i.e. mgmt., feel the same way. It's fine to look at his goal totals, but he also costs the team a lot of goals--by not pressuring the ball, by getting knocked off the ball by a slight breeze, by making poor and poorly timed runs, and generally being woefully out of sync with his teammates the vast majority of the time. He hasn't been much of a leader, and hasn't responded admirably to pressure or criticism.

As was the case with Soehn, not every shortcoming of the team can be blamed on Emilio, and there are bedrock capabilities that haven't deserted him. And yes, if the team played at a significantly higher level overall, they might see more production out of him. But it is precisely the DP's and other marquee players that should be raising that overall level, and Emilio hasn't been doing that at all. Bottom line is he won't be sorely missed if his career leads him elsewhere.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | December 2, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ldmay | December 2, 2009 10:47 PM |
--------------------------------------------------

2 days? Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I submit that I cannot be the cause of this distress. I only posted my comment about the "loose/lose" thing earlier in the day. If the dates don't fit, you must acquit.

Posted by: fischy | December 3, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Typos don;t bother me because I make enought to be desensitized to them. What really bugs me is the use of "that" instead of "who/whom" when referring to humans.

People that do that really irk me.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 3, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

@I-270 -- Well played. And, thanks. I know you're being funny, but -- Looking back at my Emilio comment, I see my offense. I'm one that/who will try to learn new ways....

Posted by: fischy | December 3, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

What's even worse is that SPCA ad with Sarah McLachlan, in which she refers to animals with "who need your help." The proper term is "that," as in the cow that ended up on my plate as a steak.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 3, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

NCAA Men's DII Semifinals: # 1 seed Ft Lewis 2, #6 Le Moyne 1 at halftime. Being played at the U. of Tampa. Pretty good game, live video at ncaa.com

Posted by: soccerman | December 3, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: football_fan | December 2, 2009 5:36 PM
__________________________________________

If you're willing to venture a mile outside the District, you can try Summers in Arlington (right at the Court House Metro stop). The food is average and the service can be problematic, but I bet they will accommodate your TV needs.

Posted by: universityandpark | December 3, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

what's emilio's contract status?

Posted by: bgfgf402 | December 5, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse