Weekend TV Listings

What are you going to watch?
FRIDAY

Uruguay, Nacional-Penarol 5 p.m. GolTV Premiere
MONDAY
England, Watford-QPR 2:40 p.m. Setanta
U-17 friendly, USA-Netherlands 9 p.m. FSC

By Steve Goff  |  December 3, 2009; 8:18 PM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup Draw Projection
Next: Friday Kickaround

Comments

FIRST to ask....

Since when does the host country get an automatic seed?

2006 - Germany is seeded (obviously)

2002 - S Korea was grouped with seeded Portugal

1998 - France is seeded

1994 - USA surely was not only unseeded (word of the year candidate), but placed with arguably the hottest team in the world at the time in Columbia.

Do they just make up rules as they go?

Posted by: tphasbdp | December 3, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Actually, the US was seeded in '94 as the host. The others were Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Italy & Belgium. Host being seeded goes back to '62.

Posted by: DCM_ | December 3, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking forward to the spectacular Stanford women beating UNC in a tough final Sunday, making them 26-0-0 on the season.

Posted by: dccal | December 3, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Portugal was not seeded in 2002- South Korea was the seeded team in that group. Actually, you could compare Portugal in 2002 to Colombia in 1994: two teams that were seen by some as potentially good enough to win the whole thing, who then fizzled out in the first round after losses to non-soccer power host nations.

Posted by: ricky_b | December 3, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Goff - You forgot the NCAA DII Men's Final, Ft Lewis College vs. Lees-McRae. Sat 3:30 PM live on CBS College Sports (FOIS 94). Look for the FLC Skyhawks to score 5+ goals...they won their semifinal match 8-2.

Posted by: soccerman | December 3, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

How come I didn't know about these U17 games before? 3 games in 3 days is kinda nuts. Where are they finding the players they'll need to play? Are these the Bradenton lads -- the ones who went to Nigeria?

Posted by: fischy | December 3, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Monterrey just took a 1-0 lead over Toluca just before halftime on Telemundo.

Aldo de Nigris, the guy who lost a brother about 10 days ago in Greece, headed in a freekick from Humberto Suazo. Suazo was the leading goalscorer in South American WC qualifying and is likely to be one of Chile's primary offensive weapons in South Africa next year.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | December 3, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Yes, of course, FIFA just makes it up as they go...

So I see that Califf to Union is official. Good -- now I don't need to learn how to spell Midgetland.

Posted by: Reignking | December 3, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm not the biggest women's soccer or college soccer fan but I never miss a chance to watch Notre Dame vs. UNC. Its probably one of my favorite rivalries in US sports.

Have to put the Dean Smith quote...

"This is a women's soccer school. We're just trying to keep up with them." - Coach Smith

My sister always makes the argument that Dorrance is the greatest (soccer) coach in US history...it's hard to argue with a WC win (US Women), men's soccer finals (UNC), and 20 women's titles (UNC).

Posted by: Southeasterner | December 4, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

The Union is looking like they'll have a decent back-line and probably a better goalie than DCU. They're in line to add Jeremiah White, who will give them speed on the wing...and they have the top pick in the draft. Miglioranzi, Zimmerman, Jacobson and Salinas are not the most experienced crew, but they have a lot of potential in midfield. Up top, with Moreno and Le Toux, they'll probably have more consistent scoring than DCU...and they're looking at bringing in a DP. I give them a good shot at finishing ahead of United, unless we see some drastic roster improvement for United.

Posted by: fischy | December 4, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

DCU hasn't made a single move other than waving pond scum fischy. I'd say it's a little early to claim that Philly is going to have more consistent scoring than United. That's just a lame attitude to have anyway brother. Let's radiate some positive thoughts in these trying times. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 4, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

@ Dad -- I know it's early. There's a lot the FO can do, and I hope they do. I'm just saying that going into last season, I had DC tabbed for a 5th-place finish, outside the playoffs. I gave Toronto too much credit, as they choked the final game against NY and finished a point behind DC -- but I was right about the playoffs. I have a similar vibe about Philly as I did about Toronto last year. I think they'll give United a real run, unless we see a big upgrade for the team.

Posted by: fischy | December 4, 2009 1:08 AM | Report abuse

This is my first time here. I am a huge fan of English soccer, the Premier League, I hope the English team will get really far in the World Cup. I am looking forward to the Tournement already. Until then I am watching PremierLeagueVideo.com for the previews and postmatches. Just great sure hope to visit a live game some time in the near future for instance with FC Barcelona or Manchester United. Have you seen those stadiums? We as Americans can learn some socces from the Europeans!

Posted by: revasoccer | December 4, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Southeasterner
============

Your sister is smart. I'm sure she would agree that it's an abomination that UNC is never mentioned when the sports mouths are talking about college dynasties like UCLA basketball. Dorrance has won something like 75% of the NCAA championships in his sport. Can anyone match that?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 4, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

"England, Sc*nthorpe-Coventry 5 p.m. Setanta"

Oooooooooh. Steve wrote the "S" word.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 4, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know how much Setanta is on directv?

Posted by: edr04 | December 4, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Welcome, revasoccer. A good deal of good-natured bantering goes on here, so expect some stick about being a Eurosnob. I, myself, am a self-proclaimed Mancosnob.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | December 4, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

U-17 friendly, USA-Portugal
-------------
The U-18 match this past spring almost degenerated into a full-scale brawl. I hope they have legitimate refs this time. I also hope any holdovers from the spring game counsel the newcomers to expect the dirtiest play imaginable.

Posted by: troy6 | December 4, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

@ Revasoccer

Welocome Eurosnob!!! ; )

Posted by: 9Nine9 | December 4, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Hey Revasoccer, you are in the wrong blog...You need to go to the blog that caters to fans which only see soccer from the prism that everything in Europe is good, and everything else outside of Europe is bad. I argue that EPL is not that great. IMHO its always the same four teams, and the teams fighting relegation are no better than some of our MLS teams...

And about England, you will be heart broken...England is famous for choking, and they will crap out as they always do...But I guess you deserve that for supporting another country other than your own!

Posted by: alan19 | December 4, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

the teams fighting relegation are no better than some of our MLS teams...

===========

rubbish

Posted by: OWNTF | December 4, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

England, Sc*nthorpe-Coventry 5 p.m. Setanta"

Posted by: bgfgf402 | December 5, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse