Afternoon Roundup

aduaris.jpg*Ahead of his possible debut Sunday at Panathinaikos, Freddy Adu is formally introduced by Greek club Aris.

*We've been following this story for weeks, and now it is official: Salvadoran midfielder Julio Martinez will join the Chicago Fire on loan from Mexican club Leon. During his negotiations with the club to become head coach, Carlos de los Cobos was eager to bring along the 24-year-old Martinez, whom he coached on El Salvador's national team.

*Philadelphia finalized the acquisition of defender Danny Califf (23 U.S. caps) from Danish club Midtjylland.

*Kansas City announced the signing of Guadeloupe captain Stephane Auvray, a midfielder, and Colombian defender Pablo Escobar. Auvray, 28, played 10 years in France, most recently with second-division Vannes. Escobar, 22, was with Deportivo Cali. Meantime, goalkeeper Alex Horwath, a three-year starter at Wisconsin who is from the Washington area, has been invited to Kansas City training camp. He trained informally with the Wizards last summer.

*Defender Jonathan Borrajo, a former George Mason star who played for third-division Real Maryland last season, is in the process of finalizing a contract with Ljungskile in Sweden's second division.

By Steve Goff  |  January 21, 2010; 3:27 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , Greece , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Update on MLS Labor Talks
Next: United Signs Ex-Man U Prospect

Comments

Was Califf an allocation?

Posted by: JkR- | January 21, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I am not sure, but on the face of it, it appears as if he was not? How is that allowed?

Luis Gil is close to signing with the MLS. Apparently, he will go through a weighted draft. Anyone knows what DC United chances of obtaining him would be? We didn't do that great, or that bad so I cant imagine we would be at the mathematical top. I am sure the Union are...

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 21, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

And, who is Freddy Adu?

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 21, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Philly acquired Califf's MLS rights in trade with Houston last month. Dynamo received allocation money. Califf belonged to Houston because he left the league on a free transfer after declining a formal offer from San Jose (before the club moved to Houston) after the 2005 season. In other words, SJ/Houston never received compensation when he departed. As opposed to the Troy Perkins situation, in which United received a transfer fee for the keeper and, as a result, relinquished his long-term MLS rights.

Posted by: Steve Goff | January 21, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Califf to Philly info...

"The 29-year old central defender will join Philadelphia Union from FC Midtjylland in the Danish Superliga, after the club acquired his League rights in a trade with the Houston Dynamo for allocation money. As per club policy, details of the deal will not be disclosed."

Posted by: Kev29 | January 21, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Only in MLS could you keep the rights to a player for 4-5 years.

Posted by: rockotodd | January 21, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I don't mean to stir the pot, but I really don't think Freddy Adu, even at 20, is going to be remembered for anything other than not meeting expectations. And that's not his fault. There was a fascinating story by Mark Zeigler of the San Diego Union-Tribune that suggests--with decent rationale--that Adu peaked when he was 13-14 because, well, he was 20 at that time.

BTW, I first saw that story on SF's blog.

Posted by: TwinCity | January 21, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

One problem with that argument, who peaks at only 20? Besides JkR of course

Posted by: rockotodd | January 21, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

You don't mean to stir the pot by questioning Freddy Adu's age?

Posted by: philofutbol | January 21, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

@rockotodd, that's a fair argument. I don't think the great players peak at 20. But there are a ton of kids who are great at 16, 17, 18, and then fade. ESPN Soccernet had a series a while back documenting a "where are they now" of the past U-17 Youth Men's National Teams. There are a lot of guys that went on to big careers. And there are a lot of guys that fizzled--or at least were surpassed by their peers.

I am not saying Zeigler is dead-on. But the article is mildly persuasive, and the height/weight thing at ages 14 and 20 is particularly...um...interesting.

Posted by: TwinCity | January 21, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Again, while I understand that MLS wants to create a parity (a la NFL, Bundesliga), the rules for player acquisition and movement are more confusing/frustrating than doing my taxes.

No wonder Timmy Geithner just never did his!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 21, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

@philofutbol, let me clarify. My intent is not to polarize readers. My intent is to suggest, with reasonable arguments, that the old rumors may have support in fact. My argument isn't based purely on speculation (e.g., Freddy can't be 20!), it is based on circumstances that I think reasonably support the conclusion that Freddy isn't as young as he says he is.

Posted by: TwinCity | January 21, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

One problem with that argument, who peaks at only 20? Besides JkR of course

Posted by: rockotodd | January 21, 2010 4:03 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well, that goes without saying...

Posted by: JkR- | January 21, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I read that article a few weeks ago and found it to be a Jay Marriotti level of sheer rubbish. I questioned, at the time, whether he had an actual working editor who allowed it's publication. If so, both editor and writer should be fired, with malice, and assigned to work as unpaid interns at MLS Rumors' blog...

Posted by: JkR- | January 21, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR- | January 21, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Ok. Why sheer rubbish? It's not perfect, but why sheer rubbish?

Posted by: TwinCity | January 21, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

What do we/you have to do to get you in another Post chat-session?

Seems like you haven't had one of those in a loooooooooooong time.

I mean, if they can have someone talk about crummy tv shows every week the least they can do is get Goff on-line to answer questions every once in a while.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 21, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TwinCity
-------------------
except that Adu emigrated when he was 7. are you really suggesting he was actually 14 and somehow masquerading as a 7 year old? especially when doing so would have jeopardized his family's emigration status? that's just silly.

Posted by: troy6 | January 21, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

@troy6, I wouldn't assume, automatically, that an ALLEGED age difference is 7 years. Also, I think it's silly if you don't think that people regularly lie about things like age, circumstances in their home country, or other factors (like marriage status) when attempting immigrate to the United States.

Posted by: TwinCity | January 21, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

You want me to disprove idle speculation, totally lacking in factual support???

I used to like the internet more.

Posted by: JkR- | January 21, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

@jkr, I didn't want you to disprove idle speculation, lacking in factual support. I wanted you to explain the basis for your conclusory statement, which lacked factual support.

Important difference, no?

Posted by: TwinCity | January 21, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

And as for "liking the internet more," I didn't post to argue. I posted to discuss. Everyone got real defensive, real quick. @troy6 is the only one who has offered support for a contrary argument, and even he felt the need to insert an implied ad hominem.

Posted by: TwinCity | January 21, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

No, we're done here. Take this to Bigsoccer.

Posted by: JkR- | January 21, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

In many developing nations birth records are shoddy if the exist at all, many people with no real idea of how old they are or when their birthday is.

Freddy may be 2 or 3 years older than he actually is, but 7 is to far of leap, no mother could mistake a 14 year old for a 7 yr old, but maybe a 9 yr old for a 7 yr old.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | January 21, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

In many developing nations birth records are shoddy if they exist at all, many people have no real idea of how old they are or when their birthday is, even if they are not soccer players.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | January 21, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

JkR--seriously?

I don't go to that ridiculous site, and I am guessing you and I have the same opinion of Bigsoccer. We can be done with the discussion, but relax, man. I didn't take your birthday away.

Posted by: TwinCity | January 21, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm starting to believe that the allocation system is a bit outdated. What the league should be concerned with is the need of certain clubs to play well, and dumping a player into a squad who have no real incentive to play them or structure to bring them in seems nonsensical.

Find the club who could use an aspiring playmaker, Houston Dynamo, Colarado (so little creativity), or, here's a thought, DC United. I'd say the Red Bulls, but I hate the Red Bulls, both for their awful play and for the Amazing stadium it earned them.

If the league was really concerned with Parity, they'd surely find better ways to divvy up veteran players and young talent.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | January 21, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I love a Freddy Adu age debate. I give it about as much attention as I give the "birthers" attention. Why? You mean to tell me Man Utd, Chelsea, Inter Milan, Real Madrid -all with millions of dollars at their disposal- were fooled by his age too? They would have found out his proper age, and if it was not his listed age would have gone public.

Chelsea did this research with Michael Essien and found out the truth too. His age is his proper age.

Freddy's problem isn't his age, it is that he never developed a right foot, is small, and really not that fast. The reason he never developed a right foot is because when I played against him in the Maryland state cup his left foot was better than our whole Bay's team combined. Blame me, and all the other youth players who failed to provide him with adequate competition, his exploding ego, not following Graham Ramsay's advice, DC United, the system, etc.

Thank you Goff for responding to my post question.

The ability to hold onto a players rights is comical, but I still love the MLS.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 21, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TwinCity
--------------------
yes, but in this case his mother had everything to lose (immigration status) and nothing to gain by lying.

Posted by: troy6 | January 21, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Another Columbian named Pablo Escobar? Son of the drug lord? Has he considered changing his name?

Posted by: b18bolo | January 21, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I didn't take your birthday away.

Posted by: TwinCity
--------------------
that's a good line, pal. props to you.

Posted by: troy6 | January 21, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Konoha7 | January 21, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | January 21, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

"Califf belonged to Houston because he left the league on a free transfer after declining a formal offer from San Jose (before the club moved to Houston) after the 2005 season. In other words, SJ/Houston never received compensation when he departed."

So, how did DC not retain Tony Sanneh's rights when he returned to MLS from Germany? He was allocated to Crew, even though DC was never compensation when he left.

Posted by: Baz1 | January 21, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

random signing or did I miss the rumors on him...

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 21, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

that's a good line, pal. props to you.

Posted by: troy6 | January 21, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

It was another way to say chill out. Why so militant?

Posted by: TwinCity | January 21, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

On young players being ruined by over exposure when young, see Johan Cruyff's advice to every young talent that comes up through Ajax.

It is very important to protect young players and allow them to develop them, exposing them to the spotlight early will ruin them...as obviously has happened with Adu (though he might be young enough to get over himself and become a good player).

And grubbsbl, good call on the Graham Ramsay comment. Graham taught me when I was a little lad (I'm probably the worst player ever to hear him talk) but that man knows the game better than anyone I've met since. Listening to him a good player will make.

Posted by: bigbadbri | January 21, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: csd1 | January 21, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Another Congolese from the Anderlecht youth system? Since he got into a couple of games with Man Utd,'s 1st team, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's better than Habarugira -- and hope that he tried out for DC because of the contract HavaNegila signed, rather than having few other options.

Let me be the first to say: Go with the Flo'

Posted by: fischy | January 21, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Does the Crew still have Brad Friedel's rights?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 21, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

My biggest growth spurt was between the ages of 11 and 13. Is that really so unusual?

The Adu article should not have gotten past an editor, among other reasons, because of its reference to the kid's potential value to Ghana in international youth competition. There is any such competition at the U9 level? Really?

Posted by: universityandpark | January 21, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Soccer America reports that Brandon Barklage's kid sister Drea will be playing for WVU.

Posted by: universityandpark | January 21, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Further, even if there were meaningful international competition at the U9 level, Adu played no organized soccer until after he arrived in Montgomery County.

Posted by: universityandpark | January 21, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Signonsandiego is a joke. Period.

Those are the same yahoos who published the "article" about MLS teams padding attendance.

Posted by: alecw81 | January 21, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

As I was saying . . .

Posted by: philofutbol | January 21, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth...

signonsandiego.com is the San Diego Union-Tribune newspaper website. In case anyone was wondering.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | January 21, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse