Americans Abroad, Mid-Week Edition

GK Tim Howard, MF Landon Donovan for Everton vs. Sunderland
D Frank Simek for Sheffield Wednesday at Scunthorpe
MFs Maurice Edu, DaMarcus Beasley for Rangers at St. Mirren
GK Dom Cervi for Celtic vs. Hibernian

By Steve Goff  |  January 26, 2010; 4:59 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United, Holden, Cabanas, Blatter, Palace
Next: Wednesday Kickaround

Comments

I've got a feeling Donovan's going to get a goal tomorrow. At least, I think that's what I'm feeling. It might be something I ate.

Posted by: fischy | January 26, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Great goal by Chung-Yung Lee. Might make it harder for Holden to break into the Bolton lineup.

Posted by: fischy | January 26, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, maybe if the D-bag Neville passes the ball to Donovan we'll see something... thanks for the reminder.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 26, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Good seeing Spector and Hannemahn recording regular time as starters. After Everton's poor performance the other day, I wonder if Landon will get another start. Marcus really should be in Bradley's Top 3 at the moment for RSA.

Posted by: bartapest1 | January 26, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Cant argue with Marcus. I could even see him being the number 2. This is simply because he has more experience, and is currently playing. This is not saying Guzan won't be a top goalie -I think he will. Plus, so does Martin O'Niell, and his opinion worth 100k more than mine.

I still think Holden gets time. Maybe not consistent starting but I do think he will play. Gardner is absolutely terrible, but he does work hard. The good this is Holden has more skill and brings a good work ethic. Remember, Dempsey didn't command a starting spot right away either (I believe for almost a season). Give Holden time to settle. Playing spar minutes in the EPL will improve his game ahead of the world cup. Also, no one would doubt the fitness of Bolton, so Holden will be fine in that respect.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 26, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Also, dare I say the best game tomorrow will be the Manchester Derby. Forget the EPL, I'll be paying an outrageous price for a beer at my local watering hole (Flagstaff, AZ) to watch the game on Setenta.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 26, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Interesting to see former DCU GK Louis Crayton on trial with the Wizards...

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 26, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Dear Washington Post,

We miss Steve's full-time commitment and continuos blog posts. Please devote him fully to this blog.

Thank-you,
redskinsux

Posted by: redskinsux | January 26, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

I second Redskinsux, memo.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 27, 2010 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Unleash the Goff!

Posted by: dsheon1 | January 27, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Yahoo! sez Charlie Davies is running and jumping again, and expects to be training with Sochaux in one months' time.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | January 27, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

According to Deadspin, CD9 has also found the time to look at flops until the weeee hours of the morning.

Good for him.

Posted by: osgoodfan | January 27, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I heard Davies up and "fast walking"--I didn't here about "jumping" but I hope you're right.

What is it with Neville NEVER looking for or passing it to Donovan? Something's going on there.

Check out my interview with infamous soccer-hater, Jim Rome: