Cabanas Shooting, FIFA Cameras, Barca Goals

Salvador Cabanas, one of the Mexican league's most lethal attackers and a probable starter at the World Cup for Paraguay, was shot in the head during an altercation in Mexico City.

*FIFA to discuss goal-line camera technology. Hear, hear!

*Video from Barcelona's 3-0 victory over Valladolid, including an expert counter for Xavi's opening goal, Dani Alves's angled strike and Lionel Messi's simple finish:

By Steve Goff  |  January 25, 2010; 11:51 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , FIFA , Mexico , Spain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Kickaround
Next: Tuesday Kickaround

Comments

So far, two arrested, and it wasn't a robbery, supposedly.

Posted by: Reignking | January 25, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

"*FIFA to discuss goal-line camera technology. Hear, hear!"

Something tells me this won't actually happen until Blatter is replaced.

Posted by: Juan-John1 | January 25, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

The president of Club América says that it was a robbery attempt, not a bar fight as originally reported. Whether we believe him is up to us. Either way, a very sad situation.

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | January 25, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I forget - and I know it's been discussed somewhere...

...what does Columbus do about the CCL in the event that there is a lockout and it's not short?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 25, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 25, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

...Robert Warzycha is left wondering if Terrelle Pryor can play forward or midfield?

*ring ring* "Hello? Hold on...Devin? It's for you...some guy named Warzycha...something about a Crew?"

Posted by: SportzNut21 | January 25, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Goal line camera would have been useful in ANC match today. Appalling goal allowed.

Posted by: JkR- | January 25, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Ives' story on Gooch and Charlie is well more than worth a read...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 25, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Algeria just won a very exciting game against Ivory Coast. Not much good defense on display in the game, but certainly some attacking talent.

a good highlight reel is on Footytube

Posted by: bigbadbri | January 25, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Wow another awful broken ankle, this time in La Liga, for Filipe for Deportivo...

Posted by: Reignking | January 25, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Cabanas out of surgery, bullet still in his head (they don't think they can get it), and still in critical condition.

Posted by: Reignking | January 25, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Ok, now I'm reading they could remove the bullet. Too many conflicting stories out there right now.

Posted by: Reignking | January 25, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

that Davies story was amazing. potentially back on the field for Sochaux by April? I'm not sure he's human.

Posted by: VTUnited | January 25, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Charlie's wrestler body must be playing a role in his recovery. And he should be a poster boy for seatbelts (he was wearing his). I'm constantly being shocked by the number of accident victims who weren't buckled up.

Posted by: b18bolo | January 25, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I hope they don't introduce stoppages. Goal line technology in the form of a chip in the ball? I'm all for that. Video replay? Only to disallow goals. If they introduce some kind of stoppage to verify close goals, forget it.

Personally, I'm not opposed to just leaving it the way it is.

Posted by: Matte | January 25, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Reignking, what I'm reading on MedioTiempo says they couldn't get the bullet out of Cabanas brain (he was shot in the front of the head but its lodged towards the back). But the main danger is swelling and infection and they have no plans for now of removing the bullet.

The surgery was something called "craneotomia" which may mean something to those with more medical expertise than I have.

Anyway, he did survive a 7-hour operation and is in stable but critical condition. Hopefully, he can make a strong enough recovery to lead a normal life.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 25, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 25, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Yes, now they are back to saying it is still in there.

FYI MT accidentally posted an obit for him earlier. Duh.

Posted by: Reignking | January 25, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Pulling for Cabanas. I've daydreamed from time to time about him coming to DCU... I just hope he can live life.

On the Chuck D front, I'll go ahead and tell the boys I was watching the "game" with on Saturday: I told you so!!! Still a long way back for Charlie, but that's great news.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 25, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

The linked article about goal-line cameras says that the call for them has increased since the T Henrey handball. That suggests that the cameras would be used for something other than detecting if the ball crosses the line. I don't like that. The NHL instant replay system (goals only) is much better than the NFL's.

Posted by: regularfan | January 26, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

The article also discussed adding a 4th official. I think adding a 4th official to the field is better than video replay. If FIFA wants to do something to help the game, do something to help all levels, just not the pro. A fourth official would help keep players like Elizabeth Lambert under control. (New Mexico vs. BYU)

What are the chances of the 4th official being added?

Posted by: Chewie- | January 27, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse